Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO needs to explain stuff better ingame!

Comments

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85

If the game contained no tutorials then I would accept the counterpoint that it is difficult by design, and that self-discovery of crafting methods and resource extraction are a part of the games overall intent.

The problem is that the game does contain tutorials and that people are not understanding them (barring those who simply do not choose to read). If these tutorials are not detailed enough to encompass the entire process to a degree that a majority of people can understand, then either they have not validated their presence in the game, or the crafting system is over-engineered.

The complexity and discovery of crafting in the game is supposed to stem from multiple racial designs, numerous enhancements, and special crafting stations. It is not supposed to overwhelm players at its base of introduction.

If you, the person who is reading this could understand crafting from the included tutorials, this whole observation isn't for you. Obviously if you understood it then you are fine. But, the world does not revolve around one player in an MMO and obviously there were quite a number of people in beta that did not understand various aspects of crafting.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Elikal

I found over the 3 beta weekends I participated both myself and a lot of my fellow players remained at odds over a whole lot of things. Many of my frustrations over ESO just came from not knowing how stuff functions or misunderstanding it.

The entire crafting was a mess to me. I never found it you need 10 pieces of any material to forge them into mats without asking in chat. Or another example: would it be so difficult to have a tool typ on runes and glyphs how they work? Like the fact you have to right click a piece of gear to insert a glyph! Sometimes it didn’t even work, and I never understood if it was a bug, or if I did something wrong. Or whether or not you can remove glyphs and if yes how. Or that people can currently NOT go into the same story instance. People like me literally spent HOURS trying to get fellow players into the same story instance, for 2 days I simply thought I was too dumb, until by random chance of a conversation I found it, it was not intended at all. Or how armor works. Like, at all! In other MMos or RPGs – or even Skyrim – I am used to a very different mechanic. Here, after 3 weekends I still barely understand how armor works and most of it I still dont get.

I could make a really LONG list about such issues, but especially since ESO makes a LOT of things so very different, I find the ingame explanations about virtually everything in ESO poor and horrible. Things need a LOT more tooltips. You can tell how big of an issue this is, because you ALWAYS see the same questions over and over.

Why can I not trade? (Because you need to ungroup!)

How can I leave Cyrodiil?

How do I use a repair kit?

Do I get gear decay from PVP death?

How do Synergies work? (Most people I met didn’t even KNOW they exist!)

The list could be prolongued endless. So if anyone here has some contact to ZOS, PLEASE let them know ESO seriously needs WAAAAY better ingame infos! Otherwise a lot of people will ragequit, simply because they don’t understand the game, and that would be really a pity.

I have one simple question.  Did you ever play any Elder Scrolls title?  If you had you would have known the answers to some of your questions/issues.  I am sorry that you get upset at having to figuring things out on your own though.  I personally have always enjoyed the sense of accomplishment when I figure it out on my own. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DaveyCole

If the game contained no tutorials then I would accept the counterpoint that it is difficult by design, and that self-discovery of crafting methods and resource extraction are a part of the games overall intent.

The problem is that the game does contain tutorials and that people are not understanding them (barring those who simply do not choose to read). If these tutorials are not detailed enough to encompass the entire process to a degree that a majority of people can understand, then either they have not validated their presence in the game, or the crafting system is over-engineered.

The complexity and discovery of crafting in the game is supposed to stem from multiple racial designs, numerous enhancements, and special crafting stations. It is not supposed to overwhelm players at its base of introduction.

If you, the person who is reading this could understand crafting from the included tutorials, this whole observation isn't for you. Obviously if you understood it then you are fine. But, the world does not revolve around one player in an MMO and obviously there were quite a number of people in beta that did not understand various aspects of crafting.

