Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Sick Of Leveling and Questing!

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by doug200463

"Game designers need to come up with new ideas when it comes to advancing your character"

Possibly but I absolutely love leveling. I know others do as well. Of course there are those who don't. maybe it's more about just having different types of games that cater to different audiences.

Yeah, like a building -- not tearing down -- PvE game that is complex in what you can build...with nothing dropped but building/tradeskilling mats, so everything is solely tradeskill made. And the only PvP is in an arena worthy of calling an arena fight (a true sunday night event), so the kiddies have to wear pants not diapers to PeeVeePee.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Game designers need to come up with new ideas when it comes to advancing your character, I have got so sick of the normal MMO grind, more and more levels added, quests holding me in zones, when i just want to move on to another zone.. I have went back to Ultima Online.. where you can explore the whole world w/o having to worry about mobs being over level.. NO MORE LEVELS!!! 

Lol, you think the reason most MMOs are based around quests is because game designers haven't thought of anything else?! HAHHAHAA.

There have been a number of games that have tried to do away with questing in their games. Know what happened? People complained that there were no quests (or they were 'too confused' as to where to go in the game), and they were forced to add them BACK IN!

A lot of designers I know would actually prefer to do things differently. It's more interesting for them. They build games for a living. What do you think is more fun? Making the same game over and over, or brainstorming / experimenting w/ something new entirely?

The problem is, as much as we talk about new ideas in gaming, we rarely actually support them. We prefer the illusion of change to the real thing.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I think Eve Online had the right idea - it's just a pity that the most boring activities (using spreadsheets) happen to be the most rewarding in the game.

In theory, player-made content should hold more interest long-term, but devs don't seem to tap this resource.

CCP doesn't want PvE in their game, which is a shame. If CCP released EvE as a PvE game, it probably would've beat WoW, as the crafting system in that game is truly galactic in scope (it's also a very pretty game if you're a astronomer type). All the napkin math the game requires ensures paper will never go extinct, either! lol

Shame PvP ruined the game for the masses, and incursions (PvE raid level fights) came too late to really enjoy the game. If CCP released EvE 2.0 as a PvE space sim...bye WoW, bye, bye, bye!!!

Eve Online as a PvE game does not work.  The idea of high, low, null and wormhole space no longer has any meaning.  Only a handful of ships and modules would still be useful.  The need for corps and alliances diminishes greatly, they become another chat box like most other mmorpg's.  The meta-game disappears.  Fighting for territory is no more.  Piracy is no longer a profession.  No more war decs, RvB or faction war.  Without the wars and skirmishes the demand for ships and modules becomes almost nil.  At the same time mining bots will abound in low and null sec.  Mineral prices then fall off a cliff.  The game economy collapses.

The miners and industrialists wouldn't want that game anymore.  Their services would barely be needed and there would be no profit in it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

I think Eve Online had the right idea - it's just a pity that the most boring activities (using spreadsheets) happen to be the most rewarding in the game.

In theory, player-made content should hold more interest long-term, but devs don't seem to tap this resource.

CCP doesn't want PvE in their game, which is a shame. If CCP released EvE as a PvE game, it probably would've beat WoW, as the crafting system in that game is truly galactic in scope (it's also a very pretty game if you're a astronomer type). All the napkin math the game requires ensures paper will never go extinct, either! lol

Shame PvP ruined the game for the masses, and incursions (PvE raid level fights) came too late to really enjoy the game. If CCP released EvE 2.0 as a PvE space sim...bye WoW, bye, bye, bye!!!

Eve Online as a PvE game does not work.  The idea of high, low, null and wormhole space no longer has any meaning.  Only a handful of ships and modules would still be useful.  The need for corps and alliances diminishes greatly, they become another chat box like most other mmorpg's.  The meta-game disappears.  Fighting for territory is no more.  Piracy is no longer a profession.  No more war decs, RvB or faction war.  Without the wars and skirmishes the demand for ships and modules becomes almost nil.  At the same time mining bots will abound in low and null sec.  Mineral prices then fall off a cliff.  The game economy collapses.

The miners and industrialists wouldn't want that game anymore.  Their services would barely be needed and there would be no profit in it.

Too you, as you favor FFA PvP.

