Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Beta Weekend Change Anyone's Mind About the Game?

15678911»

Comments

• darkrochidarkrochi Member UncommonPosts: 4
    i think the game was ok but some of the quests was bugged like crazy and some areas of the game i could not go to which was buged as well its not worth the up fornt price but i think over time it will get better image

Amazing New Program Shovels Cash
    in Your Bank Account and builds your
    Downline Faster than a Road Runner
    on Steroids.
    http://goo.gl/fdRUsQ

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

I don't know what mmorpg some of  these people were experiencing (acute skooma withdrawal probably), but as for myself, of course I am pre-ordering.

Akulakhan's Chamber here I come!

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76

Too much of the same, not really innovating, for me at least. I am glad to haven't pre ordered, I thanks beta invite for this.

Sad panda because I love ES series with passion for years....

Well I guess my MMO burnout didn't went away with ESO....

Diablo3 is the arpg I was really waiting for and Blizzard once again  deliver and they got my money! A must!

I can't wait the days until MMO goes like D3/Darksoul mediaval dark story sort of thing, main story around mini quests without the, go kill 10 rats and comeback, ho by the way go back to kill the boss you saw and comeback ect.........Boring, just boring...

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394

After they spent all that time on the starting areas and then basically took them out(yes I know they are still there!) instead of fixing the issue with them being "boring" I have cancelled my pre-order. The more I see it the less I see them wanting to make a great game and the focus more on making a quick buck. The game is not ready. The game is uninspired and coming from such a pedigree that is just unacceptable. The UI is horrid, controls and combat are clunky at best, and broken at the worst. 

When they took out the starting areas(more or less) they didn't change how any of the plot went and so they still act and treat you as if you had gone through it. If anything at the very least they are rushing the release to just get something outt here to make money off the game. Which brings me to the subscription...

Lets do some math. They sold Skyrim for 60, and a few months later DLC for 15-20 a piece, that content took months to develop and was great content. How is it anyone thinks charging $15 a month(price of DLC!) and not giving players DLC sized content updates monthly is fair? I was an Imperial Edition Pre-Order and I am wondering why they didn't just do Buy-to-play and sell some DLC every few months? I mean that would make the most sense to me. They could even have sold account services, and vanity items and they would get more people willing to play/buy by doing that.

I am pretty sure this game will not survive as a Pay-to-play game as it just will not get the content to justify it, nor are most people willing to pay these days when there are tons of free options out there now. They are entering a very crowded MMO space and honestly need to rethink their strategy here. Unless... They are trying to maximize what they think will be better profits by selling boxes and subs the first few months as they prepare transition to Free-to-play?

I don't know but what they are doing is bombing what could have been a great MMO all they had to do is look at Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and take the best of what The Elder Scrolls was, and add group content, a mature setting and just focused on the gameplay/lore. 

I know there are people who will like this, hell if you shine a piece of crap up nice enough there will always be those who think it's an expensive piece of foreign chocolate. Sadly the smell is still there to remind you that the game sucks.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I cancelled my pre-order at best buys for PS4 version to get it on PC in april but after that beta it had me thinking is this really going to be worth my time and effort ?.  I managed to get my character to 15 or so but with so many bugged quests it was discouraging and frusterating but i was well aware its BETA test. on top of this the leveling up to about lvl 10 was an uphill battle it wasn't difficult just really really boring for me so as it stands i don't have any pre-order at the moment because i'm still debating i wanted to get back into playing MMO games but on and off the game gave me that bored as hell feeling. it had its ups when i'd level and discover different abilities and crafting was interesting but the downside was how generic the game felt overall it was just a generic game with a TES paint job but maybe thats just me so i don't know where i stand if i'll pre-order it and buy it at all or not.
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

After trying this beta for half a day I gave up and cancelled after thinking it over for the rest of the weekend. The company has gone back and forth on what they said to many times and worse close to release. The imp. Horse was basically the standard horse with a paint job so nothing special, even worse it was then made available on day 1.

That move shows that the other bonuses from imp. Ed will be in the shop and most likely shortly, if they do it for in game money then due to more resource available they will be quick to purchase. There were less bugs 3 weeks ago then there are now, we are using a newer build and this close to release and still with bugs people have reported .. That's not good news. The last game it beta'd that left bugs like that was DDO eu and that launched with bugs we'd been reporting for ages in game and on the forum.

Launching a game based around dungeons and dragons where two weapon fighting switches the weapon in your main hand only .. So you have to manually equip both in battle, not good.

I'll get the game if they sort it out, in the meantime I have eq2 and a warlock that just started to past the time. Hope they fix the game and don't screw you all who do stay with it.

