Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe reviews ESO Beta

Comments

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Tanr
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

My favorite part about this review is how at first, Angry Joe is enjoying himself until his sidekick starts pointing out what he sees as flaws & begins to criticize the entire series. He slowly sways Joe from his enjoymemt of the game to the enjoyment of ridiculing it. If they don't like the ES series, why would they like the mmo version? Bias review is bias from the get. The only reason he pumped out a shallow review consisting of only lvls 1-9 (which are the introductory tutorial levels) was to capitalize on the popularity & hype of the beta to get more hits on his youtube channel.

All this video shows is how Angry Joe is a hamfisting opportunist & puppet who is easily swayed by his peers.

Angry Joe is an angry joke.

LOL, this post is awesome.

I'll second that.

I think in general there are so many "sheeple" out there. People need to learn to think for themselves and stop letting others tell them what to think. 

agreed, horribly amateuristic as a game reviewer. Note to self: Never read his reviews or watch his videos again. I want my few minutes back.

I don't agree with Angry Joe so I am going to attack his personality and style. I mean with that facial hair there is no way he can give a professional opinion right? Or how he curses and yells so loud! He is practically a savage. Or how he got bored with the game after a handful of levels? Really how can you like something for 5 minutes and then hate it later.  He is obviously being bought off.....Well I am not sure who his puppeteer is yet but its not fair at all!  Of course if he had freaked out about how great this game was i would be supporting him and saying he is just excited by who amazing this game is.

Back in reality though  it is a good measuring stick on what to expect from console gamers.  That is the target audience right? Those multi millions of people who bought Skyrim on xbox and playstation.  If AJ is not impressed I get the feeling that a lot of other console gamers will feel the same way.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Didn't think there would be still people left taking reviews as objective facts. It's some person(s) opinions presented in a (hopefully) entertaining manner. And if you are not watching it for the entertainment factor, as long as you know what else they liked/disliked you can deduce what it means for your enjoyment of the titles.

That being said, Joes biggest flaw is his naive struggle to please everyone and not to offend anyone, which he didn't try to do in his earlier reviews, resulting in them being much more entertaining. He's getting pretty close to the point where you can use his reviews as a basis for bullshit-bingo.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by 43%burnt

Didn't think there would be still people left taking reviews as objective facts. It's some person(s) opinions presented in a (hopefully) entertaining manner. And if you are not watching it for the entertainment factor, as long as you know what else they liked/disliked you can deduce what it means for your enjoyment of the titles.

That being said, Joes biggest flaw is his naive struggle to please everyone and not to offend anyone, which he didn't try to do in his earlier reviews, resulting in them being much more entertaining. He's getting pretty close to the point where you can use his reviews as a basis for bullshit-bingo.

its pretty much common understanding that everyone who says 'this game sucks' is stating their opinion.

The video feels exactly like zenimax has said it is and many of us are not remotely intrested in such game play anymore.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    The fact people are agreeing with a guy who only made it to lvl 10, then wrote/said his review is pretty damn sad. Pretty sure he didn't even try out the PvP, pretty sure he didnt try out "Adventure Zones", yet hes voicing his opinion on a very small part of the game, assuming the entire game is like that small part. Angry Joe is just not a bright person, no excuses, if you agree with him then well... sorry that happened, that's unfortunate. And I'm not even going to go into his whole "this game should be f2p" argument because I facepalmed waaay to hard.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Its unfortnate that from this review and no other review showing how questing is any good that they are repeating the mistakes of swtor by having VO, but simple quests.

I would rather play a game that had a lot of text based quests but good combat, and fun quests that are varied instead of a long winded story/quest. Especially since I have my variety of story with comics, books, anime etc, that even in mmos that claim to bring story barely touch on the style that exists that I would consider entertaining just on its merits for story telling. So the point is, story and VO are too much of an all-in, disregarding other aspects of the mmo to consider it viable as an investment option for mmo developers.