That's the hard part about trying to broaden such a discussion outside of the individual. There were thousands playing this game over the weekend as well as during the last test. Elikal is the first I've seen bring such a gripe to the forums, not many in this thread are agreeing it was hard to understand, the only people really agreeing are those talking about what if's like your post, so who's the majority here?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Basic stuff should be explained simply.   If too many people aren't getting it, it behooves the developers to draw attention to it better.  You want to get people enjoying your game.   There's  reasonable medium ranges between elitist complexity, and on-rails one button clicking.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I personally didn't find crafting overwhelming.  I would like to say bad things about anyone who did (or at least bash them on the head a few times) but I can refrain from that.  The only reason why I played this weekend was to educate myself on the crafting system.  So maybe that makes a difference as my intent was to deliberately investigate the system as opposed to experiencing it in passing.

I ran to my first crafting station - clothing - and ran through the GUI.  I saw that I could make cloth and leather armor.  In addition, I could also make Nord and High Elf styles (I had found the high elf style book in the opening, tutorial zones).  I saw that recipes literally comprised of one material... Jute.  I also noticed that adding more jute to a recipe increased an item's level.

I then went off and tend some quests, explored, played with a few weapons I had in addition to gathering every single node I found.  After getting some raw jute, I returned to the crafting stations to attempt some armor.  I played around with the GUI in attempt to figure out how to actually refine the resource.  Once I had found my way, I was prompted because I had too little raw jute to extract.  So off I went in search of more...

I returned later and successfully made a number of pieces of gear.  I replicated that knowledge against a few other crafts successfully... except I did notice alchemy, provisioning and enchanting have slightly different rules.

Alchemy appeared to require experimentation and trial and error in order to learn recipes.  Provisioning appeared to require you to learn recipes from items acquired through drops (experimentation may have been possible but I honestly didn't try).  Enchanting also appears to require some trial and error and memorization as well.

As I mentioned, my intent this weekend was to dabble with crafting.  So maybe I was willing to put a little more time getting acquainted with it's GUI.  Outside of maybe enchanting and alchemy, there isn't much to the system.  I didn't get to play with researching but I did have some failed attempts at improving items. 

All of this knowledge (and I don't think I understand the whole system yet) was acquired simply by playing the game.  I did consult the in-game manual once or twice to clarify some things (such as researching as I didn't understand how that feature worked).

Do players really expect to learn everything there is to know about a game in one weekend? I think that is a bit much.  Everything I ever knew about EverQuest wasn't learned in a couple days, a few weeks, or even a few months.  There were some aspects that I didn't fully understand until at least a year after its release (and that was part of the joy of it, always something new to learn and understand).

Sometimes I see complaints here about ESO or just about any other game, and I instantly scratch my head.  I don't understand what some of ya'll really want or are getting at.  Heck, I ran into a player this weekend who raged in zone chat just because of a bugged quest in a on character that will be inevitably be wiped in a game that hasn't even been released yet.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

one thing I was thrown off by, as someone who never played an ES game, I made my character a Dark Elf, leveled him up some then went to craft, and had no idea what racial stone I needed to by.  I had to ask, hey I am a Dark Elf, what am I.

I still dont know exactly, I know there is Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer, but it would be nice if during creation when you select Dark Elf is said Dark Elf (Dunmer)

I have submitted it in my feedback, not really ground breaking either way, but a simple solution

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I'm used to trial and error. I may not put my hand on the stove to see if it's hot but I have no objection to clicking on things, mousing over or just plain old mashing a button in a game. Particularly in an game where there are no real consequences (okay when I made something accidentally I used up one racial type stone....but so what) and even MORE particularly in a BETA. What can happen? Everything gets wiped in the end. Try stuff! Whats the harm?

For me there was only thing that was not intuitive/logical (which was discussed many times over the weekend at least where I was playing). I figured it out duding the 1st weekend with crafting but it didn't make 'sense' that you have to go to the extract icon to create ingots. Extract from items, sure but you smelt ore. I suppose you might  be able to reach for the concept that you are extracting the essence of the ore into ingots but its a reach.

The only other minor thing which was due to me not paying attention (thus my fault) was making a level 6 (I think) piece of armor and then switching to the next piece along the line. I made the item and then realized that the level reverted to the lowest level of the item so instead of crafting a level 6 legs I ended up crafting a level 1. Lesson learned.

