Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext F2P, too pricey?

Comments

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by Darwa
    That's for Everquest Next: Landmark. There's no price been mentioned for Everquest Next.

I doubt EQNext will be any cheaper, since that is supposed to be their main game. They're obviously hurting for cash.

Obviously they want to restrict somewhat how many players play Alpha and Beta, but nevertheless give players the option to play it in that early stage, which really want it.

But as much as i see it, it really did not worked out.. a lot to many bought it.. next time they should better charge 300$ for alpha and 150$ for beta(and even then a lot would buy it)... it is really mind boggling how many people want at any price be in a alpha or beta.. and this trend is not new either, look at almost all kickstarter projects or any other game.

The games though are free. I will wait, i really not that much of a alpha and/or beta player.. i do like finished and rather bug free products.. but thats me. ;)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Darwa
    That's for Everquest Next: Landmark. There's no price been mentioned for Everquest Next.

I doubt EQNext will be any cheaper, since that is supposed to be their main game. They're obviously hurting for cash.

I think the better question is what are people getting for the Founder's Pack. Or even will they end up with anything over and above the opportunity to play the alpha?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by gervaise1

will they end up with anything over and above the opportunity to play the alpha?

beyond playing early

alpha players have the opportunity to create saved templates that will last beyond alpha

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/everquest-next-landmark-preview-building-the-future-of-everquest

Templates form the backbone of Landmark. They allow you to save your creations for later use (like Photoshop's custom brushes), so once you've built an awesome home, statue, or other object, you can always have it available. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

They charge as much as a small console for their EQ Landmark game, which is still a game in a beta stage, how do they think they are going to get a large player base for EQNext with those kind of prices?

I've never seen a game that is so expensive, even most collector's versions of games aren't that expensive.

How can you ask $100 for a game in beta?

Can't tell if you are trolling or not...

Game is F2P. Purchase is for those wanting to experience the game early on and help develop it into what everyone else will eventually get to do free of charge.

How can they ask for people to pay for this? Easy. EQ has been around for 15 years and has devoted fans. Same reason people stand in line for days/weeks for iPhones, Star Wars movie tickets, concerts, etc. Supply & Demand.

Do you have to pay anything? Nope. Will those that do have a huge advantage? Nope. 

No clue on EQN itself, but can assume something similar will happen. As they've said "Open Beta" will be the soft launch, anyone is able to get in at the start (well Founders have a day or 2 head start I think), but really it isn't going to make or break anyone's experience.

Looking at Kickstarters like Star Citizen, it is obvious that there are plenty of people will cash to throw at companies, sight unseen. Luckily in Landmark's case, people got what they paid for and then some. It is great and only getting better.

Don't have the cash, not a huge EQ fan, don't really care, don't spend anything. F2P.

They've hinted that their cash-shop, F2P structure won't be as intrusive as EQ/EQ2 and that the SOE monthly pass $10-15 along with Player Studio (SOE gets a cut of all the P2P transactions), that they won't need to force paying down anyone's throat. We shall see though.

In the end, the Founder's Pack are just a easy way to limit the number of players in Alpha as seen by launch, too many too quickly can be a headache. I'm assuming that Closed Beta will be jammed packed with $20 buy-ins. They want feedback, but leaving the gate open is asking for a flood. They need to bring in the players and data in a manageable amount. So far it has been going great and I am more than happy to pay again for EQN. Compared to the $60-80+ I've spent on Collector's Editions of "finished" games in the past, I am a lot more satisfied with Landmark's Alpha so far.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

They charge as much as a small console for their EQ Landmark game, which is still a game in a beta stage, how do they think they are going to get a large player base for EQNext with those kind of prices?

They already have a large player base, if you had bought the founders packs you would know that. Don't worry about it, if you don't want it don't buy it, there are plenty of people that are enjoying making templates and getting to know the game, engaging in chat with the developers on the forum and overall just experiencing it from the beginning.

It's ok, you can play for free later. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It's Alpha, and honestly I think the 59$ is a steal.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Can we just close this thread and called a troll a troll?

Seriously, not the same game.  They're crying because they want things to be free.  Free server, free coding, free updates, free patches, free customer support.  Forget the dev's who need to feed their kids.  Better yet, just export their jobs to China.. I hear they don't have to eat... oh wait, even in China they have to eat?   

I truly dislike SOE.  I hate/hated EQ2 (especially when it first launched).  I thought PS2 was poorly done/handled.  Landmark looks like my kind of relaxing game, so I ponied up for it.  If you don't want to?  Then don't.  Get it for free whenever it finally releases.  Have fun digging and mining copper while I build my marble/mithril palace in the hills and already have all of my gear.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Yeah, OP is definitely a troll, since EQ2, for example, is what Free to Play should truly be. You get the full game to play without any restrictions at all... the only exception, being the latest expansion, which you have to pay for, and additional drops that you get for being a gold member.

Aside from that, EQN and EQN:Landmark, are subscription games.... they just have a Free to Play intro... just like all other SOE MMOs. Go look it up, you pay a monthly fee, and you get the entire content they have developed. Actual Free to Play games, have serious road blocks that prevent you from advancing unless you dump huge amounts of money into some mechanic of the game, be that leveling up weapons/armor, random style card purchases and other things.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

I've never seen a game that is so expensive, even most collector's versions of games aren't that expensive.

How can you ask $100 for a game in beta??

Ummm this is to get into alpha or beta...launch will be free.  "The game" doesn't start until launch. Alpha and beta are parts of the development cycle.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    It's funny, we used to complain when developers would charge money for incomplete games at launch, (aka a beta) now people pay extra for the privilege of playing early. And are thankful for the "opportunity"

Weird.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It's funny, we used to complain when developers would charge money for incomplete games at launch, (aka a beta) now people pay extra for the privilege of playing early. And are thankful for the "opportunity"

Weird.