Yes, VO looks like quality, and that a seems to be the highest priority by including VO is to make the game appear like a high quality game to charge higher prices... but sacrifice other parts of the game which over time become appearent for its weaknesses... which in cases like swtor with an mmo that was static with NPCs, no day/night cycles, linear quests, quests are essentially very similar to each other, etc that a game becomes f2p.

However, the pvp in eso seems more thought out than swtor, so there is that. I can still see eso being very popular... and i do hope i am wrong that mmo devs and their investors dont try to include VO at the cost of developing a better MMO. 

I guess its a matter of priorities... and to me, it makes no sense for a company to put a lot of effort into the jounrey to fall short on questing by not inluding some dynamci events, different kind of quests with single epic bosses, to plat forming, puzzles, waves of npcs attacks, to mini game scenarioes with sports, cards, racing, mounted combat, artilerry, mini strategy games with tower defense etc etc ... but have high quality music, VO, multi classing, large open worlds for pve. The priority seems off... and developers will say that mmos are many games in one... with different systems, but when the questing system is simple it looks to me just like one game that has an online mode which maybe might make it look like 2 games in one, sure... but, for vets of the genre paying for a tripple a mmo, im sure im not alone with the perception that this is mediocre to have simple quests, and should be instead a priority. 

Kinda sad to hear that about eso... even though i really would have likes to try orcs, among other great options in their game... but the sound of it being grindy and repetitive questing is not something i want to journey through... ill wait for a video to see a whole quest line and then judge to see and ofc w/e the pvp has to offer.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Incomparable

Its unfortnate that from this review and no other review showing how questing is any good that they are repeating the mistakes of swtor by having VO, but simple quests.

I would rather play a game that had a lot of text based quests but good combat, and fun quests that are varied instead of a long winded story/quest. Especially since I have my variety of story with comics, books, anime etc, that even in mmos that claim to bring story barely touch on the style that exists that I would consider entertaining just on its merits for story telling. So the point is, story and VO are too much of an all-in, disregarding other aspects of the mmo to consider it viable as an investment option for mmo developers.

Yes, VO looks like quality, and thats to be the highest prioroty by including VO is to make the game appear like a high quality game to charge higher prices... but sacrifice other parts of the game which over time become appearent for its weaknesses... which in cases like swtor with an mmo that was static with NPCs, no day/night cycles, linear quests, quests are essentially very similar to each other, etc that a game becomes f2p.

However, the pvp in eso seems more thought out than swtor, so there is that. I can still see eso being very popular... and i do hope i am wrong that mmo devs and their investors dont try to include VO at the cost of developing a better MMO. 

I guess its a matter of priorities... and to me, it makes no sense for a company to put a lot of effort into the jounrey to fall short on questing by inluding some dynamci events, different kind of quests with single epic bosses, to plat forming, puzzles, waves of npps attacks, to mini game scenarioes with sports, cards, racing, mounted combat, artilerry, mini strategy games with tower defense etc etc ... but have high quality music, VO, multi classing, large open worlds for pve. The priority seems off... and developers will say that mmos are many games in one... with different systems, but when the questing system is simple it looks to me just like one game that has an online mode which maybe might make it look like 2 games in one... 

Kinda sad to hear that about eso... even though i really would have likes to try orcs, among other great options in their game... but the sound of it being grindy and repetitive questing is not something i want to journey through... ill wait for a video to see a whole quest line and then judge to see.

Questing is not "generic", don't wanna break NDA but try it for yourself.

The questing in TESO somewhat differs from WoW or FFXIV (which i like a lot) or Lineage typical themepark.

• WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Tanr
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

My favorite part about this review is how at first, Angry Joe is enjoying himself until his sidekick starts pointing out what he sees as flaws & begins to criticize the entire series. He slowly sways Joe from his enjoymemt of the game to the enjoyment of ridiculing it. If they don't like the ES series, why would they like the mmo version? Bias review is bias from the get. The only reason he pumped out a shallow review consisting of only lvls 1-9 (which are the introductory tutorial levels) was to capitalize on the popularity & hype of the beta to get more hits on his youtube channel.

