Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think ESO will eventually give in to the F2P or B2P model?

Comments

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by bigbudz

I don't need it to go to FTP to be able to play it. I'm not poor or cheap. Every FTP game that I have tried has went out the window as I cannot stand microtrans. It makes me feel like the pub is holding me in the corner demanding more and more money for access. If you like playing a game, then why would some of you be so against supporting the game? 15 bucks a month these days is really a small number. Equivalent to the price of a movie ticket or a meal in exchange for several hours of enjoyment. Sad thing is most of you prolly don't blink an eye when you have to pay 9.95 to unlock a race in a ftp.

I like the game as it stands and will pay my sub fee. If it goes ftp, I'll just remove my account and play something that doesn't have a microtrans paywall.

Then you've played all the wrong games, nothing more to add to that. Also that you are a bit delusional here and overreacting. 

• PednickPednick Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by bigbudz
    I like the game as it stands and will pay my sub fee. If it goes ftp, I'll just remove my account and play something that doesn't have a microtrans paywall.

Then just do that d00d, no one cares if you cancel your account. You seem more concerned to prejudge people on this so called monetary status than the game itself, that's just anal-retentive.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Robokapp

warhammer didn't...

it depends if the game's good or not. good games work under any payment model. bad games don't work under any payment model. 

Umm then i guess other than WOW we never had a single good game? is that what you are trying to say here?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Kattycake

Just gonna keep this short;

A lot of people, so I've seen/heard from, believe that ESO will turn into what SWTOR once did. TERA switched, The Secret World switched, Rift...etc.

Do you think dishing $15/mo will be a bit much to some players? I mean even ArcheAge in RU Beta is $9/mo for premium.

if it is a good game: no.

if it is a good game: sub+ fluff shop

if it is a bad game: yes.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

A lot of people, so I've seen/heard from, believe that ESO will turn into what SWTOR once did. TERA switched, The Secret World switched, Rift...etc.

Do you think dishing $15/mo will be a bit much to some players? I mean even ArcheAge in RU Beta is $9/mo for premium.

Yes I do believe it will, cant say if it will be quickly or take years just yet. It will come down to total sales, player retention and corporate expectations.

The main reason I believe it will is the corporate factor. We have no idea just how much the parent company is expecting, I am sure it is high since they allowed the use of the IP, but how high we have no idea.

The game could sell 4 million copies making it one of the top selling MMOs of all time but if the corporation was expecting 6 million, they can force a F2P switch. Same with if the corporation expects 2 million subscriptions, but it drops below because many leave the game.

In essence that does make it like SWTOR. It sold over 2 million copies which places in near the top of the MMO sales chain, debatably kept around half of those players yet went F2P because EA required more.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    Originally posted by Gravarg

There's no way to tell.  That's up to Zenimax...I hope it never does.  I liked Rift, played it until it went F2P.  Then I dropped it like a bad habit.  I will never play a F2P, nickel and dime MMO.  If it comes to a point where there are no F2P MMOs, then I guess my long relationship with MMOs is over.

To all the entitlement babies, I'm glad it's P2P.  It keeps people like you out of the game.  If you can't afford $0.50 a day, you shouldn't be playing games, you should go get another job.

Im with you on that man.  People who complain about paying a sub seriously need to get their heads out of their asses and get a damn job.  F2P games are TERRIBLE in almost every aspect.  Quality, quantity, you get a bunch of washed up bitter kiddies bitching about everything.  

Stay as a Sub and Ill play you as long as Im having fun(which in ESO's case is LOT).  I know 1 big thing alot of ppl who are complaining about the game, they have inadaquate time playing the game to truly get a good impression of it.  This game blossoms the more you play it... It truly is something special.

• TondagonTondagon Member Posts: 19

People really need to realize that the F2P model is not designed for western MMO's and their players. It was originally designed for the eastern market which has a completely different business model and players with a generally much higher predilection for, and tolerance of in game gambling.

The adoption of it in the west has led to a glut of poorly implemented and unsustainable business models, leading to a saturation of the market with games that people have no vested interest in, nor commitment to. Both of which are necessary for a MMO to retain a viable population level within the game, allowing for continued development and profit.