To those who favor PvE content (where the game IS the content, not players), EvE PvE can work very well. I can envision some complex mining mechanics(beyond babysitting and switching crystals)/refining (beyond just stuffing it in a refiner to instantly give you 12,285,321 Titanium) and station environment (for the distributors who have to pack the ore) for those who want to chill for their fun. With incursions, it can turn a whole region into a galactic PvE raid farm (I like how they did those, made the whole zone creepy even -- even PvPers avoided the area, L4-L5 mission runners though love them). :D

The rest of the makeup (e.g., corps and territories) aren't PvP dependent. EQ2 showed that if a little work on a dev's part, you won't be able to bot things, too (the tradeskill stations for example, which to avoid nearly getting killed, you have to click the right buttons...and the sequence is server delivered...bot can't guess the next sequence). The added benefit of the tradeskill stations is they're chat magnets, which is how and why the guilds became more popular than the cities full of strangers. :)

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Game designers need to come up with new ideas when it comes to advancing your character, I have got so sick of the normal MMO grind, more and more levels added, quests holding me in zones, when i just want to move on to another zone.. I have went back to Ultima Online.. where you can explore the whole world w/o having to worry about mobs being over level.. NO MORE LEVELS!!! 

Lol, you think the reason most MMOs are based around quests is because game designers haven't thought of anything else?! HAHHAHAA.

There have been a number of games that have tried to do away with questing in their games. Know what happened? People complained that there were no quests (or they were 'too confused' as to where to go in the game), and they were forced to add them BACK IN!

A lot of designers I know would actually prefer to do things differently. It's more interesting for them. They build games for a living. What do you think is more fun? Making the same game over and over, or brainstorming / experimenting w/ something new entirely?

The problem is, as much as we talk about new ideas in gaming, we rarely actually support them. We prefer the illusion of change to the real thing.

I'm interested. Can you tell me which games these where? BTW, if you meantion GW2, because people got lost with DE, please remember that it was still a level/zone based mmo with more similarities to standart mmos than differences. BTW, i like GW2 alot.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Wait, what? That's not how it worked in UO. There were level barriers preventing you from going places. There was no character level but unless you were skilled up some of the monsters will destroy you. Same concept, just a different presentation.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by dave6660

Too you, as you favor FFA PvP.

To those who favor PvE content (where the game IS the content, not players), EvE PvE can work very well. I can envision some complex mining mechanics(beyond babysitting and switching crystals)/refining (beyond just stuffing it in a refiner to instantly give you 12,285,321 Titanium) and station environment (for the distributors who have to pack the ore) for those who want to chill for their fun. With incursions, it can turn a whole region into a galactic PvE raid farm (I like how they did those, made the whole zone creepy even -- even PvPers avoided the area, L4-L5 mission runners though love them). :D

The rest of the makeup (e.g., corps and territories) aren't PvP dependent. EQ2 showed that if a little work on a dev's part, you won't be able to bot things, too (the tradeskill stations for example, which to avoid nearly getting killed, you have to click the right buttons...and the sequence is server delivered...bot can't guess the next sequence). The added benefit of the tradeskill stations is they're chat magnets, which is how and why the guilds became more popular than the cities full of strangers. :)

It's not that I favor FFA PvP games.  I like PvE games just as much.  It's just that of late, the parts of PvE games that I enjoy (leveling and crafting) have become mindless.  "End game" raiding is not my thing.  I usually retire my character when he hits max level.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I agree with you OP.  I prefer simulation games over level/quest but whenever they've been tried they're not popular.  The gaming industry is about making money and this is the problem.  Like all entertainment industries.  We're stuck watching what sells.  We're stuck gaming what sells.  We're stuck listening to the songs that sell.  

The true game at the heart of each of us would not sell.

So let's reach into the balloon and pull it inside out; look at the problem upsidedown.  Why do we need someone to sell us stuff?  Why are games, movies, songs, etc etc etc so hard to make?  If everyone could sing and easy access data in our brain banks and craft pottery, etc, etc, etc we would not need to be sold anything anymore.

How do we become the creators?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

The true game at the heart of each of us would not sell.

There is no "us". The true game at the heart of me sold 15M copies.

How do we become the creators?

I don't want to become the creators. Games are content product to entertain me. Why would i want to create?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Wondering why you play games at all. Because LEVELING AND QUESTING is all that is fun in games. And there is NO game without leveling. Forget about you can be anything you like ... does not exist. There is ALWAYS present some kind of leveling. Ok, without questing I remember only one pure pvp.

Originally posted by nariusseldon?

I don't want to become the creators. Games are content product to entertain me. Why would i want to create?

Because creating things is v-e-r-y fun. It's why people study to have a career in making things, too.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

OP has a point. Most MMORPG's have nothing to do with RPG's anymore. RPG's were about having an adventure and playing a role in it in the way you wanted (not talking about holy trinity role here). Original pen and paper also allowed out of the box thinking to solve situations you encountered. Levels were only introduced as a way to show character progression.

But for some reason, MMO's made levelling and levels one of the main features. But it is not just the designers. A large part of the MMO community also sees levelling a toon as the main reason for playing a MMO. Imo, this turned most MMO's into games that are just about filling the next achievement bar. Some MMO's are full of gimmicks like these (GW2 for example where everything is tied to some achievement bar). When devs talk about making exploring meaningfull nowadays, most of the time it just means they added an achievement bar for you to fill by visiting key spots on their small maps.