All this video shows is how Angry Joe is a hamfisting opportunist & puppet who is easily swayed by his peers.

Angry Joe is an angry joke.

LOL, this post is awesome.

I'll second that.

I think in general there are so many "sheeple" out there. People need to learn to think for themselves and stop letting others tell them what to think. 

well whatever have you seen AJ's review of skyrim.? or other his videos?

you are most likely doing the exact same thing he is, forming your opinion on 1 video

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis

The questing in TESO somewhat differs from WoW or FFXIV (which i like a lot) or Lineage typical themepark.

Yes it is. As we CAN say now since the beta reviews have said so.

There are kill X amount of y and gather x amount of y quests. The things they said there would NOT be at last years PAX.

Every single MMO brags about their innovations during their betas to hype their game, TESO has none to brag about and thus all the proof anyone needs that it has standard questing.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by JJ82

There are kill X amount of y and gather x amount of y quests. The things they said there would NOT be at last years PAX.

Every single MMO brags about their innovations during their betas to hype their game, TESO has none to brag about and thus all the proof anyone needs that it has standard questing.

All right. We get it. You really don't like ESO. That's cool.

There's "normal" quests in ESO. Quests we've pretty much seen again and again, countless of times in MMO's. But there are many unique quests as well, that are deeply intertwined with lore, that tell small interesting tidbits of story. It's entirely subjective whether you feel that's generic or not. Some will, others won't. I don't think it's generic. I think many of them are interesting.

Originally posted by Adokas

There's "normal" quests in ESO. Quests we've pretty much seen again and again, countless of times in MMO's. But there are many unique quests as well, that are deeply intertwined with lore, that tell small interesting tidbits of story. It's entirely subjective whether you feel that's generic or not. Some will, others won't. I don't think it's generic. I think many of them are interesting.

yeah...so there are a lot of Elder Scrolls players who do not care about ANY quests or any LORE

just so you know...

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

yeah...so there are a lot of Elder Scrolls players who do not care about ANY quests or any LORE

just so you know...

Erm, okay?

just so you know...

Erm, okay?

do you have any idea whatsoever why I mention this?

just so you know...

Erm, okay?

Can't claim that I do, nope! It's probably wooshed right over me ;p

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Telondariel

He's a guy.  With an opinion.

Except that his opinion carries  a ton more weight that just some random dude.

He gets a ton of views, so his social influence factor is quite high.

I mean when it comes to it - every reviewer is just a guy/girl with an opinion right? Their opinions shape the public opinion, that's what media does - it can sway public opinion in a huge way.

Good word of mouth can help games sell a lot, bad word of mouth kills game sales dead.

At the end of the day the number of people who agree with an opinion doesn't mean squat about the validity of that opinion.  Millions of people are of the opinion that some of Justin Bieber's music is good.  Doesn't change my opinion or make theirs more right.  Agree or disagree with what the man shared, at the end of the day I'm perfectly capable of making my own informed and intelligent decision based solely on the 1 opinion that matters to me.

just so you know...

Erm, okay?

and there lies the problem. Just like Zenimax...doesnt get it at all.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Unique is a relative term. They can include the words "hurm dip de do" in quest text and suddenly its "Unique" and not like other MMO's. It's entirely subjective whether you feel that its orgasmic or not that they twisted the lore to fit a bad game design which basically makes any lore related quests basically worthless and actually insulting the more you loved the IP. Some will, others won't. I don't think it's child rearing worthy. I think many of them are antiquated garbage not worth having to pay to do yet again in an environment that isn't bringing a single thing NEW to the table.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

[mod edit]

Unique is a relative term. They can include the words "hurm dip de do" in quest text and suddenly its "Unique" and not like other MMO's. It's entirely subjective whether you feel that its orgasmic or not that they twisted the lore to fit a bad game design which basically makes any lore related quests basically worthless and actually insulting the more you loved the IP. Some will, others won't. I don't think it's child rearing worthy. I think many of them are antiquated garbage not worth having to pay to do yet again in an environment that isn't bringing a single thing NEW to the table.

