Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enough with the twitching already!!!

Comments

• WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

yeah lol the sight of standing still, face to face against your opponent and spamming keys with no possibility for movement is still burned to my eyes WHY? WHY? i still have nightmares how my theeth fall off while doing that

sure the combat doesnt need to be super twitch like gunz the duel the pace can pretty much be determined by cast times and cool downs even in action combat. imo

tera combat is not fast enough to classify as twitch in my book maybe its different in PvP i dont know, looks slow to me

when game becomes a twitch based in my book is when i no longer have time to look around, the only focus is that where is my next target

i want action combat but that doesnt mean i want twitch

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I expect that most MMO's will stick to some hybrid form of combat. You can see this in the upcoming games. Some dodging, but still homeseeking missiles for example. I bet that if you are geared right, you can still approach it as some tab target game for the most part and just soak up damage. As long as you remember to step out of the big red circles :p Hardly twitch combat.

Personally I hate the hybrid forms though. In GW2 I still feel that dodging is limited in an arbitrary way. Why not let me dodge any attack if I can? The whole reasoning about how you are supposed to time your dodges for the big attacks, just means that half the time I am still playing punching bag like in any other tab target MMO. Especially as melee. It just doesn't feel as satisfying to me.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Wasn't it simple that if you don't like action (twitching) combat then just stay in one place and spam skill with 1-2-3 and tanking damage ?

Even in action combat game like TERA , many player just stay tanking and spam skill .

I don't think we get any problem here even if you prefer to stay in 1 place and don't moving around .

PVE is fine for player stay one place and spam skill .

And currents action combat are kind of lame , arrow and fire ball keep chase you around even if you sure it miss you 100% . It don't even any difference than old tab targeting combat .

If you want to talk about PVP ,

unless turn base game where player lock in one place and can't move , in tab target games player always moving around and use they eyes to chose what they going to do .

Unless you over gears and can 1 hit someone , it fair PVP where player have same stats , it still up to player's skill to win .

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Let me explain you idea behind twitch combat in mmo. Maybe you be more receptive when you understand it :

Combat is something you do over and over , for hundreds of thousands times in course mmo.

Turn based combat can really easily be broken down into pattern. So let say for normal mob : 1 , 2 , 2 , 4 , 1 , 2 ...

This turns into boredom. And since the combat is the majority of play , and its pattern repetition. Developers decided to make combat more twitch , because twitch is unpredictable (more or less)

Playing a certain game that shall remain nameless, I can already see patterns in its "action combat" down to waiting 10 seconds then position myself correctly to interrupt a mobs aoe then back stab.

You are fighting AI. You are bound to face patterns whether the game has twitch combat or no (duh).

Notice how he was replying to a post that stated twitch combat was more or less unpredictable.

No, I agree with Lobotomist. Twitch combat does make things somewhat more "unpredictable". Non-twitch combat is more predictable and set in patterns in comparison.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Non-twitch combat is based on die-rolls based upon statistics. Even if you have a 99 percent chance to rol a 1-19, you can still roll a 20. Whereas in a twitch based game, every time that monster gets big and red, and you dodge it, you take all unpredictability and chance out of the equation. 100 percent of the time that you dodge an attack it will miss. Predictably.

... and in standard mmo you fire your shield or something and suck damage up. Everything that counts is predictable in non twitch games. There is always a way to avoid something big with 100% chance. 

To be honest i dont think that unpredictability comes with combat system but rather with AI design. If you make it dumb and repeteative, it will be predictable regardless of combat system.

have'nt tried that many "twitch" games but they seem pretty much the same in gameplay to me.. instead of using more spells you just use more movement keys.. as for fighting mobs it seems pretty much the same "watch for cast and interupt or dodge"

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

never been a fan of dice rolls if i want to block something i should be able to

and if i want to hit something i should be able to and its up to the opponent wheter he blocks it or not

not some % chance to miss or % chance to hit critical

"wau dis iz amazing i got a ring that has a 10% chance to evade all enemy attacks"

something like:

if i keep holdin my shield up all the time like a dumbass eventualy the monster would realise that bashing his fists agains that block is pointless and would try something stronger for a change or try and get to my rear and attack from there, not something like

5% chance to hit with a weapon and if the opponent is blocking the chance would simply increase to 20%

solid decisions are needed

might be off topic but whatever

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Anyone else tired of people clammoring for twitch combat in MMORPGs?

