Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Complaining about the starter area's?

Comments

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I think a huge percentage of player decide to play a game or not within the first 10 minutes.

If there's a bunch of people complaining about the starter area.  That's a sign those people either won't buy the game or will quit immediately after they tried it.

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Epicon

The people who don't like the starting area 1-10, are usually people who don't like this kind of MMO, Don't understand how to play the game (this is not a rushing to end game, and sitting around in a city waiting for a que pop, it's a stop and smell the roses game), don't care about lore, and just want instant Michael Bay, CoD, stuff.

Every example isn't 100% always true of course, but there is good news for both sides. The side that hates the game? Good news. There are other new MMOs coming out. Go to them. The side that likes it? They don't have to deal with the haters, because most will quit. Win/Win.

Every MMO I've ever played is a stop and smell the roses game.

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by spizz

Originally posted by Damedius

Originally posted by spizz It depends which faction you choose, the Aldmeri Dominion had an excellent starting area packed with quests and a nice area. The least starting area I did enjoy was the Ebonheard Pack, playing as a Nord. That was a little dull.   You really did play all 3 starting areas ? Aldmeri was great for me.
    I acutally liked the Ebonheart Pact startting area. The Daggerfall Covenant was the one I found a bit dull. However part of this could have been because it was a reroll. Whereas my first character was a Nord.
    Try Aldmeri in the next beta =)

I can already foresee a huge faction imbalance, AngryJoe also said the same thing. Play a Mage class and make a Dominion char, lol.

Yep, because if Angry Joe says something that you agree with, or anyone else. It is set in stone, done deal. It's going to happen, like a Miley Cyrus pregnancy.

I disagree, what I see is the Ebonheart pact, having a huge population, due to the Nord and Skyrim connection. It's the most recent game, and that matters to people.

I know it's crazy, but believe it or not, some people liked the starting area for the pact. Like I said, it's crazy. I mean, when random forum posters,  have an opinion, It's always, ALWAYS, true. Like the gospel in the bible, but not a story of a old man living in a sky, that people send wishes to.  But it involves the very same logic.

When the opinion is different than yours? This is what you should do. Like a game? Too bad. If the majority of forum posters don't or hate it? Too fucking bad. You should quit it right away and only play what the majority approves of. All the while, Yanking your wee willy, to the drums of blind, searing, ignorant hate.

"What tastes like purple?"

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by spizz It depends which faction you choose, the Aldmeri Dominion had an excellent starting area packed with quests and a nice area. The least starting area I did enjoy was the Ebonheard Pack, playing as a Nord. That was a little dull.   You really did play all 3 starting areas ? Aldmeri was great for me.
    I acutally liked the Ebonheart Pact startting area. The Daggerfall Covenant was the one I found a bit dull. However part of this could have been because it was a reroll. Whereas my first character was a Nord.

I can already foresee a huge faction imbalance, AngryJoe also said the same thing. Play a Mage class and make a Dominion char, lol.

Yep, because if Angry Joe says something that you agree with, or anyone else. It is set in stone, done deal. It's going to happen, like a Miley Cyrus pregnancy.

I disagree, what I see is the Ebonheart pact, having a huge population, due to the Nord and Skyrim connection. It's the most recent game, and that matters to people.

I know it's crazy, but believe it or not, some people liked the starting area for the pact. Like I said, it's crazy. I mean, when random forum posters,  has an opinion.

It's always, ALWAYS TRUE. Especially, when the opinion is different than yours. You like a game? Too bad. If the majority of forum posters don't you should quit right away and on play what the popularity approves of.

I agree with this ^.

While the starting area isn't as exciting as some other games I've played (primarily single-player), there really arent' that many MMOs that have done better with their starting areas. Honestly, the only somewhat recent games I can think of that had better tutorials were both funcom games, and in both cases the starting areas were the best parts of the games.

ESO seems to be taking a different focus, and I'm glad. I understand that (for many) people get hooked by the first few hours of gameplay. I get that. However the game shares a lot of similarities to GW. It demands players to think about what they are doing, and even in beta I was seeing a massive difference between those who did, and those who didn't. The players who are going to not make it through the tutorial before righting this game off, are probably not the people who should be playing this game. These tend to be the same people who jump into RvR (AvA), and then complain that they can't 1v1 everything. Or complain when they get into a dungeon and realize that they might actually have to dodge things. Or rush to complete all content in a game and then immediately complain that there's nothing to do. These types of people tend to kill games like this, and I'll be glad if most of them don't make it.

