Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Players/Devs Dont Like Open World PVP?

Comments

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by drowelf
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by davc123

why devs dont like open world pvp ?  almost all new/old games are  with arena pvp

for me is pvp arena boring 

enjoyed a lot of more  with open world pvp (Lineage 2  / A rcheage)

Hope any good game coming soon with open world pvp / pk

Western gamers still haven't evolved yet... its quite disgusting.

Still fighing to the brink of death on the main roads with their best gear in pvp areas? Then when somebody does the inevitable they quit and blame OWpvp. There are precautionary measures one could take to minimize unfavorable situations like staying off the main roads, don't wear anything you can't make yourself and bank often.

This is all common sense however the majority of the games today softened that part of the mind. When you leave your world where all the horrible things in life are stopped by game Design/Rulesets and enter another world where there are none, you shout "Griefer and Troll" when they are merely just "Opportunist".

So continue to let the actions of others dictate what games you play.

Ah yes all the While the Pvper has gear that gives him the advange +12 hackmaster +30 plate and boots of speed and the shield of Zues and filed of Defence -30 all damage.  While you have +0 chain and a+1 longsword fair fight yeah Right!

OWpvp games rely more on skill so there isn't alot of equipment designed to make people feel "special", most of the good equipment is player made. So you don't see people running around with "Boots of speed" or "shield of so-forth" unless they were made which also means my point in the first post remains relevant and yours... not so much.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I always felt that Open world PvP would be served better if it was limited to a 5 level difference, the whole max level troll slaying level 5 players is just anti community, if there was a level limit then at least the player that was 5 levels lower might have a decent chance to defend themselves, or if it was too harsh be more equipped to run to safety.

Max level toons ruining the beginner areas just ends up frustrating new players who are trying to figure out the game in the first place.

Lolipops !

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by funyahns
     Because it only takes a handful of idiots to drive off paying customers.

This simply isnt true, there are plenty of games out there that require little to no pvp. It is not the Dev's most the time it is the companies paying the bills. The reality is if I am a CEO of a company my 1st and for-most goal is to get as much revenue as possible into the hands of the investors. Taking out a potential client out of the equation is never going to happen as long as you deal with large organizations.

With that said smaller companies and Kickstarters are going to provide the best results for what a PVP orientated community would want. I for one LOVE shadowbane when it was live ( I think a emulator is out now) and I would back a Kickstarter making SB2 with a large donation. 

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Because I don't like having be goals be interfered with, restricted, or held back by another person.
    As part of that I don't like having to depend on other people for my entertainment.

The two together mean that open world PvP for me is more restrictive, more dependant and less freeing than a straight theme park pve game
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    @hellidol. How is what he said not true?

Just because there are other games that require little or no pvp does not make his statement untrue.

Yes a dev can do something about it. It still doesn't make what he said untrue.

Yes a dev fits want to max their pl ayerbase and they absolutely will ignore a potential customer I'd that customer end up reducing their pl ayerbase more than they enhance it.
    Bah dumb phone.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

why devs dont like open world pvp ?  almost all new/old games are  with arena pvp

Still fighing to the brink of death on the main roads with their best gear in pvp areas? Then when somebody does the inevitable they quit and blame OWpvp. There are precautionary measures one could take to minimize unfavorable situations like staying off the main roads, don't wear anything you can't make yourself and bank often.

This is all common sense however the majority of the games today softened that part of the mind. When you leave your world where all the horrible things in life are stopped by game Design/Rulesets and enter another world where there are none, you shout "Griefer and Troll" when they are merely just "Opportunist".

Ah yes all the While the Pvper has gear that gives him the advange +12 hackmaster +30 plate and boots of speed and the shield of Zues and filed of Defence -30 all damage.  While you have +0 chain and a+1 longsword fair fight yeah Right!

OWpvp games rely more on skill so there isn't alot of equipment designed to make people feel "special", most of the good equipment is player made. So you don't see people running around with "Boots of speed" or "shield of so-forth" unless they were made which also means my point in the first post remains relevant and yours... not so much.

