Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Beta Weekend Change Anyone's Mind About the Game?

Comments

• hannibalektrhannibalektr Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by SkullE

Bought it

playing it

like it

Not sure what all the disapointment is all about? This is an MMO with tens of thousands of connections not a single player experience on a harddrive. graphics are great,  weather is great, story is great. sorry your not liking it but we are.

WHAT MMO DOES MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS??????????

The point is that no MMO's are meeting our expectations. We were hoping for something made by people with a creative mind like we saw with Skyrim and Oblivion. Something that sucks you in that you dream about when you sleep. Something that makes you feel that longing in the pit of your stomach as you drive home from work and you think in your mind "feed the cat, kiss the wife, take out the trash, then boot up ESO!!!!"... then you get home "Awww screw it, the cat can catch a mouse, the garbage isn't going anywhere and the wife can get a kiss anytime, BOOT UP ESO!!!"...

But no, this thing has potential, but it's so buggy so close to release it's a bit unnerving. On top of it all Yes we were expecting something spectacular here! And it's more of the same old shiz.... Does this answer your question?

• archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88
    i never pre ordered, but my 4 friends, 2 co workers , and a cousin, and my older brother all canceled pre order for eso today.
  • rain.birdrain.bird Member Posts: 16

the "whistle-past-the-graveyard" view of pre-ordered fans is more fun than the game itself ... they have a short time to fix a LOT of things - and if it goes out the door anything like this beta, it could flame out in an epic fail - that's a real prospect ...

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Even when some people will cancel their pre-order, i mean, it happened whit everysingle MMO befere. Is more likely that ESO will sell more Pre-orders and imperial edition upgrates aftes this weekend than cancels. 
  • DealdrickDealdrick Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Even when some people will cancel their pre-order, i mean, it happened whit everysingle MMO befere. Is more likely that ESO will sell more Pre-orders and imperial edition upgrates aftes this weekend than cancels. 

Based on what???  This is a rather ignorant claim

• hannibalektrhannibalektr Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by rain.bird

the "whistle-past-the-graveyard" view of pre-ordered fans is more fun than the game itself ... they have a short time to fix a LOT of things - and if it goes out the door anything like this beta, it could flame out in an epic fail - that's a real prospect ...

Exactly my thoughts, only you said it better. Not to mention when it does work, it's nothing new in the MMO arena.

Someone earlier said I've never played an MMO. << 10 years of end game content in one of the largest world first guilds in WoW, RIFT and SWTOR.

Guess you don't read people like Hannibal Lecter  read Clarice now can ya.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    I'm pretty undecided. After the huge disappointment with 4 months of the WildStar closed beta and the impression after my first beta weekend some weeks ago I was pretty sure I'll be getting ESO on release. But their marketing decisions (pre-order paygate, cash-shop) are horrible. And there are so many bugs that it's pretty hard to even get your character to 10 in a proper time. Couldn't try PVP so far.. leveled each class to 7-9. I think I won't pre-order and wait until Zenimax shows its real "face". Will there gonna be huge improvements? Or will they expand their cash-shop dilemma? We'll see.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by archeageking
    i never pre ordered, but my 4 friends, 2 co workers , and a cousin, and my older brother all canceled pre order for eso today.

What an amazing coincidence, ArchAge King. These cancelled pre-order stories are getting more believeable by the post.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I was convinced on my second Beta...

This third one for me is more about learning basics and trying things out to shape my upcoming main Character.

I Like the game....BUT I´m not sure if it´s going to last me much after the 1st month included since i already purchased it,

I totally HATE the idea of their cash shop.Not when paying a sub. And ofc not on day one.That is nasty greedy.

Isn´t what we pay for the Box and the montly subscription more than enough for THAT game?

In two months will have tons of items in cash shop.... I will not suport that.

• obake90obake90 Member Posts: 60

So many haters... HAHAHA

The game has a lot of bugs but what MMO did not?????

I would be playing the beta right now but I'm at work.. I miss it SooOOooOoo much

People complaining about dumb sh**. "I cant find the other weapons, I want things handed to me"(work for your weapon kill,buy, or make) "Wheres the starter zone?" (read the quest!!  this is why companies make theme park games because so many players need to be guided every step of the way, damn!)    " I hate the combat" (Why because you like to hit the auto button while watching tv?"  "  no end game" (Did you hit level 50?)  

