Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: I’m OK with ESO Faction Turncoats

Comments

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Really? That's your counter-argument to the cash grab? You could just pre-order, apply the code and then cancel it?

And others wouldn't want it anyway? Yeah... not like there haven't been plenty of other MMOs that looked mighty interesting and eventually turned out not to have any meat to them. Can you imagine? Someone actually waiting until the game is out and the reviews are in until purchasing?

Eh, just use a method that you absolutely don't condone but still advertise anyway?

Hypocrite.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

I think they pretty much had to bow to popular opinion on this one.  For me, race unlocking means I might buy their game, where before there was little to no interest.   If the developers don't understand the draws of the universe they're working in, they'd be pretty blind.   The race that people play in Elder Scrolls has had great resonance over the past games:  The factions are just game design fiction to make their mechanics go smoother.  Guess which one means more to fans of the Elder Scrolls.....

The way they're going about it makes a certain amount of sense:  Finally forced to face reality late in development, there wasn't enough time for specialized solutions.  Race unlocking this way is just the simplest way to do it.   Though I can see a black market forming for selling pre-order accounts if they don't have a way to do the same thing in-game.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
     they're there to differentiate the alliances.

Now you can preorder and throw the alliances all out of whack, there's no immediate difference between the three alliances, anyone can belong to anything, and, to me, that breaks the entire point of splitting them up in the first place.

If they were there to differentiate the alliances, there wouldn't be humans in every alliance. 

I do agree with the other poster, instead of "any race can play as anything", they should have forced every race to start with a specific alliance and only be able to switch via some sort of betrayal questline.    

Also, they should allow people from different alliance to group for PVE.  This is what happens in the game's quests where you team up with NPCs from the other faction, so it makes no sense whatsoever that you can't team up with PCs.  

Not that "eq2 does it, so everyone should" is a good reason,  but EQ2 does it and it works out perfectly fine.  You still have very separate faction, but when it comes to PvE groups and stuff, they can group up.  And if someone wants to join the opposite faction, they can betray.  idk why more games don't set things up that way tbh.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Anthur

I don't really care about the cash grab, although it's a quite cheap way to do it.

But imo it's definately bad for AvA because it just makes all alliances too equal. The great part about DAoC RvR was that the realms were so different. Different races, different classes, different lore. That was the reason why up to now you still find Midgards who taunt (not sure it is the right word) Albs and Hibbies and vice versa.

Now ESO AvA just looks like GW2 WvW, there is no pride for your faction because it is actually just like any other faction.

Amen, brother. 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

"But I will say that there’s no heft to the argument that giving pre-orders the ability to choose any race and class is a “cash grab”. If it matters that much to a player to get in on that perk, it’s likely they’re the sort who would want to pre-order."

It is a MMO, you know a game that you play with friends? So if there is a useful feature if you want to make sure you are part of the same alliance, while still having full choice of available races, its the free choice of alliance perk. Just one very obvious example on how this could matter a lot for a practical reason and not just a simply 'I want to have it' like the typical preorder gifts.

Putting this behind a paywall in addition to the sub that you already have to pay. How can this not be a plain cash grab?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by someforumguy

"But I will say that there’s no heft to the argument that giving pre-orders the ability to choose any race and class is a “cash grab”. If it matters that much to a player to get in on that perk, it’s likely they’re the sort who would want to pre-order."

It is a MMO, you know a game that you play with friends? So if there is a useful feature if you want to make sure you are part of the same alliance, while still having full choice of available races and still play with friends, its the free choice of alliance perk. Just one very obvious example on how this could matter a lot for a practical reason and not just a simply 'I want to have it' like the typical preorder gifts.

Putting this behind a paywall in addition to the sub that you already have to pay. How can this not be a plain cash grab?

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I'm not OK with Faction Turncoats... but I don't blame the Players... I blame the Devs for the Devs set the rules.

For me this issue and other issues I have with ESO are all about "MMO philosophy" if there is such a thing. I am Faction Loyal in the MMOs I play:

In DAoC I was Albion and no other Faction,

In EnB I was strictly Jenquai,

In SWG I was Republic only, also strictly Republic only in SWTOR (yes believe it or not),

In EvE I was Gallente and Minmatar only (well there was that RP bit with the Ammatar but I defected him to the Republic anyways),

I believe MMOs should promote Faction loyalty, I am not in favor of "wishywashy players can be any race" rules.

