Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can you do in this game besides fight?

fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

I know open world pvp is kind of the main feature, but I'm wondering what else the game has to offer.

Thanks.

Me

Her

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Harvest nodes

Craft

Kill mobs for feats or loot

Play the market

Goto Prowess monoliths (this could get you in a fight so you can scout out the area first)

Fish

Scrap

Buy an account, get in an enemies clan, listen to COMs and feedback info.

Roam around and find random chests for gold

Turn in different keys for gold at fixed treasure chests

Do a dungeon

Run treasure maps

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Sounds interesting.  Can you build anything?  Houses, buildings, cities?

Me

Her

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    You can't build freeform like in minecraft or eq landmark, but you can own a home and your guild can own a village or city.

Also you can have a boat.

The long and the short is that there is a sense of building but there is definitely room for av to advance this part of the game. Its where at least a good part of my dev money would go if I were them

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Is there any PvE, or is PvE basically just to level you up your skills for PvP?

Me

Her

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

There is tons of PVE actually, I find the PVE to be quite fun, though most that play don't, but that's primarily because its a hard core PvP crowd not a PvE crowd.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The pve is like UO pve, not like a themepark pve. As in there are mobs all around the world and you kill those mobs for a specific reason. There is no pve "content" except for maybe the dungeons. You kill mobs to get prowess (experience), and you can kill mobs to get certain resources. For instance, you can farm gnolls and skin them for rawhide, which you can turn into leather to craft armor with or sell to other players on the market.

There are some cool "epic" mobs around the world, but the tangible reward for beating them probably isn't worth it. There are a couple krakens, fire dragons, ice dragons, etc. But like I said if you're looking for pve content similar to games with like raids and the like, you won't find it here. The pve here is functional more than it is entertaining, if that makes sense.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

It's not a theme park.  You make your own content.

Make a ship and be a pirate.  Make a clan and try to conquer he world.  Be a crafter and pay others to fight for you if you don't combat.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

i actually enjoy the PvE because you can get killed at all times and unless your loot isnt in your bank it is not safe. The mobs have a basic AI and run around and shoot at you, sometimes go into cover or do some tactics like running away while there friends beat you.

PvE is needed to get certain materials and to level your character. For example i kill certain mobs because they have a high chance to drop treasure maps. Or i did a dungeon that had mobs in it which drop lots of spice required for cooking. 

However the PvE gets a revamp to make the loot more local, specific to one area

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by fivetigers

I know open world pvp is kind of the main feature, but I'm wondering what else the game has to offer.

Thanks.

DF:UW is not about anything beside mindless fights.

Everything else is subpar and made as  an afterthought.  Everything you have to do is centered around PvP or become a char that is viable for it.

The games forces only one playstyle,  that is PvP and everything else is shallow and not developed enough to justify it being a full MMORPG in the sense of viable alternative playstyles.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Thanks.

Everything else is subpar and made as  an afterthought.  Everything you have to do is centered around PvP or become a char that is viable for it.

The games forces only one playstyle,  that is PvP and everything else is shallow and not developed enough to justify it being a full MMORPG in the sense of viable alternative playstyles.

Eh, wtf are you on about? Your right about everything other than PvP isn't great, but the PvP very fucking far from mindless. PvP has meaning, you lose your shit when you die, you can lose your guild city when you lose in a PvP siege, your reputation as a PvP'er matters. Name another single modern game where the above is true. You just someone who sucked at it.

Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Thanks.

Eh, wtf are you on about? Your right about everything other than PvP isn't great, but the PvP very fucking far from mindless. PvP has meaning, you lose your shit when you die, you can lose your guild city when you lose in a PvP siege, your reputation as a PvP'er matters. Name another single modern game where the above is true. You just someone who sucked at it.

right i forgot about the epeen ..errm "reputation" factor in PvP.

Loot is worthless because everyone can craft everything (and will do so to get PP and become viable in PvP) and everything is not valuable because crafter can't craft anything specia  w..well because crafting isn't anything but shallow ..oh and the citys aren't valuable to fight over. Most things will be obtained while afk and even in safezones.