• I purposely haven't been playing the betas much, maybe a few hours.  Bu one thing struck me this beta after playing skyrim and this is not really an ESO specific thing.

I got my 1 gold beta imperial horse and rode through the zones since they opened up the starter zones.  I got to the the end of the zone where I couldn't ride anymore and basically there were bandits, zombies or werewolves like every 20 feet and I was thinking "Man daggerfall must be on the edge of collapse no large population of humans can survive when their grain fields are occupied by murderous beasts and bandits".

Now most MMOs are this way, but it really pretty damn stupid and i think its one of the main contributors to trivializing the feel of MMOs.  You run twenty feet and kill twenty reds.  And every single place on the map works this way.  Its like driving down the highway in the midwest,  nothing but flat road and flat land ad infitium.

Not gonna stop me from playing for a bit I don't expect anything different.  But its just struck me and when I thought back to my old MUD days.  They didn't do this, Your overland map was generally vastly differently populated than areas meant for conflict.  This is an MMORPG thing, EQ basically started it I would say.  Although later MMOs made the trend worse.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by SwashBuccaneer

Just curious how this beta has affected peoples' opinions of the game.

For some reason I find myself not really wanting to play the game anymore after playing this build and I don't know why.  :/

It one bug but a million quest with that bug, despite that major issue i think I had the most fun ever playing it, I personally cant wait to play again.

• hannibalektrhannibalektr Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Prod1702
    I wish i could cancel my pre order but green man gaming's refund policy is crap. Once they send you a key, they will not let you refund the game. They send you the 5 day early access key with the order invoice making it so that you can not refund the game even if it is less then 1 hour. So i most likely will play it for 30 days and if it gets better (most likely won't) then I won't sub.

The game hasn't released yet, so it's not an "opened box of software" yet. ESO has been (through phone support) refunding people's money. If you went through another retailer who refuses to refund you, then dispute it on your credit card. I believe you have 14 days to do so. End of story. 

I've seen many posts where people got their refund, and other posts like this one where I cringe because i know it's doable.

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by hannibalektr
    I wish i could cancel my pre order but green man gaming's refund policy is crap. Once they send you a key, they will not let you refund the game. They send you the 5 day early access key with the order invoice making it so that you can not refund the game even if it is less then 1 hour. So i most likely will play it for 30 days and if it gets better (most likely won't) then I won't sub.

The game hasn't released yet, so it's not an "opened box of software" yet. ESO has been (through phone support) refunding people's money. If you went through another retailer who refuses to refund you, then dispute it on your credit card. I believe you have 14 days to do so. End of story. 

I've seen many posts where people got their refund, and other posts like this one where I cringe because i know it's doable.

I got a full refund for ESO from GMG. The headstart key is not the retail key. You should be more than able to get a refund.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by MorningStarGG
    Originally posted by hannibalektr

I got a full refund for ESO from GMG. The headstart key is not the retail key. You should be more than able to get a refund.

Good for you. I however didn't even bother with pre order. I played beta and all my excitement was gone..poof!!

I am back to playing Morrowind and Skyrim for my Elder Scroll fix. image

• ValatheusValatheus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Last beta did not change my opinion, I'm still very looking forward to the game. :) The PvP sold me instantly, and I continued to have great fun in it over the three beta weekends I've been in.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Kinh021
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Originally posted by Kinh021

Guys

If you do not like doing quests, completing dungeons or anything else stop playing mmorpg and go do something else. It's like buying Battlefield and complain that everything you do is kill people. The game is actually very buggy (that is why I will not buy it now). But it's a great game.

I think maybe the folks canceling are tired of the same old Zzzz quests and weak dungeons in MMORPGs. People get bored fast these days and when a game just holds your hand and the dungeons are stupidly simple, people get bored :P Just a thought. I don't think because you don't like ESO you should stop playing all MMORPGs, but you should play MMOs that are interesting to you.

If you want to give stupid analogies, i guess you could say yours is like saying if you don't like how a Honda drives, don't buy a car because all cars drive. How about if you test drive a Honda and don't like it, don't buy it and try a different car that you may like. If you like cars, you just need to find the one that feels right to you.

I think I need to be more clear because you do not understand. The problem is not about liking or not ESO. Most of the criticism currently made on mmorpg's is the characteristics of the model. Would not like about the test drive of the Honda, but complain that the car has four wheels. The criticisms are on quests, npc's and dungeons. Ok, what you want to do in rpg? If not follow a story, talk to NPC's, fight to win stronger items to go on the quests I do not know the purpose. 

I understand that nowadays everything is faster, GW2 tried to improve the style of combat and still rained criticism. People want something new, surreal but that is far from reality.

