Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So glad Camelot Unchained will be limited to PvP only

13»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Satarious
    As ESO and WAR before it  have shown, pleasing everybody is an impossible feat.  It's human nature.  When you have PvE and IP obsessives pulling developers in all sorts of directions, you end up with a mediocre game that pleases no one and is just adequate at everything.  I look forward to an MMO that masters NON-INSTANCED RvR at the expense of everything else.

Except Camelot Unchained was funded by "pvp and IP obsessives" who wanted Dark Age of Camelot's faction pvp.

So let's not go calling the kettle black here.

It makes perfect sense for  a game that is based upon an IP or based upon and idea to have its proponents.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • The game will have PvE. Just that killing NPCs won't give XP and loot. Also. The Depths which is an RvR dungeon similar to Darkness Falls.

• jayndsunjayndsun Member Posts: 14

PvP only will not work -just look at the PvP DaoC servers... My concern  is we saw how the PvP server populations  where even at the HEIGHT of DaOC ..what 300 people MAX? 500?

while I loved PvP I didn't like the forced PvP when I was trying to level, getting killed over and over again by some 30+ year old loser or a 15 year old kid  gets old after a while.

I tried to roll on Mordred but quickly got bored, of:

a- getting killed over and over again, spending time running to a spot to level only to get griefed- no thanks

b- population almost no existant- in comparison to PVE/RvR servers

The game-from a lore standpoint-HAS To have some sort of PVE  or it will quickly deter new players away.

DaOC had a GREAT PvE + RvR model, I don't see why they would need to drastically change it

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by jayndsun

PvP only will not work -just look at the PvP DaoC servers... My concern  is we saw how the PvP server populations  where even at the HEIGHT of DaOC ..what 300 people MAX? 500?

while I loved PvP I didn't like the forced PvP when I was trying to level, getting killed over and over again by some 30+ year old loser or a 15 year old kid  gets old after a while.

I tried to roll on Mordred but quickly got bored, of:

a- getting killed over and over again, spending time running to a spot to level only to get griefed- no thanks

b- population almost no existant- in comparison to PVE/RvR servers

The game-from a lore standpoint-HAS To have some sort of PVE  or it will quickly deter new players away.

DaOC had a GREAT PvE + RvR model, I don't see why they would need to drastically change it

It's really not a fair comparison to point at the low population of DAoC PvP servers. They were a different kind of thing from what this will be. Mordred was free for all PvP with no built in alliances, so of course you get ganked a lot. CU is geared more toward RvR with others from your realm as natural allies.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    As ESO and WAR before it  have shown, pleasing everybody is an impossible feat.  It's human nature.  When you have PvE and IP obsessives pulling developers in all sorts of directions, you end up with a mediocre game that pleases no one and is just adequate at everything.  I look forward to an MMO that masters NON-INSTANCED RvR at the expense of everything else.

PvPrs are pretty happy with ESO, the ones I know. In fact ESO has gotten quite a few interested in CU. Personally I wasn't to big on the idea of CU. I didn't think a 100% AvA, fight fight fight game could work. What ESO showed me that if it's big enough (it wont be fight fight fight), and character development is good enough, CU can be pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by bcbully

PvPrs are pretty happy with ESO, the ones I know. In fact ESO has gotten quite a few interested in CU. Personally I wasn't to big on the idea of CU. I didn't think a 100% AvA, fight fight fight game could work. What ESO showed me that if it's big enough (it wont be fight fight fight), and character development is good enough, CU can be pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

It's not a 100% RvR game as many have said it does have some PVE content but not your typical mixed format mmo. There is PVE content but you don't gain xp or abilities from PVE because that all comes from RVR.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I really loved DAoC.  It was my first MMO that I purchased at release and continued to play for a couple years.  Personally I am really looking forward to CU, although the non-PVE scares me, I am still really interested in playing this game.  I love PVP too, so as long as they don't go the GW2 route, I am all good with it.

Bring it on!

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

It's not a 100% RvR game as many have said it does have some PVE content but not your typical mixed format mmo.

As for you, well most of us know it doesn't take a lot to impress you where mmo's are concerned you hype a different one every few weeks lol.

I'm surprised you are not spouting on about black gold to us.

I think you have me confused. 

TSW - 4 months - Awesome skill system and story. Terrible PvP.

Age of Wushu - 15 months - Awesome skill system. Awesome crafting. Amazing PvP. 15 months of f2p was all I could take.

ESO -  2 1/2 and counting -  Awesome skill system. Awesome Combat. Cyrodiil PvP has no equal in the Industry.

I'm hoping CU can top Cyrodiil and ESO's skill system, plus have all the combat goodies like block and attack control. 

Keep it classy image

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

Sorry.....  ESO is just terribad, and really? The Limited skills like guildwars? No speed classes, no healing? Come on now.

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

Age of Wushu - 15 months - Awesome skill system. Awesome crafting. Amazing PvP. 15 months of f2p was all I could take.

ESO -  2 1/2 and counting -  Awesome skill system. Awesome Combat. Cyrodiil PvP has no equal in the Industry.

I'm hoping CU can top Cyrodiil and ESO's skill system, plus have all the combat goodies like block and attack control. 

Keep it classy image

I suspect a whole lot of us do not share your opinion of what makes a quality skill system and good PvP.

TSW's skill system was awful and very dependent on your ability to find the weapon(s) you wanted to train for.  Players ended up wasting skill points.  I thought it's small group Vs small group PvP was okay (since everyone had the same limited skills), but the large scale PvP was mediocre.

