Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts on instant porting to instances?

Comments

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Before release: "We want a huge world to explore with vast fields and plains!"

After release: "This is stupid I have a job and family and only 1 hour to play give me instant warp derp derp!!"

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Ghern

The definition of "playing the game" can be different from player to player.

Yep, that is why I like instance porting.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Nope. Never. I enjoy walking/running around IN the world. Too bad you despise it so much you feel it is a "chore."Standing about and chatting IS part of the game.

It is very simple, when I have 1-1,5 hour to play, I really do not want to spend 1 hour on trying to get a group together and walking.

It might be a part of the game but there is no need to impose it onto people in situations when they do not need or want to do it.

Instance porting is a godsend.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I started MMOs back in the days to play in what they advertized with: a open digital world.

A instanced MMO is not a MMO imo, it's just like a shooter, you join a lobby and from there on you engage in a PVE/PVP minimatch.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Muke

A instanced MMO is not a MMO imo, it's just like a shooter, you join a lobby and from there on you engage in a PVE/PVP minimatch.

Instance content was created to get away from griefers.

Non-griefers l-o-v-e instances.

/flex

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Raid night on EQ used be so much fun in just getting to the raid without half your raid wipeing. Untill raid banner system came you had to use wizzy or druid port and they would often be in another zone .
  • EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Instant porting to instances. 3 things wrong in that. Instant, teleporting and instancing. 

Any game gets immediately +10 from me if it's features state that there is and never will be no instant travelling nor instancing.

Invention of instances has killed more of immersion, realm pride and community feeling than anything since. 

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• DiodemDiodem Member Posts: 52

Instance teleporting killed the game world in WoW, and it will kill the game world in any game.

It was completely moronic to remake the gameworld in wow just to leave it dead because everyone is standing in a city waiting for a teleport....

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

Some instant raids are a good thing as it helps guild that have a lot of new member get geared up . But i belive there should be some of the more powerfull mobs still in open world/open dungeon that should be there for everybody to fight over.

I rember when we were building our new raiding guild we decided to kill the elf queen tuare which ment clearing the entire zone of mobs and back then that would take about 3 hours only to get wiped on the queen and as we were recovering for another try another guild came and stole the queen . Even though the loot from the queen ment very little to the raid guild that took her it would of ment a lot to us but they did it so we wouldnt be able to progress and take some of the mobs they had on farm. Instances stoped most of that and in all made EQ a better game but they went too far and removed all the open world bosses.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

For someone like me with only got 2 hours a day to spend on MMOS.

I absolutely love this feature.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    On days i only have an hour or two to play, i focus my time on activities that only take a short amount of time, such as crafting, gathering, faction grinding or other solo activities.

On days with more time, i focus on more time consuming and group based activities.

Few seem to understand how to do this anymore, but this is why i prefer virtual worlds such as EVE, plenty of activities to focus on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

My earliest experiences were with WoW's meeting stones that required two players to make the trip to summon the other group members.  Alternatively, a warlock in the group could portal a group member in the same way.  If a player left the group, two members would have to go outside and use the meeting stone to summon the replacement member.

I know most players today would find the whole process abhorrent, whether it's the purest "everybody should have to show up on foot" crowd or the "everybody should be instantly ported inside the instance" crowd, but the meeting stone way is the one that feels the most "right" to me.  But then, groups are formed much differently now than they were seven years ago.  Back then most groups for non-max level content were put together among strangers in the zone where the dungeon took place, using zone chat.  Or perhaps you put a group of three or four together in zone and somebody had a friend or two they knew might want to run the dungeon with them.  So it wasn't usually the case that the nearest two people were half an hour away... it was usually no more than a couple of minutes.

It was a little different at max level, because players were often starting from a city, but then in raids there were still often a couple people out in the world who were much closer.  If nothing else, players who wanted to travel to the raid/dungeon the "traditional" way could volunteer to do so (I was usually one of these people), and those who couldn't be arsed to do so could wait for a summons.  And while it took some time to get everybody there, people didn't expect 20-minute runs back then either.

