Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: To Pre-Order or Not?

Comments

• PhayzPhayz Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I would if I could actually run the game above 15fps...which is weird because I can run pretty much every other game out there on ultra with 70fps+. Really wish they would optimize the game a little better. Guess I'll just play ESO.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Game looks like crap. See the gameplay with angry Joe, he hates it. Seems to be completely boring. One generic kill-x, collect-y quest after another...

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

NEVER pre-order anything without having had hands on, and/or 3rd-party INDEPENDENT reviews from reviewers you have found worthy of believing. "pre-ordering" just another gimmick companies use, don't ever trust them not for a second, they are not your friends/buddies/confidants. Don't trust companies, or "developers" (I know there are actual cults around some of these companies and "dev's", which is just as insane as the snake-handling cults), not for a second, their interests and yours are not the same.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Hopefully it goes smoothly for the Wow style players who are into this sort of thing. Personally I tried beta a few times as was invited to long term testing last fall but I couldn't even get past the tutorial. I have lost all interest in these cartoon mmos.

You stay sassy!

• SatanixxSatanixx Member UncommonPosts: 17

I never pre-order.

I'll buy it if I can try it first but would never buy a MMO on blind faith. Let alone pre-order one.

The only time I bought an MMO on blind faith is Age of Conan and we know how that launch went.

They could send over a couple of strippers and a few 8-balls as a pre-order bonus and I still woudln't do it.

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by zelaex
    Originally posted by stylesd88
    Honestly, people may hate on this game a lot because this game does not baby you any step of the way while leveling, its a shame how quickly some people may get frustrated with such a good game.

Ehm.. no? This is a joke, isn't it? I can't name a MMO with more hand holding than WildStar. Everything is clearly visible on the map. You always know where to go. All important items are highlighted with a big glowing gear wheel symbol from far away. If you're getting lost there's this giant arrow floating over your head which you can activate to see where you have to go. And then there are these mini games.. which you can fail intentionally and succeed anyways. It makes no difference if you click at the right time or remember the right color order.. the only punishment is a little knockdown for your character. The quest is fulfilled anyways. It should name itself "WildStar - the big carebear MMO". Never played such an easymode MMO.

As a fan of ESO, Im glad to see you that you at least put "more hand holding" because both games have an equal amount of it.  Its the nature of Themeparks these days so its not a big deal.  If you are going to complain about being able to bring up an arrow to show you where the general location of your quest is in Wildstar, you must really hate the fact that you have a compass in ESO that does the same exact thing.  As far as the mini games go... i think a few of the early ones will still succeed with stuns or knockbacks ( maybe due to bugs ) but the ones later in level do not.

I am definitely going to preorrder Wildstar because despite all of faults, the positive outweighs the negatives to me.  

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Definitely a big no.

Maybe if im bored in winter 2014/15 i'll take a third look at WS, but the beta impressions were quite underwhelming for me. Sometimes you would think Carbine loves quantity over quality in every aspect of the game.

Hodor!

• leptlept Member Posts: 4

What do ethics have to do with it?  And whether that characterization is inaccurate depends entirely on how similar two games need to be for a given player to think there aren't substantial differences.  Wildstar is, arguably, more similar to WoW than any other game released since WoW has been.  Is it exactly the same?  Of course not.  But a very large amount of the design philosophy could have been ripped directly from the vanilla WoW team.  They even have the token Undead race in the otherwise "good" faction, just like WoW.  (If you think the Alliance were presented as the good guys in WoW, you weren't paying very close attention.)

I believe those similarities in design philosophy are due to Carbine being founded by 17 members of the Vanilla WoW development team.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

Insta Pre-order for me.  Wildstar is the MMO I have been waiting for- never got into WoW, CoH closed down, TSW is cool but doesn't have the longevity of Wildstar, and I like Aion... but I don't like fairy wings.

Wildstar finally callin' meh home!

