Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large Scale PvP: GW2 vs. ESO

Comments

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

Continued -

Rolling hills, buildings, and rock cropings to break visability. In GW2 Nothing breaks visability. Heck, Wahrammer had many places to hide your warband. Keeps don't auto repair. After destroying a keep to get in, it has to be fixed before you leave, or a solo player can walk up an take it right back.

No Mesmers hiding in keeps.

No candy cane hammers.

No ginger bread swords

Reasons to hold your supply depots.

Dungeons to PvP in.

For all the hate I have towards the trinity it does make RvR deeper when every class isn't a DPS and you actually have to focus fire whoever is doing the healing.

ESO end game is focused on AvA. GW2 end game is the living story.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by SmarnyPete

Correction, ESO end game will be focused on what gives best armor in game, until the game launches you have no way to know what that will be.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by eldaris

Originally posted by Vapors

Originally posted by Telondariel

Originally posted by Celcius

Originally posted by Damedius Well in massive battles people don't disappear  from your screen like they do in GW2.
    They don't disappear from your screen in GW2. They have not in nearly a year now. You can keep your terrible animations to your ESO though. 
    By terrible animations, do you mean somebody shooting rainbow unicorns from a bow?  Or a pop-gun, or maybe a sparkle princess wand?  How about the new KIngdom Hearts/Sailor Moon Valentine's weapon skins?  Oh, wait, that's GW2.   I love the realism that ESO offers.  I'm glad a studio has finally gotten away from cute and colorful and moved to deep and meaningful.
    haha nice one

Beside the talk of realism in a fantasy game ,it's even funnier when you remember that one of last games which went with a "dark game world,we hate colorful because we are so hardcore" was Warhammer,made by Matt Firor ex-studio,closed last year.

I'm quite sure that came with the IP... and yet the game looked quite cartoony, where Warhammer as an IP stands..

What they actually did was, water down the grittiness of the Warhammer IP. I guess they were after the WoW-train with the graphics (atleast what i always thought of the visuals of WHO).

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Both are aimed to casual players. Both are about mindless zerging and taking empty keeps (PvDoor, PvGuards). ESO has better optimization but a way worse combat system. Both have uninteresting PvP progression. ESO's zones feel too empty (way too large compared to the people that it can handle).

You said the "Z" word.

Go watch this video 20 times and report back...we'll wait image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiKZ5QEml0

The animations looks bad all around in that video. Everything is so Grey.

I haven't seen anything impressive about it, or anything that is better then GW2's WvW.

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Xssiv

From what I've seen so far,  GW2's WvW and Cyrodiil seem very similar in concept,  in many ways almost identical.  

So as a PvP focused player who enjoyed a lot of what GW2's WvW had to offer, what is there about ESO's AvA system that would justify paying a sub for essentially the same PvP experience that I'm currently getting without a sub?

Well if you really enjoy PvP in GW2 and have little interest in the rest of ESO it's probably not worth it.  Personally I find GW2's controls unplayable after about 50 hours.  B2P is great but if you have no interest in even bothering to take the time to patch the game up to the current version it really doesn't do you much good.

So after 50 hours of playing a character in GW2 they keyboard commands stop responding?  That sounds like a huge bug.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Fusion

Originally posted by Vapors

Originally posted by Telondariel

Originally posted by Celcius

Originally posted by Damedius Well in massive battles people don't disappear  from your screen like they do in GW2.
    They don't disappear from your screen in GW2. They have not in nearly a year now. You can keep your terrible animations to your ESO though. 
    By terrible animations, do you mean somebody shooting rainbow unicorns from a bow?  Or a pop-gun, or maybe a sparkle princess wand?  How about the new KIngdom Hearts/Sailor Moon Valentine's weapon skins?  Oh, wait, that's GW2.   I love the realism that ESO offers.  I'm glad a studio has finally gotten away from cute and colorful and moved to deep and meaningful.
    haha nice one
      Beside the talk of realism in a fantasy game ,it's even funnier when you remember that one of last games which went with a "dark game world,we hate colorful because we are so hardcore" was Warhammer,made by Matt Firor ex-studio,closed last year.
    I'm quite sure that came with the IP... and yet the game looked quite cartoony, where Warhammer as an IP stands..

What they actually did was, water down the grittiness of the Warhammer IP. I guess they were after the WoW-train with the graphics (atleast what i always thought of the visuals of WHO).

Gritty lore is not equal to a dark,dreary world. You can have tragedy happening in the most sunny landscape, after all even the term starts from a civilzation which basked in mediterranean sun. If they were after wow graphics,they missed big time, same with fluid combat animations.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

On the front page.

