Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best gear will be looted, not crafted.

StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

In the latest TESO elite Q&A:

http://www.tesoelite.com/forums/threads/live-community-q-a-with-paul-sage-topic-crafting.937/page-3#post-11877

"Crafted gear of equal level and equal quality rating is always better than dropped gear from a numerical standpoint. Weapons do more damage, armor has more... armor. However, certain enchantments can only be found on drops. Crafters can always improve those items which have unique enchantments. Legendary items do not drop..."

The key word there is "from a numerical standpoint."

If you read on you see that certain enchantments will only be found on drops, not something that crafters can actually...craft.

A PTS tester chimed in on this topic and had this to say:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040683257&postcount=1239

Originally posted by

"GoldenTiger View Post

That’s exactly what they did: numerically they’re equal for their very base stat like armor amount or damage, but the unique effects are far more powerful on dropped loot. Your only real uses for crafting are food/potions, and upgrading dropped items (color quality), at endgame now. A legendary (orange) VR10 weapon has the exact same base damage whether it’s a purple that was upgraded from a drop, or crafted (and upgraded). The crafting set bonuses are ridiculously poor (in other words, you wouldn’t ever use most of them, and the only one I can think of that makes sense to use at all is a fill-in 3 piece for 5% extra crit chance) compared to the drop ones, and the drop ones mostly come from random bags you buy in PVP (with an extremely low drop chance) or open-world mobs randomly (Magicka Furnace is the best one in the game basically right now, 10% of your max magicka back when hit by a melee attack, 5 second internal cooldown).

Crafting went from being able to produce (with some effort) gear arguably superior to some of the drop sets thanks to the customizable traits (which you could then use with the worse set bonuses and still come out with a good piece of gear), to being stuff you wouldn’t use at all in your Veteran Ranks (which is where most people will spend the bulk of their playing time because everyone ends up there). For example, pre-nerf they had crafted item traits that could reduce your sprinting costs by 17-22% each at the top end which you could then stack enough to make sprinting just about free, or increase your weapon attack speed (heavy attack times etc, not abilities) by 50-60%, resulting in a large non-resource-intensive DPS potential. Now, the absolute top end weapons get about 8% speed, and the sprint cost reductions are 3-4%. Same thing across the board for all traits.

Whereas before you had a real choice thanks to the strength of traits and the fact that dropped set items only come with one trait type period per set (and some had no trait at all), now you just end up with an item crafted with negligible bonuses and no set bonus/virtually useless set bonus (“Regenerate resources 20% quicker during the daytime” for a 5-piece set is an example, which runs into the softcaps that you’ll generally already be at and is a low bonus already in terms of the actual end effect).

And don’t get me started on the addon massacre, which was primarily information most MMORPG’s put in their base UI such as hitpoint numbers and buff icons as options. Plus as I said they limited the XP you gain by grinding in a duo or higher an extreme amount making it basically unviable, as well as PVP-earned XP, leaving the only reasonably normal way to level being questing along the main quest path (before if you ran off to get side quests and killed stuff along the way, you’d level just as fast if not faster, now you’re best off following the rails of the main questlines in zones because otherwise they’re spaced out far from eachother) and public dungeons etc. giving very little even on the first completion now (before it was a good chunk of XP each time you finished one for the first time on a character). Vet XP as I mentioned numbers for before… yeah."

I really really hope they think about this before the game goes live, it sounded great the way it was before these changes.

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    I wouldn't be surprised. DaoC started out with the best gear being crafted and then the developers caved in and changed it, one of them is the head of TESO development.
  • infiniti70infiniti70 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I have always preferred the best components to be looted (or gained through other styles of play- not harvested), but it takes a crafting skill to put them to use. Having elite gear drop is my least favorite way of gear progression. This is an MMO adventuring and crafting should be needed for best gear...working together. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Well not everyone likes crafting so I could see why that is the majority on most mmorpgs.

Only game I ever got a crafting type to max was leather working and skinning(?) in WOW because I could skin the enemies while questing didn't have to go farm some nodes.

• infiniti70infiniti70 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Well not everyone likes crafting so I could see why that is the majority on most mmorpgs.

Only game I ever got a crafting type to max was leather working and skinning(?) in WOW because I could skin the enemies while questing didn't have to go farm some nodes.

