Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Anything that can cause you death in the future...we will remove it" WTF??

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Round Table Poll -

In Landmark, to what degree should you be able to negatively affect other players' gameplay?

Never/Not at all!- 32%

Only people on my friends list in limited ways.- 14%

Only people on my friends list, but in significant/game-altering ways.- 6%

Everyone, all the time, but only in minor ways.- 25%

I want to be able to cause death and destruction!- 24%

Here is SOE's VIDEO Roundtable response to this poll - What do you guys think? I don't think the response matches the poll. I'm starting to feel like I need a refund.

Here's the thread I started on the EQN:L Forums -  Very concerned about the extremely conservative development of Landmark

Here's the thread the actual poll was attached too, from the EQN site. Everyone can post here.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Refund for what? You got everything you paid for.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

It's SOE... You can always trust them to make the wrong decision.

It's like a law or some thing.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Okay, I cannot view the video.

Could you clarify something for me- Are they saying "anything that can cause you death in the future...We will remove it" as in ANYTHING? Or is this relating to PVP or something another player can do to cause you death.

Thanks- My reply depends on this answer. =P

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

Okay, I cannot view the video.

Could you clarify something for me- Are they saying "anything that can cause you death in the future...We will remove it" as in ANYTHING? Or is this relating to PVP or something another player can do to cause you death.

Thanks- My reply depends on this answer. =P

Anything another player can do. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Most definitely not the title for me, I fully support "emergent griefing", heck, creativity should be rewarded and not removed.

Perhaps the title needs to be changed to Everquest Next: Safety Edition image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by AzurePrower

It's SOE... You can always trust them to make the wrong decision.

It's like a law or some thing.

Planetside 2 dev team 

EQN:L Deve team  

Originally posted by Kyleran

Most definitely not the title for me, I fully support "emergent griefing", heck, creativity should be rewarded and not removed.

Perhaps the title needs to be changed to Everquest Next: Safety Edition image

Dude you have no idea how disgusting that video is to me.  

AT THIS POINT EQN:L is more of a tool than an mmorpg. Who knows that could change in a month. Videos like this don't give me much hope though. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

There is no way I am spending hours harvesting and collecting and building and then some clown comes and destroys it in like a minute. No way will I support such a game especially because of the sheer amount of time my work cost me and the other person puts nothing in except to destroy and grief me. I will vehemently support any suggestion to curtail any such negative behaviour.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by kitarad

There is no way I am spending hours harvesting and collecting and building and then some clown comes and destroys it in like a minute. No way will I support such a game especially because of the sheer amount of time my work cost me and the other person puts nothing in except to destroy and grief me. I will vehemently support any suggestion to curtail any such negative behaviour.

I agree.. You would have to be an idiot to think SOE would let any random person, that walks by, destroy your property.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The way land mark seems to be going about things makes me think they took a page right out of firefalls development.

Nobody really seems to have any idea what they really want to build but if enough people ask for it they'll add it in.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

...I tend to agree with you although I would have argued the point just a year ago.

I like FFA PVP- I really do. However, the playerbase it attracts these days makes whatever game go the PVP route attract mainly PVPers and thus becomes an arena and less of an rpg.

The days of a sandbox working with FFA ruleset is sadly gone, imho. A sandbox needs all kinds of players and the FFA crowd generally destroys the playerbase until its only the FFA crowd left. Te whole 'all wolves and no sheep equals bored wolves. Then, since the paying playerbase are generally PVP minded the game shifts towards an arena.

Still not sure I will be playing this regardless- Alot will depend on the payment method, cash shop and other variables.

That said- I think this is a good move (although it does sadden me a bit)

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Totally agree. I wouldn't consider playing if it was any other way.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Disappointing.

Never/Not at all!- 32%

I guess I just don't get why people want a simple game they won't stick with.  In EQ1 death was severe, although of course the victim could be resurrected at a decent XP reimbursement.

Part of the danger with EQ1 was loss.  Sometimes incredible.  Don't DIE!.  Nowadays folks just accept it as part of the master game-play.

I guess I am just shying away from games that accept death as a game-play mechanic.  EverQuest was built around that mechanic, so I'm just ho-hum about what SOE is saying.

Death should mean more than just resurrecting at your local graveyard / temple.  It should really be a bad thing, so people avoid it.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I agree.. You would have to be an idiot to think SOE would let any random person, that walks by, destroy your property.

Play on a non-combat art and design server, problem solved.

Originally posted by DamonVile

The way land mark seems to be going about things makes me think they took a page right out of firefalls development.

Nobody really seems to have any idea what they really want to build but if enough people ask for it they'll add it in.

I almost feel like they really have nothing designed beyond building tools, idk. Beta starts in 3 weeks though...

