Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts on instant porting to instances?

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I'm not a fan of this type of system. I don't mind LFG, grouping you up, but when they just port you inside the instance I don't like at all.

I stopped playing WoW before the LFD/LFR and instant porting to the dungeon, but the most fun I had was running to Molten core and BWL and PvPing on the way there. Now it seems like these MMO's at end game are just sitting in a major city waiting for your BG/Arena/Dungeon/Raid to POP up and you're off. It's just like an online lobby in a MOBA or FPS.

Where is the exploration and world PvP now if everyone is just sitting inside the city?

I know people like it because it's get in a go! But what happened to the social aspect and fun of taking your horse all over the zones?

I guess I'm turning into that old dude screaming 'GET OFF MY LAWN YOU KIDS"

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

So, this is really just a rant about world PvP being marginalized in theme park MMOs.

Why not just make a topic about that?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Absolutely hate it.  

While dungeon finders have many pros and cons, this is easily the worst con.  I think creating a sense of geographical continuity of the world is essential to immersion and the MMO experience, and instant teleportation to dungeons as soon as they become available to you completely ruins that.  

I felt so bad for new players in WoW when they released the dungeon finder because those players would be thrown into dungeons like Deadmines and Scarlet Monestary without having any idea where those dungeons were in the world, why they were there, who the bad guys were, or what their purpose was.  They might as well be teleported to another dimension, completely unrelated to the game as a whole.  

I'm all for ease of transportation.  I just think it should be a part of the game's progression, something players have to earn (other than gear, gear, and more gear).  There eventually comes a time among veterans where the travel no longer adds anything to the experience.  They're already well aware of the dungeon's location and context.  The immersion has been absorbed.  

But new players should absolutely be required to explore their way to new dungeons their first time, at the very least.  At the most, like I said, make faster transportation, such as teleportation to a nearby location, a reward that can be earned at some point along the leveling path.  I think this both feels good and is to the general benefit of the player.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Absolutely love it.

This is even more useful if the instances have to be done again and again. I am not a fan of walking the SAME route to the SAME place again and again. That is just plain boring for me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

hate it.

I prefer Vanguard's mode of travel which is to use travel stones (or whatever they are called) that can put you into an area but you still have to travel.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37

I miss the old EQ days of doing /ooc LFG

Sure it sometimes took forever but it worked and you could pick and choose the people you knew and wanted to group with.

It actually forced people to be cool to one another otherwise you may not find a group if you were a known A$$ hole.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

This may be a shock, but not everyone plays on a PvP server. So the argument that is diminishes world PvP is irrelevant to the large portion of players because they aren't PvPing anyways.

I do think the player should at least travel to the dungeon location at least once to see where it is in the world tho to unlock it in dungeon finder.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by fierce750

I miss the old EQ days of doing /ooc LFG

Sure it sometimes took forever but it worked and you could pick and choose the people you knew and wanted to group with.

It actually forced people to be cool to one another otherwise you may not find a group if you were a known A$$ hole.

I actually liked when, in Lineage 2, you had to fight your way through several valleys to Antharas's Cave (Antharas was a huge dragon).

Not only was it dangerous to go to this popular leveling spot but but there were a few reasons to be there such as getting a certain blood sample for one of your clan quests.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Instant porting to intances = crap game
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

I'm not a fan of this type of system. I don't mind LFG, grouping you up, but when they just port you inside the instance I don't like at all.

I stopped playing WoW before the LFD/LFR and instant porting to the dungeon, but the most fun I had was running to Molten core and BWL and PvPing on the way there. Now it seems like these MMO's at end game are just sitting in a major city waiting for your BG/Arena/Dungeon/Raid to POP up and you're off. It's just like an online lobby in a MOBA or FPS.

Where is the exploration and world PvP now if everyone is just sitting inside the city?

I know people like it because it's get in a go! But what happened to the social aspect and fun of taking your horse all over the zones?

IMO all those world pvp server awesomeness claims were hurt when TBC came out.  On TBC release day,  pvp server should have been zone to zone pvp interupting pve.  But no, it was as if a defacto peace treaty had been established.  NOTE for the retentive:  I didn't say there was zero pvp but not as much as you would imagine there would be in that IDEAL world pvp situation.  People wanted to level more than pvp.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Originally posted by nariusseldon

Absolutely love it.

This is even more useful if the instances have to be done again and again. I am not a fan of walking the SAME route to the SAME place again and again. That is just plain boring for me.

You're still thinking along the lines of repeating dungeons over and over, but if the instance in today's games were actually dungeons you wouldn't repeat them over and over.

