Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: ESO vs Wildstar: NDA Free Edition

Comments

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

I am in both betas and this is my impression:

WildStar is what it is and does not apologize for it and in fact tries to make it fun and humourous. WildStar is WoW through and through, it is an MMO and that is that and they are squarely making the best damned MMO they can. Whether you like it or not, at least you know WTF you are getting and in for.

Elder Scrolls Online doesn't want to be an MMO and refuses to even use the terms such as raid, they are using "Adventure Zones" and having been a raider for a decade, I simply have no idea WTF their end game is going to be for PVE players other than rolling a new character.

Their RVR has potential but they are downplaying the PVP aspect of the game when their developer's heritage is freaking DAOC for crying out loud. They should be heralding that from the rooftops, especially since RVR is the ONLY end game they HAVE!

It seems like ESO is counting on millions of people blindly buying ESO because it is part of the Elder Scrolls franchise.

They made a decidedly PVE game, ala Skyrim, and are marketing it as such. They are going to have millions of max level 50++ players that are PVE players and the only end game they are going to have is RVR PVP.

They have severely underestimated the time it will take players to consume their PVE content. They do not have end game PVE content. They simply are not ready. It is the same thing that happened to SWTOR. Everyone is going to be max level and 50++ and waiting for a new ....Adventure Zone? Dungeon? Some other PVE thing? It launches in a month and they have not said a word about what endgame PVE there is going to be. In two months we will be sitting around waiting for more content.

Even after playing it over the past few beta cycles, and knowing what it has and the potential it has and seeing how it is being marketed and handled I simply cannot fathom it being more than a single player game where I get to max level and unsubscribe until there is something else to do. In other words, Skyrim.

ESO IS a buy to play game. Buy it, level to 55++ and your free month will be up. Resub when new content comes out. It is Skyrim with patches instead of DLC and a sub in order to play those new patches.

WildStar is an MMO.

ESO's preorder only race puts them squarely into the single player category because it is clear that a fair game world is not their intent, sticking to what they know, this is a single player style game feature. I do not plan on preordering it because of this. NOT that they are doing this, but that because they ARE doing this it speaks volumes about their intent and "gaming ethics" and I have decided, for myself, that it is in this category and am giving it that kind of consideration I think it deserves for my intent and preferred genre playstyle.

I am waiting to see when WildStar plans to release and when/if that coincides with WoW WoD. I AM buying and playing WoD, if WildStar happens to be in that time frame then it will not get my game time, it will be next, once I have tier 17 on farm and want a diversion. ESO is going to have to wait. I will eventually get it, but it just is not an MMO.

Hell by then Dragon Age 3 may be out and ESO will get pushed back even further because that is where it has placed itself, as a single player game. At least in my mind.
  • AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Chuckanar
    I have liked ESO and WIldStar. I will be buying Wildstar. It is for me the more entertaining game. For those that dont like the graphics of wildstar yet give props to WoW are being hypocritical I think. If you like something then play it. Graphics should only be a minor thing for a true MMO gamer. If you want realistic graphics then go play consoles or join the armed forces.

PC > console graphically

Already did the armed forces.  Semper Fi

I don't know, the graphics on WS didn't bother me but I can see how it would turn people off.  It reminds me a bit of comic books with the POW and BOINK affects. 

It's also fair for some to like WoW's animations and not WS's.  I'd say that in some aspects, WoW's graphics are better than WS's.  Blizzard did, and continue to, revamp them after all.  I'd also argue that WoW's graphics might not be as 'in your face cartoon' as WS's is.  That's a matter of opinion, though.

The point is, you shouldn't dismiss someone because they don't like the graphics.  It makes a difference, for some more so than others.  It is, after all, what you'll be looking at your entire gaming experience.

Originally posted by Dejoblue

I am in both betas and this is my impression:

snip

Ya, not a lot of info out about adventure zones other than it's more or less a group area zone that will have instanced PvE raids. I forgot the number of players the raids are scaled to or if they auto scale.

