Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Box Price Sub Fee

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by botrytis

The problem is this not an MMO really - it is a Solo game with PvP added. You don't ever have to group and I prefer Skyrim. There are so many glass walls in this game - it is supposed to be about exploring - well you can't really. 

You like the game, I get it, I am disappointed in it. The point about D3 was it is just as dynamic as ESO is - NOT. If you can't see that, there is no reason to discuss anything. ESO is a game on rails - nothing more - WoW with Skrim graphics and bad combat mechanics.

It's perfectly fine not to like the game, we all have different tastes.  But how is it not an MMO?  Is there a persistent online server?  Check.  Can a large number of different players log into that server at the same time?  Check.  Yep, it has both Ms and the O.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Reham34

Common sense is hard to find sometimes.  

The ones who complain usually also have the entitlement mentality.  You see they deserve they are entitled to play games for free it has nothing to do with quality or quantity of playing time , it has nothing to do with the updated the cost to keep content flowing and the game servers up.

To them it's all about how they see their existence in the world and how they are being treated unfair because they don't get it for free.  It's very hard to have a discussion with these people they grew up with this mentality and are a burden on society in real life and a burden on the mmorpg community.  

You nailed it.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by goboygo
    Originally posted by Reham34

Common sense is hard to find sometimes.  

The ones who complain usually also have the entitlement mentality.  You see they deserve they are entitled to play games for free it has nothing to do with quality or quantity of playing time , it has nothing to do with the updated the cost to keep content flowing and the game servers up.

To them it's all about how they see their existence in the world and how they are being treated unfair because they don't get it for free.  It's very hard to have a discussion with these people they grew up with this mentality and are a burden on society in real life and a burden on the mmorpg community.  

You nailed it.

I would pay a $60 month subscription to be as far away from these people as possible.

• NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125

I can't wait until this game has been playing for a month or so and all the 'sub complainers' are either paying the sub or moved onto another game to complain about. With "FREE" beta, too many complainers around, once it goes 'pay' to play, I am looking forward to the silent as the complainers will be gone.

I don't think McDonalds burgers are worth the price but I still buy  them, I just know I could get better value for money, but I don't complain about it while standing in McDonalds with all the other who are HAPPY to pay.

If they don't like the price and sub, fine, don't pay for it and don't buy it.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Natjur

I can't wait until this game has been playing for a month or so and all the 'sub complainers' are either paying the sub or moved onto another game to complain about. With "FREE" beta, too many complainers around, once it goes 'pay' to play, I am looking forward to the silent as the complainers will be gone.

I don't think McDonalds burgers are worth the price but I still buy  them, I just know I could get better value for money, but I don't complain about it while standing in McDonalds with all the other who are HAPPY to pay.

I don't buy this,  What we have here is already 300+ hours of content just on launch, deep immersive content.   We have a real chance here to have a HIGH QUALITY game that gets content UPDATES every 4-6 weeks because the devs wont have to work on a cash store to fill and constantly trying to find ways to get more money out of us.  

Free to play has killed every single chance for NONSTOP  content updates in past games.   Let us ONCE AND FOR ALL give up this free to play mindset and reward  subscribers with the AMOUNT OF CONTENT that they deserve without FREE 2 PLAY leeches who take that away from HARD WORKING subscribers!

