Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: Evaluating the Living Story

Comments

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Honestly what is so living, and there is very little story. Maybe I am to fixated on the dark mysterious lore of GW1 but this so called story was half baked, and that's me being kind. :)

One day there will be an expansion, problem is though that I will no longer be interested since all it will be is more spiderweb plot lines and flat uninteresting characters.

• ShocksidShocksid Member Posts: 3
    haha i love reading mmorpg forums :d all that haters omg this game bad if i dont like it u guys should not play this game too bla bla :D this game has much more player base than any other mmorpg game except WoW
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

All people wanted was a new zone, more skills to unlock, and more weapon options.  Poor little Arena Net can't afford it though, yet they'll brag obliviously about their accolades. This is their way to support clinically blind "metrics". Lets see how their metrics measure up with other game options opening up in 2014.

Guild Wars 2 is pretty good but I think the success they have can be credited to the scheduling of its release. I think GW2 has also suffered because of the lack of competition. They got away with a lot of BS like this Living Story crap aka "derpa derp, lets get people to log in so they'll use the gem store more, metrics son!"

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

"The same could be said of other long-running (by GW2 standards) content like Zephyr Sanctum and the Tower of Nightmares; after the first couple of weeks, they were practically deserted."

This is my one true hate about this game. Once it is deserted, I have no chance of playing it solo!

If they would just fix it so that as well as scaling up the event to suit the number of players at the event, they also scale it down, so that is is STILL playable by just a few players or better yet soloable!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Look. Living story has been a mess, but it's worse than that. The pace, the temporary content, the funneling of players into focused locations. The linear experience. the "Adventure by Checklist" game play. The multiple reward carrots requiring players to jump through a multitude of hoops in a limited time. Some like like. Some hate it. However, it's clear that it has destroyed the base game. Breathing space between special events is an absolute necessity, so that players can transition back to a sustainable mode of game play out and about in the broader game world.

Living story has taught players that Living Story is THE way to play the game. Forget about community. Forget about the game world. Forget about Dynamic Events. Forget about exploration. Chase the carrot, jump through the hoops, rush to complete a checklist of tasks for your shiny reward, then immediately begin the next carrot chase.

Living Story might as well just be it's own separate game. Why even spend the almost six years building the core game and the incredible, vast game world, if the goal was to just have players playing linear, limited, highly rewarded content that takes people out of the game world?

The temporary nature is a double sin, it encourages a singular focus on vapid, linear content, reinforced with special rewards, but it also means that all that development time went to content that means nothing to the game or it's players once the content has expired. They could have been expanding the world and adding new dynamic content, but instead they've created a skinner's box, with remaining players becoming trained monkeys pushing levers and jumping through hoops for treats.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I'll probably go back GW2 sooner or later, I was just so sick of having to grind fractals, just needed some time away to get the gear grind out of my system, play other mmo and get some perspectives.

I think there is a few things GW2 can improve on,

Temporary Content Updates - I think two week update cycle is probably needed to hardcore players engaged, but it needs to also cater for the casual players, introduce maybe like a dungeon that let players relive the story, catch up, and complete achievements.

Because think about it, you have spent time to create that content, what if a new hardcore player decides to play the game? He will only play the Zhaitan Story, that fractals, WvW and the CURRENT living world content. It won't feel like a game that has released for nearly two years, because most of the time has spent on temporary content.

If Anet creates a story dungeon, maybe every month or every two updates, that relives the story, and cut scene, and let players finish the achievement hunting. Temporary content condense into permanent content for future players to play. Existing players can still get the full experience playing the open world content, but newcomers can still catch up.

Story Arc - Continuing from  the previous point, I think Anet should stay with the two week update cycle, but instead of story updates (occasionally festival updates) They should start improving the existing game mechanics as well, expand weapon choices, more diversified skill trees, heck, maybe even a new class. Story Arc shouldn't really spread longer than half year I think. If every story arc is 6 months apart, there should be 10 - 12 updates, 6 living world updates, 3 condense dose of permanent version of living world updates, and the rest should be hotfix/mechanic upgrade.

Expansion - look, I don't like the whole buy boost, and buy skin, buy gem things, it never really tempt me, because I think boost are like cheats, except I have to pay for it. The game has it, but it isn't necessary, and I'll probably never buy those. Maybe living world is spreading the development thin, but I think expansion should be seriously considered, or at least I will consider getting it. Put new class, new zones, new dungeons etc in it. With the recent NCsoft financial report that GW2 isn't much of a cash cow, it seems tho even the CS works, it isn't really all that brilliant.

