Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quest Markers Should be Removed?

13»

Comments

• DraedzDraedz Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by CrankBackX3

I believe that Quest markers should be removed on Elder Scrolls Online. 

Reasons:

1. Promotes Exploration - Because of these Quest markers, most players (who come from a vast experience in mmorpg) tends to just focus on these linear quest line, rush through it and miss out on what's around them. ESO and how it is now has a pretty rough beginning game, quest lines are spread far apart and it makes players feel uncomfortable having to run extreme distances just to do a quest. However, this type of system promotes exploration as travelling over far distances may have you discover NPC's giving a quest or other environmental interactions. 

2. Immersion - If Quest markers have been removed, players would have to interact with the NPC's, read what they say, and if they are asking for you to do something, odds are that is how a quest is given. This type of system will make players in ESO become more immersed with the game and it's characters. 

No-

Explorers will explore, it doesn't need to be promoted for us.  For people who enjoy quest lines this feature helps them keep on track.  If they lost these markers, they might get confused or lost.   It is for the players themselves to decide what to do, the option is available to them.  People will miss out on some things because there is a lot of ground to cover in this game.  At the base of a dungeon that you might wander into, you may find a quest.  It was not indicated on your map, it was a victory of exploration.  The game makes both available, you do have your linear quest line that gets you started, but you can also explore and find other quests, items, bosses, crafting tables, skyshards, unique views, the list goes on.

Everything is voiced, so you don't have to do much reading!  Also, interaction with NPCs in this game is relatively straight forward.  You are basically suggesting a monumental change to how the game works that is unrealistic at this point.  Immersion varies from person to person, you will never appease everyone.  

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Draedz
    Originally posted by CrankBackX3

I believe that Quest markers should be removed on Elder Scrolls Online. 

Reasons:

1. Promotes Exploration - Because of these Quest markers, most players (who come from a vast experience in mmorpg) tends to just focus on these linear quest line, rush through it and miss out on what's around them. ESO and how it is now has a pretty rough beginning game, quest lines are spread far apart and it makes players feel uncomfortable having to run extreme distances just to do a quest. However, this type of system promotes exploration as travelling over far distances may have you discover NPC's giving a quest or other environmental interactions. 

2. Immersion - If Quest markers have been removed, players would have to interact with the NPC's, read what they say, and if they are asking for you to do something, odds are that is how a quest is given. This type of system will make players in ESO become more immersed with the game and it's characters. 

No-

Explorers will explore, it doesn't need to be promoted for us.  For people who enjoy quest lines this feature helps them keep on track.  If they lost these markers, they might get confused or lost.   It is for the players themselves to decide what to do, the option is available to them.  People will miss out on some things because there is a lot of ground to cover in this game.  At the base of a dungeon that you might wander into, you may find a quest.  It was not indicated on your map, it was a victory of exploration.  The game makes both available, you do have your linear quest line that gets you started, but you can also explore and find other quests, items, bosses, crafting tables, skyshards, unique views, the list goes on.

Everything is voiced, so you don't have to do much reading!  Also, interaction with NPCs in this game is relatively straight forward.  You are basically suggesting a monumental change to how the game works that is unrealistic at this point.  Immersion varies from person to person, you will never appease everyone.  

I think they make things look ugly and over-simplified. People walking around a city with icons over their heads? I don't have a problem with a quest placing a marker on your map like "this is the area you need to go to" but when you actually arrive at the area and there's a box on the ground with another marker over top of it...I mean if you need that much hand-holding...

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Torgrim
    Without quest markers the ingame chat will be flooded with lazy ass people asking where to find this or where to find that because they can't be arsed to use that grey mass that we call a brain.

And we all know how bad is to talk to another human being in game...still people complain endlessly about lack of social interaction in new games but can't be bothered to answer a question or two

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Even in the original elder scrolls people had to make mods to do this. Explore to find dungeons and clear map, if you want me to recover your stolen sword family heirloom you better know where the hell it is, i am not wondering around trying to find it for you.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I voted no but just in the context of ESO. ESO is a quest driven MMO and most of the quests are very short ones. You don't want to search for directions hundred times a day. That just gets tedious after some time.

Sure, an MMO without quest markers and only few but epic quests would be great. But ESO is not designed that way.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Without quest markers the ingame chat will be flooded with lazy ass people asking where to find this or where to find that because they can't be arsed to use that grey mass that we call a brain.

+10 to this .....as it was the map chat was flooded

• There should be a mix.

Anything marked on a map should have quest markers on a compas display.  Why do I say this?  Because this is how orietnteering works.  You should assume your "adventurer" has learn the basics of orienteering.  Otherwise you would have a game full of people who are hopelessly lost all the time.  

You should assume that the PC can read map and has a compass.

However, and this is a big howevver.  Not everything should be marked on your map.  There should be many quests or not-quite-quests, which give vague directions, treasure map style directions or just a general area.  This is essentialy just another form of puzzle quest which is something many people enjoy.

• isanderSWGisanderSWG Member Posts: 37

Definitely shouldn't have quest markers but that's not enough, you shouldn't even have a map, no way of knowing where anything is and have to map out the whole continent by hand.  

And NPCs in populated areas should basically know nothing about obscure places.  They're obscure for a reason!  If someone (a player or NPC) has give directions, they'll have to say some location is 5 days hard ride following the Enemy Star till you reach a small brook and a burnt tree then turn left.  Way points are for wimps. 

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic).

This thread reminds me of the PVP vs RP thread.  If a game is trying to appeal to a variety of players, focusing on a niche is probably counterproductive.  If aimless wandering is immersion, you shouldn't have maps of places you've never been.  Heck how do you have maps at all, it's not like cartography is a game skill.  You should also probably eliminate any method of fast travel.  No mounts, no teleportation.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Get RID OF THEM ALL!!! Keep journals with a record of the quest in text format ONLY.