Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Treasure maps video - they are like in Red Dead Redemption

LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I just saw this video, the treasure map thing looks pretty cool actually.  Figured it would be more lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTQMINsV170&feature=youtu.be&t=21m22s

Comments

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Wow, best "review/preview" thus far?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis

I agree a lot with this guy......  espescially the part about the instancing... should be improved before release...

With instances give people the option to choose single player/group or open world

Halfway trough the video now...... and i think this is the first actuall review that i see.... by far the best so far

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis

I agree a lot with this guy......  espescially the part about the instancing... should be improved before release...

With instances give people the option to choose single player/group or open world

Halfway trough the video now...... and i think this is the first actuall review that i see.... by far the best so far

Too bad his video has few lower views than ....certain other youtube "personality" or PROFESSIONAL gaming journalist/MMO sites.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135

His thoughts seemed very reminiscent of my own and, in general, I agree with his points. I especially liked the fact that he talked about the different mindsets and how that can alter your enjoyment of the game. It's no secret that ESO will have things that could be considered inferior to Skyrim, but those are drawbacks that come with the fact that it's a massively multiplayer online game (the game also has other unrelated negative aspects, no game is perfect, but I believe the positives far outweigh them). Furthermore, to me the singular most important reason for playing MMO's is to play it with other people, and that will never be possible in Skyrim (realistically speaking), so I see no point in measuring ESO against Skyrim.

That is why I find it much more relevant to compare it to other MMO's, because those are the real contenders in the competition for my attention. When seen as an MMO, tested as an MMO, and compared to other MMO's, I believe this game to be vastly superior in the quality of the questing, how the player interacts with the world, the combat, the graphics, the music, the freedom of exploration, the character building, the crafting and gathering, and most importantly the overall immersion factor.

Like him, I have not even touched the AvA content, and I am a huge PvP fan, so that may be another very good reason for me to stick around with ESO.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Glad this video caught traction in another thread. I posted it, but everyone seems to have glazed over that thread.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    So basically anyone can make a youtube video and claim they're allowed to talk about the game? 
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    So basically anyone can make a youtube video and claim they're allowed to talk about the game? 

(Looks at Angry Joe)

Looks like it yes!

:P

Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Glad this video caught traction in another thread. I posted it, but everyone seems to have glazed over that thread.

Its probably the thread title, that somehow not draws the attention this video deserves...

It shows whats the game is about... he even tells what to expect.. and what to like.... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    It's a nice little mechanic, definitely a good addition.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I always enjoyed the treasure maps in Skyrim. They can be a really fun distraction, and can be quite obscure in certain cases.
  • sleeping1252sleeping1252 Member Posts: 16

This review mentions the most important problem in the game.

If you are in a group, caves/castles/buildings/quest content should be instanced to you and your group alone (if you choose so).

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by blastermaster

(Looks at Angry Joe)

Looks like it yes!

Angry Joe actually makes a living as a game reporter, who actually does interviews with people who make games. 

He's not some nerdy kid with a youtube channel. 

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    That's good to know.  Most MMOers will be clicking on map like mad trying to "unlock" a quest and might think it's broken. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

This makes the game seem so much better than the impressions were making out the game to be.

This is why it would be nice if the devs made a video highlting their vision of the experiences they want us to have... however, when watching this video and his mention of powerplayers, I can see why devs dont want to say how their mmo is one specific experience or one specific style of pvp, or what not, since it does create a list of expectations by using lended words from other games, and might make people hyped over the wrong thing, or revealing something that the majority have not experienced in mmos and do not want to try it.

Maybe its something ppl have to get accustomed to, since a review i also watched was that a person played up to lvl 15 and then after wards they really began to enjoy the game. I suppose the expectations of elder series, and expectations of themepark mmos creates a certain prejudice which can affect the enjoyment of the game.

Regardless, things like this make the game much greater for the players to immerse themselves in something that feels like a virtual reality beyond the obvious foe that needs to be slain.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

(Looks at Angry Joe)

Looks like it yes!

Angry Joe actually makes a living as a game reporter, who actually does interviews with people who make games. 

I know right...  Yet, I find this "nerd" review a lot more professional that what Joe did..

but I guess you will say that is because I share is views more than the ones from Angry Joe, which might be right to a point (everything is subjective).  But to me, this guy looked at it with perspective, and pretty objectively, and took the game for what it is, not what he thought it should be, like most of those "game reporter" that live by the number of hits they get...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

(Looks at Angry Joe)

Looks like it yes!

