Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Eso a dumbed down 5 button game, ID rather log into _ _ _.

WarWitchWarWitch charlotte, NCPosts: 104Member Uncommon

What is happening to our mmo's ??? I am older for sure, I thought  mmos would become more complex. I rember when we dreamed of being able to have sound coming from our computers. I rember when we used to dream of having pictures on our computers. I keep hopeing for more challenging play but I have to admit lately its seams the trend is dumer and dumer games.

5 attacks a potion slot and elite skill is going to get boaringly repetitive very fast.

Walking around spamming e thousands of times at boxes etc is going to hurt our hands.

EVERYTHING in the eso world is kinda washed out dul brown looking.

Zenimax, hun, if u make a dumbed down, simple, repetive, slow moving game and charge a monthly fee for and have a cash shop and charge 80 dollars for people to try it, it is not going to last in the mmo market.

The charcter models don't look sexy or strong and the armour looks horrable and bland.     

«13456

Comments

  • deveilbladdeveilblad Saint-Constant, QCPosts: 177Member

    Actually, you have 10 skills and 2 ultimate because of weapon swapping PLUS light and heavy attacks and an active blocking system. So that would be...15 ''abilities'' (counting attacks and blocking as you have to press something, so I consider it an ability like pressing 1 throught 6...), not 5.

     

    Less abilities doesn't mean the game is dumbed down, it means you can focus more on what is on screen instead of doing your crazy 18 buttons rotation in your tab-target typical MMO. Unfortunately, if I read your comment right, you think more buttons=more complex gameplay and less ''dumbed down''...So I guess you will never be satisfied until your whole screen has action bars and your typical rotation has 72 buttons in it lol...

     

    Also, the game is not simple, repetitve (well, a LITTLE, but all MMOs are...) or slow moving... I don't know where you got that.

     

    Everything being brown and dark colors, there is a lot of colors and the lighting is amazing. No, it doesn't have crazy yellow or electric blue everywhere on the screen, but that's what a non-cartoony MMO looks like...

     

    I agree the character models....well it's more the armor models really... are not top notch, but that is to allow huge 500 vs 500 battles without getting 2 FPS.

     

     

  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon

    lol if you think mashing 15 buttons or four hot bars worth of skills takes skill then stick to your tab targeting games. Even players in wow are sick of ability bloat to the point blizzard is addressing it in this upcoming expansion. As this game being ugly and the character models are terrible? I guess of a matter of opinion but show me a better looking mmorpg please? Guild Wars2 arguably is about it and thats a matter of opinion because some of that models in that game look ridiculous imo. 

    [mod edit]

  • Furion-HunterFurion-Hunter kingston upon thamesPosts: 43Member

    just saying at 15 u choose another weapon slot so thats 12 spells inc ultimates.

     

    Just goes to show, how much you tested the game.

  • DenambrenDenambren Montreal, QCPosts: 320Member Uncommon

    You remember DC Universe Online, right?

     

    Another console MMO incoming.

     

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

     

    When you take all the fear of losing out of a game does it really matter how many skills you mash for victory ?

  • WarjinWarjin Harrisburg, PAPosts: 1,215Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by WarWitch

    What is happening to our mmo's ??? I am older for sure, I thought  mmos would become more complex. I rember when we dreamed of being able to have sound coming from our computers. I rember when we used to dream of having pictures on our computers. I keep hopeing for more challenging play but I have to admit lately its seams the trend is dumer and dumer games.

    5 attacks a potion slot and elite skill is going to get boaringly repetitive very fast.

    Walking around spamming e thousands of times at boxes etc is going to hurt our hands.

    EVERYTHING in the eso world is kinda washed out dul brown looking.

    Zenimax, hun, if u make a dumbed down, simple, repetive, slow moving game and charge a monthly fee for and have a cash shop and charge 80 dollars for people to try it, it is not going to last in the mmo market.

    The charcter models don't look sexy or strong and the armour looks horrable and bland.     

    This is a shooter combat game how could you have 30+ skills and still use the mouse to attack?