Hell maybe put the instanced version of the Scarlet Briar storyline into an expansion with maybe a new class, for $15 - $20 I would buy that.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Updates every 2 weeks with a new event each time, how I not play it at all.

You missed a day and you might as well play another game in the meanwhile, it sounds good in theory but it is only for people with tons of free time. Played with many events in several games like this and missing a day often caused me not to play at all.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I think that GW2 needs to put Lions Arch back the way it was and get rid of the limited time content, and sells, rather put everything in the game for sale in the cash shop so a player can buy it any time for real money therefore you make more money.

Then after doing this make all items/cosmetics account bound so they can be traded between characters.

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59

I loved GW1 actually is the first mmo i really played for years, and i was really excited for the sequel, i played gw2 since beta and actually was fun but then they began this living story "hurry to do it or you miss it forever" and i got dissapointed.

Im a completionist and GW1 let me be one they evene ncourage you to do so if wanted AND AT YOUR OWN RHYTM not with a clock in hand tick tok 14 days to do the stuff or miss it forever.

After i needed to gt away 20 days or so of gaming because real life i lost one or 2 of those expansions and i logged in and then discovered missing all those stuff and achivemtns just because "i wasnt there" was sad so i abandoned the game for good.

GW2 supposed to be casual gaming why adding stress achievements and story arcs you can miss if you dont play every 10 days?.

and apart from that they say living story adds life into game but actually is very contradictory since all the rest of the game and maps follow the same cycle over and over same events happens every 5 minutes or so why not add this events too to a super cycle? or let players play those achievements and events at their rhythm like the mission packs in gw1?

Only thing i see is they add this events and the hurry for them because they pack the store with cookie cutter stuff to make money fast and i bet si because ncsoft is hurriyng anet to make money sadly in the ends it backfires i think the sales already went down.

Sad because was my favorite mmo but i will try just keep memeories i have from gw1 and first gw2 year after that is forgotten for me

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Why it was good?

- ArenaNet tried something new.

- Basar of the four winds

Why it was bad?

It lacked in every aspect possible.

- The story was bad from the first day. The announcements suggested 'never seen before' stuff but all we got was boring and repetitive. And after really bad feedback some bits of story have been offered on the web page without connection to the game. Bad.

- Quantity over quality. Not all patches have been bad, but most. Badly announced, badly executed (unneccessary bugs, which have been ironed out within days - more testing would have found them too)

- Shop, shop, shop, shop. The more patches came the more has been clear, it is not about game quality, it is all to feed the shop. Come buy a ticket. No thanks. After this I prefer a subbed game every day. Thank you for this Anet.

- Repetetive repetition. All about shop, yes, but all about always the same "come zerg with us" content achievement. Well, yes some of them have been fun, but is stil has been always the same. But you know know exactly which achievements to be expected, since they are always the same. Its al always the same.

- After all, when I roll a new char some 19 months after release he/she/it can still only do the content my very first char on release day had to too. Eventually the whole LS did nothing to evolve the game. It did not even changed stuff for the new char. If all it hindered the gameplay of low level chars with timed events in low level zones.

As for the article: nothing worth reading, as subjective as my statement. Try again.

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Patches every 2 weeks makes it so they can't work on a truly epic, polished events in my opinion... I didn't really understand what was wrong with a monthly update. The every 2 weeks updates is what made me quit GW2. It's just too much, especially for those who have more going in their lives like work and other responsibilities.

Honestly, GW2 should take a page from the awesome monthly events of Asheron's Call.

lol, there are four living story  teams, each team has four months to develop their content.

enough said.

• jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60

I don't agree with all said, but I know one thing - the writing for Living Story was enough for me to abandon GW2. Writing alone.

Rest of it was nuance for me (well... maybe not pacing - it was irritating as hell!). I'm surprised that I sticked with the game for so long. Blame it on GW1 and old Anet. I really believed in those guys and I love that game. But since I know most of old staff is history I have no illusions - it's not a game for me. Shame - I've invested lot of emotions (and some $) into this crap.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I want old GW1 Nightfall era Anet back. You know the guys that could actually write, design non standard euro trash lands and give a damn. Yeah those guys. Where are those guys because I'm sure they are looking at current Anet and thinking to themselves "yeah we told you so"

Screw GW2 Anet

Screw whitewashed Kryta

Screw those oh so horrible worse than saturday morning cartoon stories and dialogue.