Which open world PvP games depend more on skill than gear?  Because it's not Eve, WoW's PvP servers or Rift's PvP servers.  Mortal Online or Darkfall?  I'm not familiar enough with those games to really answer that.  Does anyone who plays those games know?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Which open world PvP games depend more on skill than gear?  Because it's not Eve, WoW's PvP servers or Rift's PvP servers.  Mortal Online or Darkfall?  I'm not familiar enough with those games to really answer that.  Does anyone who plays those games know?

it does'nt really matter.. because in an optimal owpvp scenario even if you're a lowbie you'll get friends to help you out and it will go back and forth til one side gives up.. it's just nowadays people are'nt communicating anymore so when someone tries to bring it about the opposing side usually just rolls over.. and tbh i dont think it would work in todays mmo's anymore.

now everything is about quick access with minimal participation. i mean come on loads of  people dont even play anymore they just use bots instead.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AbardomasAbardomas Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by bcbully
    They are coming. Everywhere you look, from EQN:L to SotA, people are asking for a in depth pvp experience. ESO will be a hit because of Cyrodiil. Most importantly is the new generation of gamers. They want it.  There is no way you can get a 13 year old kid to sit down and do some quests. Everyone from boys to girls in their generation PvPs.  Until someone can come up with something other than quests, and dungeons for PvE content, the demand for that  stuff will continue fade.

I'm hoping ESO will be a hit! :D

It's actually really fun so far and I'm very much looking forward to this weekend's beta

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by askdaboss
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Because it's a video game, and any activity that is non-consensual is non enjoyable. It's really not that hard to figure out, it's pretty much a given that human beings detest being forced to do anything.

Yeah, well, except for the fact that if you sign up for a game that tells you there will be non consensual PvP on the box... Then by definition it becomes consensual. So no.

And most people don't play that "consensual open pvp" game. That tells you something about people's preference.

Originally posted by Apraxis

But at least nowadays almost any deverloper knows that pvp is a highly, successful mass market, because of games like BF, like MOBAs and like DayZ.. now we just need a few good, and working mass pvp formulas.

e-sport is the pvp formula. Just look at LoL and SC2.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

My only open pvp experience: Age of Conan

*click npc to receive a quest*

*see your char shaking and screaming in the cutscene*

*drop dead and realize someone had been waiting for you to click that npc*

Open pvp has nothing to do with a constant challenge - it's just a way for grievers to release their stress from their pitiful real lives.

Harbinger of Fools
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Just because there are other games that require little or no pvp does not make his statement untrue.

Yes a dev fits want to max their pl ayerbase and they absolutely will ignore a potential customer I'd that customer end up reducing their pl ayerbase more than they enhance it.

It sounds like you are replying from a phone so I will try to understand what you are asking and what you statement is staying.

No, a dev has his hands tied and often try to tell the public about it when it happens without saying so as to not get them self into trouble.

No, they wont ignore them that is business 101 tbh, they might put them on the back burner but ignoring them wont happen. The type of product also focus on its strengths, meaning if it is pvp driven it will focus more on that and the rest wont matter. If it has both elements (pvp/pvp)  and are trying to maximize both potential customers, this causing a whole new issue. 

One approach would be the wow method, its more of a balancing act. This method is an idea they might have gotten from the U.S. Gov't. To maximize revenue they adjust to what the customers want. If they are adjusting a class to be more "powerful" later on they might do the same to another later on down the road. Since wow is heavily character orientated this is one way they keep people interested in the game. 

Also to assume that pvp'ers cause more harm then good is a ignorant statement, this has many more factors to it and is not black and white as some would lead you to believe.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If open zone means pve/pvp mix then yep pvp players may attack pve players using pvp tactics but equally a pve player should be able to equally inconvenience a pvp player by applying pve tactics to them (jailed for x minutes). And there lies the rub, griefers and flankers don't want an even playground.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

There are good open world pvp games currently in the market. You just need to look. This is a video I made last night of our alliance getting double sieged in Darkfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjU0ltLdaU&feature=youtu.be

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I havent played Darkfall but in Mortal Online, yes these type of  purple "Uber Sword of Destruction" items dont exist... there are different metals to craft weapons with, and while the most expensive ones (Cronite and Oghmium) are better than the others, the damage doesnt scale as much so you wont go out 1 hitting people with it. Also since the combat system is actually FPS like (you can compare it to Chivalry) someone with really good gear can still be destroyed in a fight with someone of superior skill but worse gear (altho if theyre the same skill lvl, the one with better gear will obviously win as they can take more hits)..

BTW Mortal Online is not FFA, it has a flagging system like UO, where red are murderers and cant enter town and blues are the good guys... Here is what happens all the time in MO, reds go out looking for a fight, they end up outside of a blue town killing noobies (usually just once or twice to get them noticed)... then these noobies will scream "REDS" inside of town, and hordes of anti-pkers will start rallying up to fight the red force.... You may think theyre fools for standing up the mighty gankers only to be slaughtered like sheep right? Well most of the time they end up killing the invading force, because if they die they can respawn in town and go back to the fight, while the reds will spawn with stat loss unless they go back to their own keep (if they have one) to ressurect there...