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103

Originally posted by Knotwood

Originally posted by botrytis I have played the other ES games and this one isn't even in the same ballpark. The others could be difficult and trying but that is what made them interesting. This one is NOT HARD, the combat is awful - period. What is new in this game besides the ES world - absolutely nothing new. I don't want to play an MMO (with a box and sub) that is also coming out for consoles. The games are generally dumbed down for the controllers and this one is definitely dumbed down to the extreme. I can see B2P with what they are offering not Box and sub. There is no repeatability in this game at all. This game is about as Dynamic as Diablo 3. During beta I tried the different races and professions and they are all the basic same. Nothing specific for you profession or race. Sorry this game is static.
    Not in the same ballpark,  Skyrim and ESO look practically identical, have voice overs,  have same kind of quests but ESO ones are way more in depth.     As far as difficulty, did you know that they purposely made levels under 10 easy for you?   And that the patch notes say they are going to lower the level at which the game starts getting HARD to level 5.   You dont want a game that comes out for consoles also,  did you know Consoles are going to be on Separate servers then Computer Gamers....    That allows them to do more on the Computer PC servers then console games, console games will never hold back PC server.    Just look at the fact PC gamers get ADD ON's right now.   Who knows, maybe someday we'll get MOD's.   Next you say you can only see this game as B2P.  Well then, What game do you see better then this game that would justify a sub if you see THIS game as a B2P only with what they are offering?   NAME JUST ONE!   Diablo 3 isn't even in the same BALLPARK AS this GAME TYPE.   HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY SAY, ESO ISNT IN THE SAME BALL PARK AS SKYRIM AND PAST ES GAMES,  BUT D3 IS????  
    While I haven't played the beta myself due to the black screen glitch but wasn't there a solo level 8 mage guild quest that people were having trouble with killing a monster called Gutsripper? I heard they had to nerf it with a few other bosses actually.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1zm4ya/and_sothe_nerfing_began_gutsripper/

• Stiles223Stiles223 Member UncommonPosts: 35

I think a box price of 30-40 would be more reasonable.

Sub price is fair. Just a standard sub price. I prefer subs rather than piecemeal "F2P" games that usually end up costing more than a sub if you want to experience almost everything.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

I just bought South Park: The Stick of Truth, and although I'm having a wonderful time, it made me realize what I was getting for my $60 compared to ESO and other mmorpgs. Any of you upset about paying $60 for ESO, and then having to pay a sub fee, should compare any new release of a single player game, and then you may think twice about complaining.

I have read that you can complete the main quest in South Park in about 9 hours. The side quests and the main quest in about 30 hours. You have 4 classes you could play through for a total of about 120 hours, but I don't usually replay content of this nature again even if it is with another class.

IMHO, mmorpgs are better for the price, you get more content and re-playability, and the price should never be used as a debate issue in these forums.

Why are you comparing the pricing of 2 shitty games? o.O 

And you forget that games like Titanfall, Assassin's Creed series, Mass Effect series, Elder Scrolls series and countless other AAA titles are all worth 60$? Did you know that Skyrim alone is 200+ hours to finish all the sidequests and main storyline WITHOUT the DLCs? Do you know how much the amount of mods available to Skyrim increase that gametime? What TESO is offering is not close to that by a longshot. 

I'm not even comparing it to other MMOs. You seem delusional...

Did you forget there is Guild Wars 2, RIFT, Tera, SWTOR, The Secret World? How is TESO any better than WoW to justify that price? o.O Does it have more game hours and more replayablity? I sincerely doubt that. If you don't value your money, the sane people like me do

Oh and...I'd never buy a southpark game, even if it was free. IMO its humour for mentally challenged people. But then again that's just my opinion, and I don't mean you by saying its a humour for mentally challenged people, but it is a food for thought.

Why am I comparing these games? Well for one, I'm in the ESO forum, and two, I'm playing South Park as I stated. I didn't read the rest, because if it made as much sense as you first sentence, I would be wasting my time.

Yeah you TESO fans tend to ignore facts and get all delusional :) But I don't blame you for it, the hype train is strong, but I've seen stronger ... those games are F2P now. You just need to calm down :) 

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Natjur

Are you implying that there are no crybabies in World of Warcraft? Because there are... sorry to break it for ya

• Originally posted by botrytis

No game is worth a sub - period. I pay 60 USD a month for ALL of my cable TV channels - why would I pay 1/4 of that price for one channel? It is ludicrous in these times to have a sub when there are games out there w/o them. AND this game also has a CS - talk about a cash grab - one or the other not both.

People talk that the price should NOT in the discussion and I disagree vehemently. The price is actually 60 box + (15 x 12) = 240 a year for a game. You need to think about this in your decisions about games

I do not have the entitlement mentality either as I have done sub games in the past but find them full of 'entitled' jokers just because they pay a sub for the game.

Well, then go watch TV...

• Originally posted by Knotwood

LETS LOOK AT THAT BUDGET

I did a thing not long ago on Minimum Wage, lets say you make $7.25 an hour (average national mimum wage).

That would be:

$15,080 per a year, $1256 a month,  $290 a week. 