As much as I generally like Angry Joe's reviews, they aren't gospels. His opinions aren't flawless, and they certaintly aren't law. As others have pointed out, he is criticizing this game for many of the same things he enjoyed with GW2. He clearly went into the game with pre-conceptions about what the game was going to be. And that distorts your perspective of what the game actually is. He went into GW2 with a blank slate, and a 'lets see what this game is' type mindset. He went into ESO with a 'omg, this is going to be just like skyrim but MASSIVE!!!' type mindset, and it fell short of his expectations. He's not the only person to do this, but it's no surprise the game didn't live up to his own hype.

Could the tutorial have been more exciting? Absolutely. But it's not really any worse than 99% of the other MMOs out there.

Originally posted by Fappuccino

The people who don't like the starting area 1-10, are usually people who don't like this kind of MMO, Don't understand how to play the game (this is not a rushing to end game, and sitting around in a city waiting for a que pop, it's a stop and smell the roses game), don't care about lore, and just want instant Michael Bay, CoD, stuff.

Every example isn't 100% always true of course, but there is good news for both sides. The side that hates the game? Good news. There are other new MMOs coming out. Go to them. The side that likes it? They don't have to deal with the haters, because most will quit. Win/Win.

You must have never played GW2, WoW (I admit their is the chance to do this, but people usually rush to endgame, gear and entance focused), Rift (rush to end game, gear and end game focused), Old Republic (Play for the story and quit, or rush to a clone end game, no exploring, gear focused), Eve Online (stop and smell the trolls) Neverwinter (smell the pile of shit), Tera (rush to end game, gear focused) ARR (same thing as others, but does the formula right). I could go on and on. You get my point. There is a trained formula there.

These games train people, to haul more ass to end game, than Donkey tours in the grand canyon. They have you focus, on gear, ignoring what quests say, and rushing for gear. So you can do raids, dungeons.

Elder scrolls does have gear aspects, but it doesn't hold you hostage. It's focus is on a crafting, pvp experience. I get GW2 tries to focus on pvp. But seeing has how only give people still play it? That can't be much fun.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I love sandbox games, single player RPGs and slower paced MMOs like Vanguard.  What I don't like is being funnelled through linear, boring content with terrible storylines and dialogue, which is what you can expect from levels 1-10 in ESO.

The people complaining actually wanted a deeper MMO with better questing from ESO (a smell the roses kind of deal). Clearly you are happy with the poor storyline and dialogue, but please don't pretend that you are some sort of higher calibre player because you can tolerate bad content.

Originally posted by aesperus

I know it's crazy, but believe it or not, some people liked the starting area for the pact. Like I said, it's crazy. I mean, when random forum posters,  has an opinion.

It's always, ALWAYS TRUE. Especially, when the opinion is different than yours. You like a game? Too bad. If the majority of forum posters don't you should quit right away and on play what the popularity approves of.

I agree with this ^.

While the starting area isn't as exciting as some other games I've played (primarily single-player), there really arent' that many MMOs that have done better with their starting areas. Honestly, the only somewhat recent games I can think of that had better tutorials were both funcom games, and in both cases the starting areas were the best parts of the games.

ESO seems to be taking a different focus, and I'm glad. I understand that (for many) people get hooked by the first few hours of gameplay. I get that. However the game shares a lot of similarities to GW. It demands players to think about what they are doing, and even in beta I was seeing a massive difference between those who did, and those who didn't. The players who are going to not make it through the tutorial before righting this game off, are probably not the people who should be playing this game. These tend to be the same people who jump into RvR (AvA), and then complain that they can't 1v1 everything. Or complain when they get into a dungeon and realize that they might actually have to dodge things. Or rush to complete all content in a game and then immediately complain that there's nothing to do. These types of people tend to kill games like this, and I'll be glad if most of them don't make it.

As much as I generally like Angry Joe's reviews, they aren't gospels. His opinions aren't flawless, and they certaintly aren't law. As others have pointed out, he is criticizing this game for many of the same things he enjoyed with GW2. He clearly went into the game with pre-conceptions about what the game was going to be. And that distorts your perspective of what the game actually is. He went into GW2 with a blank slate, and a 'lets see what this game is' type mindset. He went into ESO with a 'omg, this is going to be just like skyrim but MASSIVE!!!' type mindset, and it fell short of his expectations. He's not the only person to do this, but it's no surprise the game didn't live up to his own hype.

