Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think ESO will eventually give in to the F2P or B2P model?

14567810»

Comments

• GamerDan79GamerDan79 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    Definitely will.  Just like Wildstar they will bank on the initial box sales and high sub counts knowing they will switch to F2P when sub counts drop.  Business plan.

But ZOS devs have always maintained they would never do this to their loyal fans?

I am super excited for this game (despite the recent nerfs to just about all progression outside main story line PvE questing) but if this turns into another cash shop driven game I will drop it like a hot potatoe.

Subs only please, as the devs have always promised :)

• VoreDockVoreDock Member UncommonPosts: 128
    yes  so will wildstar 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The question isn't "If it goes F2P" but "When it goes F2P".

• ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by Gdemami

The question isn't "If it goes F2P" but "When it goes F2P".

It really does seem like the hint of f2p is there, it also seems different, but from reading the other thread on loot drops being better than crafted thread and what zeni is doing to crafting... If this streamlining continues I would have no doubt.

The thing to look for is that stagnate market standardization and balance changes that make everything equal and easy. That's the whistle blow for me, the lack of depth etc.

I do like ESO and love how Zeni seem to be listening. However, it seems like the players who're market trained and QQing might be greater than the ones who want change.

idk, I still have hope, ten years of nothing innovative is killing me...

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

It will most likely go F2P, good game or not, it will eventually unless they have a  mindset of "P2P or we will shut down."

So yea depends really, but I believe F2P more so than that mindset.

Would I sub to ESO if I felt like 15 a month for one video game is worth it? Yes I actually would but don't feel that way about any game to date so, yep. From beta impressions especially on the PVP side it's fun though so I don't expect it to go F2P soon.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Of course theyre going to abandon the sub model, as soon as they milk the fans out of the most money they can.

Its also more apparent that less than 3 weeks from pre release they have yet to offer extended sub models. Right now its a month to month sub and the full 15 (14.99) a month.

I was really expecting them to have some sort of 'founders' pricing like 9.99 a month for a year or even 99.99 for a year for pre order guys. But not yet at least. That would 'buy' them 12 months of subs at least. But the fact they arent offering any extended subs whatsoever yet shows they either have some integrity (and wont sell extended plans knowing they wont be offering subs very long) or they havent figured out a way to spin it yet once they do move from sub to free to play/hybrid.

But really there are so many questions and negatives associated wit this game right now it is unreal. On a lot of levels and sides. So many people cant address them all and they all blend together when people critique or defend the game.

But anyone with a brain knew the answer to this questions weeks ago when they announced the pre order 'bonuses' and differences.

Irony is the defenders of the game and sub model defenders will 'better' the game for people who wait and get it for nothing. Only question then will be how many people are left playing and if it is even worth playing anyway.

• GamerDan79GamerDan79 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by rodarin

Of course theyre going to abandon the sub model, as soon as they milk the fans out of the most money they can.

Its also more apparent that less than 3 weeks from pre release they have yet to offer extended sub models. Right now its a month to month sub and the full 15 (14.99) a month.

I was really expecting them to have some sort of 'founders' pricing like 9.99 a month for a year or even 99.99 for a year for pre order guys. But not yet at least. That would 'buy' them 12 months of subs at least. But the fact they arent offering any extended subs whatsoever yet shows they either have some integrity (and wont sell extended plans knowing they wont be offering subs very long) or they havent figured out a way to spin it yet once they do move from sub to free to play/hybrid.

But really there are so many questions and negatives associated wit this game right now it is unreal. On a lot of levels and sides. So many people cant address them all and they all blend together when people critique or defend the game.

But anyone with a brain knew the answer to this questions weeks ago when they announced the pre order 'bonuses' and differences.

Irony is the defenders of the game and sub model defenders will 'better' the game for people who wait and get it for nothing. Only question then will be how many people are left playing and if it is even worth playing anyway.

I don't see how they can...

They have made such a huge deal the whole time about how they would never follow the nickel n dime route and that this game would always be a sub based game providing real value to it's customers.

How can they implement a cheap ass gouging / milking philosophy after banging that drum for so long?

Talk about credability suicide...

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by GamerDan79

But ZOS devs have always maintained they would never do this to their loyal fans?

I am super excited for this game (despite the recent nerfs to just about all progression outside main story line PvE questing) but if this turns into another cash shop driven game I will drop it like a hot potatoe.

They have made such a huge deal the whole time about how they would never follow the nickel n dime route and that this game would always be a sub based game providing real value to it's customers. 

How can they implement a cheap ass gouging / milking philosophy after banging that drum for so long? 

Because dev teams change over time.  If six months down the road, or two years down the road, you have basically an entirely different group of people in charge of the game, they probably aren't going to care about promises made by people who don't even work there anymore.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

If there are enough players who feel they are getting 15$ worth of entertainment every month, then the game will remain subscription based. The moment the revenue generated every month doesn't cover costs, then something will likely change.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Because dev teams change over time.  If six months down the road, or two years down the road, you have basically an entirely different group of people in charge of the game, they probably aren't going to care about promises made by people who don't even work there anymore.

Agree with a caveat - the ES brand is important to Zenimax so if they do change they would have to tread carefully.

As you say though pre-launch statements count for nothing if the game doesn't hit whatever minimum targets Zenimax have.

Possible options? increase the subscription price. Make the content drops "smaller in scope" - the first few are presumably in the works so no impact initially. Reduce the time between drops - 8 weeks say rather than"6-8 weeks". Paid expansion in 12 months. Beyond that ... drop the sub on the XBox1 saying that they are going down the Live route .... could/would cause ripples though .....

Key point though - as you say - promises made are ephemeral. 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    Definitely will.  Just like Wildstar they will bank on the initial box sales and high sub counts knowing they will switch to F2P when sub counts drop.  Business plan.

The real question is that is the game being financed by the devs themselves like it is the case with SE and FFXIV? if yes they can afford to keep it P2P if not then, nope not gonna happen.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742
    There is already a cash shop with account services that will change into a show pony shop. The revenue that generates will become a deciding factor in keeping the game P2P. So as long as people buy fancy dresses, saddles etc it will put it a long way off.