    Also the skill cap in this type of game blows and 30+ skill tab targeting game out the water, you have to aim to hit, beside what elders scroll game have you played with 30+ buttons? 

  • udonudon Durham, NCPosts: 1,797Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile

     

    When you take all the fear of losing out of a game does it really matter how many skills you mash for victory ?

    Have you played this game past level 5 or are you basing your statements on impressions you have read of the tutorial zone?

  • SinakuSinaku Austin, TXPosts: 481Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by DamonVile
     When you take all the fear of losing out of a game does it really matter how many skills you mash for victory ?

    Very well said. I am extremely unimpressed with TESO which I have been saying for months.

  • osc8rosc8r SydPosts: 687Member
    Originally posted by Warjin 

    This is a shooter combat game how could you have 30+ skills and still use the mouse to attack?

    Also the skill cap in this type of game blows and 30+ skill tab targeting game out the water, you have to aim to hit, beside what elders scroll game have you played with 30+ buttons? 

    You are in for a shock.

  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Stanksville, OHPosts: 269Member Common

    Indeed.

    Also, switching weapons in combat (to account for tiny skillsets) is still as dumb as when GW2 tried it.

  • MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community Manager Queens, NYPosts: 5,717Administrator Uncommon
    Complexity =/= depth.

    Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

  • Rollcage8Rollcage8 SydneyPosts: 63Member
    Originally posted by DamonVile

     

    When you take all the fear of losing out of a game does it really matter how many skills you mash for victory ?

    Fear should never be used as a motivator in a video game, and although that means death doesn't mean as much, you can still create a challenge with gameplay choices during a combat scenario. 

    And the amount of buttons and what those buttons do is a determining factor of creating enjoyment in a game not driven by fear. 

  • AsheramAsheram San Diego, CAPosts: 1,989Member Uncommon

    That is the only gripe I have about this game- the 5 slots

    I didn't care for gw2 weapon swap to get more skills nor do I this.

    image
  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Asheram

    That is the only gripe I have about this game- the 5 slots

    I didn't care for gw2 weapon swap to get more skills nor do I this.

    I played a ton of skyrim since release and even added in the perks mods to change up things. With that being said I found the skill system amounts fine considering you didnt have any hotbar in skyrim just your power and fast attacks. 

  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 1,930Member Common
    Well at least the skill bar is free !!
  • kueykuey SydneyPosts: 39Member
    I'd have disagreed with the difficulty issue if only the battle system wasn't so clunky and the AI so poor. Limited skills with those issues thrown in make the battle system very lack luster. Otherwise it's a very good game, but as the other aspects aren't really part of this topic, that's a story for another time.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,272Member Uncommon

    Right, plus active blocking with analog (style) basic attacks, and weapon switch, with interrupts/counters.  

     

     

  • DraemosDraemos Antartica, AKPosts: 1,469Member
    Originally posted by Asheram

    That is the only gripe I have about this game- the 5 slots

    I didn't care for gw2 weapon swap to get more skills nor do I this.

    You can put the same weapon in both slots, at that point its just a hotbar switch.  It's a non issue.

  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

    i understand people arguments for less abilities but, i ahve a major issue with it. 

    if the game gives me 15 abilities each of which are still usefull to me i would like the option to use those abilites when i want to. giveing me said 15 abilities ( im useing a general number here just for reference) but says i can only use 5 or even 10 with weapon swapping still means there are 5 i cant use, THAT PISSES ME OFF.

    im sorry but if you wanted me to only be able to use a set number of abilites then only GIVE me a set number of abilites that i can actully learn. im sick of games that go you can have 100 diffrent abilites learned by your charecter but you can only use 5 of them i hated it in guild wars and i still hate it here.

    so to make it simple if i have a abilit learned on a charecter i should be able to use it whenever i want. if the game dousnt want that kind of thing dont let me learn so many abilites then block it behind limited hotbat slots. i fial to understand why people are cool with this its the dumbest thing i ever heard.

     

    F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

  • skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member
    Originally posted by tristanryan
    Originally posted by osc8r

    How many of your ranged attacks and abilities require a target before you can use them?

    How many of your ranged attacks and abilities DON'T auto home?

