Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Breaking News - Housing Announced

Comments

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    Looks like it will be instanced too, that's not good housing to me. Also doesn't look like you get to choose what it looks like other than putting a few items in it. No building the house just instanced..

Realistically what other option does a game like TOR have? It wouldn't be exactly smart use of resource to create a whole land mass for one features that's more a luxury than something of purpose to a story featured Themepark.

Yet we see here why DEVs like those who are making ESO decided to skip this feature, few are happy with it unless it's done a certain way (non instanced), these types of games wouldn't really benefit from anything other than instanced housing. As they don't have the open space of a game like SWG. Again why create it for such a a trivial use?

For a lot of people, it isn't trivial.  Using non-instanced housing has proven in games like SWG, Vanguard and LOTRO to be conducive to community building and if done right, such as the way they are implementing it in Wildstar, can be tied into the game world and gameplay in many unique and entertaining ways.  If they're too lazy to develop something worthwhile, why bother at all.

Lazy? It has nothing to do with being lazy, it's about budget, scope and direction.. SWG, Vanguard and to a lesser extent LOTRO, are/were more focused on being worlds/universes, SWTOR is focused on being a representation of a story based IP. TOR really wouldn't benefit from what you're suggesting at it's core. Such a housing system would have to be completely segregated from the base game world. How exactly do you do it "right" in such a case?

Wasn't Lotro's housing pretty much instanced as well?  I seem to recall that each race had a housing instance, and you had to choose the neighborhood to buy you house, but it was all removed from the regular world.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Blasphim

Wasn't Lotro's housing pretty much instanced as well?  I seem to recall that each race had a housing instance, and you had to choose the neighborhood to buy you house, but it was all removed from the regular world.

That is correct; there are neighborhoods of about 15-20 houses, and a few guild houses.  The system is a good one if you can grab a neighborhood and fill it with guild members.  But yes, it's still outside the open world.

I don't expect this system to give us even that much.  I'm imagining every goodie you see in that trailer being something you buy with creds or from the cash shop, and just appearing in the designated place once you do.  That's how they did ship mail/market terminals; I have no reason to think this will be different.  To me, it just looks like another money sink.  At least when you buy the ship terminals, you're buying convenience. 

I'd rather they just gave us more home based options with our ships.  About everything we know regarding our characters in the game indicates we're pretty much "on the road" 24/7, anyway.  I certainly have no idea why a Smuggler would rent a flat on Coruscant, or Nar Shaddaa, for that matter.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by Blasphim

That is correct; there are neighborhoods of about 15-20 houses, and a few guild houses.  The system is a good one if you can grab a neighborhood and fill it with guild members.  But yes, it's still outside the open world.

I don't expect this system to give us even that much.  I'm imagining every goodie you see in that trailer being something you buy with creds or from the cash shop, and just appearing in the designated place once you do.  That's how they did ship mail/market terminals; I have no reason to think this will be different.  To me, it just looks like another money sink.  At least when you buy the ship terminals, you're buying convenience. 

I'd rather they just gave us more home based options with our ships.  About everything we know regarding our characters in the game indicates we're pretty much "on the road" 24/7, anyway.  I certainly have no idea why a Smuggler would rent a flat on Coruscant, or Nar Shaddaa, for that matter.

Possibly for use as safe-houses, places to lay low, store weapons and such?

But that all entails a deeper RP playstyle and more sandbox elements than I think this game can realistically support. A lot of it will come down to customization, but I fear that as you say, items will just be anchored in designated places.

Originally posted by dirtyd77

I posted this in another post, however just wanted to add it here as this is my opinion on housing.

For me there has only been one housing that I truly love and it was..... wait for it ... wait for it... here it comes... SWG

No other game I have tried has come close to the housing and all that it entailed in SWG.  That is how housing should be done.

All of these other games including the ones mentioned here in this post.... are truly just a waste of time. As far as the housing systems go.

I want  the random stranger roaming around to be able to come in and look at my handy work. 

I want to be able to place my house where I like.  Not floating in the sky or hidden behind an instance wall.

I want people to be able to just show up at my house and by from my vendor inside my house. 

I want to be able to craft my house & the things that go inside. 

I want to be able to put anything I want inside my house. Not have to choose from a pre determined list.

I want all things for my house to be included with my sub... not purchased from a cash shop on top of my sub.

If those criteria aren't met then it is just a waste of resources IMO. 

Again this is just my opinion.

Pretty much agree.  SWG, IMO had the best housing system of any game.  And it's the only system that made me feel like it was MY HOUSE.