In Skyrim the case can be made that the three Factions are far more about politics, Ideology, and business interests, I concur with that, but the option to pick a race not originally of a particular Faction should not be sold. It should either be given to everyone or nobody. The more a MMO Publisher creates differences in ingame options between Players the more the game is less and less of a true MMO in my book.

To me at least one of the things that makes an online game a MMO is that players start out with equal opportunities ingame, in contrast selling races and faction jumping is the same to me as creating a caste system in a MMO. I am opposed to such a line of thought and design in a MMO.

A big part of why I chose to never purchase ESO, why I cut ties with Zenimax, is because I disagree with how they are running this new MMO. Allowing Players to jump Faction is a part of my objections, but not a big part. My objection is that Zenimax is creating ingame differences between players based purely upon real life money spent and done so right from the start, differences that I a certain Zenimax pans to capitalize on, and that kind of business strategy I believe is wrong for any MMO.

If I didn't know better I would say ESO isn't a MMO, it's a multiplay console game with how it's being designed. I don't see a whole lot of Player cooperation or collaberation, for the business methods of Zenimax is just going to encourage Player competition, regardless of Faction allegiance.

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Jerek_

The "cash grab" augment you make assumes that we have to pre-order any game we are interested in.  That would have been true before, but at this point I'm done with pre-ordering, no matter what perks they add. 

Missing out on the normal kinds of items you get with pre-orders won't be a problem for me, but when they start linking game functionality to collectors editions and pre-orders it becomes an issue.  I don't really see it as any more of a cash grab than any other offer.  It won't convince me to pre-order games again-  I just don't feel I can know enough about an MMO to put money down before release, but knowing I can't freely choose my race or faction as punishment for not buying it blindly will stop me from buying it later.

QFTT

This, this and this once more! 

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

Where would you go if you were a Redguard Sorcerer?

Surely not home!

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Ive always thought of a race being locked behind some kind of faction wall as idiotic. Because it is idiotic.

There may be a group of humanoids (Human, Elf, Orc, Argonian Kajit) who all follow the same ethos. But there will always be some who dont tow the party line. And the fact that only preorders (and I hope it stays that way) can cross that faction line ensures that you wont see that many faction defectors. That is more realistic to the lore and gameplay than having locked races to factions.

So as an example of how faction locks are idiotic.- Imagine playing Skyrim as a Nord and only being able to join the Storm Cloaks, or playing as a High Elf and being force to be sympathetic to the Ademeri Dominion and the Imperials.

There will always be those who defect because they dont agree with their faction ethos, or maybe they agree more one of the opposing factions, or maybe they switch because they are mercenary, or were persecuted by someone in power within their own faction, or were helped in out a desperate situation by one of the others, etc.

There could ne lots of reason why say a Nord may join the Aldemeri and so on. But I dont think it would be a common occurrence.

Which is why I hope they keep it only for pre-orders, or maybe a $7.99 unlock per race in the cash shop (if they were thinking about adding it).

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I very much appreciate it when Bill (or any other writer) informs me about things I didn`t know.

I don`t care however for Bill (or any other writer) to tell me what to think about information already available to me.

Generally speaking I am aware of the fact that games cost money to make and maintain, and I am quite happy with players paying that cost. In order to persuade people to do this, I understand the need for selling stuff which players would like to pay for. It makes perfect sense to me.

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    IMO, everything that has been done in reference to pre-order and edition bonuses is a cash grab. However, that doesn't bother me in and of itself because every company is out to make money and if customers are willing to pay for it then that is on them. What does bother me is that I believe Zenimax has known from the beginning that they will have to go FTP very quickly after launch (less than 6 months is my guess). Instead of pricing this game appropriately from the outset, they have decided to try to squeeze the die hard fans who are willing to pay these amounts. When they don't hit their numbers, they will act like they have no choice but to change the business model but in reality, they have known for some time that the game will not make it long term with the current revenue model.
  • mpcolsonmpcolson Member Posts: 4

I have purchased the Imperial Digital Edition already and it really just came down to the fact I wanted ALL the things in the game to be available to me. I know it's a $20 bump but it's a choice I made and I am happy they offered.

I other blogs I have stated that this Standard Edition vs the Imperial Edition uprising is silly. It's like getting a lunch and taking the supersize or not. If you don't you get a burger fries and a drink but if supersize it you get that plus extra fries and a larger drink. People make this choice every day at fast food shops all over the world and there are no protesters outside picketing the supersize as CASH GRAB.