Why should my geared out supposably awesome warrior have to depend on my keyboard skills in an RPG?

Twitch players have all the rest of gamedom to slap around their great eye-coordination and quick fingers, why can't we have at least one genre for us slow old bastards?

that's why they introduce macros so you can keybind 300 commands with 1 click.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

While MMO gamers of 45 and older are most likely not a significant part of the MMO playerbase at the moment, that will most certainly start changing dramatically in the next 10 years or so.

There's no way that the average 50 or 60-year old is going to be able to compete in twitch or "action-based" games with 20-year olds soaked in Red Bull. Some will try and some will probably die. Literally. Heart-attacks.

So either the action-combat will be toned down, or MMO's will split into 2 genres...

/popcorn

There wasn't that many playing Pong when it was new, either. ;)

But the 40 bracket is when the joint injuries start showing up, be it from long gaming hours or those weekend tennis matches catching up. The last thing people want with joint injuries is twitch style combat. I can't lift my arm above 90 degrees without pain, do you think I'm going to willingly advocate for more shoulder damage just to play a game? Do you think I want to be in combat every step of the way to have "fun"? It's not fun popping narcotics to kill boars, that's for sure.

The devs have reduced the problems with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but there's other more insidious conditions that's even more detrimental, and repetitive clicking as a sport is going to hit the 20 year-olds like a ton of bricks if it's not remedied. There's little merit of pushing damaging ergonomics, and especially over stupid ePeen.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by Infernaeon
    Sorry Greybush, but the days of over geared,stand there spamming 1111232111 are over as far as games from this decade are concerned..I am sure you rocked out in the 90's. Old timer..with your failing eye sight/hand coordination, can't keep up with the whippersnappers, so park it..The WoWtards and the new age failures that clutch onto EQ with dying breath will embrace you...don't chip a nail on your next playtime.

I still spam 123 now with the limited skill bars, sometimes I venture into 4 & 5 for the sheer hell of it.

And sometimes, but not often, I have those glorious moments when the extra +1 skill is activated.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I've been playing through Shadowrun Returns.  It is a single player (true turn based) game and I'm having a lot of fun.  The main problem with FPS in MMOs is that they aren't really FPS.  Most recent MMOs I've tried have auto targeting.  basically you just move your mouse cursor over a target and that's your target.  It's not like an FPS which has collision detection to determine if an object coming towards you hits your are not.  It's all numbers and percentages still.  The dodge is a joke.  Yes it's reactive, but it's the same as pushing down a button in WoW when it highlights because it says you have dodged.  Basically when your enemy does a certain thing (wich is painfully pointed out) you push your dodge button to avoid the attack.  This is not the same as actually moving out of the way even if your character moves on the screen.  I'd rather they stop pretending these games are FPS.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Why should my geared out supposably awesome warrior have to depend on my keyboard skills in an RPG?

Twitch players have all the rest of gamedom to slap around their great eye-coordination and quick fingers, why can't we have at least one genre for us slow old bastards?

This.

If your conception of twitch combat is to "slap around [] great eye-coordination and quick fingers", I feel sorry for you.  Not all twitch MMORPGs are created equal, and not all of them were born in this decade.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Every game developer on the planet is turning to the console platform for extra or primary sales, which is currently made up of kids and young adults that have mostly grown up playing console games, which are mostly all button mashing arcade style action games.

Wait until you see what "mobile" game development starts doing to PC gaming, then your really going to be pissed, that's already happening.

Yes I'm tired of more and more games shipping as arcade games soon to be developed for touch screen.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Why, indeed, should your success in a game depend on what you do in that game?  Surely the answer to that is obvious.

Now, twitch combat isn't the only way to prevent combat from being completely stupid and boring, but it is probably the most common.

That's the funny thing about roleplaying.......one person's mana is another's poison.  MMOs aren't just about combat nor is one style of combat better or more entertaining than the other.  It goes to show just how much game developers are still clueless after all these years, when they haven't learned to resist the stream of lemmings jumping off the cliff. (In other words, something new and exciting shouldn't equate to every upcoming MMO embracing twitchy combat).

