Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Themepark needs to close.

Comments

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by DarkVergil
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

So, since *you* don't like a certain style of MMO, they should NOT exist for those that DO like them?

Wow... The entitlement is strong in this one.

I'm pretty sure there are many others who share my opinion.

Don't bring the "You" argument into this.

There are also many that enjoy the themepark mmo's

Personally I enjoy both sandbox and themepark and even mmo's that have a combination of both.

The market dictates the many styles of mmo's that exist. not you.

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Magiknight

So, since *you* don't like a certain style of MMO, they should NOT exist for those that DO like them?

There is virtually only ONE style of MMO that exists anymore. Anyone who likes that style has over a dozen MMOs to chose from. If you don't like that style, your choices become very limited. A WoW style MMO is fine, as long as there are more choices.

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

it took me 15 seconds to make this list of games that are not like wow.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Covet78

There is virtually only ONE style of MMO that exists anymore. Anyone who likes that style has over a dozen MMOs to chose from. If you don't like that style, your choices become very limited. A WoW style MMO is fine, as long as there are more choices.

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

How many of those are heavily instanced? How many have insta travel? How many have races that are only different aesthetically? How many are "solo friendly"? How many have no or a virtually non existent death penalty?

I'll give you eve. I don't know anything about EQNL but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: Also, a lot of those are sandboxes. I don't really get into those.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I think the main problem is that if you say sandbox, developers automatically think of open world full loot pvp.  These rulesets just don't work with today's community.  They just don't.  I went back to an old old game I used to play in the late 90s.  It used to be almost everyone played on the PvP server, which was open world pvp with full loot.  It seemed pretty empty.  I asked an old friend, and she said that about 99.9999% of all the players left for the PvE server, just because for a short period of time, there was a massive influx of players that just wanted to run around and play the "evil" bandity guy, and steal from everyone.  All the old players got fed up and switched servers, then all the bandity guys left because they had nobody to steal from lol.  This is the downward spiral that happens in open world pvp with full loot these days.  That's why it'll never work again.

So developers just stick to the themepark or sandpark.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

How many of those are heavily instanced? How many have insta travel? How many have races that are only different aesthetically? How many are "solo friendly"? How many have no or a virtually non existent death penalty?

I'll give you eve. I don't know anything about EQNL but I'm not holding my breath.

Your fighting a losing battle here mate. They are different. They aren't all MMOs but they are very different. That said more MMOs could be added to that list.

Originally posted by ozmono

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

Your fighting a losing battle here mate. They are different. They aren't all MMOs but they are very different. That said more MMOs could be added to that list.

Well I'm looking for a MMO....

Originally posted by Robokapp

I had a quest to kill 10 rats in EVE once...

get it? :)

Xenoblade is a single player RPG that gets quests more right for MMOs than modern themeparks do.

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

If you insist. The majority were already MMOs even if not MMORPGs but I can add more. I'll keep to MMORPGs instead of MMOs

Uncharted Waters Online

Wurm Online

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Age of Wushu

That's not trying very hard either. It's a losing battle.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

LOL! Who is fighting the losing battle?

/me looks at the list

Um...which on of those games should I pay attention to again? You can take EQ Landmark off the list. It does not even meet you requirements....it might beat them...but know one knows yet.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

If you insist. The majority were already MMOs even if not MMORPGs but I can add more. I'll keep to MMORPGs instead of MMOs

Uncharted Waters Online

Wurm Online

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Age of Wushu

That's not trying very hard either. It's a losing battle.

Not doing cash shops either.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

Why don't you just find a game you like and stick to it, instead of complaining about other games not being what you are looking for? 

If you have helpful criticism, that is fine. Saying themeparks are bad or killing the genre is just plain selfish, as this is your opinion and has no grounds for gainful discussion.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Mardukk

If there were any options other than themepark, old school and  Darkfall I would agree with you.  But there aren't any options, currently, for people that like MMO's with risk vs reward and consequences for your actions.

There appear to be some in development but that doesn't do much good for people that don't like linear quest hub themeparks. 

Edit:  Forgot about EVE.  If it had mildly acceptable combat I wouldn't have forgotten it.

You also  forgot Age of Wushu .

Originally posted by Tygranir

Why don't you just find a game you like and stick to it, instead of complaining about other games not being what you are looking for? 

If you have helpful criticism, that is fine. Saying themeparks are bad or killing the genre is just plain selfish, as this is your opinion and has no grounds for gainful discussion.

I wish!