Nothing really matters in DF:UW..ah well..except..epeen of course. Your post especially confirm excalty this...my post is spot on considering OP asked also and  especially about content and activities BESIDE PvP and fights..

You can't lie to yourself about that, in these regards DF:UW offers litle to nothing ...

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Holophonist

But like I said if you're looking for pve content similar to games with like raids and the like, you won't find it here.

This isn't actually true. Have you tried the newest dungeon "sinspire cathedral"? You have to beat bosses to unlock doors and progress through, and its massive. screenshots. Its very much like raiding in other mmos, the loot is amazing and its one of the best/only ways to get rare mats for the best armours/weapons in the game.

Darkfall actually has quite alot to do that isn't PvP, just not enough to keep non-pvpers subbed to the game longterm.

My blog: image

I've heard the world is huge.  If you want to get somewhere far away, is there any type of fast trave/portals, or is a real journey if you want to travel far away?

Me

Her

I've heard the world is huge.  If you want to get somewhere far away, is there any type of fast trave/portals, or is a real journey if you want to travel far away?

There are portals dotted around the world which will cost you gold to do so.  A friend can also summon you (once per hour) to there location by using a portal shard.  You also can bind to a bindstone so that when you die or once every 15 minutes you can bind port back to it.  If you own a house, you can port to your house.  Lastly, you can mark a runestone at a location and be able to port to that location (porting will use up the runestone).

For me, I can't play MMO's that don't have open world pvp.  This makes PVE'ing exciting and completely changes how you farm.

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

The game is basically a roaming PvP arena.  There are areas around the world that are controlled by 3 day timers.  When these timers hit the 3 day mark the areas become available for "requisitioning" which is basically a big word for "capture".  When you capture one of these areas you get a big reward.

That's the only content in the game that is fun.

The PvE is the worst PvE in any MMO every made.  The PvE is extremely boring and repetitive... but even worse the mobs in the game don't drop any loot (that is worthwhile) .  The only point to killing mobs is to gain character progression points, which after you're happy with your character they become useless.

So long story short, there is nothing to do in the game that is fun besides PvP.  The PvP ends up being "an arena" because you travel to these timers and fight the same people over and over and over and over.

The game has less than 500 active players...probably around 1000-1500 total subscribers (including alts, which most people have).

Would strongly recommend not playing this game.

Originally posted by indef

The game is basically a roaming PvP arena.  There are areas around the world that are controlled by 3 day timers.  When these timers hit the 3 day mark the areas become available for "requisitioning" which is basically a big word for "capture".  When you capture one of these areas you get a big reward.

The PvE is the worst PvE in any MMO every made.  The PvE is extremely boring and repetitive... but even worse the mobs in the game don't drop any loot (that is worthwhile) .  The only point to killing mobs is to gain character progression points, which after you're happy with your character they become useless.

So long story short, there is nothing to do in the game that is fun besides PvP.  The PvP ends up being "an arena" because you travel to these timers and fight the same people over and over and over and over.

The game has less than 500 active players...probably around 1000-1500 total subscribers (including alts, which most people have).

Things are coming down the pipe that will fundamentally improve the game.  AV is working on mob loot distribution/regionalization and a new territory control system, which I would expect within the next month or so. 

The basic idea of the territory control system is agon will be carved up into a bunch of puzzle pieces that will be control points.  The control points will be villages, cities, hamlets (at this time).  Each region will have different buffs, which could be pve or crafting related.  If I take over the next region then I will get both regions buffs.  This will encourage alliances to control regions and expand their empire. 

There are a number of other things in the works, but these two things have me the most excited.

PS:  I would strongly recommend playing UW as nothing else even comes close to being as good.

Originally posted by Consensus

But like I said if you're looking for pve content similar to games with like raids and the like, you won't find it here.

This isn't actually true. Have you tried the newest dungeon "sinspire cathedral"? You have to beat bosses to unlock doors and progress through, and its massive. screenshots. Its very much like raiding in other mmos, the loot is amazing and its one of the best/only ways to get rare mats for the best armours/weapons in the game.

Darkfall actually has quite alot to do that isn't PvP, just not enough to keep non-pvpers subbed to the game longterm.