In todays world it is in vogue to flip your middle finger at the "Big Corporate Fat-cats" and yell foul. It's like it's a sin to want to have your company be profitable. That's just junk. No one who owns shares in a company would want their stocks to drop, they want them to grow and making a profit is what feeds the machine.

A person can choose to not buy this game, or select one of three options and as with most games today, there are perks to each price point. But those perks are NOT going to effect the game's balance or lore as I see it. And as someone else said, the pick your race, pick your alliance option will be a slight issue at worst because the items in the preorder are restricted to pre-orders and will eventually become just a minority of players that jump alliances.

I think in reality, people just need to find something to rage about.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Faction locks were bullshit from the start... In any previous ES game you were never limited by region. You can be a Khajit in Skyrim or any race for that matter.

Faction is more or less a belief or "cause" that your particular character believes in and chooses to follow...

Opening up the factions to all is the smartest decision for TESO... for one, locking factions would create a balance nightmare!

Take a look here:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/02/racial-comparison/

As an example, AD has shit for tanks...

EP has crap for mages and DC is mainly tanks.

This is all based on Racial abilities.

For the sake of MMO balance... This is by far the best design decision they could make...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by garrett
    Yep, now I can play an EbonHeart orc. 

If I play, and that's a big if. Seeing a orc in my faction of choice would be very cool on many levels. I also think the turncoat thing could make for some awesome RP options in the long run.   

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by Murphy
    (that’s one part of the ire I can understand, locking a class behind a paywall).

I think you meant race? Unless something has changed.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Gutrunner

You missed the whole point about breaking PvP. For me it has nothing to do with balance. In fact the difference from each Alliance, or realm if you will, would be welcome.

The PvP in this game is being compared to that of Dark Age of Camelot. In that game, you hated the enemy for various reasons but mainly because you could differentiate yourself from the enemy, be it race, class or something else. It was fun to hate Lurikeens because they were freaking annoying, and Animists because their shrooms were a pain to handle... all those things combined made the game and made the PvP. You had reasons why you didn't like a specific player, guild or whatever on the other side.

That is basically ruined. The lines are so blurred and the "any race for all alliances" system made it even worse. Now you can look at the lore and make that your point, but most players won't. In a split second on the battlefield, you won't be able to tell the difference between each alliance - it's just colors now. That's what bothers me.

It might not be an issue but it's still a valid concern.

This post is exactly how I feel and why I won't support this game. I am not ok at all with turncoats being allowed in PvP period.

It is one thing if it is only limited to PvE and interesting storylines, but in PvP (for immersion's sake) no. Consider this: if I were to defect to an enemy country, do you guys really think they would let me fight in their military? I seriously doubt it! They would probably have spies watching me everyday, making sure I don't betray them too. I am sure they would not trust me to go and fight on their behalf.

For odd races being born in odd places, ok, then why is it behind a paywall? It should be available as an option for everyone, not just for people paying more money. Does the game only provide choices for those who are willing to pull their wallets out more often? Then why buy to play and have a subscription? Why not just release the game as a F2A with a cash shop?

This seems to me to be becoming a major game element on the order of the race that is also hidden behind the paywall. I don't mind paying more for more stuff if it is in reason i.e. getting a new mount, some cosmetic gear that is desirable, a new title, things of that sort. But the faction thing to me is the big one because it seems really mercenary on the part of the game company to not only do an about face on the faction issue but also to only allow it for those who are willing to spend more money. This sets off alarm bells for me.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    I want to see a MMO called "Apathy of the Arts" it will make millions!
  • SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

So you are basically saying.. Since you are still allowed to "cheat" a bit and get the pre-order bonus, things are alright, no worries whatsoever. The company did the right thing.

Could not disagree more. You see many of us, you know, decent folk, pay a box, a sub fee, and expect to enjoy some basic priviledges like NOT having to cheat to get something that should be implemented in the first place. 

And do you know what the worst is? They probably won't stop here. And after 2-3 months, when they shamelessly ask euro for, say, a weapon style, most of the supporters of the pre-order decision will realise what went on. But it will be too late. The virtual tombstone will have ESO already carved on it.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by Wighty

Faction locks were bullshit from the start... In any previous ES game you were never limited by region. You can be a Khajit in Skyrim or any race for that matter.

