Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Funcom Profits Down Due to Crowded F2P MMO Space

13»

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Rusque

I've been saying this since the advent of f2p. Eventually you reach such a critical mass of f2p titles that you spread those who are the "payers" too thin and can't support anything anymore.

f2p only works when you have a concentration of people willing to shell out in the cash shop, once you divide those people across too many games, f2p's true colors will show.

I've been saying this since the advent of p2p. Eventually you reach such a critical mass of p2p titles that you spread those who are "subbers" too thin and can't support anything anymore.

p2p only works when you have a concentration of people willing to shell out a monthly fee, once you divide those people across too many games, p2p's true colors will show.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Funcom are trying desperately to provide their existing fans with an almost "Cash Shop free" play experience, but it's going to kill them.

F2P only works for AAA MMO's if those games launched as sub-only and had a year or two of subscription income on top of the initial box sales. That covers the cost recovery and repayment of investors nicely, so the earnings from the later "F2P phase" are not under such huge pressure.

Trion will most probably be the next studio "on the ropes"...

If Trion doesn't try to push Rift's new payment model in china, then the end could be near.   The microtransaction model doesn't work with a western centered audience, and a game needs to have some appeal to eastern audiences if a developer hopes to have some success.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by wildscore12
    Originally posted by mbrodie

what funcom is cash grabby as all hell.. i mean in AoC they lock out half the races and classes or something crazy unless you sub or cash shop purchase them.

I have three maxed toons in AoC I bought ROTGS at release guess what I can't even t get into Khatia and do daily grinds without purchasing a pass.  Really?  I paid for the expansion but they want me to pay again to access it?  That's not a cash grab? 

mbrodie, the model was revamped more than a year ago, there's no other restriction on the base game now besides the 10gold limit and the less inventory.

wildscore's correct, Godslayer is sub only even if you bought it before. I don't mind it personally since I always disliked (nicely put :) ) the faction grind, but I agree it's a pretty dumb restriction.

• blackjoker86blackjoker86 Member Posts: 9
    they said they could go f2p any time they want .... well motherfuckers go f2p and maybe just maybe you cold save your game

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by kashogi

670k pvp instances..if you figure at least 2 or 3 per player minimum that's only 300 thousand or so players out of,what? 11 mill or so.. i think he was right calling it a niche

A PvP instance is not created for a single player - your statement is ridiculous since this is what it assumes.

Also, you need to prove that "at least 2 or 3" number you mentioned here. Otherwise it is just forum rambling and your point has no value.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

TSW is having problems due to lackluster story, ugly models, and just general mediocre game play. I did love the idea of the game, it was how it was done that was not good at all.

Blaming competition is the sign a company has no clue as to what they are doing. Sad really. Kodak said the same thing when they declared bankruptcy. Idiotic reason.

P2P is doomed also. Mediocre games wanting people to sub is also doomed (ESO is a classic example). If people think ESO is pointing to more sub games, they are mistaken.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by botrytis

TSW is having problems due to lackluster story

You gotta be kidding.  Of the problems that TSW has, lackluster story is not one of them. 

• EkoazarakEkoazarak Member Posts: 10
    I gotta agree with most here... "competitive pressure" is NOT the reason Funcom games fail... poor design decisions, inability to develop to a high degree of quality are the most obvious reasons their games just dont stick to players. Every Funcom game seems to release with glaring problems.