No, I know. I did mention that dungeons are an exception to the typical pve in darkfall. I don't think a couple dungeons is enough to satisfy a typical themepark raider though.

Originally posted by Badaboom

Things are coming down the pipe that will fundamentally improve the game.  AV is working on mob loot distribution/regionalization and a new territory control system, which I would expect within the next month or so. 

The basic idea of the territory control system is agon will be carved up into a bunch of puzzle pieces that will be control points.  The control points will be villages, cities, hamlets (at this time).  Each region will have different buffs, which could be pve or crafting related.  If I take over the next region then I will get both regions buffs.  This will encourage alliances to control regions and expand their empire. 

There are a number of other things in the works, but these two things have me the most excited.

PS:  I would strongly recommend playing UW as nothing else even comes close to being as good.

I'm in the MVP forums and I know exactly what their ideas are.  They just stated that they completed a first functional pass at one of the systems needed for the territory control system.

I don't know if you know anything about engineering...but a first functional pass at something means it's about 5%-10% complete.  You will be lucky to see these new systems within 6 months at the very best.  AV has 5-10 developers left working on the game, half of which are interns working for free.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Badaboo

Something like this i expected to be added as withing the DF 2010 expansion package to DF1. It would have been the right step.

I imagined the controling clans of these "tiles" could customize the ruleset of the area what would  indeed look like player driven empire building, a long given promise. Question why the had to waste time with DF:UW ruining all of the game first instead of delivering just that on the basis of Darkfall ?

Now they need to remove all the DF:UW crap plus implement this good idea(s).

I'm in the MVP forums and I know exactly what their ideas are.  They just stated that they completed a first functional pass at one of the systems needed for the territory control system.

I don't know if you know anything about engineering...but a first functional pass at something means it's about 5%-10% complete.  You will be lucky to see these new systems within 6 months at the very best.  AV has 5-10 developers left working on the game, half of which are interns working for free.

[mod edit]

[mod edit].  I've also been following this game over the last decade.  I stand by my statement that no other game comes close to offering what Darkfall does all in one package. 

• charlie_kellycharlie_kelly Member Posts: 16

[mod edit]

[mod edit]  I've also been following this game over the last decade.  I stand by my statement that no other game comes close to offering what Darkfall does all in one package. 

I'm not nostalgic about anything.  Darkfall Unholy Wars is a horrible game.  That's why the game has around 100 active daily players and around 500 total active players.

I'm glad you enjoy the game...but claiming DF:UW is the best game of all time and that "no other game comes close to it" is simply untrue.

If DF:UW was everything you say it is, there would be more than 100 people logging in each day.  The original vision for Darkfall was the best vision for a game in its time.  The Darkfall we have now is a mis-mash of Themepark and Full loot PvP thrown into a PvP arena.  The game has no depth, no customization, no meta game, no variety, and certainly no vision.

If the OP wants to play a full loot PvP arena game...then DF:UW is it.  If they want an MMO, DF:UW isn't one.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Definitely the best MMO world out there OP, seamless, huge, varied with some amazing looking visuals throughout. The PvE loot needs work, but the actual PvE combat is considerably better than most in the genre.  Probably due to the combat system requiring actual effort as opposed to tab target and forget about it.

I have no idea why people don't like the game (other than the fact that I think too many people need their hand held or they are bitter DF1 vets).  I find that I have more motivation to farm for materials to rebuild my own clan's city or destroy the enemy's city than I would in the typical themepark game in which your guild doesn't own anything.  Travel means something even with the portals (which are incredibly dangerous solo) and the somewhat expensive/rare runestones/portal shards.

You can blow up your enemies city/hamlet and they will lose access to various bonuses that the city provides (banking/binding/resources).  Blow it up with a ship, this game has some fun ship combat as well.  Probably the most underrated part of this game is the ship combat.

The arena PvP crowd that this game has attracted have no appreciation for the amazing world the PvE or really anything that doesn't have to do with PvP.  And they really hurt this game as they call it a terrible game because they have no appreciation for MMO's or virtual worlds.  

I highly recommend the game if you can tolerate being killed and looted every now and then.  Also if you are tired of being treated like a child in MMO's with no risk vs reward.  Tired of having your hand held down a linear path, try this.  