Will the real Guild Wars developers please stand up?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524

I started liking the living story from Dragon Bash. Everything before that can easely be forgotten, for me; but everything that came after was quality content.

Bazar of the 4 winds, Queen's Jubelee, the new TA path, the Kessex Hills ark, and now the attack on Lion's Arch; to name a few.

The Bazar and this last living story chapter have been by far my favourites. Scarlet has been dragging on for way too long; but hopefully today it will end.

I'm really glad they haven't gone for the expansions route (yet); because i would have been bored to hell waiting for that year or two before they released X zones and races just to be forgotten in another two months.

People wants races and zones; but Anet can deliver them with LS too. They could very well introduce the tengus after this LS chapter (doubt they will, but we can still dream!).

Expansions, to me, are just a buch of content that can be cleared in a few months and be forgotten until a new expansion comes out. Living Story delivers high quality mini-expansions every two weeks, and there is no subscription!

• DrawocDrawoc Member UncommonPosts: 51
    GW2 - best MMORPG ever!!
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Gw2 is very strong right now, I highly doubt its going to die anytime soon. With that said I love it. The only time you ever hear complaining about the game is when you come to these fourms lol.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by kurosenshu
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Patches every 2 weeks makes it so they can't work on a truly epic, polished events in my opinion... I didn't really understand what was wrong with a monthly update. The every 2 weeks updates is what made me quit GW2. It's just too much, especially for those who have more going in their lives like work and other responsibilities.

Honestly, GW2 should take a page from the awesome monthly events of Asheron's Call.

lol, there are four living story  teams, each team has four months to develop their content.

enough said.

Well the quality of their living stories does make one assume other things...

Smile

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Rushing players to compete content, in what book of MMO design principles does that make sense?
  • parapleparaple Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by fiontar

The linear experience. the "Adventure by Checklist" game play.

This summarize whole GW2 gameplay for me ... played it, checked Poi and then had nothing to do... and if the game NEEDS 2 week update cycle to keep players occupied then there is something rly wrong and I doubt that you can keep players occupied with boring zerg everything you see events for a long time.

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251

I think the Living Story could deflinitely use improvements.

For one, a longer update cycle could allow them to do bigger and better events, with better rewards.

For another, they could introduce more variety with the events.  I know Scarlet Briar is hellbent on destroying the world or whatever, but does that have to be the only thing (besides personal story, wvw, exploration, dungeons and pvp) for players to do?  There could be a whole other area with something special going on that may or may not be related to the "main event" that doesn't have to be a zergfest (but in all likelihood will be anyway).

I don't know if they need to do an expansion soon, but I do think they have issues in what is otherwise, for me, a pretty fun game.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by APThug
    Gw2 is very strong right now, I highly doubt its going to die anytime soon. With that said I love it. The only time you ever hear complaining about the game is when you come to these fourms lol.

Or GW2 forums...or any other MMO forums....or players in game...or any guild you join with 400 members and only 30 are active anymore...

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Or GW2 forums...or any other MMO forums....or players in game...or any guild you join with 400 members and only 30 are active anymore...

I m no GW2 lover, but there is very little to any complaining in game. Quite the opposite actually. You claimed in another post, that forums are just vocal minority, I think that logic is an example here as well.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524

Our guild has 400 members and only 20 are inactives :D dat generalisation..Forums are known for their warriors always complaining about something; but i've yet to see a proper complain ingame; maybe those who like it prefer to spend time ingame?

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59

Just look at those screenshots... Unorganized mess of particle effects being spammed on a new reskinned world boss that will only be around for a little while. No real progression, story is lackluster imo, and all new content is just pieced together with existing mechanics that lose their excitement after a while since you're always doing the same thing in a different setting and have no epic goal to progress to slowly with your friends.

They kept trying to say having the carrot on a stick was an outdated philosophy but having something epic to work towards solo or with friends and then showing it off is undeniably fun and rewarding.

If their combat and gameplay elements were literally perfect, varied, and more in-depth, then I can start seeing the justification for the living story. But combat gets spammy and boring after a while, especially with big world raid bosses and pvp is unbalanced and the "down" mechanic is outright horrible.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

The number of threads GW2 shuts down each day for feedback is crazy. I have seen very tasteful threads asking to fix x,y,z content or that they change their focus away from living story and they get deleted. Its rather sad.