People want easy but sometimes they come to expect it. Think outside the box  and if you have to...explore a bit.

Google it for goodness sake....

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by DaveyCole

.... not many in this thread are agreeing it was hard to understand, the only people really agreeing are those talking about what if's like your post, so who's the majority here?

If you went by the majority here, some old school fantasy sandbox would be tops in the genre, and have 12  million active subscribers....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I learned everything I needed to know about crafting by experiment and asking fellow crafters around me in /say chat.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Basic stuff should be explained simply.   If too many people aren't getting it, it behooves the developers to draw attention to it better.  You want to get people enjoying your game.   There's  reasonable medium ranges between elitist complexity, and on-rails one button clicking.

The systems aren't all that deep or buried under the surface though, that's the thing a lot of people are basically saying. I think a big problem is people not reading the context notes that pop up, skipping through them instead.

This would explain why they feel lost as well as why it doesn't seem to be all that widespread of a complaint (thus far). The rest either read them or figured the stuff out as they played. Hence why they could answer those questions in chat. We see this type of thing in every MMO, rarely have I seen topics here about it though. IF anything I see more topics demeaning these types of players.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

Considering all the negative input you post about ESO, I'm surprised you even care what Zenimax does or doesn't do for launch...

I think those questions are asked players that hate to read because this past weekend was my first and I had little trouble understanding the gameplay. 

Agreed, it's clear he doesn't like it, yet he keeps on making posts about it, strange indeed

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by MikeB

Most of this is, in fact, explained in game. :)

I don't think the trading was working properly this weekend, so I'm fairly sure you don't need to ungroup to trade.

Cyrodiil's tutorial explains the wayshrine to exit, use of repair kits (even has you actually USE a repair kit on a siege weapon), and a bunch more. I don't recall on gear decay, but it may have been explained. If not, it would be pretty easy to figure out through play.

If you press F1 in game there is a whole section full of tutorials and information on most aspects of the game.

Now, you see, that's the problem. It is indeed all explained in game. But people these days can't be bothered to actually read (or listen to) quest instructions and just space bar/click their way through it then wonder why the **** they don't have a clue!

Particularly with the synergies there's a message on screen saying 'Press X to <synergy name>' every time it is available! People are clueless and refuse to put any effort into learning.

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

next month we will see an explosion of youtube guides... So why spending money on ingame tutorials

Well said! Perfect sum of the Zenimax's work! Why bother with any sane UI? Throw in the possibility to make mods - gamers will make UI for you. Tool-tips? What for? Players love to make guydes, they'll explain everything to everyone right after NDA lifting. And so on and so fort. 

We gave you the title - the rest is up to y our imagination. (just don't forget to pay)

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    The tutorials need one of these.
  • PednickPednick Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Mirandel

next month we will see an explosion of youtube guides... So why spending money on ingame tutorials

Well said! Perfect sum of the Zenimax's work! Why bother with any sane UI? Throw in the possibility to make mods - gamers will make UI for you. Tool-tips? What for? Players love to make guydes, they'll explain everything to everyone right after NDA lifting. And so on and so fort. 

We gave you the title - the rest is up to y our imagination. (just don't forget to pay)

NDA has already been lifted just before this last open beta stress test, I thought everyone knew that already.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I understand you find that not knowing exactly what to do every moment you are playing is frustrating but allot of people like that aspect of a game, discovery.
  • TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Here's my problem with the welcome to cyrodiil quest... For 10 levels I spammed through the dialog of every quest I obtained, I have no interest in pve and just wanted to level to 10 as fast as I could. So then I get into cyrodiil, finally. What's this another quest, no thanks, now show me the pvp.

I actually did the welcome to cyrodiil quest, but I can see why someone would cancel it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Theutus
    Here's my problem with the welcome to cyrodiil quest... For 10 levels I spammed through the dialog of every quest I obtained, I have no interest in pve and just wanted to level to 10 as fast as I could. So then I get into cyrodiil, finally. What's this another quest, no thanks, now show me the pvp.