Never tried Age of Wushu, so I can't comment on that.

ESO... sorry, it's a horrible skill system.  ZOS tried to create some kind of hybrid class-based/skill-based character development and failed badly.  Many morphed skills are much worse that the unmorphed skills; many supposedly higher level skills are  worse than the lower levvel skills; and there are dramatic inconsistencies in the design: e.g., heavy armor is worse than light armor.  PvP is run for five or ten minutes, join a zerg, die in less than a minute, resurrect far away from the battle and run for five or ten minutes, rinse and repeat, with horrible class balance, horrible balance between ranged and melee classes, and no use whatsoever for healers.  You have to be at the veteran rank levels to compete, and until the new realm structure is in place it's a waste of time to PvP in Cyrodil unless you're a veteran-ranked player.  Your performance in Cyrodil is very dependent on your ping; I'm usually under 50ms because of where I live relative to the servers; for an equal-leveled player with a high ping I can tear him up (a couple of friends and I tested this, coordinating with a long distance phone call for the time and place to do the combat, using low-level 15 characters so there wasn't too much of a skill mismatch).

In fairness, I haven't played with the latest patch which claims to have addressed some of the balance issues, but that in itself speaks volumes.  There are hundreds of bug fixes for a game all the fanbois love to claim has no bugs.  What ZOS needs to be doing is not just bug fixes, but a major adjustment of game mechanics and the poor way they've implemented a lot of the game's features.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Crafting, housing, pvp, and some exploring. It may be a niche market, but it's my niche market.

I didn't play DAoC in it's prime, but had a few months of fun later on when I was just trying games after a good long EQ, EQ2, and WoW run. 

Just finding out about this today so a little more research is needed, but I like the humor they've shown so far. The Abe Lincoln with an axe graphic may be my next tattoo.

a yo ho ho

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I am still confused why people keep saying today's MMO are trying to please everybody.

From the oldschool MMORPG's I have played we had allot more different gamers with different gamestyles that could have enjoyed those games. Today it's very different since most games are more combat oriented so in my opinion this genre today is far more limited in pleasing everyone compared to the old day's.

Anyway regardless I am enjoying ESO allot for what it is, found my own niche in it. I most definitly like the graphics in ESO but at the same time I enjoy it's gameplay again for what it is. If I didn't enjoy the gameplay graphics wouldn't have mattered.

As for CU it doesn't look like a game I want to play but can definitly see it's attraction towards other players. So I truly hope the game will and can deliver. 

Anyway I do feel we need more PVP oriented MMORPG. 

Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Keep it classy image

I suspect a whole lot of us do not share your opinion of what makes a quality skill system and good PvP.

TSW's skill system was awful and very dependent on your ability to find the weapon(s) you wanted to train for.  Players ended up wasting skill points.  I thought it's small group Vs small group PvP was okay (since everyone had the same limited skills), but the large scale PvP was mediocre.

Never tried Age of Wushu, so I can't comment on that.

ESO... sorry, it's a horrible skill system.  ZOS tried to create some kind of hybrid class-based/skill-based character development and failed badly.  Many morphed skills are much worse that the unmorphed skills; many supposedly higher level skills are  worse than the lower levvel skills; and there are dramatic inconsistencies in the design: e.g., heavy armor is worse than light armor.  PvP is run for five or ten minutes, join a zerg, die in less than a minute, resurrect far away from the battle and run for five or ten minutes, rinse and repeat, with horrible class balance, horrible balance between ranged and melee classes, and no use whatsoever for healers.  You have to be at the veteran rank levels to compete, and until the new realm structure is in place it's a waste of time to PvP in Cyrodil unless you're a veteran-ranked player.  Your performance in Cyrodil is very dependent on your ping; I'm usually under 50ms because of where I live relative to the servers; for an equal-leveled player with a high ping I can tear him up (a couple of friends and I tested this, coordinating with a long distance phone call for the time and place to do the combat, using low-level 15 characters so there wasn't too much of a skill mismatch).

In fairness, I haven't played with the latest patch which claims to have addressed some of the balance issues, but that in itself speaks volumes.  There are hundreds of bug fixes for a game all the fanbois love to claim has no bugs.  What ZOS needs to be doing is not just bug fixes, but a major adjustment of game mechanics and the poor way they've implemented a lot of the game's features.

Whoa whoa cowboy, don't let your ESO hate bleed over here too. It doesn't really matter what you think or what you like. It has no basis on if I will enjoy CU.  I'm not really sure why you took this opportunity to bash. Do you have a problem with me saying ESO is the reason I'm now interested in CU? Is that a bad thing? 

I hope CU's play area is huge. I hope it has awesome combat, and a awesome skill system. If it has those 3 things, thanks to ESO I have learned that I will be able to enjoy CU. Prior to, there is no way I would have thought that this could work.

Again, I'm looking forward to more info and more CU videos. What are we looking at 2016?

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

Supposedly Q4 2015, but I think Q1 2016 would be a better bet.  If your interested on getting in on the front line you can get a pre-order and access to the founders forums for 35$(that's where most of the game discussion takes place).

There is a big info dump comming starting July 14 with a bunch of contests and staff interviews. I'd catch it on twitch if you can.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Your thinking is spot on.

Chivalry medieval warfare is PvP only, but guess what- it's currently the best medieval combat game I've seen, I socialize in it 10 times more than ESO, I team up with others 10 times more, and I have tons of fun.

The moral of the story: Doing a few things really damn well is sometimes better than doing too many things with mediocrity.