Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There's no hope for this game

2»

Comments

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Under EA, studios are usually doomed which results in the game being doomed.

Well, yes. But also, this game was so poorly designed it was never going to hold players. It's in the same state DAoC is really, where they have a skeleton crew trying to keep the game alive. They probably have some basic content creation tools, but they can't fiddle with the code much, now that there are barely any engineers left on the team. And they can't hire more people because the game is barely making a profit. 

• DarksopDarksop Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Just focus on the story Bioware. It's what you do best. Don't try to copy wow. Wow is wow and Tor is Tor. Keep it like that ok?

Unless they say that they have absolutely no plans on expanding the class stories, they aren't doomed. If they do say that however, it's game over.

I'd bet that a lot of players don't care about the grinds anyhow. I guess that at least 80% play it for story, 15% for PvP and 5% for endgame. 100% play it because of the social reasons(no matter how small-chatting on the general still counts).

With those numbers, I can't understand how is developing raid #13(or whatever) profitable. Guess that the endgame crowd is the Flappy Bird crowd.

And how many people do you think were drawn to this game because of the Star Wars logo?

There are 2 things keeping this game alive:

1. Star Wars title

2. EA 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Spawnblade

I'd hardly call them expansions.  Rise of the Hutt took less than ten hours.  For 25 bucks, that's hardly an expansion.

To add to a previous argument:  It's not so much that developers -can- spend time on quality content in a P2P model, it's that they HAVE to in order to make sure they retain subscribers.

It doesn't have to be quality, it just has to be content.  Look at WoW expansions.

WoW expansions are usually game changing and huge. SWTOR sells patches and calls them expansions

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by Rattenmann
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I have no interest in this game but from all accounts the game is DOING WELL NOW.  So they are doing something right.

Doing well money wise does not equal being a good game. It only means it is appealing to the flappy bird crowd enough to generate cash even tho the content is awful.

So, people who, God forbid, play and enjoy TOR are just a "flappy bird" crowd? You and the other self-righteous haters can spite all you want. The game is of high quality and players are having playing it. 

Don't sweat it, it the same people as have been proclaiming the death of WoW, and so far they have been wrong about that too, SW;TOR will probably be doing quite well for years to come, and as long as Bioware keeps adding content, then that's unlikely to change. image

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

This is excelent news actually, I'm glad to see EA won't be squandering resources on things I don't care about or want to see.  Granted all the technical difficulties are concerning but everyone by now is aware that the engine sucks.

Why do people want a new class so badly?  They can't even balance the classes they do have and adding a whole new 1-50 class story + companions when they can't even update the existing ones is ridiculous to suggest.  I think just about everyone who plays this game would rather see their existing character stories updated rather than making additional 1-50 stories.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by reeereee

This is excelent news actually, I'm glad to see EA won't be squandering resources on things I don't care about or want to see.  Granted all the technical difficulties are concerning but everyone by now is aware that the engine sucks.

Why do people want a new class so badly?  They can't even balance the classes they do have and adding a whole new 1-50 class story + companions when they can't even update the existing ones is ridiculous to suggest.  I think just about everyone who plays this game would rather see their existing character stories updated rather than making additional 1-50 stories.

Didn't BW specifically state there will be no more character story expansions.  They are only going to do generic story xpacs from now on.

I was one of those that bought the physical CE (two of them).  I was so excited about this game.  It turned out to be a highly un-optimized WoW clone w/ lightsabers.   I still played it for quite a while after release.  I left prior to it going f2p.  Gave it another shot after.  The Hutt cartel 'xpac' was kind of a slap in the face.  I've seen game patches with more content that that.  I'm positive the ONLY reason for the Galactic Starfighter 'xpac' was because it was already in the works...at least they had the decency to make it free, though they really need to redefine what they consider an xpac and major content patches.

Anyway, it seems like 80% of their resources now are dedicated to the cash shop...not actual content.  I really wish they would have listened to the community/beta testers and even before that....CHOSEN A REAL ENGINE.  The Hero engine CAN'T EVEN HANDLE CHAT BUBBLES.  ugh.  Why, WHY did they have to pick the fucking HERO ENGINE?  Was their budget truly THAT bad?

SWTOR may be profitable, but it could have been soooo much more than just a cash grab.  Sadly, though, SWTOR is why the doctors are no longer in the games industry.  All of their hard work over the years, and it had to end by EA destroying what could have been a great game.  SWTOR is now, and will forever be, stuck in mediocrity hence forth.  The way SWTOR turned out was so very disappointing to me.  I don't care if the game makes more money in a month than Apple, Google, MS combined...IT'S STILL NOT A GREAT GAME.  It could have been, but it is ok at best.  My personal prediction is that SWTOR is going to start seeing a decline in profits and players very soon.  WildStar is coming out for the gear grinders and sci-fi people, ESO for the story, EQN for sandbox, WoW xpac will obviously hurt all MMO sub numbers for a while, I imagine GW2 is about to have an xpac, and just to many more to list.  The only saving grace for SWTOR is the Star Wars IP. 

Maybe one day we will have a great Star Wars MMO.  We can only hope.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Spawnblade

I'd hardly call them expansions.  Rise of the Hutt took less than ten hours.  For 25 bucks, that's hardly an expansion.

To add to a previous argument:  It's not so much that developers -can- spend time on quality content in a P2P model, it's that they HAVE to in order to make sure they retain subscribers.

It doesn't have to be quality, it just has to be content.  Look at WoW expansions.

WoW expansions are usually game changing and huge. SWTOR sells patches and calls them expansions

Well one expansion was free and the other is now free. So maybe the next two expansions that I was referring to originally might be free also , well at least the smaller one probably will be.