Unfortunately, in order to do that, methinx you have to do it almost exactly like they did it. 

Each game space(planet) has to be nearly void of any significant landmarks.  SWG's planets were pretty much empty space.  2 shuttle areas, 1 starport/town/city to where a player requires no more than 10 minutes of travel time to get around.

Sparse wandering monster population, and dynamic(random) quest locations...

...and a great deal of sprawling, insignificant space.

And obviously, for better or for worse, most games these days are pretty much the opposite of this.  Pretty much every bit of space in their gaming world is tied to a quest or questline.  Methinx the Voss wouldn't much appreciate me plopping my Obi Wan hut down on their holy path... image

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Azzras

I'll guarantee almost every item is a cash shop exclusive...

This...Why i'm not hyped about it.....

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Why do I feel like they are only adding this now because all these other more enticing MMOs will have it.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

I posted this in another post, however just wanted to add it here as this is my opinion on housing.

For me there has only been one housing that I truly love and it was..... wait for it ... wait for it... here it comes... SWG

No other game I have tried has come close to the housing and all that it entailed in SWG.  That is how housing should be done.

All of these other games including the ones mentioned here in this post.... are truly just a waste of time. As far as the housing systems go.

I want  the random stranger roaming around to be able to come in and look at my handy work. 

I want to be able to place my house where I like.  Not floating in the sky or hidden behind an instance wall.

I want people to be able to just show up at my house and by from my vendor inside my house. 

I want to be able to put anything I want inside my house. Not have to choose from a pre determined list.

I want all things for my house to be included with my sub... not purchased from a cash shop on top of my sub.

QFT..

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

My thoughts exactly. As someone who loved the game... ( I have my Malgus statue on my bookshelf in my office at work still ) 

The cash shop and the way they nickle & dimed their subscribers to death killed the game for me. 

I am glad to see they are adding it in for those still enjoying the game however. 

Where, exactly, is the game nickle and diming subscribers to death?  For someone who has everything "unlocked" because he is subscribed, pretty much everything in the shop is purely cosmetic.  How many outfits do you need?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    I could care less about housing if it is instanced.  SWG was the only game that even came close to getting it right in my book.  Housing should be a tool for community and world building.

Absolutely agree. Instanced housing ends up being just glorified banks. While it can be a pleasant distraction, it is hardly much of a world builder. 

I would check this out, but I strongly suspect it will be a rmt for both subscribers and F2P folk, as was previously suggested. In which case, no way.

Originally posted by Hanthos

Possibly for use as safe-houses, places to lay low, store weapons and such?

But that all entails a deeper RP playstyle and more sandbox elements than I think this game can realistically support. A lot of it will come down to customization, but I fear that as you say, items will just be anchored in designated places.

Right.  RP is pretty much out.  Unless they revamp emotes, drinking, dancing, chat bubbles, using stuff, you'll get exactly as much RP in housing as you do now in cantinas... none.

Customization: here's to hoping they AT LEAST give us a lotro type hook system.  This being said as the LotRO forums are filled to the brim with people that are fed up with the hook system...

Failing all that, at least give us some kind of gameplay functionality?  DCU gives you some extra options as you build your lair.  Buff manufacturing, orbital strikes, etc.  I don't know what would fit with SWTOR... maybe some more crafting options?

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Wish they would spend their time and money making content and not fluff. The space battles where awesome...the hutt xpac was good as well. Not really hyped with the housing, I wasn't much of a dollhouse guy growing up....nahwutimeen?
  • SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Well this might bring some back but I wont go back Poor CS  for 1 thing and I gave them 3 chances and they failed on each one Its nice to hear this but this one doesn't interest me anymore!
  • SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I could care less about housing if it is instanced.  SWG was the only game that even came close to getting it right in my book.  Housing should be a tool for community and world building.

Yea and ya know I do miss SWG its to bad what SOE did to it a lot of struggles (bugs) in the game but I certainly did like the concept of it.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Sounds like they copied Ultima Online all the way.

Credit where credit is due.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    And I bet it will not be as good as a SWG's housing. Come to think of it, no other game has matched it yet.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Housing will be a great addition to SWTOR if handled well. I would like to think furniture crafting will be divided amongst the crafting trades, but I fear the more desirable items will be for purchase in the cash shop, and the top tier items will only be available via Cartel Packs. Bioware can see what a cash cow this will prove to be.

I will wait and see how this plays out before entertaining any serious thoughts on returning.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

Maybe it will be an extra fleet ship with flats. That way at least you wouldn't have to load a big planet to get to the housing. Most likely it will be instanced and to enter someone elses house you need to be in a group. Maybe if were realy lucky you can make raidsized  groups and have more than 4 people in the house,  but probably not.