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

What are people doing in a twitch game that would require them to move more than a tab target game ? You're still just pushing buttons and moving the mouse.

From my own experience I spam buttons way less in action combat like tera than I ever did in wow doing heroic strike on my warrior. 

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Why, indeed, should your success in a game depend on what you do in that game?  Surely the answer to that is obvious.

Now, twitch combat isn't the only way to prevent combat from being completely stupid and boring, but it is probably the most common.

That's the funny thing about roleplaying.......one person's mana is another's poison.  MMOs aren't just about combat nor is one style of combat better or more entertaining than the other.  It goes to show just how much game developers are still clueless after all these years, when they haven't learned to resist the stream of lemmings jumping off the cliff. (In other words, something new and exciting shouldn't equate to every upcoming MMO embracing twitchy combat).

+1

Or only combat roles as THE game (e.g., the proliferation of PvP in MMORPGs, and the 10000000001 combat moves).

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Whats your list of "twitch" mmorpgs look like? From my experience, there really are not many "twitch" mmorpgs available so I am wondering what your considering to be "twitch" ?
    I may be wrong, but *my* idea of "twitch games" are the ones where I am mashing my mouse button to hit my target. Using that definition, there are many, many MMOs out that have this, along with many, many more to be released soon. Add to that the active dodge/block feature and the number of games grows.

I miss NOT having my right hand tied to my mouse in MMOs, especially during combat.

I want the skills I develop for my character to be counted in combat, not my own personal reflexes.

Tab Target has a false slam made on it all the time. In the tab target games *I* played, I could NEVER face away from my opponent and still hit them. I usually got some kind of message in my chatbox that said "You are facing the wrong way." You still have to aim, somewhat, in tab targeting games.

Now, in tab target games, missiles that chase opponents around corners is rather disquieting, but I can live with that.

Like the OP, I am all for slowing down combat and getting my old and slow reflexes out of the picture.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by LagKingBong
    There are plenty of turn-based MMO's for those more prone to skill debilitations like arthritis, bad eyes and bad reflexes. Or chess. FFXIV, to start, is a super easy combat system requiring barely any coordination.
    Name 10. I can think of 3, maybe 5 if I look hard. Does that qualify as "plenty" for you?

Wizard101.
    Atlantica 2.
    Pirate101.

There is a difference of how players want to play. It used to be most players wanted to pretend their *character* was in the game. Most players today want to be in the game *themselves*, NOT their characters. For me, this is a HUGE Roleplaying division. My character may have a dexterity of 100+, but no matter what, he is stuck with my dismal dexterity of maybe 10 in a twitch-fest game. A character may have an Intelligence of 10, but most players will scour the web for game info that would give their characters the equivalent of 100+ Intelligence.

Twitch combat is not, in itself, a bad thing. I enjoy it in certain games. RPGs are not those kinds of games, for me. Twitch combat is also why I avoid FPS games.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I thought this was going to be a gripe session about TwitchTV. :p What is it lately with these weird threads where the OP wants choices removed for everyone else?
    I did not get that feeling at all. The OP did not say, "Twicth Combat Needs To GO!" They instead said, "Anyone else tired of all the twitch combat MMOs?" Seems like a huge difference to me.

I do not know of many MMOs (if any) coming out in the near future that have tab targeting. I could be wrong as I do not follow every MMO in development. But the OP seems to be asking for tab targeting to not be forgotten in the MMO genre, to which I agree wholeheartedly.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Turn based combat can really easily be broken down into pattern. So let say for normal mob : 1 , 2 , 2 , 4 , 1 , 2 ...<snip>Now if someone would come up with good turn based system that is not pattern based....
    And throwing in a mouse click here and there PLUS a double tap dodge to the smaller variety of skill keys makes it sooooo much more interesting after the millions of fights a player will engage in their time in any MMO.

Pattern based. Do almost anything enough times, and you will notice patterns. That is how the human mind is geared.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by LagKingBong
    There are plenty of turn-based MMO's for those more prone to skill debilitations like arthritis, bad eyes and bad reflexes. Or chess. FFXIV, to start, is a super easy combat system requiring barely any coordination.

