Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Elder Scrolls Online: "How We Did It" - Creating Dark Anchors

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,596MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Zenimax has updated the Elder Scrolls Online site with a new developer diary to show the design process behind the Dark Anchor encounters. The diary goes in to the detail about early iterations of the Dark Anchors and how the team wanted to be sure that they were something players would want to explore via sound and detailed visuals.

There’s more to the Anchors than just the intimidating sights and sounds, though. Massive chains drive into the ground, and Daedra pulled from Oblivion pour from the inter-planar space, causing chaos in the vicinity. To loosen the grip of the Anchor, you’ll have to gather allies and drive the monsters back, but it won’t be easy. Dark Anchor encounters feature a huge amount of variations, and you never know exactly what you’ll be up against. To give them even more flavor and challenge, we added a selection of randomized special bosses. You might even find yourself facing one of Molag Bal’s own generals as you fight to send the Anchor back to Oblivion. The whole experience, from the frightening sounds to the chaotic battle, is complemented by Molag Bal himself (voiced by Malcolm McDowell) taunting you—daring you to defy him and laughing at your feeble attempts to defeat his champions.

Read the full developer diary on the Elder Scrolls Online site.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Solon, MEPosts: 2,201Member Uncommon
    Sooo... Rifts?

Smile

• angrielangriel KrakowPosts: 43Member
    So much cooler than rifts :)
  • curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon
    So many words for so simple content... They couldnt make them simpler even if they wanted. Im not saying they are bad but i would say they are totally meh.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Solon, MEPosts: 2,201Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by angriel
    So much cooler than rifts :)

I'll believe it when I see it. Right now it sounds like death rifts to me.

Smile

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Seaton, ILPosts: 58Member
    You did it like Rift? I don't have much more to say sad really.

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• Nothing all that exciting, but more options and things to do are always a plus.
  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    you guys are so jaded and complain about everything. So more leveling options and fun gets thrown down to Rift did it first so its meh? Seriously some of you need to get lives and check your attitudes. Rift took all that mess from warhammer and guild wars 2 took it to the next level from Rift. It adds fun proven options for players to enjoy besides quest grinding.
  • orbitxoorbitxo fort lauderdale, FLPosts: 1,405Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by cronius77
    you guys are so jaded and complain about everything. So more leveling options and fun gets thrown down to Rift did it first so its meh? Seriously some of you need to get lives and check your attitudes. Rift took all that mess from warhammer and guild wars 2 took it to the next level from Rift. It adds fun proven options for players to enjoy besides quest grinding.

oh u didnt !!!just mention warhammer n gw2 in the same sentence as rift...

Rift so original ...well they literally carried the same concept into a scifi show...

<.<

• cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by orbitxo

oh u didnt !!!just mention warhammer n gw2 in the same sentence as rift...

Rift so original ...well they literally carried the same concept into a scifi show...

<.<

lol ha Yeah I for one loved the entire public quest thing in all of those games. Anything that adds verity to leveling gets my approval. More options makes games better, and in Rift that was the only way I enjoyed leveling was doing Rifts and events and the warfronts. Im glad ESO is using games like that to draw some of the best features from and improve upon them.

• RocknissRockniss Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,034Member
    Remarkable!
  • deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Sooo... Rifts?

Soooo....you do realise that rift didn't invent that mechanic and that the elder scrolls games did it first (oblivion gates) by quite a few years (2006)

• deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by EugeneKDudley
    You did it like Rift? I don't have much more to say sad really.

You mean trion (rift) did it like oblivion?

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

they both got it from RIFTS!

just kidding

• RelGnRelGn halalaPosts: 494Member
    Es games had rifts in oblivion before rift.so

• curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon

I think the problem here is that ESO took it several years back.

• KatillaKatilla Nashua, NHPosts: 682Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by deakon
    Sooo... Rifts?

Soooo....you do realise that rift didn't invent that mechanic and that the elder scrolls games did it first (oblivion gates) by quite a few years (2006)

this, noobs ^^

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by deakon
    Sooo... Rifts?

lol, interesting that you say that. When Rift came out I thought "damn, they took that from Oblivion!"

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon
    How...well first we looked at Rift then we looked at GW2 portals...if they weren't static I'd be interested.
  • AnirethAnireth Posts: 599Member Uncommon

So every time i visit the site, it takes me to the age gate. When i succesfully enter a birthday that makes me old enough, it takes me to the main page, instead of the article. When i click at the article on their page, it takes me to the age gate.

If that is the quality we can expect from ESO..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• orbitxoorbitxo fort lauderdale, FLPosts: 1,405Member Uncommon

heres my story.

been in their previous betas-no problem.

last weekends beta i had issues login in the big black screen issue. posted on forums along with a few more dozen folks...and no reply.

research online, check their Fb and tweet pages...- nothing.

even asked in chat becouse i was able to log in with a black screen- no results.

their costumer support really stinks. if this persists at game  launch i will  be asking for a refund.

tech support beter get their game on- weekend stress tests wont cut it.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,551Member Uncommon

elder scrolls had rifts before rift from Oblivion.

I do hope in some later expansion they actually bring in the Oblivion gates where players can enter and fight through hordes of Dremora to close the Oblivion Gate like in Oblivion but this time with other people.

• AlomarAlomar Middle Earth, NJPosts: 447Member Uncommon
    Absolutely splendid to see a variety of methods to level up to spice up the typical quest grind. I'd like to see more public questing in mmo's like Warhammer did, one of the few features GW2 did right was take advantage of group questing (besides being a casual oriented piece of non-meaningful updated trashfest, imo =) ).

Dozens of MMO's, RTS's, FPS's, etc.

• the420kidthe420kid Hamilton, ONPosts: 440Member Uncommon
    they basicaly are rifts or dynamic events or whatever some of the recent games with this feature has called them such as gw2 / rift and a few others but honestly who cares if its not original these kinds of dynamic events that happen in the world are pretty fun and they break up questing why would any1 have a problem with adding this content into teso I dont know you guys are just jaded imo.
  • zaylinzaylin Olympia, WAPosts: 789Member
    Sooo... Rifts?

Warhammer Online had public quests too, so does gw2, their one of the new Norm mechanics with new mmos, a least from what ive seen thus far

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    An mmorpg without raiding is a FPS without gun or a football game without the option of tournaments or a war game without being able to fly a plane.

That is very closed minded man, and i personally don't agree with that.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development