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Been in beta a while so I was hoping the game would grow on me (the graphics don't really jive with me.) Luckily the engineer class came along and liven things up a bit. So I will be preordering but I won't be picking up a copy anytime soon, especially since they've now announced that there will be no collectors edition. 

Oh well, I'm sure I'll have plenty to keep me busy. Hopefully things go well and WS turns into a solid success. It does so many things right even if reminds me of this:

Never really got into that series, although I hear it's very successful.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Major major yes, no MMO coming out this year will come close to it in fun/game design.  Content is to be determined but I have my money ready.
  • TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

Waiting to get into one of the final beta weekends before I choose to order the game.  Hopefully they have some sort of open beta weekend near launch.

From an outsiders view, there seem to be a few new ideas but a lot that is the same old stuff all over again.  I've read the posts that hit right after the NDA dropped and think there's a lot of vocal minority in there (they want to be the first to be heard and the loudest to be heard), but I do believe that there are repeated statements that probably have truth to them (such as disappointment in paths).  Still, I'm interested to try the game.  I just don't want to throw money at it... yet.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I was planning to pre order but the one beta weekend i played was enough to make me loose all interest in the game.

I am sure it will have a lot of players who will love it but for me it just was the most boring game i ever played.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Getting some good time in the beta was enough for me to realize this game isn't one I'll be playing at launch or at anytime, but I hope those do playing enjoy themselves.

Also, based on the forums here and elsewhere I really do believe this game is going to pretty much be for wow players wanting a new game to play that doesn't deviate much from what they are used to.  I'm sure there will be exceptions, but it seems the vast majority of the fans of the game I'm seeing either are current wow players or former serious wow players.  Nothing wrong with that, just noticing the definite trend.  

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Done with pre-orders.  Between some very nice single player games coming out (Wastelands 2, Age of Wonders 3, Pillars of Eternity, M&M X which granted it is more for nostalgia than anything else), Warlords, and wrapping up school this summer and will finally be in the workforce again I have plenty to do this year and early into the next. 

Also will be waiting and see how the game fairs at the end of the year and into the next.  Strongly believe that this games fate will end like all the others since it really doesn't bring anything new to the genre, just more rehashing of rehashes.  More excited for Pathfinder Online if they can get the combat system appealing, which is hard to say how it will turn out since it's very early alpha of the footage given.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

This will be the first MMO, and first game, that I have ever bought the most expensive edition which are usually CEs..in this case digi deluxe.

And those of you waiting on EQN...keep waiting.  That game won't be released until earliest, late 2015...probably 2016.  They just announced it this summer, they are full steam in Everquest Landmark ALPHA(or is it beta now?).  Even though there are seperate teams working on it, I highly doubt they are planning a 2014 launch or even 2015.  I wish it would launch sooner, but it won't.  I was so stoked for EQN but saw how little info they are giving us and how little info they are sharing with us as far as development goes.  And how much they are pushing EQL.  So I've given up on it for now and put it off my radar.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Ticonz
    As a fan of ESO, Im glad to see you that you at least put "more hand holding" because both games have an equal amount of it.  Its the nature of Themeparks these days so its not a big deal.  If you are going to complain about being able to bring up an arrow to show you where the general location of your quest is in Wildstar, you must really hate the fact that you have a compass in ESO that does the same exact thing.  As far as the mini games go... i think a few of the early ones will still succeed with stuns or knockbacks ( maybe due to bugs ) but the ones later in level do not.
    I am definitely going to preorrder Wildstar because despite all of faults, the positive outweighs the negatives to me.  

I'm lvl 50 and there were no puzzles or mini-games which didn't succeed although I was pushing the wrong button/color. Are they bugged or am I blind? Regarding the hand holding aspect.. well if you're an explorer who goes for a so called "treasure hunt mission" you're expecting an actual search, aren't you? Once again you're only able to find it with the help of that arrow. The problem isn't an optional help for your missions.. the problem is that you can't find these items without it. There should be a descriptions with hints so that not-lazy players can find them in their manner. It feels like an occupational therapy. That's what bugs me the most. And I don't know why you mention ESO.. I never said that it has no hand holding in it.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• john25301john25301 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Shut up and take my money! Been playing Beta and so love this game.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Originally posted by Sperows
    Originally posted by stylesd88
    Honestly, people may hate on this game a lot because this game does not baby you any step of the way while leveling, its a shame how quickly some people may get frustrated with such a good game.