Taxes would be $892.50 + 15% for ($8,925-$36,250) = $3,893

Highest State Tax rate is Alaska at 6.6%.  =  $995.28

So  after taxes you would get.

$10,191.72 per a year, $849.31 a month, $195.99 a week

Rent should be less then $400 a month or you need to get a room mate fast.

Food should cost no more then Aprox. $250 a month, if its more then that, you need a diet.

Cable/Internet aprox $100, if its more then that, kill your TV and watch Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Whats left after that?   Entertainment.  Unless you have maxed credit cards, addictions such as cigerates, alcohol, drugs, then you will have NO money left for Entertainment, and should not be playing MMO's unless you take care of those addictions or debt,  but who listens to their voice of truth.

$750.00 monthly for single peoples cost of living.  That leaves $100 for clothes and entertainment.

$15 per a month, will leave you at around $85 a month spending money for clothes ect.,  I suggest putting that $85 a month extra into savings for a rainey day, not a lot of wiggle room, but its possible indeed!

Proof $15 dollars a month isn't going to break you.   Not having a room mate and having shopping, citarette, alcohol, drug addictions will break you really fast, with only $100 spending money a month.   So you have to choose, do you want to blow your money on other crap that you think is more fun then a HIGH QUALITY game,  or play for free on a LOW QUALITY GAME,  or just say to hell with it and blow your money at the BAR with your friends instead.   

I personally think you should spend it on ESO, and get rid of your bar buddies, and drug friends first, then pay off credit cards slowly, and get a room mate.   Then you'll feel rich for once,   maybe even rich enough to pay a $15 sub every month for a HIGH QUALITY, exciting and fun game that ESO is.

Great post and all but you forgot a few things. If they have a car payment(depends if they own a car or not) and more importantly, gas. All in all, 15$ a month should not break anyone, if it does, then you have bigger problems and don't need to arguing about an MMO on a forum.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

yeah and then you watch at the corner the GW2, almost 2 years ago released with the same quality and in some aspects better quality ... so the argument of 'HIGH QUALITY' is crap sorry ...

and yes the single play games you wait for them to drop the prices, you dont win anything to play it 4 months earlier ...

demanding a sub for an MMO which is not even a sandbox its really bad ... and its a point of argument cause with these 15 euros per month i can get a new game 5 months or one year old, every month ...

also the worst aspect of the sub, is that if you dont pay the sub you are not able to have access to your character to the game and this offers only anxiety . oh yes and someone to reply to your emails into 2 hours and not into 1-2 days ...

btw in Greece the average salary per month is around 300 euros for young people in 'part time' jobs (which often become normal 8hour job..), cause there is nothing else, i hear in other places on eastern and south europe is similar or worse, and i think the same is in the US, so please break off the glass world you live and look outside to the real world..

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I just bought South Park: The Stick of Truth, and although I'm having a wonderful time, it made me realize what I was getting for my $60 compared to ESO and other mmorpgs. Any of you upset about paying $60 for ESO, and then having to pay a sub fee, should compare any new release of a single player game, and then you may think twice about complaining.

I have read that you can complete the main quest in South Park in about 9 hours. The side quests and the main quest in about 30 hours. You have 4 classes you could play through for a total of about 120 hours, but I don't usually replay content of this nature again even if it is with another class.

IMHO, mmorpgs are better for the price, you get more content and re-playability, and the price should never be used as a debate issue in these forums.

Elder scrolls £10 estimation 40 hours 

Daggerfall £30 270 hours

Morrowind £30 650 hours (just patched in the new graphics and enhancements) still playing

Oblivion £70 including expansions 450 hours  modded to hell and back still playing

Skyrim £90 including expansions 840 hour modded to hell and back still playing

Fallout 3 £70 450 hours including expansions + modded like hell still playing

Fallout new vegas £70 510 hours + modded to hell still playing.