Name 10. I can think of 3, maybe 5 if I look hard. Does that qualify as "plenty" for you?

Wizard101.
    Atlantica 2.
    Pirate101.

There is a difference of how players want to play. It used to be most players wanted to pretend their *character* was in the game. Most players today want to be in the game *themselves*, NOT their characters. For me, this is a HUGE Roleplaying division. My character may have a dexterity of 100+, but no matter what, he is stuck with my dismal dexterity of maybe 10 in a twitch-fest game. A character may have an Intelligence of 10, but most players will scour the web for game info that would give their characters the equivalent of 100+ Intelligence.

Twitch combat is not, in itself, a bad thing. I enjoy it in certain games. RPGs are not those kinds of games, for me. Twitch combat is also why I avoid FPS games.

Then new RPG's are NOT for you. I get sick of turn based combat - bleh!

if I am involved in a battle, I want to be able to move around. When you fight in RL, you don't just stand there and fight - you move around. It is more realistic and more involving (well, except for ESO combat which is just mashing keys).

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Twitch combat prevent one button macros and cheating.
    Originally posted by botrytis

if I am involved in a battle, I want to be able to move around. When you fight in RL, you don't just stand there and fight - you move around. It is more realistic and more involving (well, except for ESO combat which is just mashing keys).

But in RL fights you still have to be within arm's reach of the other guy, unless it's a shootout.

Those dudes duking it out in the parking lot aren't running, jumping and twirling. If they're not trying to box, they're wrestling their opponent, before sticking him with whatever he has in his hands at the moment.

The combat some are seeking is very active, such active combat isn't suited for games designed to be played as timesinks, though. FPS games can be v-e-r-y movement orientated, but matches end pretty quickly.  2hrs of it a night is enough, and it's off to bed. MMOs, 2hrs you're just began the day/night. So active combat will become more of  chore than actual fun. If I have to be fully rested, ate, drank and all to have 2 hands available to just kill *a* boar, the game becomes anything but a game. It's worse than actual hunting in RL (those guys waiting for a doe in a deer stand aren't hopping around from 4am to 6am to keep entertained). ^-^

Come to think of it, Mountain Dew and Cheetos wouldn't be such IT cultural icons, if we did have the combat we see now, too. Who could eat or drink when full concentration and 2 hands are needed to kill a single boar???

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Let me explain you idea behind twitch combat in mmo. Maybe you be more receptive when you understand it :

Combat is something you do over and over , for hundreds of thousands times in course mmo.

Turn based combat can really easily be broken down into pattern. So let say for normal mob : 1 , 2 , 2 , 4 , 1 , 2 ...

This turns into boredom. And since the combat is the majority of play , and its pattern repetition. Developers decided to make combat more twitch , because twitch is unpredictable (more or less)

Now if someone would come up with good turn based system  that is not pattern based....

And Twitching offers even less choices while it is as repetitive if not more...
    The way combat is designed is simply boring and repetitive, it has nothing to do if it is "Turn Based" or "Twitch".
    TERA is said having Twitch combat and it is the most boring experience i ever had but TESO is not much better.
    Thoughtful and variable combat only happens in turn based or very slow paced combat systems.

This is not fault of twitch system but bad gameplay design. Noting can help that

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Dear God no.

I would rather success in combat be based on skill and not spreadsheets.

The EQ/WoW style of turn based combat has gone about as far as it will go and it is time for a change.

I want MMO combat to evolve and improve, not be cemented in the past and stagnate.

Ditto.

Player skill > leet loot stats.

Your gear helps, certainly... but I'm not looking at a gear dependent/driven mmo ever again.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I agree. It's because MMOs are no longer being based on pen and paper games. They are now purely video games aiming to attract console and FPS players who have probably never played a pen and paper session in their lives.

It's a sad trend from my perspective but I don't see it changing any time soon except maybe in some niche games like Pathfinder Online.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i think it's quite allright for short term gameplay like doing some instanced pvp here and there.. but for mmo's it gets pretty annoying with all the jumping and dodging etc while doing pve.. wich you usually spend longer stretches of time doing.

I had fun once, it was terrible.