Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Good article on FFXIV's success and future

drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,241Member Uncommon

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/13/5405344/final-fantasy-14s-playstation-4-launch-is-just-the-start-for-naoki

Yoshida: "The feeling hasn't settled in yet that I've actually accomplished something," he admits. "We're still constantly developing patches and upgrades that we feel are very important. We're still going full throttle. I'm not sure I'll get the realization that this has actually launched until maybe the first expansion."

An expansion, he says, that will have "the [same] amount of content released with the relaunch."

Comments

• cruelcyniccruelcynic co springs, COPosts: 11Member
    Originally posted by drivendawn

An expansion, he says, that will have "the [same] amount of content released with the relaunch."

That would be significant. Good to hear.

• NetSageNetSage Lake Geneva, WIPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    Time will tell.  I just hope expansions are priced like expansions and not $60 like it's a new game.  But, if they can truly deliver this game has a long road ahead of it imo.  If it has that much content I'm guessing we are expanding past Eorzea.
  • GrailerGrailer HamiltonPosts: 876Member Uncommon

So basically I will be bored after a month ?

• drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,241Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Grailer

Nice bait not biting though.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

Honestly though he's not wrong, not sure why you have a problem with his question.

FFXIV is a themepark, and it's following in the foosteps of a lot of themeparks before it, it's making some mistakes by obsoleting content with quick vertical progression, and it's crafting and leveling is at an accelerated rate, making for  a shorter game play experience.

I have these problems with most MMO's I play, and though I enjoyed FFXIV ARR, I know it will continue to do more of what it's done so far, which is severely limit it's replay value through the tried and true mistakes of the past.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,428Member Uncommon

The problem with Yoshi is yes he is getting out there and not just hiding in JPN with JPN press but i feel  he does not communicate NEEDS at all,just informs everyone of what they are doing.

I actually talk to people in game,i also listen to those i am not talking to and  even though i have only been in the game a few weeks since Beta of the relaunch,i have already got a really good feeling of what players think and wish for.

The funny thing is it is exactly what i wish for,so like i said he is not in touch with the player base.Is he a hard worker,i would say most definitely but imo i really don't think eh is the guy  to make it happen BETTER than FFXI.

You see FFXI has a ton load of content,more than any game out there,it has a versatile class design,it has imo fun combat because it is intuitive and guess what Yoshi was not part of it.FFXIV will definitely churn out content and will give players lots to do but the game will still lack the little tweaks that a developer SHOULD  be listening to.

Before i use one example from the FFXI days i will say they seem to always look ahead,thinking of how to keep players grinding further instead of thinking how to improve the entire game and entice NEW players.Now my example,back in the FFXI days it became apparent that players no longer wanted to use the Renkai but felt it better or faster to just solo skill chain and speed kill everything rather than have fun and team work.All they had to do was raise the dmg of magic burts and  Renkai damage and players would have stayed with the design,but they did not pay attention or listen to the players.

That is what being a DEV+player does,it gives you the opportunity to actually see the flaws or tweaks needed in a game.Instead of looking at FF he has made it clear he wanted his team to look at OTHER games and see what makes them money,imo a BAD idea,stick to your own game and leave the copying to Blizzard.

Samoan Diamond

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Honestly though he's not wrong, not sure why you have a problem with his question.

FFXIV is a themepark, and it's following in the foosteps of a lot of themeparks before it, it's making some mistakes by obsoleting content with quick vertical progression, and it's crafting and leveling is at an accelerated rate, making for  a shorter game play experience.

I have these problems with most MMO's I play, and though I enjoyed FFXIV ARR, I know it will continue to do more of what it's done so far, which is severely limit it's replay value through the tried and true mistakes of the past.

No problem here. :)  People progress at different rates and like different forms of endgame progression so he isn't exactly right either.  

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

No problem here. :)  People progress at different rates and like different forms of endgame progression so he isn't exactly right either.  

Yes, but he isn't exactly wrong either, his statement speaks to the game's design flaw, which I am guessing you knew when he said that.

The problem is the design choice, which is something they are happy with, so I mean this isn't like an argument or a discussion, we all are on the same page here, sure it'll be great to see a lot of new content to the game.  I'd much prefer it if it didn't entirely obsolete the old content though.

Yes, but he isn't exactly wrong either, his statement speaks to the game's design flaw, which I am guessing you knew when he said that.

The problem is the design choice, which is something they are happy with, so I mean this isn't like an argument or a discussion, we all are on the same page here, sure it'll be great to see a lot of new content to the game.  I'd much prefer it if it didn't entirely obsolete the old content though.

I feel ya the game isn't perfect but I am looking forward to this expansion it sounds like there will be a lot to do, for me anyway.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Missoula, MTPosts: 1,103Member
    I blew through content so fast that when 2.1 came out I ended up quting shortly after,  Its good to see they are actually going to add content in the future, I may have to come back when that happens.    The main storyline was pretty fun and long,  but after end game of 3 months worth, really hit a wall. 
  • NetSageNetSage Lake Geneva, WIPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    That is a problem they're having I've noticed.  Sadly the only real cure for content is time to get more out.  If the expansion is as large as they say.  I imagine the combination of it and the patches people skipped until came out will end up keeping people for a long haul.
  • Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 OeldePosts: 46Member

I enjoyed my time in FFXIV ARR. It really gave me some memories I'll jerish. I left because "currently" there isn't much to do.

The problem I see with this mainly came from patch 2.1. While it introduced the Crystal Tower, new dungeons and extreme mode primals among some other things Patch 2.1 was mainly all about stuff we already had. The vertical progression offered was very minor and there was nothing for people like me - who already had good endgame gear - to really accomplish or at least that how it felt to me.

With 2.2 i will definetly return since i feel like this is where we will actually move forward.

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

Too much to do already. Havent leveled up my chocobo yet. Havent finished the main storyline. Havent done any wolves den. Currently working on crafting my own set of high level gathering gear and max melding it. Buying a house next week as well so that will be fun getting setup. I guess it depends on what you like to do. I don't raid and I rarely do dungeons except to help out friends. Im having a blast, so glad this game came out. I was wandering around mmo wastelands since SWG shut down but this has become my new home.

• Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

Selling the game at the same price of a month sub is usually not the greatest sign. That is the kind of thing TSW went right before moving to B2P. I'd be interested in seeing what the player base numbers are.

On the other hand I had $15 in my steam account and am really jonesin to play a MMROPG so I went ahead and got it today so that number is +1 for a month at least.

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Ender4
    Selling the game at the same price of a month sub is usually not the greatest sign. That is the kind of thing TSW went right before moving to B2P. I'd be interested in seeing what the player base numbers are.On the other hand I had $15 in my steam account and am really jonesin to play a MMROPG so I went ahead and got it today so that number is +1 for a month at least.

Grats on the purchase. Honestly, knowing your gaming preferences, you'll probably barely make it a month with this one haha.