    Sadly it's nothing like a shooter, just more of the same old same old.

     

    I am so happy to see this issue brought up because i have searched high and low for a discussion on this. I don't know what this system is called but i am not happy one bit.

    Ive been wanting to comment on this are we allowed to talk about it (nda)?

     

    I was extremely disappointed minutes into game when a mob cast magic at me, i dodged, and the magic literally turned 90 degrees followed me and hit me. I sat there for a minute after killing the creature while my mind processed my disappointment.

    Then you might have stopped playing each and every Tab based MMO as well. I cannot understand how people can come up with the auto lock argument everytime when MMOs have been doing this for all eternity. Melee combat has no lock and is full free form. Ranged combat requires it and it has. Only other alternative would be to make all ranged attacks huge AoEs like Wildstar. Even Tera uses auto target detection on some ranged attacks while rest are AoEs. The auto attacks without locks are instant and just high speed projectiles.

    image
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by tristanryan
    Originally posted by osc8r

    How many of your ranged attacks and abilities require a target before you can use them?

    How many of your ranged attacks and abilities DON'T auto home?

    Sadly it's nothing like a shooter, just more of the same old same old.

     

    I am so happy to see this issue brought up because i have searched high and low for a discussion on this. I don't know what this system is called but i am not happy one bit.

    Ive been wanting to comment on this are we allowed to talk about it (nda)?

     

    I was extremely disappointed minutes into game when a mob cast magic at me, i dodged, and the magic literally turned 90 degrees followed me and hit me. I sat there for a minute after killing the creature while my mind processed my disappointment.

    Then you might have stopped playing each and every Tab based MMO as well. I cannot understand how people can come up with the auto lock argument everytime when MMOs have been doing this for all eternity. Melee combat has no lock and is full free form. Tanged combat requires it and it has. Only other alternative would be to make all ranged attacks huge AoEs like Wildstar. Even Tera uses auto target detection on some ranged attacks while rest are AoEs. The auto attacks without locks are instant and just high speed projectiles.

    first to answer the question in early qoute its called soft locks i beleave, in stead of tab targeting which we all know, or the more standard FPS style targeeting where what you hit you hit and what you miss you miss soft targeting ( someone give me the correct name i know im useing wrong one) is a sytem that mimics FPS style but is actully locking on to a target to use abilites.

    now it has its good points and bad point and i understand why peope want more traditional FPS style iagree but the draw back there is lag. this is a MMO and no matter what you do lag will be a major issue. the only way to get away from the lag issue is to let the client hndle the targeting and hit codeing instead of server side, but tis has a even greater draw back, that being hackers.

    play a few FPS games that do target client side and quickly relize how awash they are in cheaters its amazingly annoying and impossable to stop.

    so while i agree that its not as much fun i understand why it was done this way.

    F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

  • Originally posted by MikeB
    Complexity =/= depth.

    More buttons != more complex.

    More complex != more interesting.

    More complex != harder. (Don't talk to me about NP-Hard problems)

    Simple doesn't mean easy. (Don't people's parents teach this?  Mine did.)

    Elegance is harder than complexity.  Far far far harder

     

    Complexity is a crutch for poor designers.

  • quixadhalquixadhal Kalamazoo, MIPosts: 215Member
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by tristanryan
    Originally posted by osc8r

    How many of your ranged attacks and abilities require a target before you can use them?

    How many of your ranged attacks and abilities DON'T auto home?

    Sadly it's nothing like a shooter, just more of the same old same old.

     

    I am so happy to see this issue brought up because i have searched high and low for a discussion on this. I don't know what this system is called but i am not happy one bit.

    Ive been wanting to comment on this are we allowed to talk about it (nda)?

     

    I was extremely disappointed minutes into game when a mob cast magic at me, i dodged, and the magic literally turned 90 degrees followed me and hit me. I sat there for a minute after killing the creature while my mind processed my disappointment.

    Then you might have stopped playing each and every Tab based MMO as well. I cannot understand how people can come up with the auto lock argument everytime when MMOs have been doing this for all eternity. Melee combat has no lock and is full free form. Ranged combat requires it and it has. Only other alternative would be to make all ranged attacks huge AoEs like Wildstar. Even Tera uses auto target detection on some ranged attacks while rest are AoEs. The auto attacks without locks are instant and just high speed projectiles.