In addition the F2P model has created an entitlement mindset among many MMO players. "Why should I pay for game A, when game B is allowing me to play for "free". Not taking into consideration that game A has a far higher production value and includes everything which is available within the game. While game B is designed so that you will only see it's limitations after you pass through several content pay gates.

The F2P model has also fostered the notion in some game companies that it is acceptable to take multiple dips into players wallets with subscriptions, cash shops, etc. This is completely unacceptable, and people need to let game companies know it.

Thankfully, the F2P model is beginning to self destruct as more and more players see it for what it is, and vote with their wallets for better business models.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Tondagon

People really need to realize that the F2P model is not designed for western MMO's and their players. It was originally designed for the eastern market which has a completely different business model and players with a generally much higher predilection for, and tolerance of in game gambling.

The adoption of it in the west has led to a glut of poorly implemented and unsustainable business models, leading to a saturation of the market with games that people have no vested interest in, nor commitment to. Both of which are necessary for a MMO to retain a viable population level within the game, allowing for continued development and profit.

In addition the F2P model has created an entitlement mindset among many MMO players. "Why should I pay for game A, when game B is allowing me to play for "free". Not taking into consideration that game A has a far higher production value and includes everything which is available within the game. While game B is designed so that you will only see it's limitations after you pass through several content pay gates.

The F2P model has also fostered the notion in some game companies that it is acceptable to take multiple dips into players wallets with subscriptions, cash shops, etc. This is completely unacceptable, and people need to let game companies know it.

Thankfully, the F2P model is beginning to self destruct as more and more players see it for what it is, and vote with their wallets for better business models.

Another personal opinion being masqueraded as fact i see.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

We don't have F2P in the west. We have freemium games and they are doing fine.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Watch and see what happens in the next few years.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,256
    F2P
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Yes, please tell me how Gw2 was designed for the chinese market from the get go :) Or Neverwinter in that regard. 

Also do tell me how TESO has higher production value than Gw2 or SWTOR or Tera? Are they using a better graphics engine? No, they licensed a crappy one, and it will show. Are their animations life-like? Have you ever heard the joke about the carrot and the butthole? :) What about armor design and armor variety? How exactly TESO has a higher production value than games like Rift, Tera, SWTOR, TSW? Sure ... they sunk some millions of dollars for voice overs of AA actors, but in the ends whats the point in all this if players are mostly just going to skip through conversations? Does the game have any notable special effects? Cinematic effects? 

You need to stop boohoo the old phrase that if its free it must suck, because that's a bunch of balooney. I mean sure, games like Scarlet Blade do suck, I agree ... but then again, we have DFUW, which is pretty bad and it has subscription game. How does it have any more production value of the games I listed above? Last I heard it flopped hard. How's that Warhammer Online doing? Oh right ... the game died. What about Tabula Rasa? Oh right ... the game imploded. 

Do you see the trend here? A single subscription fee is not a sign of quality nor it is a sign of value. It's a simple and proficient cash grab from the folks like you. 

Enjoy it! :) 

Looks like another self appointed seer who can see in future. I am sure everyone is gonna believe some random guy on internet because he said so. image

13 posts which just praise ESO sky high in ever post...seems legit!!

Looks like another self appointed seer who can see in future. I am sure everyone is gonna believe some random guy on internet because he said so. image

I didn't say to believe me, I said to keep you own eyes open and watch what happens. Or not, your choice.

Your damn right I praise this game, I like what I have seen, and have enjoyed playing it. I know this is not a popular  opinion  to wanna be hipsters such as yourself, but it is what it is.

I didn't say to believe me, I said to keep you own eyes open and watch what happens. Or not, your choice.

So you cant not even back up your claim rather than 'just watch and see'. Here is a little suggestion. if you want to engage in discussion try to atleast make an informed post with some tangible information.

If you are here just to update status then FB is what you need or maybe a twitter.

Oh and anyone who doesn't agree with your 'i know the future' posts is a hipster..i see. image

So you cant not even back up your claim rather than 'just watch and see'. Here is a little suggestion. if you want to engage in discussion try to atleast make an informed post with some tangible information.