There's something to chew on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiKZ5QEml0#t=1

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Jonas_SG
    Both are aimed to casual players. Both are about mindless zerging and taking empty keeps (PvDoor, PvGuards). ESO has better optimization but a way worse combat system. Both have uninteresting PvP progression. ESO's zones feel too empty (way too large compared to the people that it can handle).

You said the "Z" word.

I haven't seen anything impressive about it, or anything that is better then GW2's WvW.

He has it set to a lower res. But I wasn't linking it as a showcase for ESO graphics and animation...it's the non-zerg gameplay I linked it for. You did know that, didn't you?

If you want to see a low vs. high graphic comparison, watch this: http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/02/07/elder-scrolls-online-graphics-comparison-max-vs-low-settings

And there's a thread around here somewhere about that... just in case you have more to say about graphics and animations.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by SmarnyPete

Correction, ESO end game will be focused on what gives best armor in game, until the game launches you have no way to know what that will be.

Yeah I do. All we know about ESO end game is 1. 50+ questing in the other two faction PVE zone. That doesn't look like huge focus, but more like a tack on to expand play time. 2. Adventure Zone which we no nothing about. Worries me for the PVE/Raid crowd. What is it? Is it done and they want the player to discover it or is it not what they planned and still working on it. 3. Cyrodill we know much about. 

To me, it sounds like the focus has or is AvA. How it will expand compared to the AZs? That remains to be seen.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by cnutemp

From what I've seen so far,  GW2's WvW and Cyrodiil seem very similar in concept,  in many ways almost identical.  

So as a PvP focused player who enjoyed a lot of what GW2's WvW had to offer, what is there about ESO's AvA system that would justify paying a sub for essentially the same PvP experience that I'm currently getting without a sub?

Well if you really enjoy PvP in GW2 and have little interest in the rest of ESO it's probably not worth it.  Personally I find GW2's controls unplayable after about 50 hours.  B2P is great but if you have no interest in even bothering to take the time to patch the game up to the current version it really doesn't do you much good.

So after 50 hours of playing a character in GW2 they keyboard commands stop responding?  That sounds like a huge bug.

Oh the keyboard continues to work fine it's my brain that refuses to keep pushing the buttons in such a monotonous manner that's the problem.  I have no idea if ESO will do the same or not yet, we will have to see sometime after 4/4.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by cnutemp

Oh the keyboard continues to work fine it's my brain that refuses to keep pushing the buttons in such a monotonous manner that's the problem.  I have no idea if ESO will do the same or not yet, we will have to see sometime after 4/4.

Ya don't worry it will be the same.  Havent you even seen ESOs controls? aswd movement, same and 1,2,3,4,5 ability keys +Q&R.  Pretty much the same controls unless you mean 1st person view in which case you'll be gimping yourself greatly.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

You said the "Z" word.

He has it set to a lower res. But I wasn't linking it as a showcase for ESO graphics and animation...it's the non-zerg gameplay I linked it for. You did know that, didn't you?

If you want to see a low vs. high graphic comparison, watch this: http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/02/07/elder-scrolls-online-graphics-comparison-max-vs-low-settings

And there's a thread around here somewhere about that... just in case you have more to say about graphics and animations.

Lol I like how you think the PvP wont be zergy.  You will see after release it will for sure.  There is no avoiding it.  Its just what naturally happens when you allow alot of people to play in the same area.  They bunch up in a huge mindless group.  Sure there will be a few small groups and more organized guild teams etc. but it will still boil down to zerg=win like GW2.  Just you wait.

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85

You said the "Z" word.

It's virtually a carbon copy of GW2's WvW, for better or for worse.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by DaveyCole

You said the "Z" word.

For sure not, GW2 is the little brother in comparison to ESO siege wars.

In ESO up to 2000 players can take part in a battle in one campaign, the campaign duration is 3 months.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

There are three huge differences between the two which makes ESO superior, imho:

1) Death Penalty - This may seem like a minor difference, but if you look at it from a bigger context, it's a HUGE difference.  GW2 essentially has ZERO consequences when it comes to dying.  Literally every player can rezz and every player can instantly pop back into battle.. no fuss, no muss.  The end result is an extremely un-fun treadmill type experience in which you kill the same player over and over again with no progress in sight and no reward for being the superior opponent.  From what I've seen of ESO so far, death is PAINFUL.  Which is a good thing.  The developers GET IT, for a change.  The more painful the death and the more consequences, the better the overall massive PvP experience.

