Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobs standing in one place.

eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

As you guys must have noticed in the past betas, the mobs just stand around they do not move at all unless you get in with the attack range or you attack them from far away.

is this going to change or we are just going to see them standing around.?

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Seriously nothing?
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

I don't think all the spawns do that. I was in one area last night where ghosts and spiders tended to wander.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 

Ok yea I seen mobs move but that was only ambient creatures. the only time I realistically seen them move is if anyone got into agro range.

I will double check it next beta however to make sure I am mistaken.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    People are really beginning to run out of things to moan about now
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There are enough mobs moving around... And when they turn they see trough your stealth....

but there are not many mobs roaming big distances.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by elitero

Ok yea I seen mobs move but that was only ambient creatures. the only time I realistically seen them move is if anyone got into agro range.

I will double check it next beta however to make sure I am mistaken.

Now that you say it, I also remember this...

They did not roam at all

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

I think the only game coming out where creatures roam the entire map is EQNext. Don't think any other titles do. The mobs may move but they follow a set path every time.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    Originally posted by Krimzin

I think the only game coming out where creatures roam the entire map is EQNext. Don't think any other titles do. The mobs may move but they follow a set path every time.

I do not think that is the case, there are plenty of other games where all the mobs move, maybe not town folk or NPCs that we talk to but mobs move in almost all the games.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I do not think that is the case, there are plenty of other games where all the mobs move, maybe not town folk or NPCs that we talk to but mobs move in almost all the games.

They move, but they don't migrate.  They'll pace back and forth over a set path without change or variation until they engage in combat with the player.

Ryzom had mobs that would walk around, but not on a path.  Other than EQN, they are the only game I can think of where mobs would migrate around the maps.

Now, just standing there, doing nothing?  That would look weird.  People may not expect naturalistic migratory patterns, but they expect some movement.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    There were mobs standing around, patrolling, walking around and hiding. Not all if them were standing for me.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

So I been watching some videos to see if it was a thing, you guys can search soem videos  but here is one at the right time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aIQHTjosloI#t=5128

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Some of the mobs definitely patrolled in ESO. A lot of them were 100% static which just drives me nuts.

EQN will change the genre when it releases and maybe we'll see more games go the path of dynamic mob spawns. Then again maybe they will crap the bed and the game will be so awful nobody will dare try to do that again in the near future~. I hope it is the first one.

Yea the more videos I see, the more I notice, however this might jsut be because of the old beta client.

If any closed beta folks can chime in here and let me know if the new client on PTS has the same thing?

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

Isn't it more realistic when some mobs move and others don't?

Why do you want every mob to move back and forth?

I guess guards need to stand still, a wolf or a boar is different.

I haven't seen any real roaming mobs in any game except for Ryzom.

Originally posted by Dilweed

Yea and thats fine, but if you look at the video I posted, its actual mobs in an area where its not guards, you will see that some are just standing there facing each other or facing away from each other and about 200 meters or so you will see one mob standing rinse and repeat.

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Dilweed

Yea and thats fine, but if you look at the video I posted, its actual mobs in an area where its not guards, you will see that some are just standing there facing each other or facing away from each other and about 200 meters or so you will see one mob standing rinse and repeat.

Meh, your video is 2,5 hours long, can't be bothered, sorry.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

We must have been playing a different game. There are many mobs that move around...some a lot (imps and undead in the AD area near some ruins, patrols with torches in the Covenant cap, etc.)

You're reaching here.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

We must have been playing a different game. There are many mobs that move around...some a lot (imps and undead in the AD area near some ruins, patrols with torches in the Covenant cap, etc.)

You're reaching here.

can you post a video because the imps were stationary.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Number 1, we saw an old build, but regardless, this isn't Skyrim and the NPCs won't move around quite like a single player game. Regardless, I felt this world from an NPC standing around perspective felt just as much or more alive then many competing MMOs. When I played SWTOR, Rift, etc, I felt exactly what you wrote here. I DID NOT feel that way with ESO. I feel like they did just enough to make it feel fine for an ESO whether it was the NPCs or the birds flying around. I want even more life, but for now it wasn't even something I noticed. What I noticed was just how beautiful the world was for an MMO, as did my friends. 

There Is Always Hope!

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

OP, your not playing it right

J/K!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

You're reaching here.

Nope... don't feel like it. Everyone can see for themselves.

It's neither more nor less than in other MMOs although I'm sure I can find examples of more and examples of less... but why bother? It's a non-issue.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by Reham34
    Seriously nothing?

Geez so nobody commented on your post for 9 min and you needed to bump your on thread ?  Some mobs are static some move just like every other mmo out today.  I don't remember reading where they said the mobs would be hiding in a tree waiting for you to walk by and ambush you, then run across the world to a new spot.  

This actually happened to me in Daggerfall, a blood cult baddie suddenly (poof of red/black smoke) appeared from behind a wagon and charged me. Haven't been able to tell if it was an active quest I was on or not. Surprised me though, being in town.

MOB pattern variation could always be better - though I think ESO is a decent mix. Considering the wolves for example, I have seen wandering wolves, wolves resting two in a pack with one laying down and the other "watching" surroundings. I have seen them over a corpse feeding. I know it is still just a path. Suppose my perspective and suspension of belief is that when I come upon a baddie my character is in that "moment". Meaning a bad guy was not necessarily leaning against that wall 10 minutes ago or yesterday.

I would have liked to see some kind of crazy elaborate fuzzy logic in ESO. Say an area of undead is based on a time-to-live and number of concentration if 5 undead exist in an area they do normal path things. If the amount of undead increases to 8-12 and nobody comes along to thin them out in X minutes they begin to merge together and then start seeking out PC populated areas.

I don't know when we will see a true fantasy world simulation - the kind I used to imagine when I thought about Faerun as an online place. A place where night time could truly be terrifying for a lone adventurer. You see bits and pieces of great ideas but never complete and in one game. We should have the technology to do some incredible stuff, so I don't know if it's a technical limitation or vision.

You're reaching here.

Nope... don't feel like it. Everyone can see for themselves.

It's neither more nor less than in other MMOs although I'm sure I can find examples of more and examples of less... but why bother? It's a non-issue.

Sure that's fine. thanks for your input.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

*runs around a rock in Cyrodiil*

*Level 50 Troll is patrolling from behind*   (I don't play first person anymore lol)

*stops to pick up some ore*

*Troll bashes skull in*

Mobs move, I think, I might just be remembering wrong, that Troll hit me pretty hard over the head lol.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

Not sure where you where, but a lot of mobs walk around from what I saw.  They don't roam for miles but many do move.  It was said before but the ghosts and skeletons I saw after the first island did a lot of walking, unless they were guarding stairs, paths, or the entry of a bridge.  Please stop spreading half truths.  If you don't like the game cool, but don't lie about it.