Klingon academy £30 400 hours modded

Bridge commander £30 610 hours modded

l4d £30 410 hours

l4d2 £30 607 hours

Your argument is flawed.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by calranthe

I just bought South Park: The Stick of Truth, and although I'm having a wonderful time, it made me realize what I was getting for my $60 compared to ESO and other mmorpgs. Any of you upset about paying $60 for ESO, and then having to pay a sub fee, should compare any new release of a single player game, and then you may think twice about complaining. I have read that you can complete the main quest in South Park in about 9 hours. The side quests and the main quest in about 30 hours. You have 4 classes you could play through for a total of about 120 hours, but I don't usually replay content of this nature again even if it is with another class. IMHO, mmorpgs are better for the price, you get more content and re-playability, and the price should never be used as a debate issue in these forums.

Elder scrolls £10 estimation 40 hours 

Daggerfall £30 270 hours

Morrowind £30 650 hours (just patched in the new graphics and enhancements) still playing

Oblivion £70 including expansions 450 hours  modded to hell and back still playing

Skyrim £90 including expansions 840 hour modded to hell and back still playing

Fallout 3 £70 450 hours including expansions + modded like hell still playing

Fallout new vegas £70 510 hours + modded to hell still playing.

Klingon academy £30 400 hours modded

Bridge commander £30 610 hours modded

l4d £30 410 hours

l4d2 £30 607 hours

Your argument is flawed.

Your playing pattern is ... unusual.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

That's all that matters regardless of the game type.... All the other responses can be put in the trash.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I don't buy single player games anymore.

except when it comes to great rpg games like skyrim ect.

don't like paying a sub. but like ive said if the game you are subbing is the best ill pay.

ESO is the best. at the moment.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Betaguy

That's all that matters regardless of the game type.... All the other responses can be put in the trash.

Very true!

Also on a side note, the hours on South Park completion being 9 hours is pretty remarkable. I'm about that far in and only scratched the surface really. The game may have more to it than I first thought!  It is very harsh and disgusting but the gameplay is fun! They could have done the same thing with the Family Guy or Simpsons, but South Park fits pretty awesome!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FaustusIVFaustusIV Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

I did not know there were PCs or MMORPGS at 1920. Okey ... But if you want to compare what eso does better than 2000 mmorpgs, I tell you what: graphics, animations, peformance, voice overs, comabat, quests. If its not enought for you, that is your oppinion and your problem, there are other mmmorpgs out there for ya. For me it is enought, I will buy the game and pay the sub :))

And yes I do not have respect to anyone here on mmorpg.com, even less for those who needs anyone to justify subs to them. Sorry.

1. I didn't know pizza could be compared to MMO variety.

2. AC2 had the best graphics of its time. LoTRo had it for its time. Same with AoC. Notice a pattern here? Graphics mean nothing.

3. Did you really say animations? REALLY?!? to say you were trolling with that would be insulting to trolls who at least try to hide it. But then again, I still see people in the TSW forums talk about how its animations are fine.

4. Performance? So, this game that is in beta performs better than, say...wow? which performs perfectly? Hmm, could place that one with #2

5. Voice Overs, yep, great feature. SWTOR proved how great that is..

6. yep, the combat is so bad you couldn't even spell it right.

7. quests. that are not unique in any way. They so feared questing the lied and told us there would be any kill this amount of x quests, which we all saw on starter island.

Your list is the very reason why there is not one single article on any gaming site about any innovation in the game. And no, I did not need you to tell me you don't have to respect anyone, its plainly seen in how you dismiss others opinions and cant actually refute anything with such ridiculous lists, lists that don't actually point out depth of gameplay, just eye/ear candy.

Might I also add JJ82 that LOTRO is one of the top games bringing in cash in the MMORPG industry also.   Another game after LOTRO hasn't had as realisc graphics since then also.   Graphics do matter, and they do bring a higher level of immersion.  

Why is it easier for a FIrst Person Shooter player whos played call of duty able to understand this but an MMORPG player such as yourself cannot?

Oh nonsense.

Whilst graphics can add to the level of immersion, they do not "matter" in the literal sense. If that was true I would not still be playing SWG for example as it's graphics look very dated and I certainly would not still enjoy playing Jet Set Willy on my Spectrum emulator.

Graphics are a nice bonus if they look great but they do not make or break any game and they never have.

And to say that no other MMORPG has graphics as good as LOTRO is so subjective it's not even worth picking up on. It's just another opinion presented as fact.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by botrytis

No game is worth a sub - period. I pay 60 USD a month for ALL of my cable TV channels - why would I pay 1/4 of that price for one channel? It is ludicrous in these times to have a sub when there are games out there w/o them. AND this game also has a CS - talk about a cash grab - one or the other not both.