At hellidol

That still doesn't mms what he said untrue. You have examples of what a dev can do about it but you did not state why the statement is untrue.

Why do players and devs ignore o wpvp? He started because it only takes a few idiots to drive away paying customers. You said it's untrue and gave examples of what they can do about it but did not give reasons why it's untrue, only what they can do to mitigate it.

A business absolutely will ignore a customer that costs them more money than they make. Specialized businesses do it all the time. It's even becoming a mantra, "Don't be afraid to fire as bad customer"
    Originally posted by coretex666

I would like to relate to this.

I think OWPvP requires adequate regulatory mechanisms in place in order to have positive impact on the atmosphere and general entertainment. In number of games with OWPvP, the devs failed to implement such mechanisms, so that it was possible for people to significantly negatively affect other people's gaming experience.

I think that what these posters say is correct, but it is not something that could not be prevented. I think people generally do not realize this and form their opinion based on games which do not have OWPvP regulated which is why OWPvP has become such a hated aspect of MMOs for significant, probably major, portion of players.

Any thoughts?

There is no evidence that it can be prevented effectively to the satisfaction of most customers.

Secondly why take the risk at all? It is not like there is a huge audience demanding ow pvp. The simple solution is just not to include it.

In fact, as a customer, i use the same strategy. Sure, there may be ways to prevent griefing ... but so what. I can easily just choose a game without ow pvp.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Gaxusn
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Because open PVP expose players to lose/defeat, breaking their ilusions of power and strenght that slaughter of dumb/weaker npcs brings. Open PVP demands a little more atention, mental work, training, study of the character and smartness in general, which alienates the majority of mmo players.

Smartness? Get a grip.

Was this to boost your own ego? Do you feel smart compared to others because you PvP? 

/Sigh

Online game accomplishments matter!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by free2play
    Originally posted by funyahns
     Because it only takes a handful of idiots to drive off paying customers.

They are like poison.

A half a teaspoon of snake venom can wreck a lot of havoc on a 240 lb man. Add in the popular free client, multiple account game models and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Anyone remember the virgin years of the internet when Yahoo chat was the flavor of the day? 5 or 10 people would be in a chat room for a half hour or so and without fail, the spammers would arrive and force everyone out of the chat, break the moment up. It was deliberate, static traffic isn't traffic and the flaw in FFA is that other companies can shill crash your static user base with a little destruction. People happy in a game world are no longer potential customers.

You consider the virgin years of the internet the time of Yahoo Chat?  lol.

OP, pve players don't need you.  You need pve players.    Simply said, you don't have much power in the situation. 

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Hellidol
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

It sounds like you are replying from a phone so I will try to understand what you are asking and what you statement is staying.

No, a dev has his hands tied and often try to tell the public about it when it happens without saying so as to not get them self into trouble.

No, they wont ignore them that is business 101 tbh, they might put them on the back burner but ignoring them wont happen. The type of product also focus on its strengths, meaning if it is pvp driven it will focus more on that and the rest wont matter. If it has both elements (pvp/pvp)  and are trying to maximize both potential customers, this causing a whole new issue. 

One approach would be the wow method, its more of a balancing act. This method is an idea they might have gotten from the U.S. Gov't. To maximize revenue they adjust to what the customers want. If they are adjusting a class to be more "powerful" later on they might do the same to another later on down the road. Since wow is heavily character orientated this is one way they keep people interested in the game. 

Also to assume that pvp'ers cause more harm then good is a ignorant statement, this has many more factors to it and is not black and white as some would lead you to believe.

If one player goes around ganking the newbie area and causes 2 new players to leave the game, that is something that can't be made back.  He could cause more people to quit as well.

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

Open world pvp in most of my past games has unfortunately been ruined by people rolling on the wrong server type and then very vocally complaining about it for months/years.

Makes me a very sad orangutan.
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    From my experience, the porblems that people and devs have woth owpvp is rooted in 3 things.
    1. Unable to balance classes.
    2. Fear of losing customers due to bad implementation of pvp.
    3. Players who feel entitled and play on servers with rulesets that go against their favored ruleset.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Originally posted by waynejr2

OP, pve players don't need you.  You need pve players.    Simply said, you don't have much power in the situation. 

Yeah ... this discussion is pretty much moot.

I won't play pve games with open pvp .. and there is pretty much nothing that can force me to do so. And the market has pretty much spoke on this issue too.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

players: 

Like me I just want to relax thank you

Devs:

PvP brings out the troll in the community. People yelling and screaming at each other saying that the ball was out of bounds but the ref was to blind to see. They perfer not the drama

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me