Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

second thoughts?

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

this is NOT an attempt to bash the game or even Rocket, it's really just a question related to their track record so far as i quit playing last year sometime.

so, Rocket goes to make amazing Arma2 mod. super popular, sales for Arma2 shoot up and he gets permission to have a small team continue to improve the Arma2 DayZ mod.

then Arma3 looms on the horizon and Rocket and Co. are supposed to be building a great mod for Arma3.

then Rocket announces dev team is heading off on their own to focus solely on a great standalone game based on Arma3 and the DayZ mod for it.

then Rocket announces he's done with DayZ and is going to go do something else.

again, i don't know the man, so i am not bashing. but i don't think anyone can seriously look at this chronology and not wonder what's going to happen next?

i am really interested in seeing how others are viewing this series of events.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Your reporting of the "facts" is a bit off. First off, the DayZ Standalone is not a mod. The team that was given to Rocket (Dean Hall) are people from the developers of Arma 2/3 and was a full blown project to bring DayZ Standalone to market. DayZ Standalone is heavily based upon the DayZ mod but not the same thing. The DayZ team has released the ALPHA version via Steam. The full game is to be released (finished) later this year. The team recently doubled in size. Hall has announced that he would be leaving the development LEAD near  the end of this year but that he would still be involved in the project.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Gruug

Your reporting of the "facts" is a bit off. First off, the DayZ Standalone is not a mod. The team that was given to Rocket (Dean Hall) are people from the developers of Arma 2/3 and was a full blown project to bring DayZ Standalone to market. DayZ Standalone is heavily based upon the DayZ mod but not the same thing. The DayZ team has released the ALPHA version via Steam. The full game is to be released (finished) later this year. The team recently doubled in size. Hall has announced that he would be leaving the development LEAD near  the end of this year but that he would still be involved in the project.

thanks for the info. i'm glad to hear that both the project and his lead role in it will be ending around the same time.

however, i did say that the standalone was based on Arma3 and DayZ mod, not that it was the mod or even 'a' mod. so a bit confused there at what you were reading.

"then Rocket announces dev team is heading off on their own to focus solely on a great standalone game based on Arma3 and the DayZ mod for it."

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse