Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Rift: Introducing the Liberator - A Raid Healing Warrior

Comments

• tedgptedgp Member Posts: 33
    Those who claim that rifts soul system is the best thing in any mmo, obviously havent played a sandbox mmo.   The soul system in rift is a heavily reduced version of the class systems in sandbox games.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Talemire
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    A new Soul huh? The Soul system should have been a crowning jewel in the MMORPG genre. The ability to create a custom and potentially limitless play style would be an amazing addition to the genre.

THIS!!! This, this, this, and so much more of this!

This? And what about TSW? :)

Don't get me wrong, I love Rift's soul system (the game itself not so much), and theory crafting classes was the only reason I got SL back in the day when I played Rift - not the massive grind it brought :)

But TSW's Ability Wheel is much more limitless, obviously. Which of course won't stop me to check back and try the new souls after the patch...

Bill, "the coolest part we’ve heard so far is that the new souls will allow characters from every Calling (Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Cleric) to perform every role in the game."  actually, I thought SL did that already, with the four SL souls all the callings could do any role.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Brilliant game, easily the best F2P game out there. :)
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by tedgp
    Those who claim that rifts soul system is the best thing in any mmo, obviously havent played a sandbox mmo.   The soul system in rift is a heavily reduced version of the class systems in sandbox games.

Name some.

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Damn it! I knew this would happen. I would sub to FF14 and Trion would release new tid bits about the new souls. I specifically wondered if I should continue to level my warrior or not... now I have my answer. Alas, the struggle... my Scholar or a warrior from a different dimension an realm all together./

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    What is the point of even having a feature in the game called classes then? Should these games just have races, and then skill trees that players can choose to distribute points into that shape the character they play? Drop the class tags all together and leave them at the door, opening all items to all races in the games and allow players to choose what fits the character. Raid healing warrior...why not just call it a raid healing heavy armored player? My opinion is that this would be a better system, and Trion is taking steps in the right direction.
  • jtravisjtravis Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Holyfleadip

Stupid, a plated healer in a tin can protected by cloth-bag mage tank. 

"Please protect me", he said to the guy in the dress.

I do like their model of FTP, I like how they made their cash shop with REX I can buy from in game players, but this is stupid.

Stupid to you, maybe. Simple solution: don't play one. Advanced solution (not for beginners): don't gripe at or mock folks who do play one.

• jtravisjtravis Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Skuz
    Originally posted by tedgp

Name some.

The Secret World. Only one I have any direct experience with, but there may be others. Still, I like, and play, both games.

• UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    A welcome addition indeed.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    A new Soul huh? The Soul system should have been a crowning jewel in the MMORPG genre. The ability to create a custom and potentially limitless play style would be an amazing addition to the genre.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rift's soul system (the game itself not so much), and theory crafting classes was the only reason I got SL back in the day when I played Rift - not the massive grind it brought :)

But TSW's Ability Wheel is much more limitless, obviously. Which of course won't stop me to check back and try the new souls after the patch...

Bill, "the coolest part we’ve heard so far is that the new souls will allow characters from every Calling (Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Cleric) to perform every role in the game."  actually, I thought SL did that already, with the four SL souls all the callings could do any role.

The point wasn't about what other games are able to accomplish. This is about what Rift was supposed to do and didn't.

Now they want to add more souls. Well, I won't say its a bad idea, but I'd rather see them fix the system they have. They should make it work as advertised before they pile new garbage on top of old and we end up with 4 more cookie cutter specs.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by LIOKI
    What is the point of even having a feature in the game called classes then? Should these games just have races, and then skill trees that players can choose to distribute points into that shape the character they play? Drop the class tags all together and leave them at the door, opening all items to all races in the games and allow players to choose what fits the character. Raid healing warrior...why not just call it a raid healing heavy armored player? My opinion is that this would be a better system, and Trion is taking steps in the right direction.

Souls may allow a class to fill specific roles, but often use unique mechanics to do so.

A Chloromancer and a Purifier may both be healers, but they are very different play styles.

An added benefit is, after the raid is over the Chloromancer switches over to an elementalist while soloing. the Purifier may decide to go solo as a shaman. Very different paths.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

rift is great I wish I played it when it came out,the game graffix is a bit old for me but a great mmo.

please make a new mmo like rift.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Rift is a great game, but I refuse to go back until they change engines... The one that they use now is one of the worst I've ever played. Gamebryo absolutely blows on open world RPGs.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Rift is a great game, but I refuse to go back until they change engines... The one that they use now is one of the worst I've ever played. Gamebryo absolutely blows on open world RPGs.

Even if people buy alot more lockboxes i doubt that they would ever change the engine. It's probably safe to say that they neither have the manpower nor the knowledge to.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

God this just kills me.  This community RIPPED on Rift so friggin hard for MONTHS after its release.  But then it goes F2P and has a good F2P model, and all of sudden 80% of the comments are about how great the game is and blah blah blah.

I guess its easy to overlook all those "terrible/plastic uninspired graphics" and "themepark wow clone" and "horrible lore/story", etc etc etc, when its "free".

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I do like their model of FTP, I like how they made their cash shop with REX I can buy from in game players, but this is stupid.

Yeh, almost as stupid as fantasy races, monsters and being able to cast magic. When you argue about REAL WORLD physics in a fantasy game you've got issues.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    this liberator soul sounds like a WoW pally
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Vannor

Yeh, almost as stupid as fantasy races, monsters and being able to cast magic. When you argue about REAL WORLD physics in a fantasy game you've got issues.

No you don't

Fantasy worlds still need to be internally consistent.  You can't play the "its fantasy so anything goes" card.

Its the same reason people got fed up with Blizzard constantly revising their lore after they added something they thought was cool, that then contradicted previous lore.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Training_DummyTraining_Dummy Member Posts: 12
    Ley lines?  So in addition to having to associate with fantasy nerds (dragons, mages), now we also will be connected with New Age wackos.
  • Ultima2Ultima2 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by blix2006
    wow great update from trion.if all the content is going to be free in it they easily shoot to number 1 f2p too me.which they were pretty much there already

The new souls will not be free.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Ultima2
    Originally posted by blix2006
    wow great update from trion.if all the content is going to be free in it they easily shoot to number 1 f2p too me.which they were pretty much there already

The new souls will not be free.

Either way, they do have the #1 f2p system.

It just backs what is, in my opinion (and obviously many others), a bland and lackluster game.  

But for the people that like Rift (and it certainly has its fans) the f2p system is fantastic.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Po_gg

No, mages can't tank. They can have a pet tank but it just isn't the same thing. There is a small but very vocal minority that want mage tanks. (I am not one of them -- I think it's a total waste. I only know one person who was excited about it and I don't think this would bring him back into the game).

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Looks kinda cool

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58

"...characters from every Calling (Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Cleric) to perform every role in the game."

And with this, I am completely glad that I stopped playing.  Mage tank?  Good grief.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by popezaphod

"...characters from every Calling (Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Cleric) to perform every role in the game."

And with this, I am completely glad that I stopped playing.  Mage tank?  Good grief.

What would be wrong with a mage tank?  Why shouldnt a mage be able to use magic to create defensive barriers to allow it to tank?