Helpful Criticism: Get rid of cash shops, insta travel, instances, hybrid classes. Make races matter, not just aesthetically. Slow down PVE combat and make it harder. Harsh death penalty. World dungeons and monsters. Make end game less of a focus.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

/me looks at the list

Um...which on of those games should I pay attention to again? You can take EQ Landmark off the list. It does not even meet you requirements....it might beat them...but know one knows yet.

Not you. I'm not going to keep listing games with a more and more narrow criteria either.

As for your original list the only two that I would say aren't MMOs is World of tanks and planes. Some argue LoL is though so you could argue against it. There are more that aren't MMORPGs however but that's not we are talking about and I think I've gotten myself involved in something I didn't want to. So I'll leave it alone.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I wish!

Helpful Criticism: Get rid of cash shops, insta travel, instances, hybrid classes. Make races matter, not just aesthetically. Slow down PVE combat and make it harder. Harsh death penalty. World dungeons and monsters. Make end game less of a focus.

So.... why aren't you playing Rust or Wurm?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

I wish!

So.... why aren't you playing Rust or Wurm?

Are those sandboxes?

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

/me looks at the list

Not you. I'm not going to keep listing games with a more and more narrow criteria either.

As for your original list the only two that I would say aren't MMOs is World of tanks and planes. Some argue LoL is though so you could argue against it. There are more that aren't MMORPGs however but that's not we are talking about and I think I've gotten myself involved in something I didn't want to. So I'll leave it alone.

Ummm...not my list.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

If you ask me the sandbox needs to be sealed off, the fox has visited one too many times.

The dream about sandbox is a castle in the sky, few actually want it, and even less can agree what it is about.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Mardukk

If there were any options other than themepark, old school and  Darkfall I would agree with you.  But there aren't any options, currently, for people that like MMO's with risk vs reward and consequences for your actions.

There appear to be some in development but that doesn't do much good for people that don't like linear quest hub themeparks. 

Edit:  Forgot about EVE.  If it had mildly acceptable combat I wouldn't have forgotten it.

You also  forgot Age of Wushu .

No...we didnt

Planetside

Eve-online

Perpetuum

World of tanks/planes

Everquest next landmark

Vindictus

/me looks at the list

Ummm...not my list.

Sorry confused you with one of the earlier posters.

EQL shouldn't be taken off the list. There is no NDA and plenty of people are playing it. There are videos and information on it. It is incomplete but it already beats the crap out of minecraft and it is a MMO. The only two that I would take off the list are world of planes and tanks. I would add more to the list as I did in one of my previous posts. I'm not going to try and suggest which game would be best for you or the other guy. That's up to you. That said out of the games that were listed, my list and the poster I mistook you for, it's almost impossible to claim they are all the one type of game.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Yep, same story as always. People complain about lack of variety on MMO market but it is just flat out false.

Just because you cannot find something fitting your taste, does not mean there isn't variety.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

Themeparks exist like they do in RL...people enjoy them, and they're best enjoyed with more friends and family.

That's how/why WoW is successful -- you don't play WoW by yourself, you play with others you know. You stay playing WoW because those you know play it. 

Other MMOs don't stress playing together as much, which in turn doesn't keep players in the game playing.

Huh?  One of the primary reasons, if not *the* primary reason that WoW reached millions when previous games had been lucky to get a couple hundred thousand was because it was the first MMO that *didn't* require you to constantly be grouped with other people.  Most of the content in the vanilla game, and all of it's expansions, can be soloed.  Just because there are some people in WoW who like to group doesn't mean the design of the game itself encourages grouping more than the design of other games does.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Lissyl

The problem isn't theme parks, it's conservative quest creation.  Unfortunately, the two have become synonymous.  The patterns used in generic quest creation leave quests existing only as a means of propelling you forward, not existing as interesting content in and of themselves.  It can be argued that the 'typical themepark priority system' (read: rush to endgame) is the problem and I'd be more inclined to agree, but again...that's not something that is the fault of it being a themepark, its the fault of players having been trained to follow the fastest, most efficient quest/xp route.

So while themeparks do have these problems, they're not endemic to themeparks by default.

you're right.. if presented in an interesting way even boring tasks can become fun.

problem is it is very hard to make it replayable that's why class based games tend to become all about endgame because after you've done it once it's hard to do it again when it's exactly the same thing.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

For those who want something different, Kickstarter is your friend. 

There are quite a few games to be released soon that began using Kickstarter.

Stay away from the publishing houses.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Another turd topic .. well done :)