Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Daily" is the worst word in the genre.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I'm just going to say it. Flame all you want...

This trend of "daily quests" is absolutely ridiculous. It's lazy development - smelling of mind-numbing redundancy. It has to go.

Other than WoW, the following is the recipe for disaster.

#1. Daily Quests.

#2. Instanced PvP (Battlegrounds)

#3. Quest Hub to Quest Hub Progression

Comments

• arrannycarrannyc Member UncommonPosts: 7

I agree. Nothing burns me out faster than having to do daily quests especially if they are tied to reputation or reward.

To me, it is akin to having to sit down and do a bunch of chores before you can start doing what you really want to do in game.

I do realize that I don't really need to do them, but they are often tied to some sort of reward or progression.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    And it is exactly this type of restrictive progression that will destroy the freedom that ArcheAge once had.
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

This trend of "daily quests" is absolutely ridiculous. It's lazy development - smelling of mind-numbing redundancy. It has to go.

#1. Daily Quests.

#4. Achievements

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by SoulTrapOnSelf

#1. Daily Quests.

#4. Achievements

I dont know if achievements are a "terrible" thing, It gives you some way of differentiating yourself in a sea of gear clones.   They also give players some different goals or ideas of things to do in the game.

#5  Endgame.  

The games over, you've reached the end.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

#1. Daily Quests.

#4. Achievements

That's one of the few things I still play WoW for, as Holy paladins have really nothing to do this expansion...

Raiding, nope:  http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Siege_of_Orgrimmar/hps/

PvPing, nope: (US forums are down for patching) http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8427593497

Proving Grounds, nope: http://www.wowprogress.com/char_statistics/us/field.pg_healer

Even Swifty's healer is AFK: https://www.youtube.com/user/Sacredheals/discussion

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I will say that I enjoy the Daily and Monthly system in GW2, though. You basically complete the list of dailies and monthlies as you are doing other things. No quest hubs, no centralized location, no npcs to speak to. If there "has" to be a daily, at least the GW2 version isn't intrusive.

I agree though, in general, daily quests are just a cheap way to keep people logging in. At least for something like earning rep for a Netherdrake in WoW, you had a clear and defined goal to reach and had a number of ways to help reach that goal. For the most part though, dailies for the sake of dailies makes me want to vomit.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Why do you exclude WoW?  Do you feel they are doing something different or do you feel they simply dominating what niche there is?
  • SemibruceleeSemibrucelee Member Posts: 52
    Can I propose the term "skill reset" or is it too hardcore?
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

i don't think dalies are all that terrible.

They become terrible when valuable rewards are tied to them, or they're the only proper source of income.

They should give out little optional bonuses and extras, but never be a primary means of progression.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

There were no 'dailys' in the real SWG (pre cu).

You just logged in and had fun doing whatever you wanted to do.

A superior MMO compared to the mediocre ones we have to tolerate nowadays.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by zevian

#1. Daily Quests.

#4. Achievements

I dont know if achievements are a "terrible" thing, It gives you some way of differentiating yourself in a sea of gear clones.   They also give players some different goals or ideas of things to do in the game.

#5  Endgame.  

Agree on all of these. Achievements are terrible for me because they function as a big neon sign reminder that I'm playing a video game not participating  in a virtual world. Nothing wrecks my immersion faster than a bunch of moronic achievement spam. I mean, if there were just a few I could ignore them but recent games give you an achievement for everything. So annoying if you're a simulationist gamer like me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Dailies are fine in and of themselves. It's when they become mandatory or a necessity that it's not fun.

They should be in the game(s) but should be there for players to do when they want. There should always be options in MMORPGs. Just like Raiding. It's great, it should be in the game(s). But when it becomes mandatory, it's bad. The more options, the more things players can choose from to do, the better the game is.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by iridescence

#1. Daily Quests.

#4. Achievements

#5  Endgame.  

Agree on all of these. Achievements are terrible for me because they function as a big neon sign reminder that I'm playing a video game not participating  in a virtual world. Nothing wrecks my immersion faster than a bunch of moronic achievement spam. I mean, if there were just a few I could ignore them but recent games give you an achievement for everything. So annoying if you're a simulationist gamer like me.

But there's competition...

http://www.wowprogress.com/apoints/

And it's INSANELY challenging...

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=2336#comments

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by iridescence

#1. Daily Quests.

#4. Achievements

#5  Endgame.  

I will agree with your sentiment about achievements.   I dont think they are bad, but handing them out for anything and everything cheapens the meaning of the word.   yay you killed 10 boars, now 20, now, 30.    Instead of yay you killed 1000 boars.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I have no problem with dailies in that I have no problem with quests that you can repeat every day. What I do have a problem with is essentially mandatory dailies (to gain access to certain items/content) or dailies that are a "significant" portion of what the developers expect people to be doing for "fun."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

yeh .. they should have good one-time instance based single player quality quest content.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I despise dailies yes.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

#5  Endgame.  

this, thousand times this.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I too do not mind dailies at all when they are un-forced and actually rewarding.

GW2 I think does a great job of Daily/Monthly as you get to choose (with a limited set) your tasks to complete, get a reward for doing so, and make progress on Monthly goals at the same time.

Good blend of instant + longer term gratification. Good reward structure.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Smells like an "I don't like theme parks" or "I don't like new games" rant to me.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

I don't mind dailys...just as long as all your content updates don't consist of batches of new daily quests. I like the idea that you can do some structured quests to make currency . I agree they shouldn't be tied to anything vital for the game, such as required gear upgrades, resist gear, etc....

I don't understand whats so bad about battlegrounds, they are one of my favorite things in mmo's. A good place to take a break from the pve march to max lvl and try out how your class/build plays against other players. And achievments I never cared about, I don't think they make games worse...just personally don't care about them.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    When I play a game and get to the point where dailies and raiding opens up, I always quit in boredom.  It's what lazy developers put into a game to keep the "End-Game Sheeple" happy.  Mind you, the sheeple seem to lap it up. 
  • cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

#1. Daily Quests.

Yes

YES

YES

YES

If I could +10000000 this post I would.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Smells like an "I don't like theme parks" or "I don't like new games" rant to me.

Does anyone really prefer themeparks over an ideal sandbox game?  I think everyone would take the dynamic content over a static world with dailies repeated... well... daily.  Same thing, over and over.  

Now as for whining and complaining, I'm fine when people do it, because it means companies might take notice faster and figure out ways to really bring the proper dynamic sandbox into being, rather than all the turds that've released up to this point (Eve excluded, but that one has it's own pile of problems.)

That doesn't mean everyone hates themeparks.  I don't mind them.  I don't like them as much as the idea of a proper sandbox.  But if they're all I have to choose from, well, might as well have fun as I can.

But unless you actually like doing the same thing day after day (I don't know, maybe your worklife is super exciting so you just want a break from all that diversity and prefer to relax with a brain numbing shot of dailies,) I wouldn't get upset about someone ranting over themeparks.  More complaints = more change.  Maybe if there were more complaints, games like Archeage wouldn't pull SWG CUs and shoot themselves and their sandbox in the foot in an effort to be more WoW-like.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Spawnblade
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Does anyone really prefer themeparks over an ideal sandbox game?  <snip>

Based on the current MMO population...the answer is a resounding yes. Although to be fair...most of us have yet to actually played / seen / read about an ideal sandbox. If one ever comes into existence, perhaps the pendulum will swing a bit.