Too funny and too true.

it's not like you'll run out of content in EQN:L though lol

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by bcbully

Too funny and too true.

Funny or not, plunking down $200 for my wife and me on Landmark is probably the best gaming decision I've done in a long time.

The community and our neighbours ingame is great. The forums are full of discussion.. some flaming but most of it comes from the passion you get from playing mmos since the turn of the millenia.

I think this comes from the $60+ price.

The developers are also very open and friendly, and although I've never been a big SOE fan, they have impressed me here.

And the most important part. My wife and me are having a blast with this game that is not much more than a tech demo at this stage.

I can't wait for what is to come :)

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    EQNext and EQNext:Landmark are both F2P at release.

$100 is a weird definition of F2P.

SoE's version of F2P tends to restrict major parts of their games, such as in EQ and EQII.

This one post shows a blatant troll.  EQ2 has no restrictions at all they removed them ALL.   EQ only restricts raid gear and 1k AAs.

And yes i bought the $60 pack best thing I've bought in 10 years MMO wise.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Raven322

Nothing is ever 'free'.

You will pay, or have a lesser experience. Your choice.

So then a lesser experience is free.

yup. guess i'll form my impression of the game based on the lesser impression.

That's pretty much the entire point of the model. You get an impression of the game based on what you have seen for free. You then make a decision about whether to stay for free, leave or drop a few dollars here and there to get a better experience and support the game you like.

If only it was that simple, but its not.  You will always be playing a lesser experience regardless of how much you spend in the cash shop.  In a pure F2P MMO there is always more to buy that makes you level faster, fail your crafting less, boost your stats.  There are no cosmetic items only in F2P MMO's that have no sub option.  The whole game model is designed to annoy you into buying stuff from the cash shop.  Have fun being annoyed.  Ill pass.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Theyve said it WILL be ftp at release, not that they wouldnt charge something for the people that wanted to get in first. With that said I was just wondering if you whine when the pizza delivery dude wants dollars for the pizza you ordered aswell?

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Unseen cost to F2P, bans are irrelevant to trolls. New random email, new account, fresh trolling. I still think P2P is a touch better (GW2) as that getting banned is gonna set you back $$ each time.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by idgarad

Unseen cost to F2P, bans are irrelevant to trolls. New random email, new account, fresh trolling. I still think P2P is a touch better (GW2) as that getting banned is gonna set you back $$ each time.

"Trolls" are present regardless of whatever the buy-in is. Sure it might help a bit, but if someone is willing to spend the time/effort building an army of accounts, they are probably willing to spend a few bucks to do so if it is a form of entertainment for them.

Not sure how easy it is, but banning IPs would probably be more effective then being non-F2P. The average jackass is probably less likely to go through the trouble of working around that issue, but again, if people really want to, they will find a way.

They've already said they don't want Grieferquest and are planning for such things, but no system is perfect. Can only hope that EQN doesn't make it easy for trolls to cause trouble and better yet, players have some form of self-policing to keep the troll population from breeding.

I wouldn't mind a requirement to spend $5 in the cash shop or X time played before someone can talk in global chats or other social aspects of the game. Nothing too crazy that someone just trying out the game would mind doing, but enough to keep someone from just making account after account.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    When I first saw those prices I thought they were kinda on the low side.  I've paid a lot more.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by bcbully

Weird.

Too funny and too true.

Ya know.. we now have people plucking out even more money for a game that hasnt left paper (kickstarters) . You might want to think about that one.

That said Im not against pre-orders, early alpha beta access through  founder packs, preordering, kickstarters, etc etc.

I have zero problem paying for my entertainment, nor do I have any problem what so ever investing in a product I have faith in.

But no I dont find these EQNL packs too expensive and I cant comment about prices for EQN since I simply put dont know them. It all comes down to what do I get for my $$.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    I think it's a fantastic way to choose alpha and closed beta participants.  You get people into the game while it still has time to change who have already proven they care about it's success.  Honestly, I think all MMOs in the future should operate their alpha and closed beta systems this way.  It results in a better community in every way, and one more interested in helping the game be a quality product.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

SoE's version of F2P tends to restrict major parts of their games, such as in EQ and EQII.

People are obviously willing to pay it, if not there is no real loss because it will be f2p at launch.

The plus side is that people willing to pay to play a beta are far less likely to not give it a really good test before saying anything negative.

Honestly I think it's kinda great, most p2p games give players beta access for free and lose sales because of it.  I'm not prepared to pay for it but I appreciate the players that do and I hope they give nice feedback and make the game better for all of us. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Weird.

Yup, sounds like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

lol

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Weird.

lol

If $100.00 gave you a voice on whether or not the NGE was added to SWG, and this was guaranteed to affect the outcome would you have paid it?

This is a game in development, and many of us chose to invest our money early in hopes our voices influence how the game functions upon release. So far, they are largely listening to their players, and there have even been "core" alterations to the game based on player feedback. Even art direction is changing, as their most recent poll about the "pulverizer" shows.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Sephastus
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Weird.

lol

If $100.00 gave you a voice on whether or not the NGE was added to SWG, and this was guaranteed to affect the outcome would you have paid it?

This is a game in development, and many of us chose to invest our money early in hopes our voices influence how the game functions upon release. So far, they are largely listening to their players, and there have even been "core" alterations to the game based on player feedback. Even art direction is changing, as their most recent poll about the "pulverizer" shows. 

Guaranteed?

What if you wanted the NGE to happen (just pretend with me here)...would it be guaranteed that you got your wish? The developers are going to do what they want with or without the communities "voice"

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

BOOOOOM megafacepalm!

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED