Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: The New Social Side Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Diablo III site has been updated with a new blog post that lays out the details on the upcoming Clans & Communities features that will arrive with patch v2.0.1. Clans will function much like guilds, will require an invitation to join and be limited to 120 members. Communities are much larger and more casual. They can be centered on class, geographic location or any other way that players choose to identify themselves. 

The Clan & Community functionality will feature several tabs including: Message of the Day, Roster, Clan/Community Information, and Leader Information. Clans will also have additional tabs: Items, Achievements, Member Joined, Member Left, Member Promoted.

The post also gives players an inside look at how to join Clans or Communities and at additional features that can be found on some of the interface tabs.

Get a look at the entire article on the Diablo III site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I have great doubts that they can resurrect this franchise after they complete bungled the job with the original Diablo III game.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    it still has the best combat out of the recent crop of Diablo'est games, nice and meaty, truth is D3 can only get better and its going in the right direction that's for sure.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by expresso
    it still has the best combat out of the recent crop of Diablo'est games, nice and meaty, truth is D3 can only get better and its going in the right direction that's for sure.

This. ^^

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Sounds good but lets hope the game has turned around for the better.
  • AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I suggest trying out the prt where this and the new loot rules are in place, oh and no AH! They really are going in the right direction with the game, finally.
  • flying_mosquitoflying_mosquito Member Posts: 1

New social features that nobody asked for. What about the PVP that was advertised in 2011? Reaper of Souls is taking more things away then it's giving.

auction removed

all items bind on account

no more gold trading

no ladders

Costs £60 (more than vanilla)

If you're a casual player stay far away, you will never get the top 1% gear without trading, or the highest paragon.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SBFord
    The Diablo III site has been updated with a new blog post that lays out the details on the upcoming Clans & Communities features that will arrive with patch v2.0.1. Clans will function much like guilds, will require an invitation to join and be limited to 120 members. Communities are much larger and more casual. They can be centered on class, geographic location or any other way that players choose to identify themselves. 
    The Clan & Community functionality will feature several tabs including: Message of the Day, Roster, Clan/Community Information, and Leader Information. Clans will also have additional tabs: Items, Achievements, Member Joined, Member Left, Member Promoted.
    The post also gives players an inside look at how to join Clans or Communities and at additional features that can be found on some of the interface tabs.
    Get a look at the entire article on the Diablo III site.

From what i just read, clans serve no functional benefit other than adding another IRC channel?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by flying_mosquito

New social features that nobody asked for. What about the PVP that was advertised in 2011? Reaper of Souls is taking more things away then it's giving.

auction removed

all items bind on account

no more gold trading

no ladders

Costs £60 (more than vanilla)

If you're a casual player stay far away, you will never get the top 1% gear without trading, or the highest paragon.

Only 'smart drops' and legendaries are BOA, the rest can be traded freely. Furthermore, didn't people like you complain nonstop about the AH, claiming it ruined the game, and blah blah blah?

The cost you listed is for the collector's edition. Try again.

You have brawling. But then again, that's not what you mean, is it? You want to gank people who are just trying to level up or find gear. Sorry, but that's not going to happen. Furthermore Diablo has never been about PvP, no matter how much you and a few diehards might try to say otherwise.

In short, your post is full of it. I really wish you people would just move on if you don't like the game. Sacred 3 is out this summer, go nitpick that to death please, and let us enjoy D3.

Edit: You talk about ladders, then complain about the '1%'? Even though only the most fanatical players (1%, funnily enough) will EVER place on them? Hypocrite much?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317
    until they make it so any class can use any weapon i am not interested. In Diablo 2 i loved having a necromancer walking around with a giant unique scythe named "The Grim Reaper"
  • RexersRexers Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I love D3...but I'm not happy about the AH being removed. I will have to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how all of this comes together. I was among the few (so it seems based on the negativity) who played D3 hardcore for a long long time and may still be playing if I hadn't died and could not bring myself to start again :)
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

This. ^^

Not even remotely close to this anymore. The combat in D3 is good the animation and weight are the only thing the game has going for it. That being said the combat in Marvel Heroes is not only equal imo but superior. The combat animations are amazing, combat has weight, the ragdoll effects are awesome, and the environments are far more destructable than in D3. Torchlight 2 is animated just as well as D3, though the overall graphic aesthetic is a little too cartoony for me. Now POE, you have a point. POE's combat is bland, the animations crap, no skill in POE feels like there is any weight behind it.