System should not call for everyone to craft, but rather reward those who do like to craft with a profession that is truly needed by the community. Making the best loot drop is no different than having NPCs heal better than any player can for hire at end game...basically telling healers they are not really needed. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Like I said in the earlier thread, I was already beginning to have questions when I read the bit about unique enchantments in high-end drops.

I was thinking about it from an Enchanter's point of view mostly but this makes it sound like end game crafting for Clothiers, Blacksmiths and Woodworkers will mostly consist of deconstructing to get upgrade materials and upgrading from purple to gold...interesting.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by MMOFan78
    I'm sure the ESO defence force will be along any minute to tell us this is the best decision ever and represents the sort of innovative design that gamers have craved for years :)

You created your account yesterday and you've posted 37 times. All of those posts are in Elder Scrolls General Discussion forum and all of them are focused on proving how bad and broken ESO is.

The only force I see on this forums are people like you.

Well... that was fast :P

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

So if this is true, someone convinced the devs to change ESO into another run of the mill MMO. Advancement mainly from main questlines and crafting used as some meaningless distraction. Bah. Typical themepark things to make ex WoW players feel right at home.

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

I can understand that not everybody likes crafting, but that doesn't mean the crafters shouldn't be important in the game. It would kind of force people to be a little more social and it would make crafting feel like it has some kind of impact on the game. I like gear drops, its always nice getting a blue or purple drop, its exciting. But legendary gear should be something that the crafters in the game who spend the time and work hard to make. But hey, crafting is expensive so im sure a lot of crafters would be glad to sell you their better gear :) That's my opinion

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Did this just happen?  Seems kinda crazy to nerf crafting/exploration/PvP three weeks from early release...

They're understandably terrified of people getting to VR10 too fast... but nerfing everything but questing into the ground... ugh, just ugh...

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239

A LOT of the crying right now is about the addons, which frankly I'm not seeing it. How is "won't have add ons that display information about the other player" = no RvR? 

I wish you could see the amount of DOOM posts right now.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Arataki

A LOT of the crying right now is about the addons, which frankly I'm not seeing it. How is "won't have add ons that display information about the other player" = no RvR? 

I wish you could see the amount of DOOM posts right now.

hehe must be epic, and I am pretty sure we will have a lot of it here pretty soon.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Best way.. only way that makes sense.

I've never heard of a fantasy story where the heroes just go to the tanners after killing wolves for 10 hours to make epic equipment.

If you want to roleplay a crafter, I don't see why you'd rather do it in a game instead of in real life.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Hmm some of those crafting traits sounded a bit OP anyway, -100% sprint cost? lol. Also the fact people are complaining about not being able to hit max level and get the best equipment in the game easily bugs me. Even if its crafted it should be significantly hard.

I'm no fan of addons but restricting you to see numerical values of your own stats seems a bit weird. I can understand why they dont want people to see other players stats in AvA though. I'd hate to have a ton of crap cluttering my screen to stay competitive.

Its not like all this is set in stone and I'd imagine it will change again before release.

Also MMOfan you win an award for the most unimaginative and obvious troll for a while. Making a sub account to post nonsense on every ESO thread I've seen today.

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by DMKano

Not really surprising - crafting in ESO requires zero skill and only time commitment to get the mats -if the best items in game were craftable then everyone endgame would be walking best gear.

I am glad that best gear will need to be earned, not crafted.

I can agree with you here DMKano, but what if you could only get the materials for end game gear by putting in a lot more work? What if the materials for legendary gear were only harvested in some of the larger dungeons. Would that be better? There must be some way to make crafting feel important while at the same time making everybody happy. Would be neat to see that in a game

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Honestly, this sounds like kneejerk reactions to a balance pass to me. These are all numbers on a spreadsheet and so if crafted items went from OP to crap in a patch, they can just as easily go back the other way towards a more balanced middle ground. Test servers are for testing. ;) Doom and gloom isn't necessary.

Balancing crafted vs. dropped items is always going to be tricky and numbers are likely to be in flux on the run-up to launch. And even with crafted items having a major role, dropped gear should still be useful. With the variety of builds available in ESO, it's certainly possible dropped gear may be better for certain builds, while other builds may make better use of the flexibility provided by crafting.

