Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feelings About Friend List Showing User ID?

TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
Although it may or may not increase your chances of being hacked, I personally would rather people know me by my character name only. What do you all think or prefer? Do you like it the way it is, or do you share my feelings about it?
Isaiah 41:10

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I dont care. Neverwinter and all cryptic games work that way. Never been hacked or anything.

Aren't all mmo's doing this now?

Plus it helps players know who you are even if you switch a character or a player did a character name change.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

The first time I joined a guild in beta, I noticed my User Name was bing used to identify me....

The first thing I did was send in a ticket to have my user name changed.   I waited a week for the reply, canceled my preorder, set up a new account and then got the email saying they would change it for me,  So I am glad I got to keep my beta account for launch.   

I personally think they need to make it Very Very clear to people that they will be using User Names to identify you when you join a guild and not just your character name

Use your Character name as user name if you want to Always be identified as your character name.   Good heads up to everyone,  and if you don't want your user name used, send in that ticket now to get your User Name changed because I can guarantee you it will probably take a week to do so.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Allacore69

I dont care. Neverwinter and all cryptic games work that way. Never been hacked or anything.

Plus it helps players know who you are even if you switch a character or a player did a character name change.

Well I've noticed it is certainly becoming more and more common, but I don't see a reason not to have an option to hide it if desired.

Originally posted by Knotwood

The first time I joined a guild in beta, I noticed my User Name was bing used to identify me....

The first thing I did was send in a ticket to have my user name changed.   I waited a week for the reply, canceled my preorder, set up a new account and then got the email saying they would change it for me,  So I am glad I got to keep my beta account for launch.   

I personally think they need to make it Very Very clear to people that they will be using User Names to identify you when you join a guild and not just your character name

Use your Character name as user name if you want to Always be identified as your character name.   Good heads up to everyone,  and if you don't want your user name used, send in that ticket now to get your User Name changed because I can guarantee you it will probably take a week to do so.

Lol aye, ticket went in as soon as I finished starting this thread just in case there's no option to hide it later on. :)

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Having your user ID public means you lose 1 level of security off the bat. This is a bad idea. 
  • KrigerKriger Member Posts: 34

As far as my cryptic account (ala Star Trek Online being the one I remember specifically) my account name is different than my login name. I don't know if thats because it is something they required from waaaaaaaaaaaay back and are no longer requiring or what. I personally don't like things like this where people can see my account name, makes it one step easier to hack in my opinion. I remember some similar things game companies got flak for, when they required/changed your email account to your login id. I believe WoW at least gave you the option to choose an id that didn't resemble your login. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't GW2 use your login id for chat as well?

This space reserved for pithy comment.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The internet has too much anonymity as it is. Not being able to switch to your troll character is a good thing for the game and community. 

The people I want on my friends list I'd like to have all their characters on it....because we're actually friends and have nothing to hide. The people I put on my ignore list I'd want all their characters on it.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    WHY did you put bacon ice cream on your poll?? I wanted to answer seriously, and then I saw that.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i'm not a fan of GW2 but i do like the way they handle their security and would like to see ESO adopt a similar approach.

you basically have to give each IP permission to access your account via e mail authentication.

sure it's not fool proof but as long as you keep your log in and e mail passwords different i don't see a problem.

by the way, if you get a key logger it won't matter if they can see your account name in game or not and most of the time when you get hacked it's because of a key logger or something similar.

if you are so worried about people trying to brute force your account because they can see your account name in game, make a more difficult password.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I would much prefer to be able to hide it.  I'm not much of a fan of it being broadcast to everyone.  Not a game breaker for me, but it is something that I feel should be looked at in the future.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

btw your poll questions are kind of backwards and will probably fool people into picking the wrong answer. ( to what they wanted )

Normally a poll question is

Yes I agree

no I disagree

you have it the other way around. :)

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Having your user ID public means you lose 1 level of security off the bat. This is a bad idea. 

I feel the same way, I'm not overly keen about it.