2) GW2 is basically just a tournament, while ESO is more of a full scale war.  In GW2, you have small, rotating instances and all pvp progress gets wiped after a small interval of time.  It's basically an E-Sport (GW2) vs. a War (ESO) experience.  I don't know about you, but e-sports are boring to me and they break immersion.

3) GW2 is way too damn laggy, whereas I hear that ESO is far more performant with hundreds of players on the screen.  I seriously doubt that GW2 will ever change since they took the WRONG PATH of the F2P model.  There's no incentive to invest huge amounts of money to improve performance like there would be with a subscription model.

Definitely looking forward to the RvR in ESO.  It was built by former DaoC developers, and these guys know PvP unlike pretty much every other MMO in the market.

You said the "Z" word.

My sentiments exactly.  It's pretty sad how people delude themselves into thinking something is drastically different because it has "awesome manly I'm a big boy now GRAPHICS!" and its not "cutesy pony puff and rainbow cartoonish drivel."

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Randallt3mp

You said the "Z" word.

My sentiments exactly.  It's pretty sad how people delude themselves into thinking something is drastically different because it has "awesome manly I'm a big boy now GRAPHICS!" and its not "cutesy pony puff and rainbow cartoonish drivel."

Actually you see more graphic particles in GW2 therefore it is lagging already with 50 players. Did you play ESO pvp already ? Iam just asking, because it is alright if someone did actually play it and dont like it but everything else is grey theory.

• raslirasli Member UncommonPosts: 56

Hmm..I am actually kinda curious about the idea of less zerg in ESO.  The map in ESO is much bigger than GW2 but it seems you also have less main objectives that you are able to attack at any given time for each side.  From the map it shows it seems at any time, each side in ESO only has about 4 main objectives (keeps) you can assault before you can move on to next ones.  Given the number of players (666) each side is supposed to have, the zerg in ESO (roughly 170 people per objective) seems going to be much bigger than GW2 (80-100 people for 3-4 main objectives like towers and keeps per borderland). 

When talking about zerging in GW2, the concern is not really there are no things for small teams like 5 people to do (plenty of camps, bloodlust, cavarans etc for small teams), but rather it is more difficult for medium size groups (like 15 to 20ish) to make a meaningful impact since they tend to draw reaction from the main zerg. I don't see how this problem is addressed in ESO.

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475

You said the "Z" word.

After i saw yours, i watched Angry Joe's review on the AvA, he was playing on Highest settings - didn't helped the animation - they look very unnatural. The way the character moves, fights, runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82pz60iGL0

The gameplay of AvA - is the same as GW2 only:

1) Maps are bigger - so there are more objectives to take, but travel time is also longer. So it's 50-50.

2) More players on the maps - it would be interesting to see how ESO manage a 1,5-2k Player battles??? - Which is something even EvE online can't do with out slowing down the game.

3) The way AngryJoe died at 15:38 was very puzzling - No numbers on hits - this is  abig No no for me. MMORPG's are all about numbers. Not seeing how powerfull your attacks or what is hitting you and for how much to at least id what killed you is just something i can't see my self beeing interested in. It was fine for Single Player game, but in MMO - numbers are a part of the genre.

4). Siege deployment - Click and set??? - GW2 version with Resources is more appealing to me, because you add a tactical aspect to the game - where Zerg with out resources becomes weaker even with greater numbers.

5) Gameplay - looked very fun.

The AvA in ESO have a potential, but it needs some adjustments to catch up to Gw2 WvW.

It looks fun.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Satarious

GW2 essentially has ZERO consequences when it comes to dying.  Literally every player can rezz and every player can instantly pop back into battle.. no fuss, no muss.

Nice amount of misinformation to start the post. You die, you respawn far away from action, with a loooong run back and also some repair bills to your equipment.

2) GW2 is basically just a tournament, while ESO is more of a full scale war.  In GW2, you have small, rotating instances and all pvp progress gets wiped after a small interval of time.  It's basically an E-Sport (GW2) vs. a War (ESO) experience.  I don't know about you, but e-sports are boring to me and they break immersion.

ESO is just the latest "new kid on the blocks". ESO's PvP in a zone is no different from GW2's PvP in a zone, people see the new "DAOC messiah" in every new game with PvP, and we all know how it ends.

3) GW2 is way too damn laggy, whereas I hear that ESO is far more performant with hundreds of players on the screen.  I seriously doubt that GW2 will ever change since they took the WRONG PATH of the F2P model.  There's no incentive to invest huge amounts of money to improve performance like there would be with a subscription model.

