Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 account hacked

movros99movros99 granby, MOPosts: 124Member

So I saw the article on D3 here and I decided to give it a go.  I haven't touched my account since 2012 and when I tried to access it, it was gone.  Turns out I was hacked and had to get their customer service to restore everything (which they promptly did). 

So I never click on the bogus "" emails and I do pick good passwords so I'm trying to figure out how I got hacked.  It's never happened to me before.  I think I'm going to add the authenticator app they have just to be sure from now on.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,568Member Uncommon

Sadly most people believe that if they have a good password and are smart with emails, that they will always be safe.  Though the reality is that so long as your computer is connected to the internet, it is always susceptible to being hacked.  This includes programs with accounts store on their side.  It's even quite possible for someone to buy a gaming computer that they only use for one game and nothing else to still get hacked (albeit harder to do so and the time involved may be better spent elsewhere by a potential hacker).

Visiting any website has a chance to instill a virus or backdoor in your computer that detects when you open a certain program in which to store it's information.  Making a single typo when trying to go to a popular website is a major culprit as well, and back doors are very hard to detect and most virus protection just can't detect them.  Clicking any link on the forums could also do this; looking at a picture, downloading a mod or anything at all that places something physically on your computer.  Even official sites or downloads sometimes get infected.

People say if you're smart you have nothing to worry about, but that's simply not the case.  The only time you can really be without worry is when there's an authenticator -- but even that's not fool proof -- as it's usually just not worth the effort of cracking the highest secured accounts when you could get the information for a hundred others in the same duration.  Therefore, these devices are always worth the investment (most are even free via phone) whenever they are provided.

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

• movros99movros99 granby, MOPosts: 124Member
    I now have the authenticator in place. 
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Darkness, CAPosts: 233Member

Isn't an authenticator REQUIRED for D3?

If it is, your "D3 account" wasn't hacked, your account was. Getting that authenticator is a good idea.