The way i see it is if noone can visit other peoples houses it makes it less interesting to realy pimp your house. I fear it will be a few different flatsizes, maybe even just 1 to start with, with no extra QoL than what normal fleet or full upgraded personal spaceship offers.

I hope to be possitively surprised,  maybe they will add a guild-sized flat since the guildship seems to have sailed.  I'd use that alot more than a personal flat tbh.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    instanced housing?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

My thoughts exactly. As someone who loved the game... ( I have my Malgus statue on my bookshelf in my office at work still ) 

The cash shop and the way they nickle & dimed their subscribers to death killed the game for me. 

I am glad to see they are adding it in for those still enjoying the game however. 

Where, exactly, is the game nickle and diming subscribers to death?  For someone who has everything "unlocked" because he is subscribed, pretty much everything in the shop is purely cosmetic.  How many outfits do you need?

This is just my opinion and the way I feel so take it with a grain of salt....  however I will tell you where I felt nickle and dimed to death.

1. Dyes

2. Cartel Packs

3. Mounts 

4. pets

While these things are purely cosmetic it still is an overall part of the game for me. If I am paying a full sub of $15 mo I do not want to have to pay for all the little extra's... and before you say you can buy them on the AH... I just feel as a full subscriber there should be an in game way to obtain them without being raped on the AH or having someone else have to pay RL money for them to get there...  I mean 1mil credits for a white/white dye or white/black dye that is a one time use... YEAH

In the end you may feel differently but in my eyes that IS nickle and diming.... even it is a perceived thing by me... Perception is reality.. 

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Muke
    instanced housing?

I would say yes. SWTOR is not a sandbox game.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

This is just my opinion and the way I feel so take it with a grain of salt....  however I will tell you where I felt nickle and dimed to death.

1. Dyes

2. Cartel Packs

3. Mounts 

4. pets

While these things are purely cosmetic it still is an overall part of the game for me. If I am paying a full sub of $15 mo I do not want to have to pay for all the little extra's... and before you say you can buy them on the AH... I just feel as a full subscriber there should be an in game way to obtain them without being raped on the AH or having someone else have to pay RL money for them to get there...  I mean 1mil credits for a white/white dye or white/black dye that is a one time use... YEAH

In the end you may feel differently but in my eyes that IS nickle and diming.... even it is a perceived thing by me... Perception is reality.. 

Subscribers get cartel coins with their sub to buy some little extras.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Its sad how people play catch up, Corps only make moves off of other Corps. When will they put money into proper marketing research to fine out what its consumers really want?

Ummmmmmmm, what?

First, SWTOR is one of the largest MMORPGs currently available. So I'd argue that whatever market research was done, it was done well. Games don't just trip over 2 million users. Oops! Oh, look, 2 million users. Awesome! 

Secondly, playing catch-up is a way of life for the majority of games. There can only be one innovator. So, in an industry which some might say is stagnant as far as feature development goes, yeah, they are probably playing catch-up.

Finally, I think that SWTOR is doing a pretty good job listening to what their customers want. You want off-rails flight? Done. You want housing? Done. I mean these are things that people are asking for. Just open your eyes and read the forums. It's literally all.....over......the.....place. 

You probably should take a deep breath and relax a little. My point is this should have been done at the start, I would say this is should be a priority being people have been wanting this way before the game was released, so no the research that was done fail on THIS point. Also you can give a reason for them not doing it till now if you want but there really isn't one to make imo. I never said they are doing a bad job, they could have set there priorities a little differently. 

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Hellidol

You probably should take a deep breath and relax a little. My point is this should have been done at the start, I would say this is should be a priority being people have been wanting this way before the game was released, so no the research that was done fail on THIS point. Also you can give a reason for them not doing it till now if you want but there really isn't one to make imo. I never said they are doing a bad job, they could have set there priorities a little differently. 

I think it's probably fair to say that the audience who cares about housing at all tends to care about housing a lot, but I'm not sure it's fair to say that a substantial portion of the kinds of players who actually play TOR fall into the "care about housing" category.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• sugarbear78664sugarbear78664 Member Posts: 36
    Sounds great!!!!! Wait? How much is this going to cost me???? cause they dont do it for free.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by sugarbear78664
    Sounds great!!!!! Wait? How much is this going to cost me???? cause they dont do it for free.

I'm fairly sure it will be available for everyone, but with some nice decorations being Cartel Market only (no different than it currently is with mounts, outfits, etc).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/