Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Underwater Swimming Or Combat? Ya...Definitely Not Buying This

seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266

I gave the beta a try this weekend and let me tell you: I actually found that they did a lot of things right in this game. Props to the devs for all the work they put in. I'm especially impressed how successful they've been in their implementation of mass pvp.  I would go into more detail of all the little things I found that were well designed in this game except I found that they took out one often ignored feature that  made me decide that this is NOT a world that I want to settle in: the inability to dive underwater.

I'm sorry but this is gamebreaking for me. Do I spend a lot of time underwater in games? No. Do I care much for underwater combat? No.  Do I think you should be able to hold your breath alot and swim underwater forever? No (I actually like how it works in Skyrim and Oblivion). But it's just something you "do" in virtual worlds. It's a little interaction with the world that has existed for a long time now and I see no reason to take it out (especially when your gameworld has so much water). It's just as important to me as jumping or emotes; I don't spend much time doing either of those things but take it out and the gameworld just doesn't feel "right". There's so many kinds of adventures and exploration that a player can never have now because they chose to not allow underwater swimming in any form; very disappointing.

Now before this devolves into an argument about whether or not they intend to keep diving out of the game, I just want to point out that there have been numerous forums posts about this and there has been no indication that they intend to change this. On the contrary they actually use your inability to dive and fight underwater as a wall mechanic to zones i.e. you get eaten by slaughterfish that you can't fight back against if you try to swim too far out to sea. I'm assuming for all intents and purposes that this design decision is here to stay, and I cannot abide it.

Comments

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Honestly this is the lamest thing I have ever read...
  • Heavy-armor-warriorHeavy-armor-warrior Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by orionblack

Second that.

I never enjoyed water combat in MMO's, and i really dont think that it would work in TESO, a game with real time combat.

Even skyrim does not have underwater combat.....

It sounds like you just want to be mad at this game.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    OP If water combat is what sells a game for you try GuildWars 2 . 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

I think you were looking for an excuse not to play but that's your choice. I've never seen it as a big a part of the ES games I've played so I could care less.  Oh well, to each there own.  Have fun playin something else.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    so do you do this with every mmo? I mean, has there ever been an mmo you played without this feature and that's your bag? or is it just this game?

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43

Seems like you are implying that GW2 is a much better game, and everyone should play GW2 instead of ESO.

Not going to happen.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by orionblack

It really, really is.  Pretty funny though.

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by thunderC

I already said I don't care about underwater combat. But inability to swim underwater completely is just silly to me. It's like not allowing me to jump. I don't care for  GW2 either for other reasons. I actually find much bigger flaws in that game than this one.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Originally posted by seacow1g
    I gave the beta a try this weekend and let me tell you: I actually found that they did a lot of things right in this game. Props to the devs for all the work they put in. I'm especially impressed how successful they've been in their implementation of mass pvp.  I would go into more detail of all the little things I found that were well designed in this game except I found that they took out one often ignored feature that  made me decide that this is NOT a world that I want to settle in: the inability to dive underwater. I'm sorry but this is gamebreaking for me. Do I spend a lot of time underwater in games? No. Do I care much for underwater combat? No.  Do I think you should be able to hold your breath alot and swim underwater forever? No (I actually like how it works in Skyrim and Oblivion). But it's just something you "do" in virtual worlds. It's a little interaction with the world that has existed for a long time now and I see no reason to take it out (especially when your gameworld has so much water). It's just as important to me as jumping or emotes; I don't spend much time doing either of those things but take it out and the gameworld just doesn't feel "right". There's so many kinds of adventures and exploration that a player can never have now because they chose to not allow underwater swimming in any form; very disappointing. Now before this devolves into an argument about whether or not they intend to keep diving out of the game, I just want to point out that there have been numerous forums posts about this and there has been no indication that they intend to change this. On the contrary they actually use your inability to dive and fight underwater as a wall mechanic to zones i.e. you get eaten by slaughterfish that you can't fight back against if you try to swim too far out to sea. I'm assuming for all intents and purposes that this design decision is here to stay, and I cannot abide it.

