Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You thought ESO was bad?Wait till you play wildstar

124»

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well for one, they are two completely different beasts. Two, ESO is quite hard to top on terms of bad or 'meh-ness'. Three, Wildstar I believe has an NDA in effect. 

In short, way to make a useless thread which you admitted to breaking NDA to bash a game with a big total of 0 points to back up any claims. 

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

Wildstar looks like it has alot of interesting features and things to keep me entertained.  I played the ESO beta and it seems like it doesnt have as much in the way of content and features. 

Of course many people say quality over quantity, but I'm just not convinced so far that ESO's quality is going to be much better.  I like PvP and didn't get a chance to try it in Cyrodil, but as much as I liked GW2s WvW at first, the zerging got old real quick and I really don't see how it can be avoided with such a similar system. 

Also being an MMO with a comparably high budget you would think ESO would have better combat animation/impact.  Sorry but I have to bring that up as I usually melee and if I'm gonna be playing a combat oriented game, all aspects of the combat are very important and need to be convincing and of high quality.  I'm not worried about this for wildstar since its game engine should allow for easy execution of good flowing animations.

To be honest I don't expect either of these games to be my next big mmo. I will most likely just play ESO for a few months or so until Wildstar releases and then do the same thing with that.  I really think some of the gameplay philosophies and concepts being stated for games like Camelot Unchained, World of Darkness, and EQNext are right up my alley.  But the first 2 being more independent companies with low budgets and small target audiences I just dont think they will be able to execute them well enough to make a good game.  And with EQNext being SOE I'm sorry but I am very catious. They definitely have to budget and experience to combine with new and innovative mmo ideas and succeed, but only time will tell. 

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Looking forward to trying Wildstar.  From all appearances, the release date will not overlap with the month of game time that comes with ESO, and should get the bounce from the people who do not sub to ESO. 

For me, ESO feels like a GW2 clone with an Elder Scrolls flare to it.  Worth the play though, but hard to log in after reaching max level and completing the story.  I could be wrong, but the history of MMO releases does conform to that pattern.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Both will flop. The age of themepark MMOs is over.

This

Wish this was true, but until a sandbox (not named Eve) comes out that doesn't look like a toddler spit up the graphics, and actually delivers on its promises, they will remain a distant light and themeparks will continue their reign.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Lugors

Looking forward to trying Wildstar.  From all appearances, the release date will not overlap with the month of game time that comes with ESO, and should get the bounce from the people who do not sub to ESO. 

For me, ESO feels like a GW2 clone with an Elder Scrolls flare to it.  Worth the play though, but hard to log in after reaching max level and completing the story.  I could be wrong, but the history of MMO releases does conform to that pattern.

ESO definitely feels like a better done GW2 to me.  Better done in that there's far more flexibility in the skill system, and the game's combat isn't broken.  The crafting/loot is also far more diverse.  And the PvP is everything that GW2 promised and didn't deliver.  That's why I'll play it, at least until a proper sandbox comes out that steals me away.

But where GW2 lost me at max level, ESO actually has the end game content to keep people interested (at least, it has a lot of end game content for a non-sandbox mmo.)  That's what TOR and GW2 were really lacking.  So we'll see.

Still, wish the game was a full sandbox, considering what they were able to accomplish with the PvP optimization.  I think they really could've had a genre buster if they'd made one.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Well, people's tastes in current-gen MMOs are similar to men or women stuck in jail that eventually start having same-sex romances even if they normally wouldn't. We've all been deprived of a real MMO for so long, that some people will jump on anything that remotely resembles an MMO, and it will satisfy their need in the moment.

So while it's hard to believe people would embrace Wildstar or ESO, these people have their reasons, and there will be supporters.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

I Think anyone who is bashing either of these games perhaps needs to take a break from the mmo genre, Maybe you are just burned out and seeking a game that does not or probably never will exist. Both ESO and WILDSTAR look great and although they are not drastically different from anything on the market now they do seem to be upgraded versions of what we already have which for many of us still having fun in the genre is completky fine.

Personally im leaning more towards ESO After playing wow for so many years  that graphic style kind of turns me off. Between ESO's massive world encourging & rewarding exploration and the fun PVP ESO feels fresh and new enough to warrant a preorder, Although i could definetly see myself giving wildstar a go in the future when ESO becomes stale which im sure it will.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• The_emberThe_ember Member UncommonPosts: 56

Well since no one else in this thread has said it yet, since there are so many of you that hate the WS beta and have uninstalled:

Care to let me have your account? Since, you know, you ain't using it.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    I enjoy Wildstar, i think the gameplay is good and its dynamic and engaging, eso was so gray dull and slow and boring that i diden't even make it to lv10 before i quit.. Wildstar on the otherhand is a game i played for everysecond they let me on their servers.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

So, here's my take on this.  Mind you, I haven't played Wildstar, so I'm not commenting on whether or not it is any good.

Frankly, I wasn't convinced by either game for the longest time.  And I barely kept up with any news about TESO until recently.  In truth, I was about as indifferent about it as one could be.

