Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Copernicus: Would you Kickstart it? What is it worth?

CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Can't confirm the validity, but with Smed bashing the Gov. of RI, I actually found some gameplay of Copernicus:

Not sure how legit they are. Apparently came from a dev at 38 studios before they tanked. 

The question is, would you kickstart it based on the videos? What do you think it's worth?

Crazkanuk

----------------
Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
----------------

Comments

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

I was really curious about this game and followed its development up until they pulled the plug on it.  I'm not generally a fan of kickstarter, but I might consider it for this project.  The problem though is I don't think they could get enough money to finish the project in the scope that it was headed on a kickstarter.  They don't need a million dollars, they need....well I don't even know how much, but considering I think that the original loan they defaulted on was around 100 million, kickstarter just wouldn't save this I don't think.  A lot of the work is done from what I hear at this point, but I don't think you could even get the rights to the IP now for a decent price because the state of RI is trying to make some money back on the default.  You figure over 20 companies showed interest in buying the rights and no one bought it so the selling price must be unrealistic (not sure what they were auctioning it for).

So by time you pay for the IP and finish the development, you would be in the territory of probably tens of millions of dollars.  That would be really hard to pull down on a kickstarter, especially for a fairly unknown IP.

Not all who wander are lost...

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Dalanon

I was really curious about this game and followed its development up until they pulled the plug on it.  I'm not generally a fan of kickstarter, but I might consider it for this project.  The problem though is I don't think they could get enough money to finish the project in the scope that it was headed on a kickstarter.  They don't need a million dollars, they need....well I don't even know how much, but considering I think that the original loan they defaulted on was around 100 million, kickstarter just wouldn't save this I don't think.  A lot of the work is done from what I hear at this point, but I don't think you could even get the rights to the IP now for a decent price because the state of RI is trying to make some money back on the default.  You figure over 20 companies showed interest in buying the rights and no one bought it so the selling price must be unrealistic (not sure what they were auctioning it for).

So by time you pay for the IP and finish the development, you would be in the territory of probably tens of millions of dollars.  That would be really hard to pull down on a kickstarter, especially for a fairly unknown IP.

Yeah, I definitely agree that the selling price must have been something unrealistic. I think if they could get 5-10 million for it, they should cut their losses and take it. Everything else, office furniture, etc. gets sold at 10 cents on the dollar, why would IP be any different? 

I'm just wondering, you know, if the interest is actually there. Like say somebody actually puts up $10 million to buy the IP, could they recoop half that through Kickstarter, or make enough to re-invest in the development? 

Alternatively, could you raise enough through Kickstarter to buy it and get volunteers from the industry to invest time in completing it, for a stake in whatever it makes? If Kickstarter allowed that... which they don't :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

I would, 100%.

Considering RI loaned them about $90 mil though, you have to wonder how much they are trying to get out of the auction for the game.  it's probably too much for the majority of development companies to want to roll the dice on.  We can only hope when they realize they aren't going to get what they want for it that they will substantially drop the price in order to have someone pick it up and finish it.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I had to check if this was the new WoW expansion...
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Looks way too generic, way too much like a pure fantasy WildStar - too similar of an art style to what EQN looks to be doing, and gameplay far, far too similar to WoW, Rift, etc.

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

Lets say it was kickstarted, the assets might never be free and clear due to ongoing legal battles.

I would theorize even if a game company bought the rights from R.I., they still may be sued from a multitude of other (currently quiet) entities who will only raise their hand if money is to be made.

Unfortunately (and in my opinion), the leadership of 38 Studios and the State of R.I. have collectively made this is a toxic asset.

Similar to Vanguard, its another example of passionate ambition without the requisite business knowledge.

-WL

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I've watched the videos and followed the game for awhile and I don't think I'd invest in the game.  I'm not sure there are many games I would invest in though, for what that's worth.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I really enjoyed Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning.

When I started playing it kinda felt like were Skyrim = Everquest, KoA: Reckoning = WoW. I mean it had everything Skyrim had yet it was more cartoony stylized looking.

At the time while playing and hearing about their online project I was kind of interested. But so many games have passed and surpased what I liked back then about KoA:R is different today.

So for me it's a "maybe" as a vote as I have no idea of it was worth it.

If you liked Skyrim and are mature enough to enjoy more stylized RPG's then I really would suggest Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning. The game is on sale everywhere or download the demo, I know there is one on Steam but bet there plenty around.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i liked KOA but i dont trust mmo kickstarters

mmo design/production is long in tooth and reeks of challenging ambition  (than actual completion)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Nadia

i liked KOA but i dont trust mmo kickstarters

mmo design/production is long in tooth and reeks of challenging ambition  (than actual completion)

What about Microsoft Game Studios? Do they need a title to go up against SOE with EQ Next on console & PC? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

What about Microsoft Game Studios? Do they need a title to go up against SOE with EQ Next on console & PC? 

who knows?  Microsoft has a horrible history with mmos

MS dropped support for Asherons Call and sold it back to Turbine

MS canceled/withdrew from their past projects of Mythica (2004), Vanguard (2006), Marvel Online (2008)

anything is possible tho

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't KS anything .. this won't be an exception.

No KS is worth a dime to me .. until they have a product i can actually buy.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by CrazKanuk What about Microsoft Game Studios? Do they need a title to go up against SOE with EQ Next on console & PC? 
    who knows?  Microsoft has a horrible history with mmos

MS dropped support for Asherons Call and sold it back to Turbine

MS canceled/withdrew from their past projects of Mythica (2004), Vanguard (2006), Marvel Online (2008)

anything is possible tho

I'm not sure I'd call walking away from some dog's as a horrible history. (AC was the only one that I suspect most folks would really say was a debatable call.)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The biggest hurtle would the the price tag on even getting the rights. I think it's around 60 million, and that's for an unfinished game.

I don't think kickstarter is going to save this project.

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by DamonVile

The biggest hurtle would the the price tag on even getting the rights. I think it's around 60 million, and that's for an unfinished game.

I don't think kickstarter is going to save this project.

Yeah Kickstarter wouldn't even put a dent in what RI is looking to obtain for selling the game.

If Braid McQuaid can't even get 1/2 of his $800k goal on a new MMO I doubt this project that most people have already forgotten about would make much money at all on Kickstarter.

The only thing that can save it is another development company willing to throwdown the cash and accept the risk involved.

I really enjoyed KOA and the art style so I think I would have had a lot of fun in this world.  Sad to think it may never go anywhere.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I don't KS anything .. this won't be an exception.

No KS is worth a dime to me .. until they have a product i can actually buy.

Same here, I won't Kickstart any project regardless, but after looking at the videos, even if I was the KS sort, I would never give a dime to this thing, period.  

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Very unlikely, based on the footage shown.  Graphically it looks good, and if that's the real soundtrack, then the music is very relaxing and well done (probably dubbed in, though).

But there isn't much innovation.  Combat looks like typical non-choreographed hack & slash with a multitude of particle effects to hide it's shallowness.  Swing club .. animations on all PC(s) & NPC(s) involved is the same whether it's a hit or a miss, etc... everyone stands there and fights.  Mounts are summoned out of thin air, ala WoW.  There just doesn't appear to be any substance.

It looks like an MMORPG in the making, definitely.  But one in the $100 mil range?  I'd call it bad management for starters, and any kickstarter dollars will just evaporate away to nothing.

From an educational standpoint though, Copernicus is an excellent case study.  It could be made even better if a kickstarter did actually happen.  What happens when you throw even more money at a project that is doomed to be a clone anyways?  Go for it, I'll just take notes!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.