Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] South Park Stick of Truth: Becoming the Cool Kid

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There have been a solid handful of terrible South Park games over the years. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined that we would see a game that not only does the IP justice, but a game that is genuinely fun from a mechanical point of view. This hilariously twisted quest begins with your character as the new kid in town – your mission is simple: make friends and become cool. Just like anything South Park related, things quickly escalate to proportions that essentially threaten all life on earth and your small 4th grade character is at the center of it all. With South Park: The Stick of Truth, Obsidian has created what is not only the best South Park game ever made, but a game that is an incredibly well-made and engaging RPG in its own right. 

Read more of David Jagneaux's South Park Stick of Truth: Becoming the Cool Kid.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    looks fun, may have to check it out.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    So happy to see its good. Gonna have to pull the trigger on pre order now.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Looking forward to the review of the new Madden NFL later this year.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I'm happy to see positive reviews on that note can't wait to get my CE.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    tis gonna be fun.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Kyleran

Heh, Yeah, my 1st thought was "MMORPG?"

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234

I'm glad this is having good reviews overall. Obsidian deserves it. It seems the game has some issues, I hope they correct it with a patch in a couple of weeks. 

I think I'll buy the game, because I love rpg's, I want to support the devs and I even like Southpark - as with Family Guy, it's the kind of show that you have to consume it in small doses... :)

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

:) - MMO + RPG

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    If the game plays 1/10th the way it looks, it will still be great.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

They have people playing it on twitch.tv.   I was bored in 5 minutes or less. 

I love Twitch.   It allows me to decide if a game is for me before I spend money.

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341
    No one is forcing you to read a review on this site. Why would you bother wasting your time reading the review and then complaining about the review to begin with? Some of us actually enjoy other genres of games. There is no reason they cannot branch out while still keeping their main focus on MMORPGS.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I remember back when I used to watch South Park as a young teenager. Ah, the memories of being a kid - Kind of nostalgic. :)

Looks like a fun game if you're a SP-fan. Good on them.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Make whatever excuses this site is stepping off the just "mmo" route fairly constantly now.  I expect to see a Madden review soon too, its more massive then SP :P

MMORPG is expanding its coverage of straight RPGs. Please read Bill's MMO + RPG article for the full explanation and roadmap for the site's future.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    They really need to change the name of mmorpg.com if they're doing more other things, or at the very least have a section that is mmorpg only these days.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by BillMurphy

How is it an MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online game?.

Man, mmorpg have turned into a massive sell out.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by GameByNight

Make whatever excuses this site is stepping off the just "mmo" route fairly constantly now.  I expect to see a Madden review soon too, its more massive then SP :P

MMORPG is expanding its coverage of straight RPGs. Please read Bill's MMO + RPG article for the full explanation and roadmap for the site's future.

Well to have a site named "MMORPG.com" is starting to become misleading don't you think? First come to mind, when you see the site name you would expect to see games that is an MMO, and involve in role playing. The MMO part is the misleading part, it should be RPG.com, but my guess its been taken.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by MyownGod

Originally posted by GameByNight

Well to have a site named "MMORPG.com" is starting to become misleading don't you think? First come to mind, when you see the site name you would expect to see games that is an MMO, and involve in role playing. The MMO part is the misleading part, it should be RPG.com, but my guess its been taken.

did you read his link?

How long can a site stay up covering WoW, ESO, WildStar and Guild Wars 2? MMO's aren't being made fast enough and they might as well expand to "rpg"s as well.

and yes, RPG.com is taken. Maybe eventually they should or could change the name of the site but I imagine it will have to be a bit of an evolution over time once players are used to the wider variety of role playing games covered.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

10ish hours of content, limited depth, ultra easy gameplay (I guess that would appeal to most modern MMORPG players)...even as a south park fan I say, not worth it.  Waiting for it to go on sale.  It's not a "must have," there are tons of good games around these days, and it's not like it's going to age poorly before it goes on sale.

The game is getting good reviews but value isn't something they usually discuss, and since reviewers get free copies, it's not even something they'd consider.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What is the enamorment with South Park?  All I find in it is a lot of gutter humor if you can even call it that.  Lauding a game based on that does not say much for anyone. It is ok to push boundaries, but you have to be careful how far you push them.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Ozmodan

What is the enamorment with South Park?  All I find in it is a lot of gutter humor if you can even call it that.  Lauding a game based on that does not say much for anyone. It is ok to push boundaries, but you have to be careful how far you push them.

If this was something that was "in your face" and you couldn't avoid it I would whole heartedly agree. But since one has to make a decision to watch an episode or buy the game, I would say "not". In any case, South Park is really a satire and not to be taken at face value.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Think I might pick this one up for the laughs ;)

So when can we expect "World of South Park Online"

Imagine the raids! Taking down Barbra Streisand would be epic!

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Sovrath

If this was something that was "in your face" and you couldn't avoid it I would whole heartedly agree. But since one has to make a decision to watch an episode or buy the game, I would say "not". In any case, South Park is really a satire and not to be taken at face value.

Nothing wrong with satire, just that their delivery method is braindead, kids in a cartoon?  That is just wrong.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Looks like a fun game, but I do have to take issue with one line from the review:

"From the perspective of an avid RPG player, the length is about what I expected for a single player only experience."

He then goes on to say a first playthrough is around twenty hours.  Huh?  An "avid RPG player" thinks 20 hours for a first playthrough of an RPG is normal?  That sounds more like the playthrough time for an adventure game or a shooter.  Single player RPGs are typically at least double that in terms of time investment, sometimes four or five times that.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Nothing wrong with satire, just that their delivery method is braindead, kids in a cartoon?  That is just wrong.

What exactly is wrong about it? Please enlighten us.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Originally posted by BillMurphy

MMORPG - MMO = South Park Stick of Truth

The article was good but the topic doesn't belong here.