Its a MMO, its going to take time.

For the players who are going to wait until most bugs are fix to buy this game, I write this.....

"In a  few months after game release, and you find yourself buying ESO... Just know that players who were there at the start will be waiting for you in Cyrodiil saying "Welcome bandwagoners"

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Originally posted by greenreen

Well I'm out now. Not purchasing. There was plenty I liked about the mechanics of the game but that horse and cash shop is a deal breaker for me. I said it months ago and I'll stick by it. You've got to have some personal standards and that's one for me.

I was a big enough fan looking for info watching multiple forums for info. Now I turned off all those other sites and am around here just /popcorning. I was able to go to other forums last night and look around at some other games. Haven't done that in awhile and peeked out into the PUB, still loud out there so I'll meander around some but I'm a no changie mindie. I'm out now and even if they said - it was just an early April fool's joke - I wouldn't believe them anymore.

I didn't even play the beta this round lol What's the point if I'm not going to be playing the game. I don't need to preview it or give them feedback. I only voted on that poll on the beta forums, left one post and that's that. Voting with my wallet is the adult thing to do.

lol for all the times you jumped all over any kind of criticism of the game.

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49

aside from their shady P2P with a services shop (aka we will play it sneaky and introduce cosmetics in it even though we have a sub after 6 months kind of business model)

HELL NO THANK YOU !

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Zzad

I was convinced on my second Beta...

This third one for me is more about learning basics and trying things out to shape my upcoming main Character.

I Like the game....not sure if it´s going to las me much (time will tell) but for sure i will enjoy it a couple of months...

Thing is, usually people play a MMO to stick with it for a long time instead of a couple of months. Thus the monthly fee. It has to be worth the money we're paying for it if.

The game needs more sandbox features, Cyrodiil becomes boring fast, even with coordinated groups after a while you find yourself going back and forward back and forward asking what's the point of it all? lol

No pvp outside Cyrodiil is lame also. Cyrodiil being so EMPTY is also very lame. Most of all is the Dark Anchors, those things are there just for show. They are easy as hell and if left alone cause no trouble, they ll just be there.

This game has a lot of potential and I say this because the game engine can handle A LOT . Just a matter how much the dev's are willing to listen to feedback and make a proper game.

At the moment TESO is an unfinished product which is lacking features that a MMO needs. Like carrots on a stick.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Interestingly enough, since the beta is still going on the people who are enjoying it are not here on the forums to comment - they're playing the game. As I'm about to do right ..... now. image
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by obake90

So many haters... HAHAHA

The game has a lot of bugs but what MMO did not?????

I would be playing the beta right now but I'm at work.. I miss it SooOOooOoo much

People complaining about dumb sh**. "I cant find the other weapons, I want things handed to me"(work for your weapon kill,buy, or make) "Wheres the starter zone?" (read the quest!!  this is why companies make theme park games because so many players need to be guided every step of the way, damn!)    " I hate the combat" (Why because you like to hit the auto button while watching tv?"  "  no end game" (Did you hit level 50?)  

Its a MMO, its going to take time.

For the players who are going to wait until most bugs are fix to buy this game, I write this.....

"In a  few months after game release, and you find yourself buying ESO... Just know that players who were there at the start will be waiting for you in Cyrodiil saying "Welcome bandwagoners"

"So many haters HAHAHA?"  Is that how you dismiss anyone who doesn't have anything but praise and adoration for every element of the game?  Because I've seen a lot of constructive posts in this forum from people voicing their feelings about the game and what they plan to do about preorders which is nothing like a hater post.

And "this game has a lot of bugs but what game did not????"  - Actually pretty much every big name mmo over the last 2-3 years has launched in a state much different than what USED to be the norm.  In its current state ESO is easily the most bug ridden I've seen this close to launch since Age of Conan or Vanguard.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67

Played 3 beta weekends, here's what I think.

The game, while well done for what it is, is nothing we haven't seen a dozen times before. It feels less like an ES game and more like a standard F2P MOG with an ES skin applied. There is nothing wrong with how they are doing the game, nothing wrong with the systems and mechanics, but they are by no means original. They did choose to emulate things that have already worked before, but there isn't really anything here that stands out from the pack.