I loved D1, I loved D2. I bought D3 blindly based on its predecessors reputation. Its one of the worst purchased I've ever made in game. I see what POE has done, and I'm amazed because that was made by a few guys in a garage in New Zealand on a shoestring budget. Its still a better game by far than D3. I see what Torchlight 2 did and its a better game all around than D3. My complain about Torchlight 2 is they abandoned it after launch. I Tried Marvel Heroes originally and it was garbage in my mind. A friend told to give it another shot they turned the game around amazingly. I reluctantly did, and I was astonished. Its the single best ARPG on the market at the moment. The game turned itself completely around in 7 months from one of the worst, to the best by a long shot. Marvel Heroes does more in 1 patch in 1 month, than D3 has done in 2 years.

This expansion is crap. It accomplishes nothing as the game isn't even salvagable. The fact that it took them 2 years to fix the loot, The fact that there are things they advertised thing on the box that STILL aren't in the game, the fact that the class design is the complete antithesis of what an arpg should be, the fact...of screw it, its not even worth it. If you buy this expansion you're paying for 1 class and 1 new act. Marvel heroes gives you a new class for free every month, and 6 months after release a new act for free. Face it guys, if you bought this game for the PC the only thing you did was pay to be a beta tester for the superior version, the console version. Enjoy paying twice for what you should have gotten when you bought the original box, oh wait you haven't even gotten what you originally paid for.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

My motto for the last six months was "no ladder = no thanks".  I stick by it.

Their decision to go mostly BoA is a HUGE mistake.  Blizzard South really never understood or appreciated what they had with Diablo 2.  And it's carried over to D3. 

D3 :RoS sales will show us exactly how much of an impact the Diablo name alone had on sales and how satisfied the customer base will be.  The expansion looks pretty small so no matter what happens they are still going to bank a LOT of cash.

Right now, Marvel Heroes is the closest thing to a D2 successor I've found.  POE had strong ideas but poor execution with their art/engine/combat design.  Marvel Heroes still has lots of warts but it improves every month AND the devs actually communicate.  And frankly, I have a lot of fun improving my character every day with their various AA systems.  D3 just became about farming gold for the AH.  The absolute worst system ever in an ARPG.

Wyatt and Travis mainly talk about cool ideas and then pull back on them.  They are either in way over their heads or get stymied by the suits.

Adding a ladder will not be enough to get me to buy the expansion at this point.  They'll need to reconsider their economy as they've pulled way too far to the other side due to their fear of 3rd party sites.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I really wanted to like D3. I am fairly certain I would if it didn't take me over 3 months to find a Legendary that ended up being  worse than the magic gear I had equipped (blue piece). If they can fix itemization I would play. According to the forums for Reaper Beta drops are better but still too low.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Raagnarz

This. ^^

Not even remotely close to this anymore. The combat in D3 is good the animation and weight are the only thing the game has going for it. That being said the combat in Marvel Heroes is not only equal imo but superior. The combat animations are amazing, combat has weight, the ragdoll effects are awesome, and the environments are far more destructable than in D3. Torchlight 2 is animated just as well as D3, though the overall graphic aesthetic is a little too cartoony for me. Now POE, you have a point. POE's combat is bland, the animations crap, no skill in POE feels like there is any weight behind it.

I love Marvel Heroes, but no the combat is not quite as smooth and fun as D3's.  D3 has that one aspect perfect as they always do.  They always have smooth game play and solid engines.  They just have a boring skill system and little incentive to keep playing like D2 had and Marvel Heroes has.

In order to get smooth combat in MH I had to turn off all other heroes spell effects.  I still get lag when approaching a boss fight in MM as well.  But they have a lot more than 4 measly players at a time so I cut them some slack.

Marvel Heroes has shown that it's not as difficult to add new heroes or game modes as Blizzard would have people think.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Raagnarz

This. ^^

I love Marvel Heroes, but no the combat is not quite as smooth and fun as D3's.  D3 has that one aspect perfect as they always do.  They always have smooth game play and solid engines.  They just have a boring skill system and little incentive to keep playing like D2 had and Marvel Heroes has.

In order to get smooth combat in MH I had to turn off all other heroes spell effects.  I still get lag when approaching a boss fight in MM as well.  But they have a lot more than 4 measly players at a time so I cut them some slack.

Marvel Heroes has shown that it's not as difficult to add new heroes or game modes as Blizzard would have people think.

I haven't had those problems with MH at all. I've never encountered any issues and runt he game on max settings on my primary PC. No doubt though my laptop doesn't handle it quite as well and has to run it on medium settings most of the time. I think the combat is just as fluid as D3, but you're right its probably not optimized as well. I can forgive that though since much like grinding gear games (POE), and runic games (Torchlight), Gazillion isn't a billion dollar company that sold 15 million copies of its game for $60 a pop.

