Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP or: these boots are meant for walking :/

2»

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

I see your post really brought out the immature trolls.

I agree the map is way too big. One of the things that was frustrating about GW2 WvW was all the endless running you had to do to find a fight somewhere. Fast travel options did help somewhat but even there, it was 90 percent running, and less than 10 percent gunning. I don't see how a bigger map than the one in GW2 is going to make that problem any better. Spending 10 minutes to get to a fight that is over in 10 seconds is not fun. Having to use consumables to rez people in RvR is just plain stupid.

Indeed.

You see, MMOs of the stone age era had "waiting" as part of the game. In EQ1 you had to sit and wait to have the mana regen. In EQ2 you had to sit and wait for boss respawn. In SWG the shuttle came every 15 minutes. Asf. But one day, the devs realized and that waiting and doing nothing was not really fun or entertaining, and people played games to DO something, not to do NOTHING. *gasp*

Yeah, unbelieveable, eh?

But there are still the handful of people, socialized in the MMO stone age, and they still can't believe that "getting fun right away" can be good. It's like people believed driving faster then 20 miles per hour would blow out your brain, when the first railway was built. Some people always fight against progress for the sake of. ESO tried to rewind the clock of time. No auction house. Vast nothings to ride through. It's just this: return of pre-modern game ideas for the mere sake of doing it.

Just FYI. That "getting fun right away" hasn't worked very well as far as a business modle. Every MMO that does it that way has been or is looked on as a failure.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Ok I enjoy most of the PVE stuff now patched as it is, with some issues here and there. But PVP... I just don't get into it. I did PVP (WvW) in GW2 for a LONG time. But here. Even though I have a horse, I feel like I spent 2/3rd of my time in WvW zone riding or walking.

Then I ride, seeking the battle, riding 10 minutes, only to be killed by 3-4 people hiding on the road. *shrug* That's just really unfun. I want to PVP to fight, not to walk!

At least in my book the PVP zone is simply WAAAY too big. -__-

It should take time to get back to the battle, otherwise it takes all the fun and sense of accomplishment out of DEFENDING.  What fun is there killing someone to have them show back up over and over and over 15 seconds after you kill them?

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Ok I enjoy most of the PVE stuff now patched as it is, with some issues here and there. But PVP... I just don't get into it. I did PVP (WvW) in GW2 for a LONG time. But here. Even though I have a horse, I feel like I spent 2/3rd of my time in WvW zone riding or walking.

Then I ride, seeking the battle, riding 10 minutes, only to be killed by 3-4 people hiding on the road. *shrug* That's just really unfun. I want to PVP to fight, not to walk!

Reminds me on Battlefield players meet Arma 3. :P

If you are getting killed on the road by enemies it is your own fault. You have to take this into concideration and this is actually already PVP. It is called an "Ambush". The enemy had a better strategy than yourself.

Since everyone can stealth in this game you have to be even more carefully.

This game offers more strategically gameplay and not just quick action.

Since the area is big you will have more threats and therfore aswell a penalty in form of "spawning back in your castle".

The size of the map and distance of the castles is actually a big plus in gameplay, you just need to change your own strategy.

By the way, someone did use a timer and it took him around 3 Minutes from one castle to the next one with just a low lvl horse, not ten minutes.

OP, you could just fill a bunch of soul shards and rez from where you died. Then just sneak away and continue on. I have been keeping a bunch on me to recharge my enchanted weapons, or a rez if I get killed. Probably easier that trying to get a BG put in the game.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by artemisentr4
    OP, you could just fill a bunch of soul shards and rez from where you died. Then just sneak away and continue on. I have been keeping a bunch on me to recharge my enchanted weapons, or a rez if I get killed. Probably easier that trying to get a BG put in the game.

You can't ress yourself in PvP area like you can in PvE. However you can always find some people to play with and ress each other. It's a multiplayer game after all.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by StarI

You can't ress yourself in PvP area like you can in PvE. However you can always find some people to play with and ress each other. It's a multiplayer game after all.

Self rezzing shouldnt be even possible.

Originally posted by StarI

Forgot that part, my bad. I guess you could offer free shards to anyone rezing you? image

R.A.Salvatore

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Another 'WAH!  I can't teleport everywhere!' post.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by spizz

Reminds me on Battlefield players meet Arma 3. :P

If you are getting killed on the road by enemies it is your own fault. You have to take this into concideration and this is actually already PVP. It is called an "Ambush". The enemy had a better strategy than yourself.

Since everyone can stealth in this game you have to be even more carefully.

This game offers more strategically gameplay and not just quick action.

Since the area is big you will have more threats and therfore aswell a penalty in form of "spawning back in your castle".

The size of the map and distance of the castles is actually a big plus in gameplay, you just need to change your own strategy.

