Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feelings About Friend List Showing User ID?

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Actually I like it, so no matter what alt I play, my guildmates and friends know it is me.

You only addressed one of the two issues here.  I get that you are okay with people knowing all the characters you make belong to you, and so am I personally.

The question is, are you okay at the system giving everyone on your friends list, guild list, people you might send a private message to (/tell, /whisper) to know your account login?

well as long as they dont know my password... I mean ok it could be a more secred "player handle", but Champions Online works like that too, and I never had a problem with that.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Actually I like it, so no matter what alt I play, my guildmates and friends know it is me.

You only addressed one of the two issues here.  I get that you are okay with people knowing all the characters you make belong to you, and so am I personally.

The question is, are you okay at the system giving everyone on your friends list, guild list, people you might send a private message to (/tell, /whisper) to know your account login?

well as long as they dont know my password... I mean ok it could be a more secred "player handle", but Champions Online works like that too, and I never had a problem with that.

The people getting their accounts hacked aren't getting their accounts hacked because some evil hacker is guessing their username and then guessing their password (unless it's a dumb one from above).  Having a player's username isn't going to make the process any faster and hiding the usernames isn't going to make the process any slower.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I am glad you know that.

It is a security issue, plain and simple. One that could in fact be easily rectified, if you had an Account name and Password to log in, then chose a username to show in game chat.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by lizardbones

The people getting their accounts hacked aren't getting their accounts hacked because some evil hacker is guessing their username and then guessing their password (unless it's a dumb one from above).  Having a player's username isn't going to make the process any faster and hiding the usernames isn't going to make the process any slower.

Wow.  That has to be the most ignorant post this year.  Note I said "ignorant" meaning without knowledge.  You obviously don't know anything about internet security.  This in fact makes it 50% easier to hack your account through an automated process.  Out of two levels of security, you are now down to one.

Yes it is easier to hack an account if you already have a user name instead of randomly trying to identify a username.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Several people over at Tamriel Foundry have said there is email verification already in place if you log in from a different IP Address.

If your IP address changes, you will be sent an email and then you must enter a code to log in.

This helps with the security concerns for me, but I know many of you still have issues with everyone knowing when you are on any character owned by the account.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Several people over at Tamriel Foundry have said there is email verification already in place if you log in from a different IP Address.

If your IP address changes, you will be sent an email and then you must enter a code to log in.

This helps with the security concerns for me, but I know many of you still have issues with everyone knowing when you are on any character owned by the account.

This is really good to know. Another reason why this topic shouldn't stop anyone from playing this game! :-)

Isaiah 41:10
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Bacon ice cream for everybody!!! Nom nom nom.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Wow.  That has to be the most ignorant post this year.  Note I said "ignorant" meaning without knowledge.  You obviously don't know anything about internet security.  This in fact makes it 50% easier to hack your account through an automated process.  Out of two levels of security, you are now down to one.

Yes it is easier to hack an account if you already have a user name instead of randomly trying to identify a username.

Isn't this calling the kettle black? Yes they are two levels of security but generally speaking the level you lost wasn't even an issue for most hackers as most people tend to use the same, or same variation of a, username so it wasn't that hard to guess. Your password is your main, and in a large number of cases only, line of defense against hackers so reusing paswords, using simplistic ones, etc is the stupid part and that lays with you the user not the developer/team in charge of security.

User IDs being visible is good and people fear mongering against a shit game because of it isn't so pick on the game not one of the few things it does good.