Its amazing these small studios that have a fraction of blizzards wealth are putting out far superior games in almost every aspect. The more I try other arpg's by these other companies, the more disgusted at blizzard I am, especially when it comes to the diablo franchise. One class, one act, $40 more thank you. Marvel heroes 1-2 acts a year,  more endgame modes of play (pvp, terminal runs, xdefense runs (kind of like enfo's), and 10 man raids coming soon), one hero a month and 3-4 promised bonus heroes for a total of 15-20 heroes this year, and the price tag for all of that...free.

And just for the record, I gave POE $200 for no reason other than to support them. All I bought with it was extra stash and useless cosmetic effects. I gave MH over $100 so far (more to come) for the same. I'm happy to give money to games that are worth it, well in excess of what a game box price would have cost. However blizzard, particularly the diablo franchise, will get no support anymore. They are no longer real gamers and making games for gamers. They're great at churning out well polished excuses and mediocrity though, which is something I refuse to support and pay for. I'll gladly give it to their competition.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

Um that's pretty big opinion there.

Personally, I find D3's disconnect from its weapons to abilities to be well lazy programming.  Animation leave something to be desired and character builds are quite limited.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

But it dose not.  Its combat style is anything but ARPG, its wanna be ARPG with MMO components put into it.  It is 100% cool down based, and hit and run mechanics until you get IMBA geared and just face roll.

Its not reactionary when half the new mechanics in ROS are about unavoidable damage.  To say the combat is good you would have had to be wishing for a MMOARPG with its own version of soft-locking that works for a MMOARPG  Because that is what the game is it is not an ARPG.

Also go try out Marvel Heroes, then try Diablo 3.  I used to think the same thing, that while Marvel Heroes was fun Diablo 3 had better combat.  Tried out Diablo 3 again and realized how clunk and slow the game actually is.  (Unless you play a D3 Vanilla WW Barb)

• NextGemNextGem Member Posts: 42
    I played D3 when it was first realesed and I definitly got my moneys' worth. If you are interested in playing this title do not be misled by the jaded fans who downtalk it. With all of the new improvements the game has become even more playable. I for one enjoyed it far better than POE or TL2. The storyline and cinematics in themselves are awesome to watch. This new patch may just be the thing to bring me back.

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128

D3's upcoming expansion...umm...well...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

So much D3 hate by people here, do you realise Blizzard feeds off the hate. 

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Communities are much larger and more casual. They can be centered on class

My guild is called I AM A HOLY PALADIN.
    My avatar screams I AM A HOLY PALADIN.
    Thus, I AM A HOLY PALADIN!!!

Originally posted by kairel182

So much D3 hate by people here, do you realise Blizzard feeds off the hate. 

[mod edit]

I've seen very little constructive criticism here.  I have criticised Blizzard on many occasions just recently I posted about how disappointed I was with the $60 level boost in WoW.  I am like FOX news "fair and balanced" - j/k.  

I'll always give blizzard the benefit of the doubt because I think they've earned it, they cannot be expected to hit the nail on the head first time every time, sometimes it takes a few swings and they're swinging away on D3 while other studio's would have just put the hammer down and walked away.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    I've seen very little constructive criticism here. 

Have folks who consider me a fanboi here -- that's how absent WoW players are on MMORPG.com as no WoW forum regular would claim that -- and I doubt few folks are as critical of Blizzard/WoW over the years than I. I told the blues right in their face and unvarnished what I believe their actions have done or can do.

So "balance" is skewed as the population doesn't converge here much (I've been away from MMORPG.com for years too), but if I have to defend Blizzard because few do for "balance", well I'm just laughing at how times change so quickly in MMORPGs. o.O

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I have great doubts that they can resurrect this franchise after they complete bungled the job with the original Diablo III game.

From what I've heard and seen, it's going to be even worse.  They're making monsters scale with you, so we're going to have a repeat of Sacred II and Oblivion.  Apparently they think it's a good thing to be able to level from 1 to max without ever leaving the graveyards outside Tristram.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by NextGem
    I played D3 when it was first realesed and I definitly got my moneys' worth. If you are interested in playing this title do not be misled by the jaded fans who downtalk it. With all of the new improvements the game has become even more playable. I for one enjoyed it far better than POE or TL2. The storyline and cinematics in themselves are awesome to watch. This new patch may just be the thing to bring me back.

I've been following RoS progress for a while... and for a time I was excited.  Then Blizzard announced they'd be removing classic difficulties and implementing a monster scaling that matched Oblivion / Sacred 2--A formula that's been **proven** time and again to be what consumers hate.  Yet they do it anyway.  It's almost like they think they're exceptions to the rule, or else they really are trying to make the game as terrible as possible.

Sorry, but I don't know if I can take any more of their BS.