The whole "Is anybody near the stone?" and "Let us know when you're ready (for a summon)" dialog, as pointless as it seems, was interaction between players.  People so underappreciate how even the tiniest bit of interaction can snowball into a much more positive thing.  It's why, while there is no going back to the way it used to be, the introduction of handholding mechanisms on the minimap was IMO a devastating thing to social interaction.  "Can anyone tell me where I can find Echeyakee?" might lead to some jerk responses, but it would also lead to players helping other players.  It doesn't mean that they would put each other on their friends lists or even ever interact again, but it helped create a positive social atmosphere.  Those opportunities are sadly gone forever.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Gormogon

My earliest experiences were with WoW's meeting stones that required two players to make the trip to summon the other group members.  Alternatively, a warlock in the group could portal a group member in the same way.  If a player left the group, two members would have to go outside and use the meeting stone to summon the replacement member.

I know most players today would find the whole process abhorrent, whether it's the purest "everybody should have to show up on foot" crowd or the "everybody should be instantly ported inside the instance" crowd, but the meeting stone way is the one that feels the most "right" to me.  But then, groups are formed much differently now than they were seven years ago.  Back then most groups for non-max level content were put together among strangers in the zone where the dungeon took place, using zone chat.  Or perhaps you put a group of three or four together in zone and somebody had a friend or two they knew might want to run the dungeon with them.  So it wasn't usually the case that the nearest two people were half an hour away... it was usually no more than a couple of minutes.

It was a little different at max level, because players were often starting from a city, but then in raids there were still often a couple people out in the world who were much closer.  If nothing else, players who wanted to travel to the raid/dungeon the "traditional" way could volunteer to do so (I was usually one of these people), and those who couldn't be arsed to do so could wait for a summons.  And while it took some time to get everybody there, people didn't expect 20-minute runs back then either.

The whole "Is anybody near the stone?" and "Let us know when you're ready (for a summon)" dialog, as pointless as it seems, was interaction between players.  People so underappreciate how even the tiniest bit of interaction can snowball into a much more positive thing.  It's why, while there is no going back to the way it used to be, the introduction of handholding mechanisms on the minimap was IMO a devastating thing to social interaction.  "Can anyone tell me where I can find Echeyakee?" might lead to some jerk responses, but it would also lead to players helping other players.  It doesn't mean that they would put each other on their friends lists or even ever interact again, but it helped create a positive social atmosphere.  Those opportunities are sadly gone forever.

totally agree that game is so anti social now it's sad.. other than guild chat and trade chat most others are deserted. and it really makes a game world that used to feel very alive feel empty and dead. there are'nt even any tough mobs around that you used to have to group up for.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

Okay, I see both sides but I land on in favor of porting to dungeons/instances.  Reason is there are far more dungeons in games than there ever was.  Getting there, well...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    Instant porting to intances = crap game

+2........

• In some cases it's good, but generally it's bad because it compromises the overall game experience by reducing the virtual world aspect many players expect from an MMO.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Diodem

Instance teleporting killed the game world in WoW, and it will kill the game world in any game.

It was completely moronic to remake the gameworld in wow just to leave it dead because everyone is standing in a city waiting for a teleport....

Right .. just get rid of the game world, and it will be a better game .. or just keep the city as the lobby like Marvel Heroes.

Originally posted by jonesing22
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Absolutely love it.

This is even more useful if the instances have to be done again and again. I am not a fan of walking the SAME route to the SAME place again and again. That is just plain boring for me.

You're still thinking along the lines of repeating dungeons over and over, but if the instance in today's games were actually dungeons you wouldn't repeat them over and over.

that is a fair point. That is why i don't mind walking short distances in SP games where interesting things are scripted to happen. But still, i don't play SKYRIM because it demands too much walking in empty spaces, so to keep my interests, walking with nothing to do needs to be kept at a minimum.

A second point is that MMORPGs are more like ARPGs now where the key gameplay is action combat, in repeatable (or random) dungeons. In this case, don't make me walk. I don't walk in D3, and i don't want to walk in a MMO.

Originally posted by Eluwien

Invention of instances has killed more of immersion, realm pride and community feeling than anything since. 

Immersion is not as important to me as convenience, and fun combat.