Originally posted by charlie_kelly

[mod edit]

[mod edit]  I've also been following this game over the last decade.  I stand by my statement that no other game comes close to offering what Darkfall does all in one package. 

I'm not nostalgic about anything.  Darkfall Unholy Wars is a horrible game.  That's why the game has around 100 active daily players and around 500 total active players.

I'm glad you enjoy the game...but claiming DF:UW is the best game of all time and that "no other game comes close to it" is simply untrue.

If DF:UW was everything you say it is, there would be more than 100 people logging in each day.  The original vision for Darkfall was the best vision for a game in its time.  The Darkfall we have now is a mis-mash of Themepark and Full loot PvP thrown into a PvP arena.  The game has no depth, no customization, no meta game, no variety, and certainly no vision.

If the OP wants to play a full loot PvP arena game...then DF:UW is it.  If they want an MMO, DF:UW isn't one.

Mmmm I don't think you get his point. He's saying Darkfall does what it does better than everybody else. For people that want a full loot ow pvp game, darkfall is the best. Particularly if you want skill-based combat and conquest elements.

DFUW has a low playerbase because of its problems, but what other game that is similar to Darkfall has more players? EVE is really close and I don't think many people would deny that EVE is a better game than DFUW. But other than EVE, simply nobody is doing what DFUW is doing.

So I'd kind of have to ask what you mean when you say it's a horrible game. Nobody can deny the technical problems and lack of content, but I personally care a lot about what type of game I'm playing, not just how it's implemented. If I wanted a well made, polished game with frequent updates, I would play LoL or WoW.

[mod edit]

Mmmm I don't think you get his point. He's saying Darkfall does what it does better than everybody else. For people that want a full loot ow pvp game, darkfall is the best. Particularly if you want skill-based combat and conquest elements.

DFUW has a low playerbase because of its problems, but what other game that is similar to Darkfall has more players? EVE is really close and I don't think many people would deny that EVE is a better game than DFUW. But other than EVE, simply nobody is doing what DFUW is doing.

So I'd kind of have to ask what you mean when you say it's a horrible game. Nobody can deny the technical problems and lack of content, but I personally care a lot about what type of game I'm playing, not just how it's implemented. If I wanted a well made, polished game with frequent updates, I would play LoL or WoW.

Just because Darkfall doesn't have any competition doesn't make it good.

That's like saying the food truck that sells curdled milk pudding has the best, simply because nobody else on the planet sells it also.  Their product is still terrible, even if they're the only ones that sell it.

The only alternative to Darkfall is Mortal Online...and Mortal Online is just a very different game.  The only similarity between the two is full loot.  Mortal Online is a very un-polished and buggy sandbox PvP game.  Darkfall is a very un-finished arena PvP game.

The fact that Darkfall "does it better than anyone else" is simply not a selling point.  When you have no competition, nobody cares how good you are compared to nobody.

[mod edit]

Just because Darkfall doesn't have any competition doesn't make it good.

That's like saying the food truck that sells curdled milk pudding has the best, simply because nobody else on the planet sells it also.  Their product is still terrible, even if they're the only ones that sell it.

The only alternative to Darkfall is Mortal Online...and Mortal Online is just a very different game.  The only similarity between the two is full loot.  Mortal Online is a very un-polished and buggy sandbox PvP game.  Darkfall is a very un-finished arena PvP game.

The fact that Darkfall "does it better than anyone else" is simply not a selling point.  When you have no competition, nobody cares how good you are compared to nobody.

It is a selling point if you want a full loot skill based pvp game. When you decide to play a game you look at a number of factors. You look at the price, the size of the playerbase, how well it's made, the amount of content, and the type of game it is. You're misunderstanding about the lack of competition thing. I'm not saying that the lack of competition makes it a good game, I'm saying I want to play a full loot open world pvp game and DFUW is one of the very few that exists. To me, DFUW is a far better game than WoW. This is despite the fact that WoW is far more polished, has way more content and obviously a way larger population.

But either way, the lack of competition absolutely does make it a better game. What determines how good a game is is simply our standards, which are formed from other games. It's unfair to compare DFUW to non-full loot ow pvp games, especially if they have tab targeting.