Could the tutorial have been more exciting? Absolutely. But it's not really any worse than 99% of the other MMOs out there.

100% agree with this, great post.

The people who don't like this game, are usually say, "What? This isn't Skyrim? I can't put buckets on people's heads? I can't fill a canyon full of cabbages? Fuck that! Goodnight!" *uninstall*

Or "OMG! Wait I have to pay attention to things? Most of all story and characters? What the fuck kind of shit is this! I have to pay attention to get everything out of this game?! Enjoy exploring? This game didn't turn out to be what (insert preconception about what they wanted the game to be here) and didn't turn out to be like (insert favorite game of the past  here), whatever I'm going to play (new mmo here) it will be so much less fail!"

You must have never played GW2, WoW (I admit their is the chance to do this, but people usually rush to endgame, gear and entance focused), Rift (rush to end game, gear and end game focused), Old Republic (Play for the story and quit, or rush to a clone end game, no exploring, gear focused), Eve Online (stop and smell the trolls) Neverwinter (smell the pile of shit), Tera (rush to end game, gear focused) ARR (same thing as others, but does the formula right). I could go on and on. You get my point. There is a trained formula there.

These games train people, to haul more ass to end game, than Donkey tours in the grand canyon. They have you focus, on gear, ignoring what quests say, and rushing for gear. So you can do raids, dungeons.

Elder scrolls does have gear aspects, but it doesn't hold you hostage. It's focus is on a crafting, pvp experience. I get GW2 tries to focus on pvp. But seeing has how only give people still play it? That can't be much fun.

GW2: Stopped and smelled the roses. Left after two hundred hours because in the end it's not my kind of game.

WoW: Idem. Played it for years.

Rift: Idem. Left after a while because it's not my kind of game.

SWTOR: Idem. 

EVE: Didn't play. But seeing how "stop and smell the roses" is my approach to gaming, I probably would do the same. 

Neverwinter: Didn't play.

TERA: I "stopped and smelled the roses" and played for 6 months before leaving.

ARR: Saw every nook and cranny of every zone I got to. Played it enough in two weeks to see it's not my kind of game.

Like I said, every game I've ever played. 

• mersant12mersant12 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Complaining starter area...I allways hated when my character magically popped in,no backstory or a simple hint what an earth he is doing there.Ok its just a prison/bethesda/ but compared the almighty wow you got some sotry.And wow does not have fun and intresting starter zones i think,the first lvl 20 just meh..I think TSW have good opening as well.Personaly i think bit slow the starter area but who never played elder scroll games,or mmo its perfect,not shoveling tonns of miningles quest on you face,gives you some time to look around,and expore.I comparing this mmo to gw2,cos they want to make mmo bit different.And yes this is the first time when you really dont see kill xx and run back ,now kill xx run back ect...some ppl say its boring i say its ok,again read ppl dont rush.i asked one tester guys hi said lvl up 3 weeks to lvl 50 but he not rushing.i think thats good news..
    Originally posted by evilastro

I love sandbox games, single player RPGs and slower paced MMOs like Vanguard.  What I don't like is being funnelled through linear, boring content with terrible storylines and dialogue, which is what you can expect from levels 1-10 in ESO.

The people complaining actually wanted a deeper MMO with better questing from ESO (a smell the roses kind of deal)., but please don't pretend that you are some sort of higher calibre player because you can tolerate bad content.

Not a sandbox game but that's a matter of opinion. It's also not Vanguard, which isn't a matter of opinion.

Your tastes on what story that you find interesting and dialog you find immersive, is a matter of an opinion (to each their own).

You saying, the people, implies everyone who has complaints feels the same way as you, clearly you are the one who thinks themselves to be a higher life form.  Also, if you read my post, I said "Of course this isn't always the case", implying, that people have different reasons for not liking it, but the ones I have heard, more times than not, were those.

When you say clearly I like the poor elements of the game storytelling, you did me a pretty big favor. I just posted how, if you have different opinions, than the hating majority, you are always wrong.  Your opinion is invalid unless the majority agrees with it. The goes for games too.