Anyway, it's a valid concern what will be done at end game for any new MMO.  WildStar, there's I think 1 raid, a few dungeons/adventures, PvP. 

ESO is Adventure Zones (with instanced PvE content inside the zones) 1 at launch?, dungeons, PvP

We could break it down further for each, but let's face it, they'll most likely both be f2p after a year or so.  ESO might hold out a bit longer because it does have that ES fanbase.  WildStar is directly going after WoW players, and WoW is about to release a new xpac...one without pandas.  Maybe the WS devs will be smart and develop the game for another 8 years (someone actually said that's how long it was being developed?  ouch) to make sure it's ready and bug free(ish).

Star Citizen can't release soon enough for me.  Definitely a niche game, but to each their own.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Funny realization for me, after trying ESO, my biggest complaint was that its combat is a clunky clickfest.    

The one thing i did NOT expect when trying Wildstar is that its combat could manage to be even worse.   I've no idea how any developer in their right mind decides to use godawful GCD-based combat in their game.  Never understood why Rift did it, never understood SWTOR.  GCD just results in fucking awful combat.   So yeah,  I'm not a fan of cartoony graphics, but i can overcome that to give the game a try... the use of gcd for combat is just total fail though.   

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by arieste

Funny realization for me, after trying ESO, my biggest complaint was that its combat is a clunky clickfest.    

The one thing i did NOT expect when trying Wildstar is that its combat could manage to be even worse.   I've no idea how any developer in their right mind decides to use godawful GCD-based combat in their game.  Never understood why Rift did it, never understood SWTOR.  GCD just results in fucking awful combat.   So yeah,  I'm not a fan of cartoony graphics, but i can overcome that to give the game a try... the use of gcd for combat is just total fail though.   

Clunky combat can be patched (look at SWTOR, biggest complaint of people leveling was clunky/floaty combat.  they did improve it...same with GW2).  GCD is a design choice.

I'm more shocked that the classes are weapon locked.  If you use a sword, you'll always use a sword.  Use claws, you're stuck with em forever (unless they change their minds later). 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Azzras

Clunky combat can be patched (look at SWTOR, biggest complaint of people leveling was clunky/floaty combat.  they did improve it...same with GW2).  GCD is a design choice.

I get what you're saying, except SWTOR is a bad example.  SWTOR has GCD and out of the MMOs i've played, Wildstar is almost identical to SWTOR.  The main differences being that TOR has voiceovers while WS has dodging in combat.    Aside from that it's almost like playing the same game - especially when combat is concerned (again, except being able to dodge in WS). 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by Azzras

I get what you're saying, except SWTOR is a bad example.  SWTOR has GCD and out of the MMOs i've played, Wildstar is almost identical to SWTOR.  The main differences being that TOR has voiceovers while WS has dodging in combat.    Aside from that it's almost like playing the same game - especially when combat is concerned (again, except being able to dodge in WS). 

Yeah, it does have GCD.  I was their for early access, though.  The combat was horrid at the time.  Characters didn't' feel like they were walking, they floated.  Never felt like you hit anything either.  They fixed those problems with a few patches...and that's the point I made...which seems you understood.  :)

I'd actually liken WS's combat more to GW2 than SWTOR, though.  Unfortunately, I still don't like the combat in GW2.  It's not really floaty or clunky anymore, but it still just doesn't feel right to me.  That's kind of the impressions WS gives me based on everything out about it right now.

I do like that ESO's combat is going to be more 'power' management and not GCD based.  I think that will keep me looking more at my surroundings than looking at my hot bar like 99% of all other traditional MMOs that I've tried.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

I have played ESO and seen Wildstar through videos over its development. Each video I see of Willdstar makes it seem more and more like a WoW clone which there are plenty of out there and I do not wish to play another version of that game.

I want a game where I can explore and find things in the game world, for crafting to have a real purpose and to have pvp that has the open world feel of DAoC.