As much as I usually enjoy Angry Joe videos, where do you think he came from? He's always been 'some nerdy kid with a youtube channel', he just puts more effort into it than most. And while yes, he does get money for what he does, that doesn't make his opinions more valid. And it doesn't make them less bias.

In fact, most of the opinion pieces for games are from hobbyists (professional or not). Even big names like Total Biscuit came from making nerdy videos on their free time on youtube (in his case it was WoW videos). All reviewers have bias (no matter how hard they try to avoid it), and it's up to us (the viewers) to determine whether those bias' conflict with our own or not.

In the case of Angry Joe's video, he doesn't make a very objective case. It's clear going in that he brought certain expectations to the table, and and disliked that those expectations were not met. The reviewer in this thread, however, is trying to take a more objective view of the game than most, highlighting both pros and cons about the game, instead of whining about things he wish it had.

I have no idea who this kid is, but he shows a lot of traits that are key towards being a good reviewer / critic. Ones that the vast majority either lack, or aren't consistant with (angry joe, while honest, isn't an exception to this). I think for people who are able to take a step back, and view the game with a more open / objective mindset, this opinion video will be very informative. It does a good job of not only showing off how the game actually plays, but the type of gamers who will most likely not enjoy it.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

I just saw this video, the treasure map thing looks pretty cool actually.  Figured it would be more lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTQMINsV170&feature=youtu.be&t=21m22s

This is a cool feature, I have not seen such a treasure map in beta. Its really clever.

And it is also true that game is really not something for "POWER PLAYERS".

There are probably some power players in this forum here, they thought that questing sucks. They want to hunt rather mobs for rewards and big xp amounts instead of questing and following a story.

I have the feeling such people did not play the TES series before since story questing is a strenght of it and in ESO.

Overall this guy hits the nail for a lot of points, good review.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Some of the Treasure maps you have to really rack your brain over.  Also some quests don't tell you what you need to do, just to read a piece of paper to find out what you need... so I suggest actually reading the fricking scrap piece of paper if it seems quest relevant.... also the scraps found in caves are very, very interesting.

(Looks at Angry Joe)

Looks like it yes!

I know right...  Yet, I find this "nerd" review a lot more professional that what Joe did..

but I guess you will say that is because I share is views more than the ones from Angry Joe, which might be right to a point (everything is subjective).  But to me, this guy looked at it with perspective, and pretty objectively, and took the game for what it is, not what he thought it should be, like most of those "game reporter" that live by the number of hits they get...

Angry Joe makes money by being angry about ganes... Trashing things up, and sometimes it is even funny untill you realise that its kind of unfair to hardworking developers

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708

There definitely is a uniqueness to the game that you don't get in any other mmo out.  The pure sense of adventure IS in the game, from picking up stuff out of crates, barrels, stuff off a table, treasure chests, etc, etc  Zen/Beth have already said that they will allow for add-ons in the game.  If youve been in a test, you know theres already an add-on button in the game but nothing can be activated so far so, that means that there WILL be ways to get numbers popping up, numbers in a combat log, dmg logs, etc as there have been in previous mmos.  All those add-ons will be up to the players to download and use upon their choice.  

As for the "power" gamer, we cant say much just yet and I think some people are jumping to conclusion without knowing much about the end-game just yet.  We do know there will be endgame content in the 50+, 50++, Veteran dungeons, and Adventure zones.  With that said, currently we do not know much about adventure zones and this is what I am and probably everyone else is excited to hear more about.  We don't know what style of content they are going to be other then that they will be 12 man zones.  So in other words, raids.  But, how are they going to function? Will they be outdoor large zones with raid mobs in them, will they follow the traditional mmo raid thats very linear in nature, or how will they be?  We dont know yet and Im starting to get alittle impatient with them over this because for those hardcore PvErs, they feel right now that there isnt any content for them to do because of the lack of information from their part so that means that a certain amount of players wont purchase the game because of this.

Zen NEEDS to release more information on adventure zones ASAP so that those power players have something to drool over and look forward to.  

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I liked the maps in Skyrim, but often i run into the chests without any map.

It would be cool if one could hide his own stashes anywhere and draw a map to, then leave the map somewhere for others to find.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    lol people actually watched the entire video?
  • CirandraCirandra Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Katilla
    lol people actually watched the entire video?

yes we did?