Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Most Wanted RPGs of 2014

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A couple of weeks ago, we took a look at six independently developed RPGs that are on the books for release in 2014. In today’s List, we take a look at ten promising single-player RPGs in development or already released by larger gaming studios. See if your favorite title made The List.

Read more of Suzie Ford's The List: The Most Wanted RPGs of 2014.

Deep Down for Playstation 4

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Not sure how but I completely missed any information on Project Eternity. Just watched the Kickstarter video and really excited about it. I loved the Infinity Engine games and it looks like we may be getting a few, pretty similar, this year / early next year.

Looks to be a good year for RPG enthusiasts.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Lots of interesting stuff coming out this year on the RPG side of things.

I also hope we'll hear more about Cyberpunk 2077 and some other games that are likely still far off.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I also hope we'll hear more about Cyberpunk 2077.

^this.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Lots of interesting stuff coming out this year on the RPG side of things.

I also hope we'll hear more about Cyberpunk 2077 and some other games that are likely still far off.

Great idea! Maybe a list of "Most Anticipated RPGs Coming...After 2014" :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Originally posted by Avarix

Not sure how but I completely missed any information on Project Eternity. Just watched the Kickstarter video and really excited about it. I loved the Infinity Engine games and it looks like we may be getting a few, pretty similar, this year / early next year.

Looks to be a good year for RPG enthusiasts.

What's really great is that you can still back Project Eternity if you choose to do so. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

No Fallout 4?  Well.  Sad Panda doesn't begin to describe how I feel about that.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by lizardbones

No Fallout 4?  Well.  Sad Panda doesn't begin to describe how I feel about that.

ya. i don't think they've even announced a follow up title to that game yet. it would be great to see though.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by lizardbones

ya. i don't think they've even announced a follow up title to that game yet. it would be great to see though.

That's why I left it off the list. Since it's not even announced, let alone ready for release in 2014 pretty much eliminated it from the competition.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Witcher 3 most interesting to me.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Shadow of Mordor, Assassin's Creed clone or not, I'm so stoked for. That and Deep Down.  Glad I bought a PS4 for that.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Bought MMX 2 days ago on Steam. Didnt get much time until now, but it looks like a nice retro RPG.

And for the Future: Witcher 3 sounds promising and every game in the world of Torment will be on my watchlist. Planescape Torment is and will be the best ever created RPG. No other opinions allowed!

Hodor!

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Deep Down really looks amazing I just hope the game is as good as its graphics.
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Project Eternity has been officially titled Pillars of Eternity. Curious that Wasteland 2 wasn't on the list, course it may not bee high on the OP's radar. It's just as much RPG as PoE.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr
    Project Eternity has been officially titled Pillars of Eternity. Curious that Wasteland 2 wasn't on the list, course it may not bee high on the OP's radar. It's just as much RPG as PoE.

It was on the list of indie RPGs from 2 weeks ago as linked in the first paragraph. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HolyTrevorHolyTrevor Member UncommonPosts: 55
    what about destiny?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Well no sooner was the Indie list released and there were calls for another list of ten to be made due to omissions. Same here I guess. As always wait until you see a review not a preview, then buy. 
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

"Fans of Middle Earth..." Just no to this. Any real fan of Middle Earth may be looking forward to a new game set in that world, but most definitely do not agree with what Warner Bros. is doing to the IP with this title.

Will I play it? Most definitely! Do I agree with the more than ridiculous concept that doesn't exist anywhere in Middle Earth's lore or history? Most definitely not! And I am sure poor J.R.R. Tolkien is rolling in his grave.

Also to those who have played Might & Magic X, how is the game? I've been looking to try it but don't know much.

Smile

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Scot
    Well no sooner was the Indie list released and there were calls for another list of ten to be made due to omissions. Same here I guess. As always wait until you see a review not a preview, then buy. 

Well, unlike the indie list, this one actually has just RPGs and isn't taking into account if they are indie or not. Saves on confusion.

Smile

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Dark Souls 2, Witcher 3, Deep Down are my "go-to's", tho there isn't even any confirmation whether Deep Down will even be released outside Japan / asia.

This i'm also keeping a close eye on: 

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion

Dark Souls 2, Witcher 3, Deep Down are my "go-to's", tho there isn't even any confirmation whether Deep Down will even be released outside Japan / asia.

This i'm also keeping a close eye on: 

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Me too! But, at least of this writing, it is not scheduled for 2014 release, a qualifier for inclusion on this list. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Divinity didnt make the list, a RPG inspired by Ultima 7

http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/

its already available on Steam early access

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/18/uproariously-glorious-divinity-now-on-early-access/

Why Divinity: Original Sin might be the RPG you've been waiting for

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-10-divinity-original-sin-preview

What Vincke is talking about is the variety and the interactivity that Ultima 7 demonstrated.

It gave players a world where, as well as taking on quests, fighting monsters and exploring the wilderness, they could manipulate, combine or craft with most of the items they found. The world itself could also be altered by player action and just about any character killed, regardless of the ethical or mechanical consequences. Its plot was open-ended. It gave players a lot to play with, without prescribing how they should play.

It's that same level of complexity that Larian are aiming for
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Nice, Nadia. I forgot about that one too.  Definitely on our watch list.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    OMG. No FF XIII Lightning Returns? Clear over sight on Suzie's part... I kid.

It did come out today though.

Also Bravely Default. Check it out.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    OMG. No FF XIII Lightning Returns? Clear over sight on Suzie's part... I kid.

It did come out today though.

Also Bravely Default. Check it out.

I just picked up Bravely Default, have yet to unwrap it though. So many games, so little time.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Tides of Numenera and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor !!!

ZOMG.