Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you buy ROS and why ?

1235»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Zezda

D3 does not have more spells, it simply doesn't. This simply shows you know nothing about Path of Exile, let me show you young padawan.

Here is a list of all active skills in Path of Exile

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Skills

That's 119 'active' skills on that list there that each do a different thing and that's before we start talking about the Support Gems and how they interact with the skills.

Can you even count?

http://www.diablowiki.net/Wizard_Skills

Just the wiz has 25 x 5 skill runes, each does a different thing. This is not including using skills without a rune, which adds another 25. That is 125 just for the wiz, not counting passive skills. One class has more skills than all of PoE.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

D3 does not have more spells, it simply doesn't. This simply shows you know nothing about Path of Exile, let me show you young padawan.

That's 119 'active' skills on that list there that each do a different thing and that's before we start talking about the Support Gems and how they interact with the skills.

Can you even count?

Just the wiz has 25 x 5 skill runes, each does a different thing. This is not including using skills without a rune, which adds another 25. That is 125 just for the wiz, not counting passive skills. One class has more skills than all of PoE.

/thread

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Got tired of waiting for a good MMO, so I bought D3 + RoS  and I really like it so far.

Just wondering how big is RoS compared to the standard edition? 

Originally posted by andre369

Got tired of waiting for a good MMO, so I bought D3 + RoS  and I really like it so far.

RoS has these on top of the standard edition:

One Act (standard has 4, and i don't feel Act V to be significant bigger or smaller than the others)

Crusader

Adventure mode + nephalem rift <- this is the big feature ... essentially infinite random quests + dungeons.

One Act (standard has 4, and i don't feel Act V to be significant bigger or smaller than the others)

Crusader

Adventure mode + nephalem rift <- this is the big feature ... essentially infinite random quests + dungeons.

I found Act V to be almost as long as 1 and 4 combined.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Diablo 3 is better than POE in the following respects:

- Better graphics, atmosphere and lore

- Way better combat

- it encourages experimentation with different builds without penalties

- engine is much better

- has better appearance items. In POE all items look like shit from what I have seen. They also all look identical.

- Diablo 3 has more spells. I mean active abilities. In POE i found that a HUGE number of "skills" in the skill tree are +10 str/dex/int/vit and + a few other stats. Repeat that a hundred times. I could probably get rid of half the skills and leave only the "real" skills and just let people bump their stats like you could in D2. But then that tree wouldn't look so MASSIVE.

Graphics, atmosphere and lore are all very much debatable.

Firstly you hardly play a ARPG for lore. Secondly graphics and atmosphere are tied together and considering the slating D3 got at release for straying away from the roots of the franchise I hardly think that's a selling point.

Combat is completely subjective and all I'm going to say is that PoE plays more like a ARPG in it's combat than D3 does. As such low levels in PoE tend to feel slower, clunkier etc than D3 by comparison but the pace of combat in PoE changes dramatically as you scale through the difficulty curve, much more so than D3 does.

Engine is better? You have no idea if it's better or not; I don't see any facilities on D3 where I can see my characters online and their inventories and also link items from my characters onto the forum and then set up trade threads to trade items between people without needing to go via an auction system. The same engine that does those things also runs leagues and ladders in PoE. Better engine.. yeah we're not really qualified to say if it is or isn't.

PoE has tons of appearance items but if you knew anything about PoE you would know it's not suppose to be a flashy game like D3 is. While Blizzard are busy trying to cram 'fun' down your throat in their game with their combat/skill system and flashy looks on items the PoE devs stick to the games atmosphere and gameplay mechanics.

You can take Fireball, for example, and combine it with Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Increased Area Effect + Elemental Proliferation and now instead of casting a single Fireball you cast 7 Fireballs that each have an increased explosion when they hit and any enemies that burn will pass on the burning effect to those next to them due to the Elemental Proliferation gem.

Or you take that above combination and then add Spell Totem onto the last gem slot and now you cast a totem that will automatically cast that for you leaving you free to do other things.

What you were talking about is the Passive Tree > http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Passive_Skills

The Passive Tree does as the name suggests. You spend points in the tree for a passive effect on your character. Most of them are small changes in stats here and there and others change the entire base of your character. For example you have 'Mind Over Matter' in which a third of damage you receive is absorbed firstly by your mana pool. Or you could have Avatar of Fire in which 50% of your non-fire damage is converted to fire but you cannot deal non-fire damage at all. Or what about Blood Magic; it changes your character to have no mana pool and instead skills cost health to cast. Or Chaos Innoculation; You have 1 health but in turn take no damage from Chaos damage.

To even think that D3 has as much flexibility as Path of Exile does in combat and character development is outrageous and just shows that you are talking about things that you know nothing about. In all seriousness, if that's the extent of your knowledge on path of exile you should go play it and try a few builds, it's free after all ;)

I played PoE. With it's amazing engine, I had to endure tons of disconnects, failures to connect to the server and loss of progress from the last 5-10 minutes. Although that was at launch so probably most of those problems are no more. I noticed the game actually took ages to load.

When you say that PoE has tons of appearance items, do you mean items you can find in the game or items you can buy in the shop? 

Graphics to me looked like 2000 graphics and that was on everything maxed out. Diablo 3 looks way prettier than PoE. I guess you can say it's subjective though. I am sure some people prefer the "dark" looks of PoE. It reminds me of Killing Floor, a game which was intentionally made dark to make sure you don't notice the hideous graphics.

I have seen the passive tree. I agree that there are quite a few passive skills which actually change the gameplay. I just feel that there is a lot of unnecessary clutter. They could've removed all the +5 dex/str/int/vit passives and made something similar to D2. There are loads of those "useless" passives.

