Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solo Raiding. Who wants it?

KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Most games should have Solo Raiding.   When content runs dry and you sit in cities for hours on end doing nothing towards end game progression until the next raid, it really sucks.   We should have some form of raid for single/solo players that take 1-2 hours to complete and give a reward like a Legendary Upgrade crafting item or something comparable towards end game progression.   What do you all think?   Should there be solo raiding?

Just to clarify:

I'm refering to the difficulty level rather then number of players in raiding.   Like a one person Titan Extreme mode, or as challenging as raiding is in other games,  but lasts for 1-2 hours each solo raid.

and

Not a reward comparable to a 12 man raid,  but a partial reward towards a 12 man raid item drop.   Like 1 legendary upgrade crafting item, or a 1/10th currency towards 1 piece of gear from a 12 man raid.

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Solo raiding?

Isn't that a contradiction by definition?

You probably mean solo dungeons?

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I don't really raid too much and instead enjoy smaller group content or solo content but that's just for exploration and story purpose. I could see some type of solo/duo dungeon/raid content and I would be happy to see it. I like the idea of many different things to do but I chose MAYBE just because they obviously would have to implement it correctly. Like, not allow players to just farm the content endlessly or would that be satisfactory?
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I hope you're joking.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Raid = content designed for more than 1 group of players.

Solo raiding would be like... you and 10 NPC companions?    might be interesting.  idk.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    If you want that type of thing, can't you do that in WoW already?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

they already have that, it's called 50+ and 50++ content :)

you are raiding the enemies lands after all, it is raiding by it's very definition.

• TechnohicTechnohic Member Posts: 148

Why would you call it raiding?  You just want solo dungeons?   Couldn't you just go to open world dungeons you out leveled?

Or do you mean just some sort of challenging solo content?   I used to be a fan of hunting dragons in UO and white wyrms.  Those could be reallly tough and take a long time solo, yet provided fair rewards.  I mean, white dragon scale armor?  Who doesn't want some of that?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    There are hundreds of games with traditional raids out there. I do not want to raid heavily ever again, or feel forced to raid. That content is played out, and quite honestly, more annoying than fun to begin with.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Scrye777Scrye777 Member Posts: 13
    No go Knotwood, raids are content for groups of players, what you really want is a way to get raid level end game gear solo.  Mmorpgs are not the genre for you.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

So you want a solo instance (that's very hard) and takes 1 to 2 hours to complete, but gives a reward comparable to a 12-man raid ?

That's so not going to fly, lol

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by arieste

Solo raiding would be like... you and 10 NPC companions?    might be interesting.  idk.

I'm refering to the difficulty level rather then number of players in raiding.   Like a one person Titan Extreme mode, or as challenging as raiding is in other games,  but lasts for 1-2 hours each solo raid.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by arieste

That would be solo dungeons.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    is that like a gang banging with nobody else in the room?

Not so nice guy!

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Will not work in a class based game trinity game. Sorry.
     I've been here a while...
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

So you want a solo instance (that's very hard) and takes 1 to 2 hours to complete, but gives a reward comparable to a 12-man raid ?

That's so not going to fly, lol

Not a reward comparable to a 12 man raid,  but a partial reward towards a 12 man raid item drop.   Like 1 legendary upgrade crafting item, or a 1/10th currency towards 1 piece of gear from a 12 man raid.

• Echo08Echo08 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    There are hundreds of games with traditional raids out there. I do not want to raid heavily ever again, or feel forced to raid. That content is played out, and quite honestly, more annoying than fun to begin with.

I totally agree... been there done it... time for something new.

• Cresent8Cresent8 Member Posts: 2
    No, man, just...no. Its called an M.M.O.R.P.G for a reason.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I would be in, thats the main problem I have with alot of games.  You hit max level and you spend more time waiting for groups / queues than you do actually playing.  It would be nice to have some solo content / dungeons to do.  I would be up for something like skyrim's caves / temples. 
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Knotwood

The problem is that difficulty in large part comes FROM the number of players.  Group play requires organization, communication and coordination.  The less people there are to organize, coordinate and communicate, the easier those things become to do.

That's not to say that you can't make challenging content for 1-2 people, you can.  But then you'll be able to make that even MORE challenging by making it for 5 people or 10 or 20, which would bring us right back to whether we are now.

EQ2 did this.  They made 3 super-hard 2-person dungeons that yielded rewards equivalent to raid rewards.  I'll tell you this, i'm in a Top 25 raid guild worldwide in EQ2.  We have less than 10 people total that have done those zones.  They were f***ing hard.   I'm pretty sure next to no one among "soloers" has done them.  

p.s. on a related note, time (1-2 hours) isn't what makes an encounter challenging.  

p.s.#2   Most games have 1-2 hour solo activities that result in goo rewards.  They're called quests and/or solo dungeons.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by Cresent8
    No, man, just...no. Its called an M.M.O.R.P.G for a reason.

Dont get me wrong, I like top end raiding, but theres got to be more to an MMORPG then just standing around doing absolutly nothing while waiting for a raid every week.   There has to be more solo and group content that has end game progression if these MMORPGs want to keep players from getting bored and leaving the games.  MMORPG does not ONLY mean Raiding, it means having a chat bar and doing things with friend when they are on, but shouldnt be a sentance to boredem when no ones around to end game progress with.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    OMG there is content you cannot solo! Ban it!
  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

If you want a "solo dungeon" for "endgame", why not just play a single player game?  The whole point of an MMO is to, you know, play with other people?

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

No way man.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Good idea...bad thread title.

Both Rift and WOW have something slightly the same. Rift calls it Chronicles and they're solo / 2-man instances. WOW calls them Scenarios and they're 3-man instances where the trinity doesn't matter.

A couple of the better ideas Trion and Blizzard have had.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

I want a solo MMO. I pay as much monthly fee as the next guy, so i'm entitled to play as i want.

I want to experience an end game when i want, and how i want. You can't force me to group with other people if i don't want to.

/sarcasm off

Next thread, please..