By the way, someone did use a timer and it took him around 3 Minutes from one castle to the next one with just a low lvl horse, not ten minutes.

One example is one player on these forums who indicated that he took a quest that led him to a ruin way behind enemy lines. He used stealth, waited out the enemies "in the ruin" and finished the quest.

The problem here is not "waiting" the problem is not having the correct expectations of what certain types of gameplay demand.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Totally don't agree...I think the entire map should be open via a pvp server.  The zone isn't that big at all...once everyone is playing, you'll probably find that there will be so many people that you can't do anything.

That's what I put after last beta in the survey when it asked me what one thing I would like to see implemented or see changed about the game. A PvP ruleset where the factions battle over all of Tamriel. This would almost make it a perfect game in my eyes.

Isaiah 41:10
  • Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

Indeed.

You see, MMOs of the stone age era had "waiting" as part of the game. In EQ1 you had to sit and wait to have the mana regen. In EQ2 you had to sit and wait for boss respawn. In SWG the shuttle came every 15 minutes. Asf. But one day, the devs realized and that waiting and doing nothing was not really fun or entertaining, and people played games to DO something, not to do NOTHING. *gasp*

Yeah, unbelieveable, eh?

But there are still the handful of people, socialized in the MMO stone age, and they still can't believe that "getting fun right away" can be good. It's like people believed driving faster then 20 miles per hour would blow out your brain, when the first railway was built. Some people always fight against progress for the sake of. ESO tried to rewind the clock of time. No auction house. Vast nothings to ride through. It's just this: return of pre-modern game ideas for the mere sake of doing it.

Absolutely true. This game has many anti-fun elements thrown in as if they somehow enhance the game, just...because. After so many years of MMOs, you'd think they'd get the message that people play games for fun and not to experience relentless tedium. This game is a serious step backwards in many ways.

Of course, there is always that element of the gamer population that will attack any criticism of a game, no matter how valid. Kind of hard for developers to get constructive feedback when everyone is shouting praise in their ears where none is warranted.

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by cura

I see three explanations for your post. Either you didnt play the game, you are too stupid to embrace this kind of battlefield or its you who are immature troll.

I see only one explanation for your post.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Satarious

This is simply untrue. More people played WvW before the kinks were worked out than they do now and small group tactics back then were king. What happened with GW2 will happen in ESO as well, that is the big alliances that use corrdination to dominate the scene will break up, either because the players complain so much that they feel forced to, or lack of competition and boredom. What caused GW2 to become nothing but blob v blob was player mentality and the same thing will happen in ESO and the main reason being that it takes hard work and dedication to be skillful outside the blob and the blob allows solo players to feel part of an army without putting in that work. 

I say this due to my experience in the Titan Alliance in GW2. Mark my words, the same thing will happen in ESO.

You lack context, my friend.  If you ever played daoc (which ESO is more similar to, not GW2 like I see many wrongly comparing it to), you'd realize that bigger maps give you more variety in pvp and breathing room for large scale strategic decisions.  This all comes down to common sense, people:  The smaller the map, the less options you have and the more you funnel people down one path to victory.

Everything is made up of molecules.  So the principle of small vs. large pvp maps is pretty similar to a SOLID vs LIQUID.  A solid is basically a bunch of molecules packed closely together in a small space, whereas a liquid has molecules spread out and has more flexibility to flow in all different directions.  A small pvp map is very static and rigid with no divergent activity, never changing.  Whereas a large map is flexible and free flowing with molecules (players?) flowing in all sorts of directions.

I played DAoC. What you are failing to acknowledge is that player mentality is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The reason I used GW2 was to prove that blob vs blob isn't only influenced by the map size. Yes, GW2 is small in comparison compared to ESO; however, guerrilla tactics and dedicated small groups often did change the out come of the battle completely by penetrating deep into enemy territory. This all STOPPED once the people who actually cared about that style of play quit. Also, unlike DAOC, only a tiny portion of the game is focused on RvR and RvR has very little impact on the general population's ability to enjoy the game. There will be no "forced" entry in to the RvR area to get the best gear/weapons because that would put a dent into their paying player numbers (sub or not), giving even less reason for people who are bored or don't want to get involved to stay engaged. 

Trust me, ESO won't turn out any differently because the game isn't designed to make people care about it.

So find a group of people who like that style of play and resurrect it?  You just seem to be ranting. 

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Draemos

This is simply untrue. More people played WvW before the kinks were worked out than they do now and small group tactics back then were king. What happened with GW2 will happen in ESO as well, that is the big alliances that use corrdination to dominate the scene will break up, either because the players complain so much that they feel forced to, or lack of competition and boredom. What caused GW2 to become nothing but blob v blob was player mentality and the same thing will happen in ESO and the main reason being that it takes hard work and dedication to be skillful outside the blob and the blob allows solo players to feel part of an army without putting in that work. 