Not saying Wildstar is going to be a bad game just that it is not for me and I would rather play ESO which is a game I can see myself playing for the next 5 or more years. Wildstar has about 6 months tops play to it before hitting level cap and quitting because I don't like raids.

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I havnt played wildstar so I'll comment on ESO firstly. having played the beta and come to heads with a progression stopping bug I can't comment on anything above level 5.
    now I know it's 1-5 missions but there was no challenge and if it was preparing me for further gameplay I'm not convinced it will still be challenging.
    but what bothers me more about it is it's rating.. I would have loved more blood, boobs and swearing. meaning I'd like to see this game steered more towards an adult audience.

so now having said that, I have not delved into wildstar much BECAUSE it looks closer to a WoW clone than any other. I'm biased yes, but I'm done playing cartoons.
    I would hope that both wow and wildstar drag each other down (imagine the trolling!) only if they did choke it would open the flood gates of immature players upon the rest of us.
    long live wildstar! :P
    (I'll be playing ESO)
  • aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    They both look ok i guess, but why buy and pay for them when you could play WoW/GW2 instead ?
  • a6point6a6point6 Member UncommonPosts: 44

I cant compare the two games.

They got different approaches.

Wildstar follows the old typical raid ur arse off line.

And nomatter how much people think ESO is themepark, i dont.

With over 30 mmo's to date, and partying with the same irl person in all.

I find ESO new and refreshing. When u get past the starter isles, yourl never have to do a quest again if u dont want to.. Oh main storyline? well u dont have to do that either. So why do ppl say this game is on rail? Because they hate it actually has a good chance to succeed.

I can't wait to see what adventure zones is. but i got a feeling loot and difficulty raises per group size. from 2 players and upwards. You can create raids in eso if u want the raid feeling. But is absolutely not a must.

The economic driven system is gonna be awesome.

The crafting is gonna be awesome.

Just finding the hidden skilllines is gonna be awesome.

Wildstar in my eyes arent new. Its Wow mixed with Hellgate London system, and some lowwork exploration. The humor even though its a nice addition aint enough to make this game work for me. For me and the 30'ish hours i got in it, im gonna take ESO everyday. Yeah the first 5-8hours in ESO works slow, but damn it pickups and then i was sold. so in 10 hours eso i was hooked, and in 30 hour WS i was turned off.

• kingsatanaskingsatanas Member Posts: 31
    if yu dont have money to play a mmo game then dont play it ther ton of online mmo game yu can get for free 60$ for a new game are justified people doesnt work  for air yu cannot feed yur employment with air  if yu dont have money then dont play it go play with yurself or buy a pizza instead
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Orious
    The WoW crowd is Wildstar's intended audience, which is why the devs welcome the comparison.

Only the WoW crowd that wants to go back to worse graphics for landscapes than WoW actually has... and with the next WoW expansion, character graphics of WoW will be better too.

I don't see many WoW player migrating to Wildstar. And if Blizzard are smart (which they proved over and over again that they are), they will release Warlords of Draenor at the same time than Wildstar, and I think I know exactly what will happen... another sub-par WoW clone will hit the dust.

I agree that the landscapes look really, really bad texture-wise and some look like 256x256 stretched to a maximum to fit a rock that consists of four polygons. Nothing looks crisp or defined. "But its their style! its not bad, its stylised"...no, it's cheap development. Ans it's most likely supposed to run on every kid's PC...again.

Flora goes like 50m and after that everything is flat and washed out. Not going to say the game looks bad in general, but some of their graphics looks like they went the cheapest way possible.

I tried to turn a blind eye on that when i saw videos and pictures and every stream i watched i asked "are these maximum settings?!" Now after having played it myself, it screamed into my face and i can't get over it.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I have to put my money into ESO. Wildstar is a great game for people who believe that MMO is a genre of games that should always have the same elements as other MMOs.  Wildstar has the feel of Star Wars without the great story and more hammered in MMO mechanics of past.  ESO made me feel like the quests I did were important. If I was asked to do something its because the npc couldn't do it. In wildstar, i'm left wondering like i was with other MMOs, "what you're asking me to do this, why cant you." The zones don't feel alive. They feel like they are just waiting for me to come along and kill this many things. 