People talk that the price should NOT in the discussion and I disagree vehemently. The price is actually 60 box + (15 x 12) = 240 a year for a game. You need to think about this in your decisions about games

I do not have the entitlement mentality either as I have done sub games in the past but find them full of 'entitled' jokers just because they pay a sub for the game.

You mean like Netflix or HBO?

You pay for quality content.  You pay $60 for a billion TV channels because 95% of them are shit and you never watch them.  This is basically what F2P games consist of... shit.

It's a dumb analogy anyway, because it ultimately comes down to how many hours of entertainment any given venue gives you per dollar.  If you play an MMO for 10+ hours a week, $15 a month isn't shit.  If you watch TV for 1 hour a month and pay $60 for it, you're pissing away your money... I don't give a shit how many awful channels they include.

Originally posted by Draemos

This is basically what F2P games consist of... shit.

That may be a fair statement about games designed for F2P, but sub games that later add a free option typically continue to offer the same AAA experience to those who maintain their subscriptions.

The Force shall free me.

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by dadown

With all the quality MMOs available as f2p, I just can't see that its worth paying $15 a month for ESO (or the box price either). I realize they have development costs to pay for, but why not go the GW2 model (which I bought). My main game is Lotro and I have bought the expansions, but I don't pay a monthly sub (I did go VIP for 1 month to get premium status).

I'm expecting ESO to follow the path of SWTOR and go f2p within a year. Until then I have about half a dozen f2p games that I enjoy and only spend money on when I'm ready to advance to some new feature. Over a years time, I might spend a total of $60.

PS. For those of you comparing a sub to going to a movie or eating out, I haven't been to a movie in over a year and only occasionally eat out when there is a great Groupon deal. I'm retired and frugal with my money.

You are clearly not their target audience.... they target people with actual money to spend. No offense. 

You coming here and saying this is like another guy coming here saying there should be a 30$/month sub.... you both have the right to say it but its clearly not their business plan and they are going for the people that don`t mind paying 1 meal`s worth of money for 1 month`s worth of entertainment.

• JHenryJHenry Member Posts: 188

Could you play with other people? I think that is the price people pay for an MMO.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

• MaltisseMaltisse Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Why don't f2p and b2p fans just stick to there specific game threads, why try and convince us sub cats that your way is better? I love paying a sub for full content I dislike cash shops so I pay subs and I am happy. I think this has to do with the overall quality of f2p minded gamers and their personal entitlement issues. If you don't like subs good for you, shut your hole and stick to f2p. Although I do understand since you do not have meaningfull content in your f2p you must grief our forums. 
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

This is basically what F2P games consist of... shit.

That may be a fair statement about games designed for F2P, but sub games that later add a free option typically continue to offer the same AAA experience to those who maintain their subscriptions.

Their content development falls off a cliff after they lose their initial surge of F2P players. They tend to get out 1 or 2 nice content expansions/patches after the F2P switch and then they're stuck in a nasty cycle of releasing trivial shit/events every few weeks to bring back a handful of players to spend money on some sort of trivial cash shop item.

That's the problem with F2P models, you have to constantly sidetrack real content development to work projects that give you revenue stream.  You're constantly chasing the casual gamer to spend a dollar here or a dollar there, and as a result  you lose your base because your meat and potatoes content suffers.

Their content development falls off a cliff after they lose their initial surge of F2P players. They tend to get out 1 or 2 nice content expansions/patches after the F2P switch and then they're stuck in a nasty cycle of releasing trivial shit/events every few weeks to bring back a handful of players to spend money on some sort of trivial cash shop item.

That's the problem with F2P models, you have to constantly sidetrack real content development to work projects that give you revenue stream.  You're constantly chasing the casual gamer to spend a dollar here or a dollar there, and as a result  you lose your base because your meat and potatoes content suffers.

But if we're being realistic about it, most MMOs have glacial content release schedules even when they are strictly sub based.  WoW isn't exactly fast about churning out new content.  Hell, TOR releases new actual content with a lot more regularity and consistency now than when it was strictly sub based.

The Force shall free me.