As to the more classes talk , well yeah I would prefer an advancement on my class stories ( 50+ or 55+ , but probably cap increase this year anyway so 60+) and they actually said . "Never say never" not just a plain "No". SO yeah the big announcement at the end of this next up and coming story arc might just be a boxed expansion next year. Who knows.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Darksop
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Just focus on the story Bioware. It's what you do best. Don't try to copy wow. Wow is wow and Tor is Tor. Keep it like that ok?

Unless they say that they have absolutely no plans on expanding the class stories, they aren't doomed. If they do say that however, it's game over.

I'd bet that a lot of players don't care about the grinds anyhow. I guess that at least 80% play it for story, 15% for PvP and 5% for endgame. 100% play it because of the social reasons(no matter how small-chatting on the general still counts).

With those numbers, I can't understand how is developing raid #13(or whatever) profitable. Guess that the endgame crowd is the Flappy Bird crowd.

And how many people do you think were drawn to this game because of the Star Wars logo?

There are 2 things keeping this game alive:

1. Star Wars title

2. EA 

This...so much this. If this mediocre mmo did not have the Star wars name attached to it, it would have been shut down a while back.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

i must say that those questions wasnt so precise or in need asap.

the game has serious bugs from start of the game, lot of achievements are bugged too

and that annoying camera shake,... they dont understand that some people have headache from that ^^ (what kids they put as devs??? these days??)

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    That Q&A have like a month old.  There is a roadmap on the website, the game will have 2 new DLC this year, one like GS and other like the size of Makeb, and by the end of the year the announcement of probably the 1st real xpac. BW and EA made a lot of mistakes, but the game is doing good, and growing. 
  • ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

Was just reading the Community Cantina Q&A, reading it just gives me the impression there is no hope for this game any more.

http://ootinicast.com/2014/02/community-cantina-phoenix/

Q: Are there any plans to increase the Legacy cap beyond 50, or provide any incentives to attain that level, such as Legacy banks so that you don’t have to mail credits to your alts etc?
    A: They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future.

Q: What are the plans to improve guild functionality in game: guild email, capital ships etc?
    A: Currently nothing is specifically planned. A lot of the features requested would be technically challenging.

This is just a facepalm. Everything is technically challenging unless they can make money out of it (the CM)

It's rather upsetting to go back and read Cantina Q&A a month back after hearing about the Housing announcement yesterday.

• Are the community managers and developers completely disconnected from one another? Upsetting if true.
    • Were the questions deliberately answered falsely to not break this announcement date? Then why bother holding Q&A events.
    • If the above aren't true, are we to believe housing was forced into development in a single month just to keep pace with other MMOs? That would speak negatively to overall development being stifled or held back just for the sake of being reactionary.

"Things that make you go hmmmm...."

Originally posted by troick
    What's even more unsettling is you knew this thread was here.  The last post was made before you made an account.  

*Things that make you go hmmmm...

It was only on page 2, and this forum is pretty slow, I thought it was more relevant to bump rather than start a new thread to revisit the Cantina Q&A.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

The game that was expected to shut down within first year is already moving forward with healthy subscriber base and regular stream of content. It is well beyond that mark now where people would say stuff like 'its beyond hope'.

I think it is just very hard for some people to digest the fact that game isn't dead as they predicted..hence this topic.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Impacthound

Was just reading the Community Cantina Q&A, reading it just gives me the impression there is no hope for this game any more.

http://ootinicast.com/2014/02/community-cantina-phoenix/

Q: Are there any plans to increase the Legacy cap beyond 50, or provide any incentives to attain that level, such as Legacy banks so that you don’t have to mail credits to your alts etc?
    A: They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future.

Q: What are the plans to improve guild functionality in game: guild email, capital ships etc?
    A: Currently nothing is specifically planned. A lot of the features requested would be technically challenging.

This is just a facepalm. Everything is technically challenging unless they can make money out of it (the CM)

It's rather upsetting to go back and read Cantina Q&A a month back after hearing about the Housing announcement yesterday.

• Are the community managers and developers completely disconnected from one another? Upsetting if true.
    • Were the questions deliberately answered falsely to not break this announcement date? Then why bother holding Q&A events.
    • If the above aren't true, are we to believe housing was forced into development in a single month just to keep pace with other MMOs? That would speak negatively to overall development being stifled or held back just for the sake of being reactionary.

"Things that make you go hmmmm...."

What's even more unsettling is you knew this thread was here.  The last post was made before you made an account.  

Do you actually blame them ? After the horrendous backlash of no ranked WZ's in that patch last year ? So yeah no conspiracy they just can't tell us everything too early , things change and some things might not be able to be implemented. At least they tell us some information now via road maps. A little paranoid methinks ImpactHound.

Bring on the huge announcement at the end of the year , can't wait.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Impacthound

It was only on page 2, and this forum is pretty slow, I thought it was more relevant to bump rather than start a new thread to revisit the Cantina Q&A.

even when this thread was first made it wasn't "relevant" 

Originally posted by BadOrb
    Do you actually blame them ? After the horrendous backlash of no ranked WZ's in that patch last year ? So yeah no conspiracy they just can't tell us everything too early , things change and some things might not be able to be implemented. At least they tell us some information now via road maps. A little paranoid methinks ImpactHound.

Bring on the huge announcement at the end of the year , can't wait.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Then it's the second bulletpoint, why bother holding these Q&A community events if they won't answer questions? The Cantina Tour is run specifically to connect to the players and communicate openly. It's pretty disappointing and not worth reading them going forward if they're not going to truthfully answer real questions. Realistically, they should have answered both questions I underlined with "they're something we're interested in, but don't have any concrete info to share at this time," not "too challenging, technically difficult."

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Locking this so it's not bumped as it's an older post.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.