I don't play games for "realm pride or community". In fact, x-server, and lobby that link up everyone is a good thing. I don't want artificial boundaries like a server.

So yeah, instances is a good thing for me.

Originally posted by Muke

That is just semantics. The meaning of MMO obviously have changed if D3 and LoL are listed here.

However, you are welcome to use another term to describe the games. I would prefer a ARPG with a lobby, and many "MMOs" are going that route.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Porting to dungeons (or anywhere, really) works fine in some MMO's. Neverwinter's entire game is designed around porting, none of the zones flow into each other.

If the game is designed more like a virtual world, then porting can have a very bad effect on the world, because it removes players from the open world zones. I prefer "virtual worlds" over lobbies, so I generally hate porting anywhere.

• KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119

I don't enjoy the insta-porting mechanics, personally, but I remember why they're there.

Trying to lead a raid through Siren's Grotto in EQ1 was the most frustrating thing ever.  Having sixty or seventy competent people waiting around at Temple of Veeshan for the better part of two hours while rogues and necromancers recovered corpses because the other thirty-some-odd people couldn't remember the way through the zone was just... argh.

And it only got worse with later expansions, even with the porting stones in Plane of Knowledge.  Getting people through Omens of War zones was a nightmare of epic proportions.  When the World of Warcraft beta finally had the NDA drop and everyone found out that there were meeting stones and raid instances you didn't have to spend two hours clearing trash in every day, and actually saved your progress, they were pretty happy.  I don't recall anyone NOT being happy about that.

Long-term side-effect has obviously been the degeneration of the greater MMO community, at least on the PvE side of things.  So I'm not sure the trade was worth it, but I remember why it was made and I remember thinking it was a wonderful idea at the time.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Gadareth
    I have seen some fast travel solutions I liked. Firstly the model used EQ where you could be teleported to set locationd Druid rings and wizard spires. Fun this about these were it also gave the wizbangs and druids some cash. Inclusding some who set themselves a teleport route and basically acted as a public transport service.LOTRO also had a good version where once the majority of the party arrived at the sute they could use a summoning stone to summon missing party members.
    I, too, loved EQ's system. Why? Because NOT everybody and their dog could do it. It was a unique power to only certain classes. Players HAD to seek out other players and work TOGETHER in order to get someplace quickly. A few times, my Bard even got "taxi duty" as people needed to go someplace quickly and Selo's Accelerando was the fastest overland travel "spell/song" in the game.

City of Heroes had a whole Supergroup (named "The Taxi-Bots") on my server dedicated to helping other players travel quickly across zones with the teleportation travel power. It was NOT a click on a pre-determined point and go, but rather teleporting across the zone by clicking in the air and teleporting your group to that spot, then clicking again in the air further along.

These player INTERDEPENDENT forms of fast travel I like. It brings communities together instead of apart as the instant travel to places do that so many games implement today.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Gdemami
    Originally posted by AlBQuirkyNope. Never. I enjoy walking/running around IN the world. Too bad you despise it so much you feel it is a "chore."Standing about and chatting IS part of the game.

It is very simple, when I have 1-1,5 hour to play, I really do not want to spend 1 hour on trying to get a group together and walking.

It might be a part of the game but there is no need to impose it onto people in situations when they do not need or want to do it.

Instance porting is a godsend.

It sounds like you don't want an MMO experience, then. Maybe a console FPS lobby game or MOBAs are more to your time-allotment time frame?

That is what I'd like to say.

Truth is, more and more players feel the way you do. "I don't have the time to actually PLAY a game, but here goes anyway..." Really, I have no problem with that attitude. What I have a problem with, is that that very attitude has single-handedly destroyed a gaming genre I used love.

But what can I say? That is where the money is. Congratulations.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

It sounds like you don't want an MMO experience, then. Maybe a console FPS lobby game or MOBAs are more to your time-allotment time frame?

Correct. A ARPG lobby game is more to my preference than a traditional MMOs.

However, it is not my problem that devs want to make MMOs catering to my taste, and lure me to their games. So if MMOs are trending towards more like lobby ARPG, i am more than happy to oblige and give them some of my time.