Some people will find the color palate dull and monochromatic. Some will find it gritty and realistic. Some will find the character models repetitive and bland, some simply won't care about that. Some will find the armor skins ugly and dull, some will find them familiar and cool. Graphics have never been the deal-breaker for me; it's more the gameplay than the shinies.

The quest interface is at the same time holding your hand and frustrating you with minimal information. It's pretty faithful to the way the ES single player games handle it, but for a MOG I feel they should have either gone with a full-on WoW-style "GO HERE!!!" interface or an old-school "READ THE QUEST TEXT!!" approach. I have mixed feelings about which way, to be honest. I've gotten so used to having my hand held through quests I'm not sure I know how to do it on my own anymore, and I know a LOT of players are addicted to the quest location markers. I wonder if going old-school would kill the game, since you need a lot of players to make a go of it now.

For a game intended to be released in two weeks, there sure seem to be a hell of a lot game-breaking bugs still in it. I find myself consistently being brick-walled by an NPC who fails to advance a quest step, a trigger-mob who fails to spawn on the trigger action, a door that will not respond, a merchant who locks you into the interface, or am item that fails to activate. Often relogging or even reloading the UI will allow you to break out of the lock or move past the problem, but just as often I have found myself completely blocked from progress seemingly for good. Of the 5 character I have played, every single one of them has been affected in this manner. While I get that all games have bugs, it seems....odd for a game to have this many game-breaking bugs a fortnight before launch.

Perhaps I am dense, but I find myself seriously missing player and NPC tag labels. As I said, I might be dense, but try as I might, i can't find any way to turn these on, which means I have to cross-hair over ever NPC to tell who and what the hell they are. It is irritating to run past what you thought was an NPC, only to be attacked by a hostile mob because there was no tag and the only way to tell friend from foe is to target them and look for the faint red aura. It is just as irritating to have to search for vendors and key NPCs like this. I get that the tag labels interfere with the "immersion" of the game, but for God's sake, at least give those of us who want them the option to turn them on, especially since the color scheme and body skins kind of make everyone look alike.

Either go quest hub, or not. Random people wandering around the landscape with a quest for you that has minimal XP are useless. If you want a quest-based game, quest hubs are inevitable. Making me search over half the map to find a single quest feels like I'm wasting my time. I have no problem with quest-hub games. Nor with theme-parks. I don't mind a grind-game, either, or a sandbox. But I'm not sure what ESO is trying to be. Maybe it's something so innovative that I'm just not seeing it, but I've been playing these games since the original EQ and I've beta tested more than a dozen. I'm pretty sure I would notice innovation if it was put in front of me.

I don't mind the limited active skill slots. I actually kind of appreciate that. I remember looking at my WoW setup once years ago and throwing my hands up when I realized I had more than fifty active ability and item buttons up. I have no idea how I juggled that.

Not fond of the always-on mouse look. Hope they change that. Maybe I just missed the setting to alter it, but I looked.

In the end, I think that ESO is a good game, just not a game that breaks any conventions. It's a solid MMO that shoud really appeal to fans of the original series, but doesn't have much new to offer long-time MMO players. We've talked to these NPCs before when they had different names. We've done these quests before. We've seen these dungeons before, just with different shiny graphics. We've even played the 3-faction PvP before. None of these things are bad in any way, they're just......same old same old.

I just can't see plunking down $60 for a box, then $15 a month sub fee for an experience I could essentially play for free on any number of other games. If you love the lore, go for it. If you really want a new game and can spare the cheddar, why not? Just don't think it's going to be anything you haven't seen before.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67
    In the interest of full disclosure....I have to admit that if ESO was F2P, I would almost certainly play it. And I might be tempted if it was B2P. 
  • obake90obake90 Member Posts: 60

"Actually pretty much every big name mmo over the last 2-3 years has launched in a state much different than what USED to be the norm.  In its current state ESO is easily the most bug ridden I've seen this close to launch since Age of Conan or Vanguard."

AOC and vanguard were unplayable, You could not even level.

ESO I got to a happy level 20,15,10 with all three alliances. Yes, bugs but it was still very playable.

People hating because they are adding a cash shop... Who cares, what people buy from the shop, let them spend their money, you are not force to buy anything from the cash shop.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by the420kid

I dont know what you guys are waiting for or hoping for.