Diablo 3 has more than 119 active skills. And that's not counting the fact that each skill has 5 runes which completely modify the skill. So my argument still stands.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Zezda D3 does not have more spells, it simply doesn't. This simply shows you know nothing about Path of Exile, let me show you young padawan. Here is a list of all active skills in Path of Exile http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Skills That's 119 'active' skills on that list there that each do a different thing and that's before we start talking about the Support Gems and how they interact with the skills.
    Can you even count?

this.

Originally posted by doodphace

Crusader

hmm .. i would dispute that. I finish Act V in 2 nights, each night playing like 2 hours .. or may be 4-5 hours max?

I am sure i spend more on Act 1-4. May be because i am more familiar with the whole game and can go faster?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by doodphace

Crusader

hmm .. i would dispute that. I finish Act V in 2 nights, each night playing like 2 hours .. or may be 4-5 hours max?

I am sure i spend more on Act 1-4. May be because i am more familiar with the whole game and can go faster?

I don't mean acts 1 to 4, I ment 1 and 4. Its not as long as 1 and 4 combined, but I find it close. 5 is def the longest act by far, there is no disputing that.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Can you even count?

Ok then if you want to count variances on skills themselves then let's treat both games the same and count differences in PoE's skills when we account for the support gems because that's the PoE analogue to D3's 'Runes'.

Let's take one skill from PoE, Burning Arrow. After a brief look at the support gems I believe 49 of them interact with the skill in one way or another, give or take one or two. That's any combination of 5 of the potential 49 support skills alongside the original 'active' skill in a 6-slot item. That's nearly two million possible outcomes. Of course not all of those outcomes are useful but then again neither are many of the combinations of skills in D3.

Now there are over 110 'Active Skills' in PoE to combine with the 67 different support gems. Some Active Skills have more combinations with the support gems than others but if you want to think D3 even scratches the top of that iceberg then you're delusional. Did i forget the mention the part where all the skills are available to all the classes? Or how we haven't even considered how many of the over 1000 passive skills in PoE interact with the skills either?

For anyone looking for the customization of their character's abilities the two games literally could not be further apart in their possibilities.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I bought it because I like it. How many hours did you play D3?
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    [mod edit]
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    I bought it because I like it. How many hours did you play D3?

too many .. the game is too much fun to put down .. and it is always possible to do just another one bounty.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Can you even count?

Ok then if you want to count variances on skills themselves then let's treat both games the same and count differences in PoE's skills when we account for the support gems because that's the PoE analogue to D3's 'Runes'.

Let's take one skill from PoE, Burning Arrow. After a brief look at the support gems I believe 49 of them interact with the skill in one way or another, give or take one or two. That's any combination of 5 of the potential 49 support skills alongside the original 'active' skill in a 6-slot item. That's nearly two million possible outcomes. Of course not all of those outcomes are useful but then again neither are many of the combinations of skills in D3.

Now there are over 110 'Active Skills' in PoE to combine with the 67 different support gems. Some Active Skills have more combinations with the support gems than others but if you want to think D3 even scratches the top of that iceberg then you're delusional. Did i forget the mention the part where all the skills are available to all the classes? Or how we haven't even considered how many of the over 1000 passive skills in PoE interact with the skills either?

For anyone looking for the customization of their character's abilities the two games literally could not be further apart in their possibilities.

No. I was not talking about the runes. I meant base active skills, Diablo 3 has more. Each class has about 25 active skills which means that Diablo 3 has around 150 active skills not taking into consideration any runes. Which means that my statement was correct and yours was wrong as POE only has 119 active skills ;)

You have 67 support gems but multiplying the 110 active skills by the 67 is a stretch. Also a lot of your support gems are not gamechanging for the active ability. A support gem which increases the rate at which you level your ability is just meh.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by MrSalty
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by dave6660

Not a chance.

The Diablo franchise is dead to me.

Your loss.

There are always haters. D3 already sold 15M boxes.

It is already back up to #5 on the xfire chart.

All indication is that RoS is going to be great, and sell well.

Every game has its haters, and obviously D3 continues to be successful, with or without them.

xfire is irrelevant....nobody uses that anymore

I just did. Plus, it is the sales that matter, at the end of the day.

Actually at the end of the day it's the overall quality the customers deem it and diablo 3 left a bad taste for many. Diablo 3 essentially rode on the coattails of Diablo 1-2 which is why it was overall successful. However, depending on how well the expansion fixes all the mistakes we might not see anything coming from the Diablo franchise after RoS.

Wait... Wait... Wait... You've posted previously that you're glad you DID'NT purchase RoS because you WATCHED the gameplay and decided it was crap. NOW you're telling us that D3 has "left a bad taste for many", AND you're predicting gloom and doom for the franchise. 

Im fine with with OPINION based on diddly, but this is STATEMENT based on diddly. You have zero facts, and yet you post as if you actually KNOW what you're talking about. Therefore, your statement is invalid.

More to the point, RoS has been a great experience, the setting opens up at 70 with very interesting content, and a well polished design. My OPINION is that D3 will do well in sales, simply because it's a quality, fun, engaging, and beautiful product.

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

More to the point, RoS has been a great experience, the setting opens up at 70 with very interesting content, and a well polished design. My OPINION is that D3 will do well in sales, simply because it's a quality, fun, engaging, and beautiful product.

D3 already did phenomenal in sales .. it sold 15M boxes. RoS ... OTOH .. has no number released yet.

However, given that D3 shot up to #2 on xfire after the release, i bet that it is selling very well. Not even wow expansion pack has that kind of bump.