Maybe it's a good idea if you are repeating content over and over, but my point is that you shouldn't need to repeat content over and over.  For the OP, No I don't like the dungeon teleport systems. I actually quit Rift when it was released and tried wow with it but quit around level 40 due to it being a boring dungeon grind. I'm not primarily a PVPer either, but there is no reason to have a game world or lore with these dungeon teleporters in place.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Well, no reason to build a world if you are going to let players do this.

I prefer playing in a virtual worlds so overuse of fast travel is a negative for me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    I'm a fan of this type of system.

"Where is the exploration and world PvP now if everyone is just sitting inside the city?"

Exploration only lasts so long until you get 100% of it done then it becomes boring really fast!

People (griefers) are out and about in most mmo's, any that sit in a city are most likely bored of it anyway!

I guess I'm turning into that old dude screaming 'MOW MY LAWN WHILE YOU KIDS ARE OUT THERE!!!"

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Hate it.
  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227

AoC was rather epic when two raids were forming up at the same time for the same instances, world pvp with a purpose has always been my favorite parts of games... not to mention if you died in the raid you didn't get a hug, no.. not by a long shot; you rez'ed outside the raid and were fair game for pvp.

Porting to instances is just another reason why pvp in most games is simply ganking... no one is in the open world for anything.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

yeah i'm not a fan of it.. mmo's are best played when you're not sitting on your ass waiting for stuff to happen..

but there would have to be plenty of reasons to be out and about for people to be ok with it since when you've done exploring it's not really that fun being out in the world anymore... perhaps having various quest hubs and events etc nearby could do the trick.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I don't think it is a good thing, but for cross servers instances it has become the way to go.

I honestly think cross server and teleport to instances should be removed.  People should walk in and out together and if you act an ass you don't come back. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

If you didn't know this already, It is "exploration" only the first time. After that, it becomes a commute. Also, people prefer instanced PvP over world PvP. More good quality action and less time wasting.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Well, no reason to build a world if you are going to let players do this. I prefer playing in a virtual worlds so overuse of fast travel is a negative for me.
    Exactly my feelings on the subject. I dislike Neverwinter because there is no world to explore. It is just a bunch of instances connected by portals.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

Hate it.

It turns an MMORPG into a lobby game.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I love it. I bet everyone claiming how they hate it are using it as well :-p

If I had to chose between pointlessly standing at the entrance to the dungeon, waiting for the group to form up, either via group finder or futile spamming chat, or I could just be off to actually play the game, it is no brainer what one would prefer.

All the talks how evil the mechanics is is just hyporcisy.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Gdemami
    I love it. I bet everyone claiming how they hate it are using it as well :-pIf I had to chose between pointlessly standing at the entrance to the dungeon, waiting for the group to form up, either via group finder or futile spamming chat, or I could just be off to actually play the game, it is no brainer what one would prefer.All the talks how evil the mechanics is is just hyporcisy.
    Nope. Never. I enjoy walking/running around IN the world. Too bad you despise it so much you feel it is a "chore."

Standing about and chatting IS part of the game.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

If I had to chose between pointlessly standing at the entrance to the dungeon, waiting for the group to form up, either via group finder or futile spamming chat, or I could just be off to actually play the game, it is no brainer what one would prefer.

All the talks how evil the mechanics is is just hyporcisy.

The definition of "playing the game" can be different from player to player.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

I stopped playing WoW before the LFD/LFR and instant porting to the dungeon, but the most fun I had was running to Molten core and BWL and PvPing on the way there.

Now instances are continents away or even under water. You won't even get people to come to dungeon or raid without a port there. Mages and Warlocks class perks exist for a reason, as well as portals to get to zones without them (especially at 3am, when they're asleep).

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

I have seen some fast travel solutions I liked. Firstly the model used EQ where you could be teleported to set locationd Druid rings and wizard spires. Fun this about these were it also gave the wizbangs and druids some cash. Inclusding some who set themselves a teleport route and basically acted as a public transport service.

LOTRO also had a good version where once the majority of the party arrived at the sute they could use a summoning stone to summon missing party members.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Nope. Never. I enjoy walking/running around IN the world. Too bad you despise it so much you feel it is a "chore."

I'm with you on that, but sadly it seems that the porting-supporter group is a wast majority nowadays.

Actually, I don't entirely mind the aspect of quickened travels, for example I liked LotRO's mechanics of mustering horns, rally horns, campfires, etc. With smartly utilise them you could shorten the time for the fellowship to get near the instances. Near, not into them... And then came the instance finder.

I have to admit, this "standing in the vault and porting in and out of instances" way is a big thumbs down from me too.

edit: slow typer here, Gadareth was faster :)