I say this due to my experience in the Titan Alliance in GW2. Mark my words, the same thing will happen in ESO.

You lack context, my friend.  If you ever played daoc (which ESO is more similar to, not GW2 like I see many wrongly comparing it to), you'd realize that bigger maps give you more variety in pvp and breathing room for large scale strategic decisions.  This all comes down to common sense, people:  The smaller the map, the less options you have and the more you funnel people down one path to victory.

Everything is made up of molecules.  So the principle of small vs. large pvp maps is pretty similar to a SOLID vs LIQUID.  A solid is basically a bunch of molecules packed closely together in a small space, whereas a liquid has molecules spread out and has more flexibility to flow in all different directions.  A small pvp map is very static and rigid with no divergent activity, never changing.  Whereas a large map is flexible and free flowing with molecules (players?) flowing in all sorts of directions.

I played DAoC. What you are failing to acknowledge is that player mentality is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The reason I used GW2 was to prove that blob vs blob isn't only influenced by the map size. Yes, GW2 is small in comparison compared to ESO; however, guerrilla tactics and dedicated small groups often did change the out come of the battle completely by penetrating deep into enemy territory. This all STOPPED once the people who actually cared about that style of play quit. Also, unlike DAOC, only a tiny portion of the game is focused on RvR and RvR has very little impact on the general population's ability to enjoy the game. There will be no "forced" entry in to the RvR area to get the best gear/weapons because that would put a dent into their paying player numbers (sub or not), giving even less reason for people who are bored or don't want to get involved to stay engaged. 

Trust me, ESO won't turn out any differently because the game isn't designed to make people care about it.

So find a group of people who like that style of play and resurrect it?  You just seem to be ranting. 

They exist, but they ultimately don't stay interested in games like this because there isn't any reward to domianting outside of ego, which gets old after awhile. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

What? If anything the map has too much fast travel options. You did use the transitus shrine didn't you?

Larger map offers more playstyles and more strategy. You can always go GW2 WvW if you want instant action and flipping a tower/camp/keep every 3 minutes.

I like WvW too, but IMO the map sizes are way too small and it ends up into ZvZ only. It's even more pathetic in the EotM.

Originally posted by tom_gore

What? If anything the map has too much fast travel options. You did use the transitus shrine didn't you?

Larger map offers more playstyles and more strategy. You can always go GW2 WvW if you want instant action and flipping a tower/camp/keep every 3 minutes.

I like WvW too, but IMO the map sizes are way too small and it ends up into ZvZ only. It's even more pathetic in the EotM.

The same will happen in ESO in the long run. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Then they should by next year repackage their pvp as a f2p to bring more players for the pvp. It's similar to dota/lol, and it's a free client for pvp but also have tournaments. However, they need to turn their maps more into something that has a conclusion within an hour.

they could share server populations as well later on, but then they wouldn't have to repackage. I would like to see it more of an e sport that it's fun, rewarding and short rather than something too long winded and requiring good guilds.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Incomparable

Then they should by next year repackage their pvp as a f2p to bring more players for the pvp. It's similar to dota/lol, and it's a free client for pvp but also have tournaments. However, they need to turn their maps more into something that has a conclusion within an hour.

they could share server populations as well later on, but then they wouldn't have to repackage. I would like to see it more of an e sport that it's fun, rewarding and short rather than something too long winded and requiring good guilds.

You do realize if this is what you turn into you'll lose all the people who only bought ESO because they feel that the PvP is good/decent? Why play LoL with an ES skin when LoL already dominates the MOBA market... 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

Indeed.

Yeah, unbelieveable, eh?

I think you're confusing real life with games.  Progress is GREAT for real life.  It makes life much less tedious than it used to be since you don't have to spend 13 hours a day in some mine, a farm, or at the steel mill.  

In games,on the other hand, you're playing primarily for the challenge.  There's other reasons people play PvE, but for PvP, it's all about the challenge.  The problem with some of these new games like WoW (or its clones) is that they've stripped way too much challenge out of the game.  And that's just a recipe for boredom, as far as I'm concerned.  What's the purpose of even playing a game (especially pvp) if there is no challenge?  If your heart is not pumping when you venture out into an RvR area, then it's a failed implementation as far as I'm concerned.  And NO, these sad excuses for RvR like GW2 (which is basically just a glorified instance) don't make your heart race since the death penalty is basically meaningless in that game.  There's no consequence of taking a long time to run back.  People just pop back in like a bobbing punching bag.

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

Guys you qqued so much about no open world PVP  here it is   Open world PVP ..... it's all about unfair ganks .