That's fine if you're playing an Elder Scrolls game and, yes, Elder Scrolls is in the title, but this is a multiplayer version. The factions are there for no other reason than PvP, it's to quickly show who is on what side. If you have a race from another faction on your faction, then it immediately makes PvP more awkward, as you're having to double check every time you see someone.

Take, for example, a game like Counterstrike. You're playing on the side of the SWAT team (can't remember the actual sides) going against the Terrorists. You're fighting along and see another member of the SWAT team, which you think is a safe target. Seconds later and you're dead - that member has moved to the side of the Terrorists. See the problem?

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by SBFord

There’s been a lot of controversy lately about “faction turncoats” now that it’s known pre-ordering any version of Elder Scrolls Online will allow you to play any race in any faction of the game. What’s funny to me is that this is the kind of thing players have been dying for Zenimax to allow. But now that we have it (even if it’s tied to pre-orders), the folks who wanted factions to remain race-locked are now speaking out about how they think this move is a.) A cash grab or b.) Somehow wronging the lore or c.) Breaking the game’s PVP. I wanted to ramble a bit today about why I think all three upset parties are crying over a bit of spilt milk, and why this is all better for the game in my eyes.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Elder Scrolls Online:  I'm OK with Faction Turncoats.

Because both would be stupid. Additionally, you can forget the sense of belonging to a faction. There is no point to faction wars when everyone can just run around... why have the lock in the first place? Do you see where I'm going with this? The Horde didn't open its arms to Night Elves (Because a preorder said so). That'd just be silly, right? This game is made to be immersive, and what they've done right there is make it less so. Now, that won't stop me from playing, but I sure think it was a really stupid idea. All it does is to actually look more like a cash grab as folks are stating, than a positive feature.

• Considering how much weight the developers have laid on the imprtance of keeping races locked to their respective factions, it really looks like the game designers and the marketing people had a big fight, and the marketing people won. Money beats game integrity for the suits.

It's an obvious cash-in. If it wasn't, it would be a general feature not locked in behind a preorder.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

'But I will say that there’s no heft to the argument that giving pre-orders the ability to choose any race and class is a “cash grab”. If it matters that much to a player to get in on that perk, it’s likely they’re the sort who would want to pre-order.  Those who don’t like the idea, are the folks who don’t want to pre-order for the perk.'

As soon as I read the above quotation I instantly lost any and all respect for the rest of the content of your article. Making a specific feature exclusive to pre-orders, a feature highly requested by the players, especially the Elder Scrolls faction, only 2 months before launch of the game, and with no information leading up to this revelation, only to increase initial sale of boxes is nothing but a cash grab! Making 'defection' a paid for commodity instead of an achieveable feature within the game eliminates the very idea of it being defection.. There's no story to it other than 'I paid for it, thus I can'.

And here's the kicker, the 'the imperials think us all lawless beasts, I am proof of their ignorance'-moment: I like the idea! As an Elder Scrolls fan I can only commend Zenimax for providing this feature! Yet, I will not pre-order because I do not think that business of this kind is acceptable in the MMORPG genre, at least not in the subscription part of it. A developer should not charge extra for a highly sought after feature, requested by a large portion of his custumers, when he decides to include it. I think it is a kick in the face to those who supported the game, who requested this feature because they believed it would help the game in the future.

So I like the idea. But I will not pre-purchase the game. Seems to me that your statements are not valid. In fact, I found them to be very generalised and without proper evidence. I think there's ample og evidence and valid arguments for this pre-order perk to be nothing but a cash-grab and I'm ashamed that a qualified writer such as yourself resorts to such measures and downgrades valid concerns to be nothing but 'crying over a bit of spilt milk'. Remember, we're not doing it to damage the game. We're doing it because we believe it's in the best interest of the game. We want it to succeed. But we also want this to be a fair exchange.

• Unknown23Unknown23 Member Posts: 47
    How much did they pay you to write this column?
  • dkmp117dkmp117 Member Posts: 3

I could quote a bunch that i agree with, but the major thing that will keep me away is the RP side.

We're talking about player turncoats and not npcs. 'I think' with little doubt that eventually everyone can get rid of the racial lock (for a price probably) so there'd likely be a whole bunch of defectors. I imagine if there are a whole bunch of them, it just gives this 'meh' feeling.

Imagine Skyrim where the khajit are not just shunned merchants not allowed into town but are stationed as guards etc.. Argonians who are not just mere low-waged dock workers. Sure there might be exceptions but with the amount of players it's going to feel out of place. I could go on with Morrowind but ehh.. yeah.