• Dampiel_szDampiel_sz Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by bcbully

Here is SOE's VIDEO Roundtable response to this poll - What do you guys think? I don't think the response matches the poll. I'm starting to feel like I need a refund.

So you bought into a game that was not release with everything subject to change and you want a refund? hahaha

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Round Table Poll -In Landmark, to what degree should you be able to negatively affect other players' gameplay?
    Never/Not at all!- 32%Only people on my friends list in limited ways.- 14%Only people on my friends list, but in significant/game-altering ways.- 6%Everyone, all the time, but only in minor ways.- 25%

Wait a second. The "majority" (32%) answered "Not at all" and when they go that route, you're upset?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Dampiel_sz

So you bought into a game that was not release with everything subject to change and you want a refund? hahaha

Everything is subject to change is why the offer the refund I think... "If you are not satisfied"

I'm just very concerned, and alpha is a good place to say so.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Round Table Poll -

In Landmark, to what degree should you be able to negatively affect other players' gameplay?
    Never/Not at all!- 32%

Everyone, all the time, but only in minor ways.- 25%

Wait a second. The "majority" (32%) answered "Not at all" and when they go that route, you're upset?

They're going that route when 50% say they want more. It seems like there has to be a better way. Give those people a server where "all negative" is tuned off... Idk There has to be a better way.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    How are these differences not easily handled by different server rules?  It's not like adding PvP servers is a technical feat in 2014...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

This is not about the death penalty where you go and fight NPCs in Guk or Solusek B where you avoid death. This game from what I understand is about creating things for Everquest Next. They would naturally encourage creation over destruction simply because the true value in Landmark is to encourage creativity that they can use. Why would they encourage their pool of creators to be gutted by players whose only interest is to destroy ?

Have you ever spent hours building a house of cards and only to have your little brother come kick it in one second. I have no idea about the statistics but I am guessing the number of people who will avoid any time investment in a game where their efforts can be easily destroyed is more than the number who enjoy having their hard earned creations being subject to the careless whimsy of a another.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

If you want more.. go play a game with more.  

I enjoy not getting griefed by young idiots.  Because that's EXACTLY what FFA PVP caters to.  Those clowns wouldn't know honor if it bit them on the arse.  They don't check themselves and all it'd take is one moment of Haha this'll be awesome.. because they'll post their dumb antics on youtube so their brethren see it and then their brethren will follow the lead because they're like lemmings.

For the same reason, I HATE the food patch in Minecraft.  It's a waste and I don't need a game giving me shit about mining all day.  I don't need to eat.. it's a GAME.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Ikeda

If you want more.. go play a game with more.  

I enjoy not getting griefed by young idiots.  Because that's EXACTLY what FFA PVP caters to.  Those clowns wouldn't know honor if it bit them on the arse.  They don't check themselves and all it'd take is one moment of Haha this'll be awesome.. because they'll post their dumb antics on youtube so their brethren see it and then their brethren will follow the lead because they're like lemmings.

For the same reason, I HATE the food patch in Minecraft.  It's a waste and I don't need a game giving me shit about mining all day.  I don't need to eat.. it's a GAME.

To my understanding, you can still play EQL without worrying about death.  EQN is where death comes into context.  And the way SOE is presenting death in EQN, it seems like WoW.  Whoops I died, guess I get unlimited tries.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The problem is things happen far too fast,in an unrealistic way.Example your not going to build a super giant Castle then one player comes along and destroys it in a couple hours,that would be dumb in every sense of the word.

The other idea is one that makes me shake my head in disbelief.When they mention the word "Negative"somewhere in their brain it should click NOT a good idea.

Why on earth would anyone WANT to create a system to negatively affect the game and others,it makes ZERO sense.

I know the arguments and i know realism,there is NO way you could ever create the realistic sense of death in a game so the rest of the design approach has to follow suit.

Example in real life you might wander around as a fearsome Warrior back in 1592 and want to kill everything in your path.Well that si fine but there would ALWAYS be the risk of death that ENDS it all,meaning no more play time,no more life.As i said that is NOT going to happen in gaming so neither is the wanted greifing or negativity on game play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

EQN:L is not the full mmorpg it is the one that let's you create stuff so NO you wont be able to destroy things. Would not make sense. 

EQN is the version like wow, gw2, etc. but with a twist where everything in there can be destroyed and rebuild like in the vid we saw a few months back where the warrior jumps on the bridge and destroys it then you see it after a while getting restored. And if your creation are really that good then it could be voted to get added to that part of the game.

Could be wrong about this but that what i read on EQN:L website where it says what EQN:L is in the feature section .

Here is what i see on there webpage :

Have you ever wanted to build a game?Landmark gives you all the tools you need to design anything you can imagine. Your creations could even end up as a part of EverQuest Next.