Ehm.. no? This is a joke, isn't it? I can't name a MMO with more hand holding than WildStar. Everything is clearly visible on the map. You always know where to go. All important items are highlighted with a big glowing gear wheel symbol from far away. If you're getting lost there's this giant arrow floating over your head which you can activate to see where you have to go. And then there are these mini games.. which you can fail intentionally and succeed anyways. It makes no difference if you click at the right time or remember the right color order.. the only punishment is a little knockdown for your character. The quest is fulfilled anyways. It should name itself "WildStar - the big carebear MMO". Never played such an easymode MMO.

Clearly you haven't played WoW yet.

Yeah, WoW has been so diluted and dumbed down.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Too many bad launches and too many times the game far below the hype.

No more pre-orders.

If this case, in particular, I cannot stomach the art choice of LSD + Saturday morning cartoons.  I will likely never buy this game unless a whole lot of independent game sites give it very high marks.

I'm not passing judgment of people who like WildStar's art direction, it's just not for me.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Digitally downloading on the day of release. If I can't I wait a bit. Sometimes they block sales if it does good in which case my local store always has a spare copy. If not then waiting.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Ticonz

I'm lvl 50 and there were no puzzles or mini-games which didn't succeed although I was pushing the wrong button/color. Are they bugged or am I blind? Regarding the hand holding aspect.. well if you're an explorer who goes for a so called "treasure hunt mission" you're expecting an actual search, aren't you? Once again you're only able to find it with the help of that arrow. The problem isn't an optional help for your missions.. the problem is that you can't find these items without it. There should be a descriptions with hints so that not-lazy players can find them in their manner. It feels like an occupational therapy. That's what bugs me the most. And I don't know why you mention ESO.. I never said that it has no hand holding in it.

The simon says puzzle in Far Side is a good example of a lvl 29 Mini game that doesn't progress by hitting any color you want.    So I guess you are blind or bugged?  Or maybe Im bugged and in the minority where mini games actually work as intended?  Not sure.  I only know that this one truly works cuz I failed it once or twice because im not the greatest at that game and had to either remember 5 phases of 4 colors or 4 phases of 5 colors.. I can't remember.  Another puzzle was the computer one in Grimvault.  

I never chose the explorer patch after they took away the group run speed buff that it gave others ( not sure what they replaced it with it or if they added it back.  I went scientist and found the group summon and capital city port to be much more useful than the replacements given during the patch )  Could you explain to me in detail what made you "HAVE" to use the arrow to find it? I mean.. im assuming you got the path call where it said "Find this treasure in this zone."  and you couldnt' find it so you hit the button to help guide you towards its location.  I can agree that a hint would probably help narrow it down but I mean.. it tells you there is a treasure hidden somewhere in the zone.  Go find it.  And you decided that you NEEDED the hand holding so you clicked on it to find it.  That's just what it sounds like to me.  In the scientist path, as you got closer to find a hidden cache that you had to find.. there was a bar in the bottom right where the path mission was that would actually get closer to filling up kind of like a hot/cold system when you got closer to the proximity of them.

Sorry if Im coming off as rude,  I just dont' understand what is forcing you to use that green arrow to find it and then you saying its hand-holding you.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Nope, no preorder here. I had a chance to play it and there was nothing there to keep me coming back. I forced myself to try multiple class/paths and still couldn't enjoy the game.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• aplaneraplaner Member UncommonPosts: 3
    just take my money and stfu! i will play ros while i wait for this game. TESO? wtf is that crap

• aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    Easy choice. Ace of MMOs will of course PRE ORDER digital deluxe edition of this fantastic game.