Dude, go play GW2 then..... that is such a lame excuse.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Heavy-armor-warriorHeavy-armor-warrior Member Posts: 222

I already said I don't care about underwater combat. But inability to swim underwater completely is just silly to me. It's like not allowing me to jump. I don't care for  GW2 either for other reasons. I actually find much bigger flaws in that game than this one.

Your sounding like you want to be mad at this game. If it does not matter to you, why are you complaining? 

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370
    The fact they didnt include a Sharknado is a big deal breaker for me, thats the real fetish lately. Underwater swimming games are very early 2000's.
    Originally posted by Heavy-armor-warrior

Your sounding like you want to be mad at this game. If it does not matter to you, why are you complaining? 

Guess i'm failing to get my point across. It's like jumping or emotes; I may not do it much but choosing to leave it out is still gamebreaking to me. I get very attached to the MMO's that I play for any extended period of time. It's hard to get attached to a gameworld I can't properly swim in, even if most of the time I wouldn't have payed attention to that feature anyway. It's just disappointing cause I did like quite a bit of things about this game.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I'm Argonian, so yes it does bother me.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

What bothers me is that I can see the moon.  It's right there.  But the game won't let me explore it.

But yeah, allowing underwater exploring shouldn't be ignored.

• mayh3mmayh3m Member UncommonPosts: 79

Trolling or not, its the absolute opposite for me. The fact that I have yet to have to deal with underwater combat and quests are a bonus. Underwater ain't my thing. Even GW2 where it was done fairly well, bothered me.

So for me +1 for no Underwater Combat.

Current: BDO
    Looking forward to: Crowfall & Chronicles of Elyria

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

So the only thing you found to make you not play ESO is there is no underwater swimming/combat ?

Pretty freeking awesome game then !

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

A game as old as Everquest had underwater combat and dungeons and you drowned a lot in that game. GW 2 cheapened it with their breather thing so underwater though quite lovely to look at was not as challenging as Everquest where you had to watch your breath or die.

Chamber of Chains
  • netosampaionetosampaio Member UncommonPosts: 23
    always hated wate combat, even on GW2 where it was really well done
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I wouldn't mention underwater swimming even if I'd make a list of 50 concerns.
  • AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by cheyane

A game as old as Everquest had underwater combat and dungeons and you drowned a lot in that game. GW 2 cheapened it with their breather thing so underwater though quite lovely to look at was not as challenging as Everquest where you had to watch your breath or die.

I think nostalgia is getting the better of you.   There were spells and items one could cast/make for underwater breathing in EQ 1 and 2.  I don't recall drowning a lot whatsoever.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

What bothers me is that I can see the moon.  It's right there.  But the game won't let me explore it.

But yeah, allowing underwater exploring shouldn't be ignored.

Bahahaha

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85
    It appears I am in the minority group of players whom agree that withholding waterborne activities will effectively amputate the potential of this game. If the primary concern is that players will lack the ability to think in a three dimensional space, it only goes further to categorize the type of player this game is willing to attract. Warning signs abound...
    Originally posted by DaveyCole
    It appears I am in the minority group of players whom agree that withholding waterborne activities will effectively amputate the potential of this game. If the primary concern is that players will lack the ability to think in a three dimensional space, it only goes further to categorize the type of player this game is willing to attract. Warning signs abound...

Thank God someone understands...

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by DaveyCole

Reminds me a bit on SWTOR, a lot just "overlooked". It's unfortunate.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I despise underwater combat especially in GW 2 where you have to do it to complete some hearts.  I am sure that it could be added to ESO at a later time though.  I am surprised you cant swim under water though to farm clam or ores like most games, but its far from game breaking to me.  I am still on the fence with ESO as the price is a big turnoff to me.  I like the game, but $60 + sub is a bit much.  If they lowered it to $30 or $40 then it would be much more tempting to me.