But one day about a month or so ago, I applied for the Beta.  Why?  Well.. I was trying to play GW2 after having bought it at launch, and subsequently quitting after my first week - I wanted to give it another try since I was bored and wanted an MMO.  Well, I got to about 3 weeks this time and realized I just hated the game.  Crafting was overly grindy.  Combat was reptitive, but was somewhat fun as a Ranger.  But over all - it was just a boring story with a boring quest structure.  So, I got my Beta invite, and spent that weekend playing TESO.

It started out simple enough.  I must admit, nothing really jumped out at me when I first started.  The races in TESO were never anything for me to get ridiculous over - so I made a Nord, since I was familiar with the Skyrim setting, as it was the most recent TES I had played.

Well, I got about 10 minutes into the starter zone and thought, "Ehhh... I can't do this again."  You started in Skyrim, and it was just too soon to be doing that all over again.  So I rerolled a Wood Elf because I figured Elswyr is the only major area in Tamriel none of the SP games have really covered, and I wanted to check it out  This time around, things were much more interesting over all.  However, I have to say I still wasn't sold.

But then, something happened about 5 hours or so into the game, and yes, I was still on the starter island.  I suddenly started to feel like I was playing an ES game.  I kept running around trying to complete quests, but every time I got into a stride, something off to my left would catch my eye.  So I would take a few moments detour just to look-see, and it wasn't long before I ended up in an entirely different area of the map than I needed to be, and I had picked up 3 extra quests.  Checking my quest log showed me that I still hadn't accomplished the first thing since I started the game, I was backed up about 5 levels worth of quests, and I was still having a blast.  "This is just like the SP game." I thought.

And then it hit me again, "I haven't had this much fun with an MMO since SWG, 10 years ago."  Really and truly... it was at that moment I went to TESO store and bought 2 copies of the Imperial Digital Edition - one for me and one for my brother.

As for Wildstar... I keep seeing footage of it.  I keep looking at what I perceive as their target audience.  And... I'm just not into it.  Maybe it would be different if I played it, but I just don't think it's for me.  I have this group of friends who are all somewhere between 5-8 years younger than me.  It's hard for me sometimes to really appreciate their kind of humor and what they find interesting.  I'm 31, so they all range between their early 20-somethings and their early-late 20-somethings.  They grew up with Pokemon and get excited over the movie "Wreck it Ralph" because Bowser from Super Mario Bros makes an appearance for 10 seconds.  These guys don't have personalities outside of the culture of gaming.  They have dysfunctional communication skills that simply will not allow them to function in a setting that doesn't deal with video-games and D&D.  They enjoy games like Minecraft and League of Legends - 2 games I will never for the life of me understand the value in playing.

But, I'm not judging them.  I'm not.  It's who they are.  And they can be whomever they are going to be.  But I'm going to be who I am going to be too.  And I am not a guy who needs this stuff in his life 24/7.  And Wildstar looks like the kind of game they would be interested in.  I can tell... because they won't shut up about it :P  But... it's not for me.

I'm sure it will be a good success of a game.  But I think for my money... TESO is more in line with the page I'm on.  It isn't a proper sandbox - in fact it's really just a cleverly disguised themepark.  But, it's the closest thing to a sandbox a AAA title has been for a very long time.  And that's where I want to spend my time.

I hope everyone can make a similar decision.  Just pick one you think will be a good place to spend some time.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

I don't have enough time in any of the two games yet.

I have not gotten far enough in to ESO to form a final opinion. I've only made it to lvl 6 or 7. I find it fairly boring but I am going to take the advice of forum members here and keep playing in the next beta since the general census is that it opens up and becomes much more fun.

As for Wildstar I have not received a beta invite yet so I have zero hands on with it. All I can say about Wildstar is that from the footage I have seen, for me, it just looks really fun. So I will definitely be trying that game.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Originally posted by Eighteen16
    You cannot create a succesful MMO by trying to beat Wow at their own design.

Especially when they miss the mark.

It's not the art.

It's not the skills.

It's something very basic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDESKTq73qg

No point trying to have a debate with you, with your pro-file picture:)

I'll borrow my sis's mage picture then. ^-^

Same guild though <I AM A HOLY PALADIN> (now you know why the references to "mages in cloth" in the guild theme!). :p

• The_emberThe_ember Member UncommonPosts: 56
    EDIT: Nevermind ^^

Still didn't get any beta access from all these people complaining about WS... :(

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by The_ember
    EDIT: Nevermind ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMGp3P_Tc8

My guild is called <I AM A HOLY PALADIN>.

My avatar screams I AM A HOLY PALADIN.

Thus, I AM A HOLY PALADIN!!!

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    I am going to play both games. I think Wildstar will win though. It has more comedy and the zones are less samey. It kind reminds me of outland.  I can't say I Have played either yet - but then again I suspect that's the same for the haters in this thread.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

The solution is simple.  Buy ESO, play it until you're bored in two weeks, then buy Wildstar when it comes out.

There is going to be enough of a gap between their launches for you to tire of ESO before WS comes out so does it really matter which is better?

This discussion has been closed.