    Can I have some of the kool-aid you're drinking?

     

    In what dream world do ranged attacks *require* target locking?  They certainly do not, and the idea is crazy.  Have you ever fired a ranged weapon in real life?  Did you get a nice target lock to help you aim?  I know I didn't.  The best I can hope for is a laser dot to tell me where the projectile is going to strike (provided wind doesn't change it's course too much).

     

    Even in pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons, there were very few attacks that would always hit.  The classic "magic missile" was about it.  Lightning? Nope... could be dodged or it could strike cover instead of you.  Fireball?  Nope... even though it's an AOE, if you had cover the blast could go around you.

     

    It would be trivial to simply give projectile attacks a very narrow cone AOE, so if you were within a few degrees of the target, it would hit... but if the target moves out of that narrow arc, it misses.  Having spells follow you around corners is stupid, unless it's part of the spell's nature -- and then it should be balanced to be weaker or more expensive than similar non-guided spells.

     

  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal st clair shores, MIPosts: 809Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by deveilblad

    Actually, you have 10 skills and 2 ultimate because of weapon swapping PLUS light and heavy attacks and an active blocking system. So that would be...15 ''abilities'' (counting attacks and blocking as you have to press something, so I consider it an ability like pressing 1 throught 6...), not 5.

     

    Less abilities doesn't mean the game is dumbed down, it means you can focus more on what is on screen instead of doing your crazy 18 buttons rotation in your tab-target typical MMO. Unfortunately, if I read your comment right, you think more buttons=more complex gameplay and less ''dumbed down''...So I guess you will never be satisfied until your whole screen has action bars and your typical rotation has 72 buttons in it lol...

     

    Also, the game is not simple, repetitve (well, a LITTLE, but all MMOs are...) or slow moving... I don't know where you got that.

     

    Everything being brown and dark colors, there is a lot of colors and the lighting is amazing. No, it doesn't have crazy yellow or electric blue everywhere on the screen, but that's what a non-cartoony MMO looks like...

     

    I agree the character models....well it's more the armor models really... are not top notch, but that is to allow huge 500 vs 500 battles without getting 2 FPS.

     

     

    Finally a gamer that understands game design!!! Most gamers think Devs can make God of WAR with 4 million polys models, and have 80 FPS!!! They dont understand MMO's would lag like hell!!   They just don't understand..  

     

    @ OpFYI, if us dev made harder games gamers today would have a heart attack, and not play it. I  have made small scale tough games and people whine, its to hard . This is why WOW is the  most played MMO, because its easy..!! Why do you think I like indies, because we will make something harder and different...  But then  people cry OMG the graphics arent great!!

     

    Gamers want it all and for free, if your an older gamer, you would understand, we work for  living to, and to give you it all would require more money from you!. Which will never happen, so they need to balance it. Plus not everyone has a  high end machine. People  whined about SWTOR, when in fact they said from day 1 they were going to have lower graphics on purpose so people with low end machines could play to. 

     

    AOC made an amazing looking game but hardly anyone could play it, so many companys know better than to do what they did. So they rather listen to you all whine, the graphics are never  good enough. I 3d model and been an artist for over twenty years in gaming industry. ESO,  is fine for an MMO, and better than fine, the shaders are amazing, so you guys need to open your eyes better and know what type of game it is. Just because you don't see shiney objects like WOW, that doesn't make it better LOL... I have heard this from people for years, they think since its not shiney that its bad graphics. This has always made me laugh so loud at you guys.!!

  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Complexity =/= depth.

    More buttons != more complex.

    More complex != more interesting.

    More complex != harder. (Don't talk to me about NP-Hard problems)

    Simple doesn't mean easy. (Don't people's parents teach this?  Mine did.)

    Elegance is harder than complexity.  Far far far harder

     

    Complexity is a crutch for poor designers.

    and simplicity is a crutch for designers who cant balence a game efficently

    F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.