Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why can't I get the armor type I need?

AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299

Made three different Nightblades. Played quite a bit over the past few betas. I next to never get any medium armor. Its all Light and Heavy. Is there a secret to getting it to drop, because id really like to start skilling up my medium armor skills? Or is this artificial induced to make players trade and what not? Like maybe a Dragon Knight is getting all my medium armor and isnt getting any heavy? (Which Ill be able to do at release when Im with friends if that is what is happening).

This might seem silly but I honestly cant seem to get medium armor any other way then to sell all the heavy and light and buy the medium. And maybe this is there intent, but I couldn't find anything about it. Or I suppose I could be incredibly unlucky 3 beta weekends in a row?

If anyone knows whats going on please feel free to chime in.

Comments

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    I have noticed the same thing from the previous beta as well. Check the beta forums and see if someone has posted the issue.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Amsai

Yes.  It's luck.  Just RNG, like most other games.     

I've played 2 nightblades and i see no pattern to what kind of armor i get.   For one of the first dugneons bosses, i killed it about 30 times, i got all kinds - medium, light, heavy.  I got all kinds of weapons too, although never a bow.   /shrug.

I just took apart the stuff i got and made myself medium pieces out of it.  Or sold it and bought the medium.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    It's no different then any other mmorpg, just luck.
  • McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    There is crafting for a reason lol.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    True they handed us a great craft system use it and learn about it before release.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I might be crazy, but my thought would be to either craft it myself or buy it from a npc...

If you think it's a bug, then report it.  Otherwise, adapt.

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299

OK thanks for the responses. Just RNG huh? That's a really fucking skewed RNG then, but fine. It is what it is. Ill just team up with a mage and tank type and we can trade gear drops we don't need.

And yea I know you can craft, don't wanna. But I will pay you to make me some gear though! So more profit for you Mr Crafter. Yay.

But seriously, had to check and make sure it wasn't just me. So thanks again for securing my sanity points.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I got lucky this beta and my classes got the gear they needed. Last beta was sucky on finding anything good or relative to your class.

• Zaskar70Zaskar70 Member UncommonPosts: 27

The Beta may not be fully itemized, that being said quest rewards should be redone.

When you do a quest that rewards you with a piece of armour you should be allowed to choose between heavy, medium, or light for that quest reward.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Made three different Nightblades. Played quite a bit over the past few betas. I next to never get any medium armor. Its all Light and Heavy. Is there a secret to getting it to drop, because id really like to start skilling up my medium armor skills? Or is this artificial induced to make players trade and what not? Like maybe a Dragon Knight is getting all my medium armor and isnt getting any heavy? (Which Ill be able to do at release when Im with friends if that is what is happening).

This might seem silly but I honestly cant seem to get medium armor any other way then to sell all the heavy and light and buy the medium. And maybe this is there intent, but I couldn't find anything about it. Or I suppose I could be incredibly unlucky 3 beta weekends in a row?

Crafting... get out there and kill you some hides!

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I had the same experience and I found that finding crafting ingredients for medium armor was very difficult as well.  I actually went back to the first Ebonheart leveling zone to farm up leather scraps and crafted level-appropriate armor.  But light armor ingredients and iron ore?  Everywhere! I just farmed the stuff and sold it for good money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RmgdlI1H-o

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    so far i have crafted myself a full set of light meduim or heavy armor befor leaveing the tut island for each char i have tried, it isnt that hard this game makes crfting very VERY easy.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

It isn't just RNG. I had the same problem. Most quest rewards are for heavy or light armor, and medium rarely drops from mobs. I got to level 17 without seeing a single medium helmet drop, and I had level 11 gear or below other than the stuff I crafted. I was able to find almost no researchable gear to research traits for my crafted gear, either. I farmed a boss with a group of people and got over 40 weapons and 40 pieces of armor off this guy, almost all white and below my level. Even there, there was not a single piece of medium in the mix.

One of the problems this game has is similar to WoW in the beginning: lack of class-appropriate gear as rewards in many quests. In early WoW there were very few quest rewards a hunter could use, and I had to gear myself up by buying crafted items on the AH for the most part  during leveling. Fortunately this stuff was dirt cheap. They later addressed this by adding multiple rewards to individual quests, with the different items favoring different classes. So you might see light, medium and heavy chests as options in one quest.

They need to do that here.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Choices have consequences.Just like real life.Don't want to craft ? Fine...be dependent on a crafter or random drop or a guild mate.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ware what you want to use if you can, even if poor quality. It seems to help, I think?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

The point here is that you should out level your need for some crappy piece of low level armour.

You want to join a guild and contribute to it have a vibrant viable guild auction facility

You want to decide whether or not you want to craft some aspects of your characters armour, potions enchant  etc requirements.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

OK thanks for the responses. Just RNG huh? That's a really fucking skewed RNG then, but fine. It is what it is. Ill just team up with a mage and tank type and we can trade gear drops we don't need.And yea I know you can craft, don't wanna. But I will pay you to make me some gear though! So more profit for you Mr Crafter. Yay.But seriously, had to check and make sure it wasn't just me. So thanks again for securing my sanity points.

You should just take the 20 minutes it would take to craft a level 4 set just to get you skills building in medium armor. You are going to be killing wolves anyway. You don't have to put any points into it to craft a full set. I wanted heavy and kept getting medium drops. So I made my own. Then I started getting heavy drops. Go figure.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Choices have consequences.Just like real life.Don't want to craft ? Fine...be dependent on a crafter or random drop or a guild mate.

I choose to play games that don't require my dependency on crafting.  There's a reason why crafting centric MMOs are the least popular games out there.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

It isn't just RNG. I had the same problem. Most quest rewards are for heavy or light armor, and medium rarely drops from mobs. I got to level 17 without seeing a single medium helmet drop, and I had level 11 gear or below other than the stuff I crafted. I was able to find almost no researchable gear to research traits for my crafted gear, either. I farmed a boss with a group of people and got over 40 weapons and 40 pieces of armor off this guy, almost all white and below my level. Even there, there was not a single piece of medium in the mix.

One of the problems this game has is similar to WoW in the beginning: lack of class-appropriate gear as rewards in many quests. In early WoW there were very few quest rewards a hunter could use, and I had to gear myself up by buying crafted items on the AH for the most part  during leveling. Fortunately this stuff was dirt cheap. They later addressed this by adding multiple rewards to individual quests, with the different items favoring different classes. So you might see light, medium and heavy chests as options in one quest.

They need to do that here.

What you gimped your self in wow is what your saying? In the begining hunters had mana so light armor was way better then medium for them, they could use their skills instead of auto attack and thats how i soloed shadowfang keep as a beastmaster hunter lvl 22 and end boss was 26.... man the memories

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Luck of the draw. As a heavy armor, sword and boarder  I was seeing many staves and medium armor pieces. Wore a few since it was better than being barefoot!

Once I got out of the starter areas I started making my own and using the better 'greens' that did occasionally drop (or quest items) until I could make something white and enchant it.