I actually did the welcome to cyrodiil quest, but I can see why someone would cancel it.

There is nothing wrong with cancelling it: the option is there for a reasons.

But cancelling it and not reading tutorial pop-ups AND THEN bitching about things not being explained enough? There is something wrong with that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Its oldfashioned MMO, try and figure out for yourself..

You seriously think that is good advise for a 200-300 million dollar expensive Triple A MMO? To "let people figure out"?

Yes, because that's what a lot of us like to do...  Figure stuff out and learn...

Just like life...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Part of the fun of a new mmorpg is figuring out things. It's a good sign that there are things to figure out in ESO.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Part of the fun of a new mmorpg is figuring out things. It's a good sign that there are things to figure out in ESO.

Yes, fun stuff like "how to leave f'in Cyrodill" or "how to trade with a party member" (cf. OP). Oh this is soooo fun! This really added to my experience and I am thinking about recommending the game for these reasons alone.

Actually, I would go as far as saying I wish I could forget how to do these things so that I can discover how to do them again, and again. Best time of my life I have ever had in an MMO.

(PS: oh I almost forgot about the "/reloadui" command.. How do you unblock your character! Oh the fun of trying many commands before finding the right one!)

WARNING: the above post may contain sarcasm.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    (...)

I could make a really LONG list about such issues, but especially since ESO makes a LOT of things so very different, I find the ingame explanations about virtually everything in ESO poor and horrible. Things need a LOT more tooltips. You can tell how big of an issue this is, because you ALWAYS see the same questions over and over.

(...)
    Yea, I wish ESO had done some testing with this. This seems like a fairly easy thing to address if only someone and the chance to look at the game before release and tell them about it.

Oh. Right. It's still in BETA! Well, great then. OP, you did tell them about this in your feedback, right? Right? Like the ESO forums? Right?

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I don't think the trading was working properly this weekend, so I'm fairly sure you don't need to ungroup to trade.

Cyrodiil's tutorial explains the wayshrine to exit, use of repair kits (even has you actually USE a repair kit on a siege weapon), and a bunch more. I don't recall on gear decay, but it may have been explained. If not, it would be pretty easy to figure out through play.

If you press F1 in game there is a whole section full of tutorials and information on most aspects of the game.

Pwned !

In other words TRY READING and not skipping stuff for once...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Pwned !

In other words TRY READING and not skipping stuff for once...

He stopped just sort of saying "Stop $@$@% you $@#$@$  and play the %#@$ game!"

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

The way people make it sound here on the forum is that the beta testers don't want you to know with detail tutorials of crafting works because they want to be the first to make all those items and rule the economy in the game right from the start.

They will flame me for this for sure but hey that's how it is understood in what you guys saying right now. Seriously the only thing they want right now is make lots of cash in game because they will need a mount etc.. that are price real high.

Also if you look at other mmo's the only thing some of the players do is play AH or craft while in this game you sell your stuff yourself no AH if i remember correctly, the one's that will need the most the items are specially the new players because it help leveling, some like to buy stuff instead of grinding to help themself level faster, other then that some guild will like to level faster then others to be first max level and who do you think will have it all shortly after release? The one's that don't know how crafting works and will farm endless hours or the one's that know the ins and out of crafting and where the mats are located or how to get them?

If crafting give xp another reason to not give the info in detail because it will help level faster.

Seriously there should be a tutorial on how it works correctly like that even if the testers already have use the options and know the location of most mats are and how to get them at least the new players could figure it out in due time with some tutorials and still have a good experience in-game, specially the one's that prefer to craft. It will also help the new players get some money to get mounts or other cool stuff a bit more easy.

>>This game already start to sound like it will have a bad community, stop giving a bad name to the so call god of all the mmo game coming out in 2014 like you guys keep saying you have here.<<