Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox One Performance

Preface: This isn't a Microsoft bashing post, as I've been a loyal Windows user since Win 95. Even before that as I was growing up in the 80's and early 90's, my step-father was a Windows user. So I've had Microsoft products in my home for as long as I can remember. Also, I haven't owned a console since the Atari Jaguar was released 20 years ago. I have zero interest in any sort of console war.

So, with that out of the way, I'm kinda shocked at the performance issues the Xbox One seems to be having. When I say "performance issues", I'm specifically talking about the system's inability to run new releases at 1080p. Games like Titanfall, Thief, and apparently even Destiny are going to run at resolutions less than 1080p on Xbox1. From what I've read, Thief on XB1 is only going to run at 900p, and Titanfall currently only runs at 792p. I've heard that the Destiny devs have come out and admitted that Destiny will run at different resolutions on PS4 and XB1, with the XB1 presumably being relegated to something less than 1080p. Meanwhile, the PS4 seems to have no problem running these games at true 1080p. I believe that the issue with the XB1 is that game devs simply can't get a solid frame rate on it at 1080p. 

Now, a lot of people will say this isn't that big of a deal. I've heard some mention that you really can't tell the difference in resolutions, or that the games are just as fun anyway so it won't matter. The XB1 games get "scaled up" to 1080p on your television anyway, so even if it's not true 1080p, it's really not that bad. My question is though, why on earth would anyone pay $100 more for clearly inferior hardware? When I buy electronics, vehicles, running shoes, etc., there's absolutely a price per performance equation factored into my purchase decision. I simply can't see myself paying more for a product that doesn't perform as well as a cheaper competitor. Also, if XB1 is having a hard time running current games at 1080p, what's going to happen in 3 or 4 years when game graphics are even more demanding? Will devs have to resort to running XB1 games at 576p or something? I don't think I've gamed with resolutions like that since the 90's. 

I'm a PC gamer and probably won't be picking up any console anytime soon, but if and when i do it certainly won't be an XB1. Destiny looks like something I could be interested in later in the year though, hence the research into consoles, (it's initially releasing as a console only title). I've heard that investors are asking Microsoft's new CEO to get out of console gaming all together, now I can see why. They seem to already be behind on the hardware and the system just barely came out. How they expect to compete in the future is a mystery to me. 

Comments

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I was able to purchase on pre order. I gave it about 2 weeks but ultimately i wasn't impressed, sold it. Not that there was anything wrong, it's just that it didn't really wow me for the money. I played bf4, I can tell you graphically it was flawed, in heavy battle, the xb1 would struggle and the screen would blurr, it happens on all systems though and some people may never even notice. Other bf4 problems were not the fault of xb1. All in all it's nice, but just not enough though.

With respect to Destiny, I would recommend you pick up a ps3 used. Bungie has hinted that it will be pushing the ps3 and xbox 360 to thier limits and the game will be no different on any of the consoles content wise.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

Basically, the PS4 has a GPU that is about 50% faster than that of the Xbox One.  If you optimize a game to run at 1080p on a PS4, then your choices for porting it to Xbox One are to run at a lower frame rate, run at a lower resolution, or reduce various other graphical settings.  Conversely, if you optimize it to run at 1080p on an Xbox One, what do you do with the extra GPU power for the PS4 version?  Do you simply accept that your game isn't going to look as good as your competitors'?

If you believe that the PS4 is going to end up with most of the market share, you probably optimize for the PS4 and regard the Xbox One as less important.  If you believe that the Xbox One is going to end up with most of the market share, you probably optimize primarily for the Xbox One.

It has been known for about a year that the PS4 would have much faster hardware in spite of a similar cost of production, though at the time we didn't know the retail pricing--though I can assure you that cost of production affects retail pricing.  Several months before launch, Microsoft had a series of PR-blunders in announcing user-unfriendly policies that they were subsequently forced to walk back, while Sony was mostly content to stay out of the way and talk about games.  And then we learned that the PS4 would cost $100 less than the Xbox One, and even launch slightly earlier.  If you're a game developer, which console do you expect to end up with most of the market share?  And which console do you primarily optimize your game for?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    The issue of xb1 is two fold ,dev and dev greed.how? Dev , dev for Ps4 and PC (pretty much the same then port to xb1 with the time left .but but ! Some are avail on ps4 .ha.aah !caught you drB!if I was dev ? I would still dev for PC with ps4 in mind and ignore ms rant ! Guess what: do game on xb1 look optimised for xb1 ? Nope ! They are not optimized for ps4 either .they are game coded for PC and then fiddled with till they fit in console! As you can imagine ,pretty much everything xb1 creator taught would help a lot ? Almost all of those won't be needed till uhd gaming is released on xb1
  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    The issue of xb1 is two fold ,dev and dev greed.how? Dev , dev for Ps4 and PC (pretty much the same then port to xb1 with the time left .but but ! Some are notre on ps4 .haaah !fought you drB!if I was dev ? I would still dev for PC with ps4 in mind and ignore ms rant ! Guess what doezms any game on xb1look optimiser for xb1 ? Nope ! They are not optimized for ps4 either .they are game coded for PC and then fiddled with till they fit ! As you can imagine ,pretty much everything xb1 creator taught would help a lot ? Almost all of those won't be needed till uhd gaming is released on xb1

Say again?

================

Metal Gear is also confirmed 720 on X1, plus lack of dynamic weather that the PS4 has.

But this really shouldn't surprise anyone, since the PS4's specs vs X1's specs was a massive repeat-topic before launch.