In addition, there are times when I want to play and be left alone, so I lose a level of anonymity as well.

Originally posted by Velocinox
    WHY did you put bacon ice cream on your poll?? I wanted to answer seriously, and then I saw that.

Lol.

Originally posted by DamonVile

The internet has too much anonymity as it is. Not being able to switch to your troll character is a good thing for the game and community. 

The people I want on my friends list I'd like to have all their characters on it....because we're actually friends and have nothing to hide. The people I put on my ignore list I'd want all their characters on it.

Also a good point, though I've made plenty of friends in games that I don't know IRL. I still want to keep in contact with those types of people, but I also don't know/trust them enough with too much information about my account. I'm all for being able to ignore every character some troll makes, but I think there are better ways than using your login/account name to identify yourself to other online players. 

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Character name only. Playing alts for the sake of 'getting way' in GW2 was difficult and contained it's own risks of getting 'found out'. It's why I stopped.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

Allow people to hide their identities and all civility and manners go right out of the window and nobody can ever be held accountable for their actions.

I am all for transparency and being able to view peoples ID.

Originally posted by DamonVile

btw your poll questions are kind of backwards and will probably fool people into picking the wrong answer. ( to what they wanted )

Normally a poll question is

Yes I agree

no I disagree

you have it the other way around. :)

I like to give people's ability to read the benefit of the doubt lol. While I can see how it could be confusing to few, I would say most understand what I'm saying.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

The harder it is for the average person to link me from one thing to another the better off. The reason being if they can link gaming accounts odds are they will be able to find something where I slipped up and left personal info.  I've been burnt pretty bad online by someone I knew in r/l.  Definitely don't trust people that I can't weigh-up in person and get to know.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

It feels intrusive if I'm on some alt that I made just to play without interruptions and all of a sudden your guild and all trade contacts knows you, not to mention some people you just generally might not want to know it's you.

I really dont like these public handles, other than for ignore list purposes, but even in that case the game could just ignore the account without revealing all the character names, if you try to contact one of them without knowing then give a notice. All in all, I much rather have separate character identification, -1 for this.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I just want to point out that there are two completely separate issues here. 

1.  Do I want others to have access to my game login.   For me, absolutely not.   You immediately lose 50% of your account security. I would prefer at launch that they force email use for login if they cannot hide your account login.  Preferably they should replace your account name on friends list or guild list with a forum handle which you can set through the game client or on the forums.  

2.  Do I care if others can identify all the characters on my account as belonging to me.   For me, I really don't care. This I can live with but this name/identifier should definitely NOT be my account login. 

If they don't change this they will need to immediately add a third level of security such as GW2 IP verification and unlock through email. If the don't do this, then their customer service will be overwhelmed at launch dealing with hacked accounts. We will all be waiting on tickets for many days without responses for any issues or bugs. I have seen this happen many times. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Talemire

Well I've noticed it is certainly becoming more and more common, but I don't see a reason not to have an option to hide it if desired.

How about hiding it by default and allow people to change it if they want to show more.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Like several other games account name doesn't need to = login name.  Also I want to see the account names of people.  There's more accountability for scammers and Dbags.  So no Alt trolling.  You think it's not an issue but I've been in entire 100 person guilds that Alt trolled as a guild event (back when I was much younger and a Dbag).
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Talemire

How about hiding it by default and allow people to change it if they want to show more.

I actually like that more, because it is more user-friendly. Not everyone is going to automatically run to their settings and explore all their options, and that could mean someone not figuring out how to hide his/her User ID until many have already seen it.

• nytkinnytkin Member CommonPosts: 14

Yep, can't change it. After extensive communication with Bethesda they have made it clear, in no uncertain terms, regardless of what I said, that I cannot change my user name to something that will protect my privacy.

Had I known this upon creation of my account name, I'd have made it something different than my real name.

Great.

Devil bunny needs a ham, and he's pretty sure knocking you off a building will get him one.

Ouch, I presume you have already applied your pre-order codes and such. If not you could always make a new account.