I guess it is difficult for a company to come up with a new system too. Because before they get to release it, they get to answer questions like 'what is endgame like?' , 'how long does it take to level?', Most questions will be (indirectly) about levelling a toon.

I also would like to see a world that you can explore and is not divided in areas of different arbitrary levels. In which you have to do quests that give you the xp to gain those lvls. Destroying replayability at the same time. I would much prefer Ultima Online's character progression over any other character progression in a MMO. Where assessing difficulty of encounters would be based on common sense, instead of some number above a mobs head (like how a bear is obviously more dangerous then a rabbit , if its not a killer rabbit anyway).

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Now i just want to play a game where i don't have to chase after quests since start to end

And boss time wasn't instance run but event where players gather .

When still play old games , i wish there are more quests to broken the heavy mobs grind.

But now a days games make me feel that even mobs grind wasn't that bad.

In old days i cursed that there aren't enough bosses for everyone.

Now a days with instance gear treadmill , i don't even know what difference between boss and mobs

It sure that now a days games offer me more than i can dream about in old days ,

but because it too much , it make me grow sick.

Old game like the cup of bitter coffee , some enjoy it but for me it hard to drink

So i want some sweet sugar add and ask for it

Then they fill my cup with sugar to the point i can't drink it anymore.

The coffee need the bitter to be called coffee , it need some sweet to be drink able , but if it don't have the bitter in it , what point to drink coffee ?

Originally posted by iixviiiix

Now a days with instance gear treadmill , i don't even know what difference between boss and mobs

Hmmm...

That's what happens when games like WoW become the World of Stuncraft, even on mob trash.

Bosses and mini-bosses are suppose to be special, not as the mechanic to prolong runs through those instances where every 3 pack of trash is like a boss in scope. So when players finally get to THE boss, it's like Deathwing, and just as boring.

What I really dislike now in raiding is the dexterity required, as bosses have the AoEs forcing players to run around like chickens. Furthermore, all I see of my v-e-r-y limited abilities is IMMUNE IMMUNE IMMUNE (hey, Blizzard if you give players abilities, how about those abilities even work on the content???).

Games are becoming more depressing to play when you're end-gamed with epic trash mobs; over half your abilities doesn't even work on even the trash; and you're required to run around for absolutely no rhyme or reason, all to say, "entertained yet?" -_-

NO!

Because creating things is v-e-r-y fun. It's why people study to have a career in making things, too.

Fun is subjective. While i may create stuff at work, it is not fun to me to create games. I watch movies. I dont make them. Same for games. I play them. I dont make them. 

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Fun is subjective. While i may create stuff at work, it is not fun to me to create games. I watch movies. I dont make them. Same for games. I play them. I dont make them. 

If the process isn't fun for you it's called, work.

If the process is fun for you it's called, entertainment.

Getting paid for making entertainment is called...a dream job. ^-^

Only if you like making entertainment. I would much rather do math (and yes, that is what i do a lot at my job)

Only if you like making entertainment. I would much rather do math (and yes, that is what i do a lot at my job)

An others would like to make the entertainment, and get specifically trained to do just that, as they find it fun. Getting a paycheck while doing it is icing on top, even if it involves the messy math.

One man's poison, is another man's ambrosia.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

So, don't play MMORPGs or RPGs if you don't like the gameplay.

Asking for MMORPGs and RPGs to be something else is basically saying that you want to play other games.

So, do that.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

More like want to mod them than make them.

For example , the graphic of elder scroll games IV and V kind of ... so people who don't like the original graphic change it to they taste.

It not like they make complete new game , but by mod them , the game become better to enjoy.

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

Welcome to MMOCasino, where only your real life cash is important! Who needs level!

Btw, I believe there are MMORPGs where the game use a skill-based system rather than level system.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    If you do not like doing quests or character progression than maybe MMOs are not for you.  Many young gamers simply do not have the patience or attention span to play a MMO.  Which is likely why they spend so much time on MMO forums trying to tear down and destroy MMOs.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People WANT PROGRESSION. How are you to judge how you are doing without it?

Your game idea will never happen because as much a posters on the forum say they want exactly what you are talking about, they always say they want progression. You can have one or the other.

That is why GW 2 refreshing, the scale down is nice and makes things more explorable.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu, and EVE got it right. Prime examples of non-quest centric design.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Voqar

So, don't play MMORPGs or RPGs if you don't like the gameplay.

Asking for MMORPGs and RPGs to be something else is basically saying that you want to play other games.

So, do that.

imageyou need to get out more.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"