Originally posted by angriel
    Wildstar and ESO are the two biggest gaming surprises for me. Because I could bet everything I have that I will play Wildstar and don't even touch ESO. And after beta weekend in ESO - well, I'm in love, I can't wait to play the game. And after yesterday in Wildstar... biggest disappointment ever. But I have to admit: they have the best PR & marketing team. 

If you would have told me a few months ago that I'd be wanting to play ESO over Wild Star I'd have smacked you.  My opinion has completely flipped. Plus I have more faith now that ESO won't be going FTP realizing that the Betheda powerhouse is behind them. I'm not sure if they are on square level but I'd be that they could stand to take a loss until the game is profitable. 

• HighriseHighrise Member Posts: 2

I've played extensively in the beta for both games and i'm afraid to say that Wildstar just will not hold my attention. Whilst playing it when it is free is one thing, I certainly won't drop any cash on it, regardless of whether any of my friends play it; I just think it sucks hard compared to TESO.

This is of course just my opinion, not a statement of fact. No need to get bent out of shape about it. :)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    WildStar is unashamed to be an MMORPG. It has one hand holding many traditional elements while having the other grasped upon new elements. ESO feels like a dumbed down multiplayer Skyrim and has at times attempted to distance itself from being called an MMO. My choice is clear, I'm betting on WildStar.

This.

Im personally uninterested in both. Because I am waiting for MMOs to finally leave 2004.

But If MMO is what you want. Its Wildstar

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Originally posted by RogueCaster
    Wildstar is a NCsoft game. NCsoft will never see another dime from me. Ever! Period.

This about some hero game? I have a friend that complained about that when I mentioned NCSoft

I'm the exact same way. I refuse to give NCSoft another dime because of the City of Heroes fiasco. As far as myself and many others are concerned, it wasn't a hero game, it was THE hero game.

<3

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58
    Not impressed with either of these games, but if I had to choose one it would be the one with housing and better combat, not the one who seems to have been designed around some old PVP MMO from way back when.

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Both games are fail themeparks, I will pass until free to play or not at all.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

ESO is more expensive but ill rather pay more for a better game.

ill only play wild star when their is nothing else to play so maybe after EQN.

I hope for their sake no more mmos releases.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Is there a point to even watching a fight over a stagnant oasis of carnival rides that we've all had the opportunity to ride before?
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318

ESO offers all new things, Wildstar offers nothing new and the graphics are for children and when its released you will all be crying because all the players a so young. ESO is going to take all the adult players and Wildstar will take all the babies and that's just a fact. Sorry everyone its a sad truth, plus ESO will be cross platform adding a broader community. ESO 16+ Wildstar 7+ its WoW all over and the humor is awful....Enjoy!! And  ESO and everquest 2 are completly different because of being 2 different time periods for example there not even adding a AH which is awsome and will keep the babies out alone..hopefully. And this is just what ESO is released with HAH. If wildstar wants to compete they need to step there game up with advertising as well because there not posted on many sites and nobody I know has even heard about the game even most I dont know on other forums. I will bet that most people who play wildstar will end up back at wow in 3-6 months and WoW will add any feature that wildstar offers. They cant do that with ESO because they went in a total different direction then WoW ever went so it will have more loyal players. ESO will be the new game its player come back to and EQN will be the game the players leave for.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Sorry for the rant but I was really pissed when I seen the stupid direction they took Wildstar but im not Biased at all im not even and TES fan.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Both miss the mark. ESO's starter area is less bad the Wildstars. I was able to get out of ESO's starting area and start AvA. Wildstar's starting area is a buzz killing behemoth that has defeated me twice. Therefore I will play ESO. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"