Every people have a favorite style of game and there are thousands on the market. As a fellow there said above, did not like the interface, etc.. Passed on and all is right.

It has nothing to do with what you are talking about, its about the presentation.  I suggest you watch these three videos

Quest Design done right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otAkP5VjIv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur6GQp5mCYs

If you look at one of the quests that they mention its an Everquest quest. Sure its a quest but the way its presented is not like how most are presented. Same as the quests in TSW. Problem is EQ is dated and TSW while having good quests is not a great game. People are curious as to why I am waiting for Pantheon? Because its the same crew that did that Everquest quest spoken about in the first quest design video.  

Trion's ArcheAge Stream from GDC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7mTmDuAF4

ArcheAge sadly enough brings alot to the table with its sandbox systems. Does it have typical themepark questing? Sure it does but the questing is not what the game is about. You could be a crafter and play the game literally just crafting and transporting your wares across the continents. You could be a bard and MAKE UP SONGS, you could own a farm, and do soo many other things that the bad questing you don't give a damn about. This is what devs like Zeni don't get. We want the "bullshit" systems like these. Hell even the ability to just bullshit and hunt all day in Skyrim would have been welcomed

And I suggest you watch, read, or research anything associated to Everquest Next with its AI system, world of consequences and destructable world. A world of consequences is a big damn deal with you having to answer for your actions.

See the problem is not the genre, the problem is that within the genre we have lazy ass developers no longer making anything meaningful. It stings for many because Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion all have systems that would have been welcomed in TESO. 

And before anyone says "Oh but its an mmo you can't do the same thing you can do in a single player game"

I simply point to the ArcheAge stream again because you obviously have not watched it. 

People want to live in the world again, they want to do big world spanning grab up your friends Lord of the Rings we need to take the ring to Mount Doom quests. We could give a damn about some goddamned fetch quest or being level locked. Let me see the damn world again. And for those that are all about the pvp well I also point to the ArcheAge stream I posted here because I'd rather be able to build my castle myself and have a war than just taking over some keep. I'd rather be able to have big galleon style fights over the ocean with cannons and such. That is how you do pvp that I give a damn about!

Companies need to get with it and stop making shit! ArcheAge cost about 30 millon US dollars to make, 30 million where as TESO and TOR cost over a hundred million a piece! It begs to wonder what the hell these developers/publishers are doing with this money because it sounds like someone is getting robbed!

The problem is not with those that don't like those types of mmos, the problem is with the industry who caters to them and YOU type of players who are willing to give these lazy fucks a pass so willingly. 

Demand Better!

Dream Bigger!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I did not play the last beta, I played one the first ones, and i thought i was not going to play. I pre ordered my self, even after the payment got messed up with pay pal. I think there customer service is fine. 

I dont understand what all this talk of f2p is, considering that most of those cost more then a p2p. Not worth 60 bucks, you must be joking? The USA must be almost ready to fall, if people cant afford to pay 60 dollars for a video game.  60 bucks cant even get me to the nearest  big mall and back. So for 60 bucks, for even 10 hours worth of fun is fine with me.  Look at SWTOR, that game cost 59.99 then 15 or so a month. If you look at it now, there are people that spend way over 100 dollars a month to play it. I know i spent around that one month, before i quit to get something from the lottery boxes. And i was a light weight on those boxes. 

I am really happy with all they fixed since I played, and i am sure they will fix the remaining problems. There was talk in here about it being the same as everything else, well what your saying is.... Well I am just sick of cars, they all have 4 wheels, a engine, the head lights switch is in all of them, and the only difference between cars is they move the head light switch around. I mean come on, if you dont like rpg video games why even play, 

If there is really something more to a rpg, then what has been established and worked upon. Then go download one of the various emulators for mmorpg, mod it to your master plan, and show the world that mmorpg are suppose to be your way. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I was on the fence.  The AVA experience sold me on the game and I pre-ordered.

This is DAOC 2.

The pve.....I believe will improve.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

I m not pre ordering games anymore anyway. The past weekend and TESO beta reminded me why. Not going to buy TESO at least for a couple of months after release. After that? Give me some trial and i will see then...

btw i m playing Wildstar beta as i speak. Not anything that will reborn mmo genre, but at least much more fun than TESO. At least for me :)

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by Aroukos

I m not pre ordering games anymore anyway. The past weekend and TESO beta reminded me why. Not going to buy TESO at least for a couple of months after release. After that? Give me some trial and i will see then...

btw i m playing Wildstar beta as i speak. Not anything that will reborn mmo genre, but at least much more fun than TESO. At least for me :)

so are you preordering wildstar?