If you are here just to update status then FB is what you need or maybe a twitter.

Oh and anyone who doesn't agree with your 'i know the future' posts is a hipster..i see. image

Here is a little suggestion for you, try and actually talk about the issues at hand instead of resorting immediately to personal and ad hominem attacks. At least keep it interesting.

Here is a little suggestion for you, try and actually talk about the issues at hand instead of resorting immediately to personal and ad hominem attacks. At least keep it interesting.

Asking you to not pull stuff out of thin air is personal attacks? truth is you got nothing to back up your claims other than old and rusted 'it will happen because i said so' excuse. And for someone who called me a hipster please dont even try to play the poor victim card.

You could have easily shut me up with an intelligent response explaining why F2P games are self destructing...but you can not. And honestly i am not surprised.

New accounts likes yours always appear fast close to release of new game and then disappear equally fast once the job is done. Not my first rodeo here.

Asking you to not pull stuff out of thin air is personal attacks? truth is you got nothing to back up your claims other than old and rusted 'it will happen because i said so' excuse. And for someone who called me a hipster please dont even try to play the poor victim card.

You could have easily shut me up with an intelligent response explaining why F2P games are self destructing...but you can not. And honestly i am not surprised.

I honestly can't be bothered, it is clear that you are just looking for an argument, and I don't feel inclined to give you the pleasure. So yay! you win, go you.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I think any MMO releasing with a sub model these days is doing so with the full intention of cashing in on launch day box sales and high sub numbers for the first few months with full plans on going F2P when the subs start to drop like they always do around a year.  ESO and Wildstar both will go F2P not because of them "failing" but by design.

I honestly can't be bothered, it is clear that you are just looking for an argument, and I don't feel inclined to give you the pleasure. So yay! you win, go you.

Yeah sure. By the way if you just want to post something random and feel special then FB is that way. There nobody would even ask you to explain your point.

This is a discussion board so ofcourse i expect people to not just make claims but also back it up with some information and provide links etc to atleast give some idea of what you are trying to say.

Passing off personal opinions as facts isn't what gets you a good discussion but then again that is not why you are here..to have discussions.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by Robokapp

warhammer didn't...

it depends if the game's good or not. good games work under any payment model. bad games don't work under any payment model. 

Warhammer was not an IP that they owned. similar to SWG. They both had to be closed down at a certain point, because they cost extra money for licenses.

Zeni owns Elder Scrolls IP.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84
    Certainly hope it doesn't go FTP or BTP .  If it avoids those two models I'll gladly  pay them for 3-5 years easy. Otherwise...bye bye :(
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

It wouldn't surprise me if they do.

Companies have learned to be flexible over the last few years.

My guess would be B2P if they ever switch.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Yeah sure. By the way if you just want to post something random and feel special then FB is that way. There nobody would even ask you to explain your point.

This is a discussion board so ofcourse i expect people to not just make claims but also back it up with some information and provide links etc to atleast give some idea of what you are trying to say.

Passing off personal opinions as facts isn't what gets you a good discussion but then again that is not why you are here..to have discussions.

Actually I was, unfortunately I did not realize that I would be giving a dissertation and require references and source material. I will in the future preface everything with "IMHO" to prevent such confusion.

By the way let me tell you "IMHO" of course, that I don't give a flying monkey what you want, need, or desire. I do not have to justify anything to you, you pompous, arrogant, little self appointed guardian of nothing. Your posts are abrasive, toxic, and solely designed to boost your ego at the expense of all.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

Serious what is wrong with you why are you whine about sub price and ask if ESO should go F2P if you think $15/month is about same price as WoW and you dont see whine about and Wildstar is go to P2P as well do see people whine about and beside a F2P mmorpg cost you more per month and P2P mmorpg do. Do i think ESO is go to F2P i hope not for honest every game that have been P2P that have turn in to F2P have become worst in every aspect of that game poorly custom support, months between patchs, no fix on bugs "just look at SWTOR the still have bugs from there release" and you end up spend more money just get some what playable.

The would be stupid to turn ESO into F2P beside i dont think fans of ES series would be happy to see ESO turn in to F2P.