Gamers buy and play games especially new games, we consume content in the pursuit of having fun..

How is this game not worth 60 bones to you?  Stick of truth took me 12 hours to clear and was worth it, ESO guarantees more than 12 hours prob a good solid month minimum of fun times with hope that it holds my attention longer.

How is that not worth $60 compared to any other game?

Is it perfect? No.  Did I have fun and want to play more after trying beta?  Hell ya

I look forward to consuming this game like I do every game and if I bore after a month oh well wildstar it is although I kinda found wildstar a little 2 crazy but I will still buy and play it if I am done with or when I am done with ESO

$60 for a month of fun is cheap by any standards compared to other ways of having fun, gaming is a very economic hobby I blow more than 60 bones in a night out on the weekend how is ESO not worth 60?  the awsner is it is worth 60 if you dont have the cash thats a diff issue I respect that and wish you well in the next f2p game but if you arent broke buy ESO its worth it, lets have some fun...

Its a simple concept you cannot seem to grasp. If there's something i don't like then its not worth even 1 penny.

• TabmoweTabmowe Member UncommonPosts: 36
    i went into closed beta with an open mind and was totally dissipointed,played the last 4 beta weekends and im done.could not care less about this game.i wish it every success but i see it going the way of ToR down the line. super generic,crap graphics for 2014. it will please the fanboys for a while but its another GW2
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by SwashBuccaneer

Just curious how this beta has affected peoples' opinions of the game.

For some reason I find myself not really wanting to play the game anymore after playing this build and I don't know why.  :/

Yes, I am about to sell my Imperial Digital copy on ebay.

Bugs with no end. 30-40% of all quests bugged. Empty PvP, bugged NPCs in PvP killing you through walls. And I just experienced how vast and empty Cyrodiil really is, even in a full campaign it feels empty. Totally generic landscape design in Cyrodiil compared to PvE. And in PvE you have melee mobs hitting you from 3miles away.

This, is my summery of this weekends beta. Away with this account, very fast.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

If it wasn't for TESO's game engine which seems to be able to handle A LOT, I'd say this game has SWTOR written all over it.

They are rushing the release, the game feels incomplete. It lacks basic MMO features like:

_previewing an item

_inspecting another player

_requesting a duel

_battlegrounds so we can get how action fix for the day.

_the ability to world pvp while questing with no zone restriction, just random encounters.

_random quest events, public events, dynamic events, whatever you want to call them. I've seen a couple of those like NPC's being robbed by other NPC's and asking for help. This is a nice touch but only saw it once in 15 levels.

_Cyrodiil feels empty , there nothing happening in between keeps besides zergs.

_Dark Anchors is such a superficial feature that might aswell scrap it off the game. They can just be ignored thats it, won t hurt anyone, serve no purpose either.

_High End raiding content! Oh yes! Every MMO NEEDS THIS. Don't want to give out raids? Then give players sandbox features and they will make their own content.

This game needs AT LEAST another year in development.

I mean, I tried this game and my criticism just kept building up and up. Lots of potential, a complete lack of execution.

When I tried Wildstar, even though i m not a fan of the cartoonish look of it, I felt satisfied playing it. It was fun, its a MMO that learned from the mistakes of other MMO's in the past and shows it. The only issue I had with it was its lack of optimization.

With ESO it really feels like SWTOR all over again which sucks because I wanted these 2 to be great games, unfortunately they're not.

ESO has some very nice touches though. Crafting, PVE and PVP geared are not separated, graphics are gorgeous, you can block attacks (that's awesome), grouping tools, a LOT about this game shows great promise, great potential. From my MMO experience, if it isn't there don t get your hopes high.

• chrisp1846chrisp1846 Member UncommonPosts: 13

After plating the 3 beta's I was in...I still enjoy the game. It needs some work i give them that but I have pre-ordered the imperial edition and am looking forward to playing at launch. 

I see the price of purchasing the game as an investment in the development of the game. If they run the development for a year are we going to see the same game we have at launch? No idea but at least it gives them a decent time frame to work with a fully operation game.

If they delayed launch for another 6 months and changed thing how half the people want their will always the be other half who bitch and moan. Their is only so much compramise anyone can make before they just say they just dont want you money.