And it's completely fair that you feel that. What's not cool is the way you practically jump down peoples throats for thinking it's good.

I don't think it's the next great thing. But I like it. So try not to overreact about that. I don't think the lore is insulting. I like ESO, I also like Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind. *shrug* They're good games. Perhaps I just take gaming a bit less seriously than you do?

Quite frankly, I'm happy that I do.

just so you know...

Erm, okay?

So what did you want? An Elder Scrolls sandbox? Well, we didn't get that. It certainly would have been awesome.

It can still be a good and entertaining game for some people, however.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by McSire
    The fact people are agreeing with a guy who only made it to lvl 10, then wrote/said his review is pretty damn sad. Pretty sure he didn't even try out the PvP, pretty sure he didnt try out "Adventure Zones", yet hes voicing his opinion on a very small part of the game, assuming the entire game is like that small part. Angry Joe is just not a bright person, no excuses, if you agree with him then well... sorry that happened, that's unfortunate. And I'm not even going to go into his whole "this game should be f2p" argument because I facepalmed waaay to hard.

Well the max level that can be shown is 15.  It is Zenimax fault for putting that restriction on if at level 15 it magically becomes amazing.  As a first impression type deal they should have set it up better to show how great the game is. What makes you think Joe is not bright by the way?  He is smart enough to have a popular show talking about video games for a job. You can disagree with him all you like but trying to bring in doubt his intelligence is not a good way to disprove him.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

Honestly, its like do you like the game or not? He didnt seem to like it which is fine but wtf would F2P change about this repetitiveness he said it had.

"This game is horrible!... but it'd be the greatest game ever is it was F2P. The greatest off all time!!!!"

Seriously? Is there an F2P lobby somewhere buying out the media or something? You pay a sub because you (A) like the game and (B) want access to all the content and not be constantly blocked by pay gates (its what you pay for in the end). Yeah, Zenimax is doing a shitty job of P2P but to say the game would only be fun as F2P is b/s. Unless of course he thinks browsing through cash shop items and unlockables adds more of this "fun"  he claimed was lacking.

All right. We get it. You really want to have ESOs babies. That's cool.

And it's completely fair that you feel that. What's not cool is the way you practically jump down peoples throats for thinking it's good.

I don't think it's the next great thing. But I like it. So try not to overreact about that. I don't think the lore is insulting. I like ESO, I also like Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind. *shrug* They're good games. Perhaps I just take gaming a bit less seriously than you do?

Quite frankly, I'm happy that I do.

Funny how its only those that disagree with you that are "practically jumping down peoples throats" yet it doesn't apply to those that do agree with you. It seems to me I am seeing those that like the game outright dismiss everything said bad about it as if it doesn't matter while also doing everything possible to marginalize those in disagreement and their reasons for it.

Do your best not to overreact about that, perhaps I take gaming a bit less seriously than you do? even though I keep replying and doing my best to make you look bad by making redonkulous comments like the one I just did.

Try to note the sarcastic irony just used.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

just so you know...

I'm happy to see the ones who care about neither GTFO. 

ZOS' accountants may feel differently, but that's their case to make.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

Do your best not to overreact about that, perhaps I take gaming a bit less seriously than you do? even though I keep replying and doing my best to make you look bad by making redonkulous comments like the one I just did.

And this is why you're dismissed out of hand.

just so you know...

Erm, okay?

So what did you want? An Elder Scrolls sandbox? Well, we didn't get that. It certainly would have been awesome.

It can still be a good and entertaining game for some people, however.

Its kind of like Ford saying 'we have a new truck its awesome' and when it comes out its a fiat and then some fans of ford are confused as to why some truck lovers are not interested.

reallly?

Originally posted by KaosProphet

And this is why you're dismissed out of hand.

"Try to take note of the irony just used"

It was important to leave that part of my post out so you could make that comment.