The difference between myself and you is (besides the fact I am rich in vitamin C and like romantic walks on the beach) is you seem to confuse your opinion, with truth and assume what you say applies to everyone. Like when you said, " Clearly you are happy with the poor storyline and dialog", again you assume the story is poor universally, not to mention a 100% fact. So if anyone is pretending to be anything of higher caliber, it's you. Or you could be an above average troll, instead of someone suffering from narcassitic personality disorder.

What's next, I'm wrong for liking my favorite color?

GW2: Stopped and smelled the roses. Left after two hundred hours because in the end it's not my kind of game.

EVE: Didn't play. But seeing how "stop and smell the roses" is my approach to gaming, I probably would do the same. 

ARR: Saw every nook and cranny of every zone I got to. Played it enough in two weeks to see it's not my kind of game.

I can see that's your opinion. We are all welcome to it. I also respect it.

You didn't play Neverwinter, and I did.  I even bought the Hero of the North pack for 199.00 dollars (worst gaming choice ever, even over virtual boy). So I am going to assume you are smarter than me as well. Hopefully my post didn't offend you. 

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    The starter areas are as dull as tombs, it's a valid complaint people have about them.

Not only that but it actually takes a good 4-6 hours to reach level 10 when the game picks up.  The first 3 zones (counting Cold Harbor) is absolutely some of the worst MMO gaming I've ever witnessed in 14 years+ of playing MMO's.

Obviously you have not experienced the WoW starting areas.  

However, i agree that Zenimax should have given a bit more love to the level 1 - 8 content. Given the fact that today's MMO players are not the most patient folk, bred with the "i want it all NAO" mentality. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    The starting areas is one of my 2 biggest complaints about the game (the other being how long things take to ramp up, which I guess ties into my 1st complaint).  I like a lot of what I played, so much so that I bought the Imperial Edt. (for $52), but they really need to look at revamping the starting experience in a major way. 

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    The starter areas are as dull as tombs, it's a valid complaint people have about them.

Not only that but it actually takes a good 4-6 hours to reach level 10 when the game picks up.  The first 3 zones (counting Cold Harbor) is absolutely some of the worst MMO gaming I've ever witnessed in 14 years+ of playing MMO's.

However, i agree that Zenimax should have given a bit more love to the level 1 - 8 content. Given the fact that today's MMO players are not the most patient folk, bred with the "i want it all NAO" mentality. 

No, it's just that it take hours and hours before you feel like you've accomplished anything worthwhile.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by macromastia
    They have already started rebuilding the starting areas 1-10 due to feedback. Don't be surprised when you try the game after release and have a completely different experience than beta ;)

Is there a source for this? 

Originally posted by Shodanas

Shodanas here is reasonable, and I agree with it. He isn't like "OMG GUIZE! GUIZE DIS IS THE WOIRST GAEM EVA!", unlike the overly dramatic post above. He also must have never have grinded the Netherdrake mount in WoW lol or leveled in Neverwinter.  

Just because I liked the 1-10 content, didn't mean I thought it was the greatest thing ever. It certainly could have used some love, but it did nothing, to make me stop playing, until the beta servers got shut off at level 20.

I have played through it, probably five times, and can honestly say, it gets more and more tiresome each one. At least until I get out of the prison. Then it's fine.  But every MMO I can think of, doing the same thing over and over gets old. Even playing my favorite games of all time, get old.

Look I'm not saying the game is without flaws, I am saying I enjoy it, and have no doubt I'll get my money's worth.

Revamping the starting area, is a valid concern. I don't really think from a story prospective, just the way it's told.

However I kind of also like the filter it naturally applies, getting rid of the people who don't like the slow pace and such, so they can find the game they like.

What will be interest for me, provided they don't change it, is to see, how many people make it out of that filter and if the ESO community is better because of it. There also might be other filters in place, I can think of one other, PVP. Crap systems will die in keep wars.

I can see that's your opinion. We are all welcome to it. I also respect it.

Likewise.

You didn't play Neverwinter, and I did.  I even bought the Hero of the North pack for 199.00 dollars (worst gaming choice ever, even over virtual boy). So I am going to assume you are smarter than me as well.

Nah, the ads just didn't grab me. Much like Warhammer.

Hopefully my post didn't offend you. 

You didn't. No worries. Post on!