Feedback is important, but 'the sky is falling!' isn't helpful to anyone. With the way he describes the pre-nerf version of traits they seem overpowered (almost free sprinting? +50-60% attack speed bypassing the need for resource use?) and it's entirely possible they just got overtuned in the latest patch in an attempt to reel things back in.

In any case, I doubt you're getting the whole story here, and this isn't likely to be the final set of numbers by launch.

Originally posted by MikeB

Honestly, this sounds like kneejerk reactions to a balance pass to me. These are all numbers on a spreadsheet and so if crafted items went from OP to crap in a patch, they can just as easily go back the other way towards a more balanced middle ground. Test servers are for testing. ;) Doom and gloom isn't necessary.

Balancing crafted vs. dropped items is always going to be tricky and numbers are likely to be in flux on the run-up to launch. And even with crafted items having a major role, dropped gear should still be useful. With the variety of builds available in ESO, it's certainly possible dropped gear may be better for certain builds, while other builds may make better use of the flexibility provided by crafting.

Feedback is important, but 'the sky is falling!' isn't helpful to anyone. With the way he describes the pre-nerf version of traits they seem overpowered (almost free sprinting? +50-60% attack speed bypassing the need for resource use?) and it's entirely possible they just got overtuned in the latest patch in an attempt to reel things back in.

In any case, I doubt you're getting the whole story here, and this isn't likely to be the final set of numbers by launch.

You forgot the most important for them, they lost all their capacity to pvp when they lost their mods... that is probably what triggered all the end of the world reaction.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Vannor

I've never heard of a fantasy story where the heroes just go to the tanners after killing wolves for 10 hours to make epic equipment.

If you want to roleplay a crafter, I don't see why you'd rather do it in a game instead of in real life.

I've never heard of a fantasy story where the characters are upgrading their equipment by looting corpses every couple times they fight something. Occasionally they find something good, but then they keep it.  Once Bilbo found Sting, he never switched to another weapon.

As for crafting, Aegis-fang is a major part of the Drizzt Do'Urden books, and it is crafted by Bruenor Battlehammer in the first book.  All the rest of the major items, while not crafted by characters who appear in the books, were crafted by someone, at some point in time.  Actually, by definition (narratively speaking) all items are crafted.  So why should items crafted by a NPC automatically be superior to those crafted by a PC?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by MikeB

You forgot the most important for them, they lost all their capacity to pvp when they lost their mods... that is probably what triggered all the end of the world reaction.

Dude!  How am I suppose to compete when I can't download something to give me an advantage over other players!

But seriously nerfing the exp for exploration/PvP seems like a dbag move...  Oh, so you people wanted to skip our horribly written quests performed by the most expensive voice actors money could buy?!?  Well, we'll just see about that!

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Vannor

Let me ask you a question, in most fantasy novels where do you think those epic items came from? Do you not think somewhere down the line someone actually had to "craft" them? They don't usually just drop out of thin air.

The most famous items were at one point in time crafted, usually by some "legendary" crafter long ago.

Crafters wanted a chance to be "those" kind of crafters, to spend the time and energy to level up crafting while others were busy on PVE or PVP and actually be "useful" for once (like they were in say SWG).

They didn't want to spend allt he time and energy doing that only to find out that at end game the items they worked and trained to make are useless vs dropped items that people who didn't invest or work nearly as much as them can improve to legendary.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I find it hilarious that people think that crafters should be able to make gear that is superior to end game raid gear. On what planet does that even make sense. 
    Originally posted by timidobserver
    I find it hilarious that people think that crafters should be able to make gear that is superior to end game raid gear. On what planet does that even make sense. 

Well from what we know it still is. Dropped can be purple at highest and crafter can boost that to legendary, at least I think they can.

Originally posted by timidobserver

Apparently there were games like that in the time before WoW.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Oh man :(

Crafting nerfed.
    Addon support nerfed.
    PvP progression nerfed.
    Group xp nerfed.
    Forced PvE Story questing to level up.

Devs confirm they are no longer targetting mmorpg players OR elder scrolls players? And with nerfed pvp xp and forced pve questing they are clearly not targetting pvp / rvr players either.

So who ARE they targetting with this ES mmorpg i wonder?

And to think this forum said they are the best mmo devs ever a few hours ago.

This is a joke...the games fucked.

Its now just Elder Scrolls: The themepark Republic.