Can't say anything about ESO because of the NDA, sadly, but GW2 is way more performant for large scale battles than any other MMORPG with similar graphic quality.

Definitely looking forward to the RvR in ESO.  It was built by former DaoC developers, and these guys know PvP unlike pretty much every other MMO in the market.

I'm going to enjoy April just reading this board. The return to reality will be very harsh. It's going to be fun to read all the "RvR is just a zerg!" posts here. What goes around comes around.

I'm already having a blast watching the people who regurgitated all negativity they found on Youtube last Friday, largely ignoring all the positive press it's getting today about the PVP... These forums are a constant source of amusement.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

You said the "Z" word.

Lol I like how you think the PvP wont be zergy.  You will see after release it will for sure.  There is no avoiding it.  Its just what naturally happens when you allow alot of people to play in the same area.  They bunch up in a huge mindless group.  Sure there will be a few small groups and more organized guild teams etc. but it will still boil down to zerg=win like GW2.  Just you wait.

Zerging is still possible to an extent, but it's really not that effective vs. a formidable opponent. I talk about it in my article today, but it really comes down to travel times and the finality of death in ESO. In WAR, you could just easily rez players. And in Guild Wars 2, the downed state made dying almost impossible. In these sorts of situations, yes, zerging is far more effective.

In ESO, you need filled soul gems to rez people and you often spawn farther away from the battle. This means if you're hemorrhaging forces by throwing bodies at a fight, a smart enemy can thin you out before your forces replenish themselves and seize the opportunity to mount a counter attack.

You can actually see this exact thing happen in Angry Joe's latest impression video: http://youtu.be/I82pz60iGL0?t=13m54s

The tempo of a battle can swing dramatically if you are careless with a mindless zerg.

If you want to compare bullet point feature lists, it's easy to think GW2 and ESO are the same thing with a different label. It's when you dig into the details and realize that Zenimax has put a great deal of care into adjusting the rules of the game, so to speak, to properly support a healthy RvR experience. Sometimes turning the knobs the right way makes all the difference. The execution in ESO is simply far superior.

• KamosabeKamosabe Member Posts: 15

Ya don't worry it will be the same.  Havent you even seen ESOs controls? aswd movement, same and 1,2,3,4,5 ability keys +Q&R.  Pretty much the same controls unless you mean 1st person view in which case you'll be gimping yourself greatly.

Well, in ESO you actually have to aim at your target to cast spells or hit them with your attacks, there is no hard lockon.

this makes combat feel much more engaging. It's a big difference on how combat flows and feels. It's not just target, fire & forget like in most other MMOs.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by MikeB

You said the "Z" word.

Zerging is still possible to an extent, but it's really not that effective vs. a formidable opponent. I talk about it in my article today, but it really comes down to travel times and the finality of death in ESO. In WAR, you could just easily rez players. And in Guild Wars 2, the downed state made dying almost impossible. In these sorts of situations, yes, zerging is far more effective.

In ESO, you need filled soul gems to rez people and you often spawn farther away from the battle. This means if you're hemorrhaging forces by throwing bodies at a fight, a smart enemy can thin you out before your forces replenish themselves and seize the opportunity to mount a counter attack.

You can actually see this exact thing happen in Angry Joe's latest impression video: http://youtu.be/I82pz60iGL0?t=13m54s

The tempo of a battle can swing dramatically if you are careless with a mindless zerg.

If you want to compare bullet point feature lists, it's easy to think GW2 and ESO are the same thing with a different label. It's when you dig into the details and realize that Zenimax has put a great deal of care into adjusting the rules of the game, so to speak, to properly support a healthy RvR experience. Sometimes turning the knobs the right way makes all the difference. The execution in ESO is simply far superior.

^^^ This guy gets it  ^^^^  Good read.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

!PERFORMANCE!. End of the discussion   

There is so many things that TESO is doing right and GW2 did wrong. I remember GW2 at launch, WvW was unplayable with a really poor performance, being a meele was just pointless, the downed state an ¨HUGE fail on WvWvW¨, the DoorWars siege mechanic. well is really a long list to be honest and pretty much everyone here know it. 

People should play both games to know the real difference, being in the last beta playing AvA since level 10, then the last Tuesday i played some WvWvW on GW2, after 10 minutes, i just quit to never come back again. The difference between both games on Large-PvP battles is just  immensely large from any point of view. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Is anyone going to still do do WvW over AvA? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"