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    I have spoken with a lot of players who normally play ego shooters etc. They main complaint about MMOs: "The gameplay is far too dull." So much for the argument, that people have to be introduced into MMOs. Clicking some abilites in order to kill some stuff is not very complicated. In most MMOs like WoW or even FFXIV you just keep standing around during fights. Every first level of any ego shooter is more difficult than most endgame stuff in MMOs.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by macromastia
    They have already started rebuilding the starting areas 1-10 due to feedback. Don't be surprised when you try the game after release and have a completely different experience than beta ;)

I think it's too good to be true. I mean, rebuilding in 2 months prior launch?

That is new for me, but I've heard that they're revamping the tutorial zone (prison) due to feedback. Yes, I do agree that 1-5 is bland but 5 and beyond is way better. I have already 100 ESO screenshots on my computer from the previous beta weekend alone. I came from FFXIV and Blade & Soul which have more beautiful landscapes.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

They are going to have to make the starter areas more interesting, it's pretty plain to see. From everything I have heard, the game (I have only played up to level 9) gets better past 10. My experience pre-10 was probably one of the worst I have had in an MMO since...well... ever; I had more fun in EQ 1 as a fresh iksar shadow knight back in 2000 killing things in field of bone than I did 1-9 in ESO.

I am intrigued by the pvp though.

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    From my experience most Attention grab MMO at start are a failure later I rely like how teso easly evolves and at some point you get addicted to it
  • GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by evilized

They are going to have to make the starter areas more interesting, it's pretty plain to see. From everything I have heard, the game (I have only played up to level 9) gets better past 10. My experience pre-10 was probably one of the worst I have had in an MMO since...well... ever; I had more fun in EQ 1 as a fresh iksar shadow knight back in 2000 killing things in field of bone than I did 1-9 in ESO.

I am intrigued by the pvp though.

I dont mind if people who enjoy killing 2k mobs avoid this game. people who practice such things are not worth caring about

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

I didn't find the starter areas appealing until I created second character, and while I went through it again I stop caring about the main quests, and just go off track to see every corner of the starter island. What I found are many quests that I did not know were there the first time I went through, that's included an empty chest with a letter inside which guide me to scavenger hunt for the hidden treasure. This quest does not have tracker to guide me, so actually have to figuring out by myself of where the real treasure might be.

I also found a bottle by the beach, with no quest marker on it, but when I examined it I found a paper inside with notes that might give hint to another hidden quest.

This is all just hidden away in starter island for people to wandering out and find them, but most seem to just rush to get to the max level and miss out on many contents that's hidden away in plain sight (unless you pay attention).

I would suggest that during the next beta test it might be a good time to stop rushing through the linear quest trackers, and start paying attention to your surrounding, see what interests you, and go out there investigate.

I would have put ESO as a typical linear theme park MMO the first play through, if I haven't decided to create another character and go through the same starting zones again out of my curiosity. The starting zones are not as bad as what some make it to be. I hope there still more hidden stuffs I haven't found yet, and hope there are more of it.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Divona

I didn't find the starter areas appealing until I created second character, and while I went through it again I stop caring about the main quests, and just go off track to see every corner of the starter island. What I found are many quests that I did not know were there the first time I went through, that's included an empty chest with a letter inside which guide me to scavenger hunt for the hidden treasure. This quest does not have tracker to guide me, so actually have to figuring out by myself of where the real treasure might be.

This is all just hidden away in starter island for people to wandering out and find them, but most seem to just rush to get to the max level and miss out on many contents that's hidden away in plain sight (unless you pay attention).

I would suggest that during the next beta test it might be a good time to stop rushing through the linear quest trackers, and start paying attention to your surrounding, see what interests you, and go out there investigate.

I would have put ESO as a typical linear theme park MMO the first play through, if I haven't decided to create another character and go through the same starting zones again out of my curiosity. The starting zones are not as bad as what some make it to be. I hope there still more hidden stuffs I haven't found yet, and hope there are more of it.

I also found a couple of those. One of which is related to the breakable pillar, but I can't seem to find the way to break it or find the right pillar. The information given is very limited.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

It depends which faction you choose, the Aldmeri Dominion had an excellent starting area packed with quests and a nice area.

The least starting area I did enjoy was the Ebonheard Pack, playing as a Nord. That was a little dull.

You really did play all 3 starting areas ? Aldmeri was great for me.

I acutally liked the Ebonheart Pact starting area.

The Daggerfall Covenant was the one I found a bit dull. However part of this could have been because it was a reroll. Whereas my first character was a Nord.

My thoughts exactly with an exception that DC character was my first. Although still I liked the story behind getting to Daggerfall city - it's overall design that should and could be improved really.